Half a Life

Half a Life

A Chapter by Solidad

Marriage is a funny thing; the way it lays gently cloaked around your shoulders but any sudden movements and it quickly changes into a noose.


This didn't become a realization until Eli and I both had to learn how to live with half a life. Some bounce back faster then others where as some remain stationary in their grief. In this case I was left unscathed where Eli was the later of the two.


It was as though I woke up one morning and decided,
"I don't want to be married."


We met with lawyers and assets were split. After that talking to Eli was like calling your 5th grade teacher to wish them a happy birthday. There was a chance they'd remembered you and it would be a very awkward conversation.


He tucked a fly away behind my ear, "I'm gonna miss you."


"That'll fade," what else was I suppose to say?


We didn't trace hands with fingertips anymore, no chemistry, touching lightning. Suddenly Eli and I were worlds apart. He was fragile, holding onto frayed edges of our pretend life, baby-faced photographs years before one another. Who we were then a surprise to us now.


There was no remorse in my eyes. Merely wonder at the fact that I'd pretended for this long. I thought I loved him, then again I guess that's why no one pays me to think.


Time would eventually pass and I wouldn't be such a large hole in his heart.

Laying all pictures of the past face down on a mantel of loss.


Giving back his name and packing my bags,

a movement, a revolution, an embrace of hallelujah.


And with that I signed the divorce papers,

"Sicily Adele Cale"



© 2011 Solidad


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This woman has a ton of strength. I love her stubborn personality. It seemed to me that she simply couldnt be tamed. I had to wonder if she was wild at heart or if perhaps he just wasn't the rare man she needed him to be.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 31, 2011
Last Updated on June 3, 2011


Author

Solidad
Solidad

FL



About
"I own everything that has happened to me. I'll tell my stories and if people wanted me to write warmly about them; they should've behaved better." -Unknown more..

Writing
Abhorrent Abhorrent

A Poem by Solidad


Fridays Fridays

A Poem by Solidad


Lamictal Lamictal

A Poem by Solidad