THE WHITE SHADOW

THE WHITE SHADOW

A Story by Joy
"

He's the only one that can defeat the white shadow of death, but he loves her . . . Alright guys, this is part 1 of another one of my books I just finished writing. yup, medieval like always.

"

 

 

 

THE WHITE SHADOW


 

 

 

PROLOGUE

 

 

 

 

 


"They say-- you have had an encounter with her.” 

     The voice was quiet but it hurt like it was a knife digging into Firmin’s brain. He groaned, tried to get rid of it, but even just the man’s breathing grated loudly. Unceasing. The effort behind it excruciating.

     “They say that you had offered to protect your town by hunting her. That your father and your friends also helped.”

     “Stop,” Firmin rasped, wanting to cry out. To send everyone away. All these questions. Trying to bring him back to the painful memories of months ago. To make him suffer. He didn’t want to revisit. Didn’t want to breath. To struggle. Didn’t want to think about her. Why couldn’t they just let him rest?

     “That you could see her in her true form,” the voice continued.

     Shut up! Firmin tried to squirm, to open his eyes. To wake up. His muscles refused to budge, his bones grinding. He drew in another quivering breath. It had felt like a lifetime ago, and still he lay in bed, paralyzed.

     “They tell me that you had found a way to keep her from attacking you.” Firmin heard the chair creak as the man leaned forward. So that his breath touched his face, like searing flames. “Until the very end.”

     He saw her face flash in his mind. With it, pain came. He wanted to run but felt like he was being tied down.

     “That was what your friends told me. What I heard from the others. But tell me, Firmin, how did you survive the white shadow of death?”

     Firmin stopped struggling. Gave in to the memories. The feeling he had been dreading . . .

 


 

Part 1

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

REINA

 

 

 

 

 


Water! Firmin climbed over another rock before kneeling by the small stream of water. Dipped his hands into the miniature creek and brought the liquid to his cracked lips.

     Wondering where its source might be, Firmin filled up his water and followed the little brook. The sun, as it climbed higher in the sky, grew so hot and bright that it hurt to look at the white sand rock.

     Strength surged through him as he saw a water hole. He stumbled those few paces and collapsed right in front of it. Washed his face, letting the water drip down his neck. He groaned, looking down at the blood on his thigh.

     It had been three days now. The hunting party had run all out of water, and had sent Firmin to look for some. So they could water them and their horses. Fill their flasks and continue.

     Firming shook his head. Continue sleeping. They had merely sent Firmin to get water because they had none, but Gutherd had said they should sleep in the day and continue hunting when dark.

     Shadow hunting.

     Ridiculous.

     “But this shadow is white,” Gutherd had said. “We will never find it at day. However watch out, just because it cannot hide from us in the dark doesn’t mean it isn’t here in the day. So we stay low in light and hunt in the dark.”

     But there were far greater dangers. As Firmin dragged himself back to where he had left his packs he thought of those five bandits that had attacked them.

     “Firmin, take these!” Aethelu had shouted to him, tossing him the bag of all the herbs.

     Firmin had run with the sack, knowing the worth of all the herbs. He’d had one of the bandits chase him but eventually lost him, had fallen from a boulder and gashed his leg on a sharp stone.

     Really, he couldn’t believe that their mission was to bring down a white shadow. Yes, the warnings were grave, but Firmin was just not convinced.

     “And watch out, this shadow is wicked. I hear it can shapeshift. Never let your guard down.”

      Yes, he’d heard plenty of its danger. “It sucks the energy from whatever it touches,” Firmin said to himself, what he had heard so many times, “and if it covers you it will drink all your life.” Firmin shook his head. How nasty. Only--did he actually believe this legend? What his mother had told him to scare him because he’d sneak out in the night with his friends when he was younger? It had never worked.

     Firmin finally made it back to where everything was at--where they had all been camping before they’d been attacked. Firmin had gone back again but had found no one there.

     He sighed and sank down beside the packs. He opened one leather bag and looked inside. A sharp smell cut his breath off, and he closed it immediately. This was the stuff to kill the shadow, or at least repel its bite. Well, it nearly had the same effect on Firmin himself. Everyone carried some of that, but it stank awful.

     Firmin opened another sack. Looked inside, saw leaves and vials, but had no clue what was to use for what.

     He took out his knife and cut a piece from his cloak. He had to wrap his leg. He gritted his teeth. Nay, should stitch it. Though it was likely to infect if he wouldn’t properly treat it.

     He spotted movement beside him and he looked up.

     As close as they had camped to the road, he was surprised to find a woman beside him, standing over his bags and looking through them.

      Firmin beheld her fair skin, yet it was scratched and dirty. The largest and saddest eyes. She wore a white and tattered dress, was barefoot, and wore a silver circlet in her black hair. She was startling.

     Firmin watched her silently, then suddenly realized that she was looking into one of the special bags Aethelu had entrusted to him!

     “Can I help you?” he asked, standing up.

     The woman jumped, dropped the entire bag.

     “Sorry,” said Firmin. “I did not mean to shock you. Are you alright? What can I do for you?”

     She just looked at him. She looked so haggard, so thin. So weary and afraid. Pity welled inside Firmin, and his troubles were suddenly unimportant.

     “Here,” he said, reaching out to take her hand as she swayed so much he was sure she’d collapse. Or, by her horrified expression, run.

     She gasped as he led her to the rock he’d been sitting on. He knelt down in front of her and reached to his water flask.

     “I found a water hole,” he said, “from a stream nearby. Here, drink. You’ll feel better.”

     She took the flask from him. Still trembling and ogling at him, she brought it to her lips and gulped down the water.

     “Are you hungry?” he asked. Wrong question. He had no food.

     “Yes,” she blurted. “So hungry. And cold.” She gave another two backward glances over her shoulders.

      “Cold?” It was midday. Firmin was thankful for the shade the trees provided. She really must be sick.

     The young woman nodded, shivering.

     “Well, I can build you a fire,” he said, though that felt awkward.

     She nodded vigorously. “Yes, fire.”

     So Firmin stood up and gathered sticks and twigs. Felt the woman’s eyes on him constantly.

      He crouched low in the middle of the clearing, wincing. He’d forgotten to wrap his leg. A spot wider than his hand covered his thigh with blood by now.

     He groaned and put his hand over the cut. Looked up and saw the woman by the bag of herbs once again.

     She picked up a dark green leaf. Like with all Aethelu’s potions, Firmin knew only a little bit and the herb would take effect. Too much and you could feel far worse than before. He’d tried just a bite too much before and had nearly passed out.

      “I wouldn’t--”

      Too late. She’d stuffed the entire leaf in her mouth. She chewed for a few moments, then looked deeper in the bag. Still in a crouch, she made her way to Firmin.

     Amazing.

     “Give me some water,” she said, her voice sounding soft.

     Firmin reached for his flask--it felt nearly empty. She’d just drank this in what, three seconds?

     The woman rubbed the different leaves in her hands together, until they were crumbs in her palm, and then she stuffed them into the flask. “Drink this.” She slowly reached out and handed the pouch to him.

     Firmin hesitantly took the flask from her hands. Put it to his lips, tilted back, and drank. Whatever, right?

     He flinched as pressure on his thigh sent pain searing across his wound.

     The woman held a piece of cloth over his leg. “I fix this, and you make me a fire,” she said, her voice sounding sweet. No longer trembling like his mother shaking out the wet laundry.

     He laughed at the thought. For some reason, despite all the pain, he found himself laughing--and he couldn’t think why.

      The woman looked up at him and laughed too.

     As she continued, Firmin created a small fire. She’d stitched up his leg and tightly wrapped it before she held up the bag of herbs. “You take this potion,” she said, holding up a very small vial. “But not now. Tonight, when the moon is full and shining into the water hole you spoke of, pour just a little of this into a handful of the water touched by the moon, and drink it. I have helped to ease the pain. The water shall cleanse your wound.”

     She sat back, looked deep into the fire. Reached out with her hands until she touched the flames--almost like she’d wanted to grab them. She cried out and jumped back.

     She looked at Firmin. “Do you have anything in any of those bags that might rid the pain of a burn?”

     Shadow killer perhaps? “This is meant to kill off unwanted things, so maybe this will help,” he said, as it really was the only other stuff he carried. He reached into his thick leather pouch and dipped his hands into the powder.

     She gasped. Backed away. “No,” she said. “Put that away.”

     “What?” Firmin asked, looking at the black stuff in his hands.

     “I, uh--what’s your name, anyways?” She started growing paler--whiter. “Say something--please.”

     Firmin looked down at the powder in his hands. Shapeshift. No, it could not be.

      “No, please, just--” she gulped, took in another hitch of air. “I--I am Reina. You are so kind--what is your name?”

      “You’re afraid of this,” said Firmin. Held up the black powder in his hand. Shadow killer.

     She shrieked and suddenly disappeared. Something incredibly bright flitted over a rock and disappeared behind another bush. Her scream still fading.

     Firmin just stood there. What was he to do? Cast the powder on the shadow the instant you feel it might be there. If your suspicion is not right, you will have done no harm.

     But he couldn’t bring himself to move, to attempt a chase.

     Something rustled behind him. Rushing footsteps scrambled his way. A woman panting. He turned around, drawing a knife with his other hand.


 

 

 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

IN THE DARK, A SHADOW LURKS

 

 

 

 

 


Firmin continued to watch the trees. There was silence for a while. A twig snapped behind a large boulder on the left this time.

     “Come out of there!” he demanded.

     “Firmin?”

     He grew confused at the familiar voice. A woman came from behind the boulder. “Roxanne?”

      Tall, strong, two years older than Firmin’s age of four and twenty, he was yet unsure why the mayor hadn’t selected her for this year’s hunt. She had the skill of an archer and a tracker, had hunted in the woods closer to the town before.

     “What are you doing here?” she asked. Her hound, Barny, trotted beside her, ears perked upward.

     “Well that’s what I’m asking you,” Firmin said, not able to deny how surprised he had been when she hadn’t protested, not even a little bit, when the ones chosen for this mission were called forth and she wasn’t included.

     She smiled, somewhat mischievously. “I snuck along, of course. What, did you think I’d stay without a fight?”

     “You didn’t fight,” stated Firmin.

     “I didn’t stay,” she said. “Now, what is going on? Where is everybody?”

     “I, uh, I don’t know.”

     She eyed his bandage. Looked him over. Firmin knew she had seen but he hid his black powdered hands behind his back. Why was he doing this?

     “Oh, Firmin, what happened?” she asked, falling to her knees in front of him. She began unwrapping his bandage.

     “What are you doing? Why are you--

     “Because this looks awful. No doubt you didn’t properly--” She stopped. “Oh. It’s not so bad.”

     Firmin was annoyed that she thought him so incapable. Yet the pain really only was a reduced amount and the stitched wound was clean.

     “Really, though, what did happen?”

     “We were attacked by--

     “The evil shadow?” she asked, looking up as she rewrapped his bandage.

     He shook his head. “Bandits. And I lost my way.”

     “You are lucky then,” she said, giving him that wide smile. “I”--she patted her dog’s head--we will help you find them.”

     He should tell her that he had been talking to her, the evil shadow. But she hadn’t seemed evil. Only afraid. And kind. And Firmin was not sure what he would do if he’d see her again. The way her eyes turned from finally relaxed to horrified made him nearly regret pulling out the powder.

     But what would he ever tell the others?

     Maybe Roxanne would understand. But she had just called her the evil shadow. She hardly deserved that name.

    “Remind me again,” said Roxanne, crouching over a rock and studying the ground, “who has been selected for this shadow hunt?”

     “Sir Gutherd--

     “Oh, stop. I mean, that haven’t been before. That Gutherd leads this party, that I know. Didn’t Aethelu demand to join this party?”

     Firmin nodded. “I mean, she knows her herbs. And I wouldn’t say her name without a miss first. She takes offense fast.”

     Roxanne huffed. “I fear not her trouble. That miss is just way snobby.”

      “Well, since she is the mayor’s daughter, she was somehow able to bring her newfound lover with her, Sir Tris.”

     Roxanne looked up. “What does he do?”

     Firmin shrugged. “Not sure. I think he and his father were merely passing through this town, and he took an interest in Miss Aethelu. I suppose that is enough.”

     Roxanne shrugged and turned back to studying the ground. “I suppose Carson is here too?”

     “Yeah.” Firmin was somehow unsure whether Roxanne had feelings for his best friend, though she never made any obvious act. Firmin hadn’t yet found it in him to bring the subject up.

     “I know we have the advantage now,” said Roxanne, “but when dark it is also when I am scared of the shadow.” She shuddered. “When I could see it.”

     It. She was a woman in person. “So beautiful.”

     “What?” Roxanne turned and looked at him.

     Wait, he had said that aloud? Curse his lousy habits! “The night,” he said calmly. “Despite the danger lingering in it, it’s still--beautiful.”

     Roxanne looked at him. Seconds passed. Firmin smiled slightly, feigning confusion.

     Roxanne spun around. “I cannot see anymore,” she said defiantly. Did he say something to make her upset?

     “But Barny can smell them, right? He can see.”

     She nodded, looked down, then smiled up at Firmin. “Yes. It is, after all, bright with the moon.”

     Barny started yapping. “He caught a sent,” Roxanne said, excitement in her voice. “He senses something.”

     Firmin looked around himself. Was it her? The white shadow? He didn’t feel very afraid somehow.

     Roxanne gripped her bow tight and pushed through the bushes. Firmin didn’t know what she saw and so followed her.

     A twig snapped back and flew into his eye.

     “Oh, sorry,” said Roxanne, voice trembling. “Firmin, it’s them!”

     “Oh,” he said, rubbing his eye. He shoved aside branches and walked on.

     Sure enough, he saw Carson and Gutherd.

     “Where’s my son?” His father pushed past Gutherd and Carson. He grabbed Firmin in a quick and tight embrace.

     A short figure dressed in black stepped forward. “Do you have what I gave you?” A demanding voice. Aethelu.

     Firmin handed her the bag of herbs. Knowing she would notice anyways, he said, “I had to use a little bit of the potions, I’m sorry.”

     She said nothing and whisking the bag from Firmin’s hands, she walked back to Sir Tris’s side. He offered Firmin a slight smile.

     “It’s good to know you escaped them, uh, Firmin, was it? See, the bandits caught the most of us and took us captive. But the Burey Brothers--they’d managed to be missed!”

     “Like I said,” said one of the two brothers. Despite how different they looked, Firmin could never remember their names nor which one was which. “We were the only smart ones and climbed up a tree. Where we were then forgotten, and when their guard was dropped, we snuck up on them.”

     “Took you long enough,” said Carson. Turned over and met Firmin’s eyes. “We got them tied up now. Tomorrow we’ll see if we can bring them to the nearest village and lock them up. It is good to see you Firmin. And Roxanne, what a surprise.”

     “Come everybody,” said Firmin’s father. “Let us return to our new camp. We heard someone approaching and thought it might be you. But you, Roxanne, I did not expect to see.”

     “Yes that shall wait until we settle down and eat,” said a Burey Brother.

     Firmin walked along with them, glad to be reunited with the rest of the party.

     “Gutherd?” It was Tris, voice unsteady. He and Aethelu had gone ahead of the rest. “You might want to see this.” Aethelu screamed.

     Firmin rushed to the clearing. Roxanne nearly overtook him on his left and the others all followed.

     Firmin stopped and looked left and right. All around, bodies were tied to the trees. Firmin stood in horror, studying the closest bandit.

     There was no blood on him, yet it was obvious he was dead. He was pale, eyes closed as if sleeping peacefully. Skin seemed shriveled. There had been no sound.

     “They’re all dead,” Tris said.

     Firmin knelt down and felt for a pulse. There was none. He felt only an icy cold that sent a chill deep within his bones.

     Shuddering, he got up.

     “And already, the white shadow has found its prey,” said Gutherd, as he sliced one of the bandit’s wrists and no blood came forth. His words set a heavy silence over all.

      Tris suddenly drew his sword, tore a handful of black powder from his pouch. “We must be ready! The bandits were all rendered incapable, but we are aware and armed.”

     “Silence, fool!” Gutherd hissed. He looked around. “It is near but not likely to strike again soon, now that we are made aware and an entire load of bandits has been devoured. Still, we must be wary. Firmin, have you found water?”

     “Aye sir, just a little up north. Close, actually, to where we all were before.”

      “Good. Then we move our camp, back to where the bandits have taken us from. Aethelu, make sure our pouches remain filled with the shadow killer. Tris, before you jump to start a war, make sure you know how to use the blade you wield. Everyone, make haste. In the dark, a shadow lurks.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

WITHIN THE GROUP

 

 

 

 

 


"Miss Aethelu, could I have just a little bit more of your wonder potions once more?”

      “You basically took half,” she said, with her typical pouty frown.

     Hardly a few leaves. He really wondered if she would have noticed had he not said anything.

     “Where are you going, anyways?”

     “He kept it safe, like you wanted,” said Carson. “Wouldn’t it be fair if he’d just have a little more?”

     “Fine. But I’m coming with you.”

     Firmin shrugged. “You’re more than welcome to.”

     Aethelu sighed. “I’ll be back in a second, my love.”

     “Where are you going?” Tris asked.

     “Just a little upstream,” said Firmin. “Not far, just back to the water hole. Can’t believe I forgot to fill my own flask.”

     Tris nodded slowly, keeping his eyes on them as they departed.

     “You and Sir Tris really have a good thing going, don’t you?” It had only been a few weeks since Tris had come to town and already Firmin expected the for the bells to toll any day after their return.

     She groaned. “Ugh, just do what you came to do, Firmin.”

     Never attempt a pleasant conversation with Miss Aethelu. It didn’t seem to matter if one treated her nice or not, except she would always find a way to come back nastier if you intentionally annoyed her. She was pretty, he supposed, overall being a small woman. Bright blonde hair and dark eyes. She always wore colorful, typically red or dark green, clothing.  

     Firmin knelt by the edge of the lake. The moon reflected in the still water. Firmin poured some of the potion into the water where it shone silver. He watched it ripple and sparkle.

     “What are you doing?” Aethelu tore the vial from his hand.

     No matter. It had been done. Firmin slipped his hands into the cool water and brought them cupped and filled to his mouth.

     It tasted normal, perhaps with a bit more sweetness than usual, and when he swallowed it the liquid slithered down his throat.

     After he had drunk the moon touched water, as she had said, he stood up.

     Aethelu was smirking.  “What was that?”

     “Thought it might help.” Everything she had done so far had. They must be mistaken about her.

     “Now what gave you that notion?”

     “Just a bright idea, I guess.” He still felt he shouldn’t tell that he had seen her. The shadow. What difference could it make, anyways? All he could imagine would happen was Gutherd think him all the more incapable, and a whole lot more chaos would ensue too. And fear. But really, nothing good.

     “Well, you done? Let’s go back.”

     Firmin nodded. “All finished. Thank you for accompanying me, fair lady.”

     She huffed and spun on her heel. Marched back towards camp but slowed her pace and kept close to Firmin. Somehow, he still believed she trusted him--enough to throw him--not Tris--the bag of herbs. Someday, he promised, he would bring that up.

     For now, he kept his eyes sharp, though he was near to certain the white shadow would not show up. He still couldn’t believe that the same innocent and kind woman that had aided him had murdered those bandits. She had just seemed so afraid, so desperate to trust Firmin. So fragile.

     As soon as they reached camp, Gutherd appeared from behind a boulder, so that Firmin jumped.

     “What were you doing?” His voice was strained. Which meant he was angry.

     Aethelu seemed to know the trouble they were in and went to Tris, who was sitting by the fire. Roxanne was looking at the two of them, seeming confused.

     “You shouldn’t jump out from behind a corner like that,” Firmin said, turning back to Gutherd. “One might be scared and attack.”

     Gutherd growled. “No more sneaking out, boy. We’ve had enough misfortunes already, and you don’t seem to understand the seriousness of our situation.”

     Firmin walked on to the fire.

     “Perhaps I was wrong to have you included in this party,” Gutherd said.

     Firmin stopped walking. He wanted to say something, but what?

     Gutherd walked away, disappearing in the shadows once again.

     Commotion came from the fire. Aethelu was glaring over at Roxanne. Those two in an argument, that couldn’t be good.

     “Don’t turn this back around on me,” said Roxanne, “I told you. I didn’t talk Firmin into anything. I have no clue what he was up to. Which is why I asked you. Anyways, I don’t owe you an explanation.”

     Aethelu clenched her jaw tight. “Why is she here, anyhow?”

     Roxanne shook her head. She pointed at Tris. “Why is he here?”

     Tris looked up, suddenly aware of the argument. He’d just been resting until now, with his head in Aethelu’s lap and his fingers playing with her hair.

     Aethelu’s face grew redder. “Because I willed it.”

     “I’m sorry, Sir Tris,” said Roxanne quickly. “I did not mean to insult you.”

     Tris stood up. “I came here to help, that’s why I am here. I may not have Roxanne’s hunting skills, be as smart as Carson, as strong or shrewd with knives like--what’s his name--

     “Firmin.” If only Carson were here, instead of discussing their plans with Gutherd. Probably a wise idea, Firmin had to admit.

     “Yeah, but I have a sword that, with time, shall be as swift as my father’s.”

     “I could show you, if you’d like, how to fight with knives,” Firmin offered, hoping to smooth all the ruffled feelings.

     Tris looked over at Firmin. “Yeah,” he said. “I would like that, thank you.”

     “Tomorrow, at first light then.” Firmin met Roxanne’s guilty stare and winked.

      “I--

     “Merely jesting. Come over here and I’ll show you some now.”

      Tris smiled down at Aethelu, then followed Firmin.

      “Alright, hear me, everyone,” Gutherd came, Carson and Douglas beside him. The Burey Brothers stood on the other end of their camp.

     “Tonight and tomorrow we rest.”

     Firmin sighed. Everyone else did too.

     “We have had a very rough few days,” said Firmin’s father. “We need to rest.”

     “But also we need not drop our guard,” said Carson. “Just because we are not on the hunt does not mean the shadow isn’t.”

     “Wisely spoken, lad,” Gutherd said. “Aethelu, I need to have a word with you.”

     Aethelu blew out a sharp and annoyed exhale. She stood up, kissed Tris on the cheek, and followed Gutherd.

     Tris followed her with his eyes until she disappeared. Even then he wouldn’t turn back.

     “Shall we get to it then?” Firmin suggested, grinning slightly.

    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

 

THE HUNT

 

 

 

 

 


Darkness was falling. Firmin felt the restlessness of the rest of the group. But he?

     The shadow could have killed him but hadn’t. He wasn’t afraid. Just uncertain.

     Had he been bewitched? He had at first been unsure whether she was as evil as said, but all those dead bandits had proven the point.

     “Since the two of you seemed to have had luck together before,” said Gutherd, “we shall pair you, Firmin and Roxanne, together. And Douglas as well.”

     His father winked at Firmin.

     “Yes, Aethelu, Tris shall be aiding you, as well as Gordon. I, Carson, and Fredrick shall be the final group. Now we shall not leave far from camp. Do not hesitate to use the black powder. Aethelu can make more, but she cannot fashion life.”

     “Also,” said Carson, “it is important to note, that though caution is above all else to be used, for this is a very dangerous mission, the shadow cannot hide from us. We have an advantage. Do not forget that.”

     “And to finalize it, do not try to fight it,” said Firmin’s father. “Knives, swords--they shall do nothing. It is a shadow. The one and only defense we have is our powder. Coat your weapons if you like but the physical blade shall not penetrate.”

     If he could catch her human form once again--Firmin believed that was his only chance.

     Her screams suddenly cried out in his mind. She was afraid of him.

     She had shown kindness. His leg had nearly healed--he could not believe how only a night later, he felt no pain. It was as if he had only scratched himself.

     Her laughter had been beautiful. Revitalizing. How could this angelic woman be the same as that murderous shadow?

     He shook his head. He needed to find out.

     But no one should know.

     “Firmin?” Roxanne was staring at him. “Are you ready?”

     Not so much really. He nodded. “Let’s do it.”

 

 

hg

 

 

In the dark of the trees, Firmin followed behind Roxanne and his father. He glanced behind them, to his right and left.

     “I still believe in bait,” Roxanne whispered to Firmin.

     “That’s us,” he told her.

     She frowned. “I hope she won’t take it then.”

     He shrugged. “We’ll just have to know what to do if she does.”

     “She?”

     “Quiet!” hissed his father.

     Firmin pretended he was checking his surroundings once again. What would he do if she’d come again?

     A scream made Firmin jump.

     “Over here!” Tris’s voice.

     More screams. Shouts. A thud.

     “Aethelu,” gasped Roxanne.

     “Quick!” Firmin’s father ordered. “This way!”

     Roxanne dashed under a branch and disappeared behind a boulder, following Firmin’s father out of sight.

     Firmin stood, frozen. There was silence.

     He heard whimpering. Running footsteps. A woman crying. “Aethelu?” he asked, alarmed. What had happened?

     It wasn’t Aethelu. The woman was dressed in white, was taller.

     The white shadow! Her eyes met Firmin’s.

     “What did you do?” Firmin shouted and ran at her.

     “It wasn’t me!” she wept, falling to her knees.

     “What happened?” Firmin demanded.

     “The man--he fell off a tree because he saw me and was afraid. He fell and--couldn’t move!”

     “Who!” Climbing a tree. Probably a Burey Brother.

     “I don’t know,” she sobbed. “But he’s alright now.”

     “What do you mean?” Firmin dropped to the ground beside her. Lifted her face. He gasped, not able to believe how pale, how gray, she was. Eyes red and full of tears. Her entire body was trembling.

     “He lives,” she gasped. “He is well--he is well.”

     “But you’re not,” Firmin said, as she inhaled another shallow breath.

     “I gave him life,” she whispered. “As I have done to heal your wound.”

     She looked up at him. So vulnerable. Could be dead within a second, all it would take was--

     She collapsed and lay writhing. Flickering but not fading.

     Firmin looked away from his coated dagger. No. He would not kill her this night. He took her hand and squeezed it.

     Her breathing calmed. A strange feeling swept over Firmin. Energy coursed through him. She needed him. She trusted him.

     “Thank you,” she said softly.

     Firmin was not sure what was happening. But he heard his name being shouted in the distance. Faintly. Footsteps too.

     Something flickered in her eyes. “Let go, Firmin,” she commanded. Tore her hand from his.

     A quick flash of light. She was gone. It was a dim light that slithered through bushes and over rocks. A white shadow that disappeared in the dark.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5

 

 

 

THE DEATH OF OTHERS TO GIVE

 

 

 

 

 


 "I still don’t understand,” said Roxanne. “When I came to see what happened to you, I saw you on the ground. I thought maybe you were hurt.”

     Firmin just kept himself busy, stuffing dried meat and bread they had taken along into his mouth. He saw Roxanne stare at him, not understanding. He felt a pang of guilt but just continued to ignore her questions.

     “I swear,” said the Burey Brother that had fallen, “I had the shadow this close to destroyed.”

     “Now, now, Gordon,” said the other brother, “you ran. Climbed up a tree, but that was good. I am so glad you weren’t killed.”

     “No,” Gordon shook his head. “No, I didn’t run. I went up the tree and then I took out my powder. And then--I fell.”

     “And broke your back,” Gutherd said, frowning. “That shadow was very close to you.”

     “Perhaps it healed him,” Firmin said.

     Everyone--his father, Carson, Gutherd--everyone, stared at him. Tris seemed bewildered. Aethelu just looked at him with disgust.

     Carson looked at Roxanne, then turned away as if Firmin hadn’t just spoken. Gutherd glowered at him while no one spoke.

     “What was that, son?” his father asked. He seemed so confused.

     “I don’t know, I wasn’t there, but still. You say the shadow touched you after you fell, uh, Gordon, and then you felt better, right?”

     “I--I don’t really remember. I just know I fell, and was in so much pain. I was covered by the shadow, and I was so certain I’d die. I couldn’t move, but then, the pain--it all left.”

     “So what Firmin says makes sense,” Aethelu said, seeming surprised, as if that were something bad. Or just annoying. Or just generally an odd thing.

     “Except what we are talking about,” said Carson, seeming even more annoyed, “is the shadow of death.”

     And that was end of the discussion. Everyone returned to whatever they had been doing. Firmin just followed and continued eating.

 

    

hg

 

 

He’d felt so warm but cold after. The touch of her hand had caused much strength to course through him. And now he felt weak.

     Firmin closed his eyes, turned over onto his left side. Trying so hard to sleep in the heat of midday. No, it must be afternoon by now.

     Firmin shivered and pulled the thin blanket over his shoulders. Why was he so cold?

     “Let go, Firmin,” she had commanded. Her sweet voice in his mind brought a strange peace over him.

     Firmin opened his eyes. He felt a chill through his spine. He sat up. Only Fredrick, or whichever one of the brothers it was, sat awake. He held black powder in his hands.

     What had Aethelu done with this new batch? Firmin could smell the powder in Fredrick’s hand from the other side! A horrible stench.

     Firmin coughed.

     Fredrick jumped and turned. “Ah, Firmin.” He pulled back his raised hand. Black powder had seeped between his fingers and billowed like smoke in the air.

     Firmin stood up. “I forgot,” he said. “Gutherd told me to water the horses.” He needed to walk and stretch. And breathe. This shadow killer stuff was just too much.

     Firmin left camp, hoping not to wake anybody.

     As the sun sank low, dark shadows started to settle in the forest. Firmin wandered aimlessly in the trees.

     “Reina,” he whispered. He sensed her presence. Had been for a while but the feeling intensified. He smelled the soothing fragrance. Felt calmed.

     He turned and saw her, bent over the stream of water. She looked up at him. “Firmin?”

     Her voice was trembling. Her eyes sunken. Lips an ashy color.

      Firmin felt an ache in his heart as he looked upon her. So weak. He walked closer to her.

     “I am dying, Firmin,” she whispered.

     No! “Dying?” Firmin rushed closer and fell to his knees beside her. He picked her up and held her.

     “Firmin,” she said, laying in his arms like an injured lamb. “I am afraid.” She swallowed. Took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “Please, let go.”

     He felt she needed him. And he needed her. “Tell me,” he demanded. “What is going on?”

     “I have given too much life to the dying man,” she whispered. “I need the life of others to live. The death of others to give. To give them life.”

     Firmin felt desperation wash over him. Yet he was beginning to understand. “Take from me,” he said. He took her hand. She took in a trembling breath.

      “No, Firmin,” she said, trying to draw back her hand from his. “I do not wish to kill you.”

     “What?”

     “Did you not--did you not listen to what I have said? I need life to live.” She met his eyes. “I’m afraid that if I would try--I would kill you. I have no restraint. Which is why when I give life--I give all. And when I take--

     She grew limp in his arms. Was she breathing? Yes. Yes she was. “I am not afraid,” he said. He grasped her hand. Bent over her and put his lips against hers.

     She tried to pull away, but was too weak to refuse. Finally she stopped struggling, grabbing his face. Growing relaxed.

     As they kissed, Firmin felt his strength waning. But he continued to kiss her. Watched as the light returned in her eyes. As she drank in his energy. Sucking all strength from his body.

     And then he felt her life. It was a wild fountain of joy. Overflowing. Giving him strength. She got to her knees in front of him. Still kissing. Exchanging life. His to be hers. And hers to be his.

     There was no going back now.

 

 

hg

 

 

“Firmin.” The voice was a faint echo. Yet it was harsh. Not the pleasant voice he had been wishing to hear--had been hearing all this time. He did not want to open his eyes. Wake up from what could have only been a dream.

     “Firmin!”

     He finally looked up and saw his father look down on him. Felt a pang of loneliness as he heard Reina’s voice at the back of his head, floating, soft.

     “He does not appear to be injured,” said Roxanne. The anxious pitch in her voice hurt his ears somehow.    

     Firmin sat up, feeling dizzy yet revitalized. Content yet yearning for more.

      “Son, what happened?” His father pulled him back to reality.

     Firmin stood up, ignoring his father’s outstretched hand. He felt Gutherd’s constant glare. Met his eyes and instantly looked away.

     “Nothing,” he said. His head was pounding. He wanted to rest. No, he wanted Reina.

     “Really?” Roxanne just looked at him. “Nothing? We find you on the ground, not responding, and all we get is nothing?”

     “I mean--I don’t know. I just went to get some water and then fell asleep I guess--

     “Water,” Gutherd opposed. “We have water.”

     “Yeah,” said Firmin, taking a drink from his flask. “We do now.”

     “You fell asleep?” His father’s evident concern just made things worse.

     “It looks as though you need sleep,” said Roxanne. “Firmin, you look pale.”

     He shrugged and walked past them. Gutherd grabbed his arm tight.

     Firmin looked into the man’s eyes, trying to keep his expression passive.

     Gutherd continued to stare--as if he could find an answer. He finally released his firm grip on Firmin’s arm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

ONLY LIFE AND DEATH

 

 

 

 

 


 A scream in the dead of night brought Roxanne and Firmin’s father running towards the thick of the forest. But Firmin feared not. It was her, Reina, doing what they had planned together.

      He instantly rushed the other direction. Hid behind a tree. No, they hadn’t noticed him slipping away. He knew that as he saw Roxanne’s skirt disappear behind a hill.

     What was he doing?

     “Firmin.”

     He jumped and saw Reina, standing in the dark. Smiling shyly at him.

     Firmin felt lighthearted suddenly and grabbed her hand. Pulled her with him and led her between two trees, under a branch, and over a boulder.

     She laughed behind him. Firmin wasn’t certain at first where he was leading her, but the treeless terrain in front of him, pale rock against the moonlight, with just a trickle of water passing through, seemed perfect.

     Her lips met his.

     “Reina,” he whispered.

     “Do I terrify you?” she asked softly.

     He stroked her hair. Looked into her eyes.

     “Or do you feel alive?”

     He just gazed at her. Something had to be done. Yet he wanted nothing else. He watched her expressions change. “I wasn’t always this way. I am forced--to be this way. To seem evil in the ways of humans.”

     “I don’t think you’re evil.” Her smile was too pure. The kindness she had shown was true. Her innocence was not blemished. She carried no guilt. She was life, not death. “People blame you for the wrong actions. They just don’t know.”

     She smiled. “I know. I merely survive.”

     “What?”

     “I feed on the life of others, so that I may live.”

     “So it is you?” Firmin asked. “You that kills all these people? The bandits tied up?”

     “I do no wrong thing, Firmin,” she said with such sincerity, he believed her. “Do you blame the wolf for hunting?”

     “Why do you do it?”

     “Because they made me this way,” she said. If she possessed such a thing as anger, he saw it now. In her eyes. Something deep within. Hidden by her true nature. “I have ever walked a lonely path. People never have been a great part of my life.

     “I once encountered an old man. He seemed so sad. Had come to the forest to die. I didn’t want him to. Even then, I feared death. And so I begged the witch of the mountains to grant him life.”

     Witch of the mountains? Another legend he did not believe.

     “But it came at a cost I was not ready to pay. She promised that not a single drop of blood would be spilled, so I agreed.

     “She took my life. Gave it to him. I faded in fear, into a shadow. I had to suck the life from the very man I had saved to survive. Cursed with the fear of death, I hide and I take life. So that I may save myself and the dying.

     “But people are evil. They will see me dead, just because I do what I need to survive. Just like they do by trying to kill me.”

     “This--this is so twisted,” said Firmin. Yet he could find nothing wrong with her logic. Couldn’t make sense of why she felt no remorse of the lives she took, yet why should she? “There has to be a way.” Where neither was right about the other or wrong about themselves.

     “I don’t want to die,” she whispered. “And this form of a white shadow allows me to hide when I fret.”

      “So how did I see you? How do I see you now?”

     She shook her head. “When I am with you, I fear not. I feel alive.”

     Firmin shook his head from side to side. “You cannot live like this.”

     “There is no other way. I must eat to live.”

     “Then we figure something out--a fair way.”

     “They try to kill me. So I defend myself and do the same. Is that not fair? They have unity and therefore strength. I am alone and therefore hidden and with nothing but what I fight for to lose.”

     “I have to tell the others,” said Firmin.

      “No, that will not--

     “I cannot keep doing this,” he said. “How can I keep pretending in front of my friends? How can I keep you safe if I still have to help them? I am--I am torn.”

     “No,” she whispered. “They want to kill me.”

     “But maybe we can change that--

     “You cannot change me, Firmin.”

     “Then we change them.”

     “There is no way they and I will live in this world in harmony. There is only life and death. And a fight for one and against the other.”

     “Let’s create something new,” Firmin said, taking her hand. “Reina, trust me. I will make all right. You have nothing to fear.”

     “Firmin,” she said quietly. Her last plead, he could tell.

     “Trust me.”

     Like a lost child, she looked into his eyes. Waiting to be saved and led home from a forest filled with wolves. “I do.”


 

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

DEATH

 

 

 

 

 


Who should he tell first? And how? Definitely not Gutherd. Not yet. He needed support. So they had decided to do it another time.

     He heard a bush rustling and jumped. “Reina?”

     He saw a figure, a woman--long dark hair, a bow. Roxanne.

     She seemed upset as she stepped around the tree she had been hiding behind. “What gave me away? I was so quiet following you.”

     “Since how long?” Firmin stood frozen. Perhaps it would be for the better if she had just heard them talking rather than him explaining.

     “Don’t act like I don’t know the little adventures you take, Firmin,” she said, sounding cross, worried, and disappointed at the same time.

     Firmin just looked at her. Waited to hear what she had to say.

     She seemed to be waiting as well. Then she rolled her eyes. “Really? I was hoping I could make you say something. Because at every chance, Firmin, whenever someone is not looking, you disappear.”

     Firmin sighed, pretty sure that had she known, she would have told Gutherd. “Tomorrow night, before we go hunting, I have something I want to show you all.” Well, not everyone.

 

 

hg

 

 

“No,” said Aethelu. “I refuse to rid of my only defense against this shadow. My dagger, I can give up. The sword of my lover as well. But not my special brew of shadow killer.”

     Firmin sighed as Tris stood by Aethelu’s side.

     “What is all this about, Firmin?” Carson, the only one Firmin had really been certain would listen to him, was questioning him from the start.

     This was never going to work!

     “I will follow,” said Roxanne, dropping her bow. Her quiver was laid down next, and then, with an obvious amount of hesitance, she let go of her bag containing the powder.

     Aethelu gasped, then snatched the sack of powder. “Now you have proven that you are unworthy of my potions.”

     Carson sighed.

     “Trust me,” said Firmin, hopeful. “Where we go, we will none of this. That doesn’t mean we don’t have need of your expertise, Miss Aethelu.”

     She huffed, grabbed the excess of her robes, and marched back in the direction of the camp.

     “Tris,” Firmin said, but like a faithful pup, the man followed Aethelu.

     “Fine, Fir,” said Carson, putting down his pouch. “Show us.”

    

 

hg

 

 

“It is quite a way from here,” said Firmin excitedly, as he led the other two in the direction of where him and Reina had last met.

     “Your silence is killing me,” Firmin dared comment.

     Still neither spoke. Firmin stifled a sigh. Parted several branches in front of him. Here. Just beyond that--

     “Firmin!” The shout made him jump.

     “That sounds like Aethelu,” said Carson.

     “Who else could it be?” Roxanne asked.

     Firmin forced himself to stop walking. He could feel the pull become stronger the closer he got. Reina was there--he could feel her, feel that light that radiated from her smile, that sweet love from deep within her.

     “Firmin, come on!” Roxanne called to him. Grabbed his arm and dragged him with her as she ran.

     Firmin hesitantly turned, then followed her and Carson back to camp.

 

 

hg

 

 

“Their gone,” Carson gasped.

     Indeed, they all were. The silence was eerie.

     “Aethelu, what did you see when you came here?” Carson spoke to break it.

     “N-nothing,” she stuttered, holding her hands up to her face. “Tris told me to tell all of you and then--

     “Tris--where is Tris?” Roxanne asked, turning side to side.

     “I think he went in search of the others,” Aethelu wailed. “Oh, what shall we do?”

     “Find Tris,” said Firmin.

     “No,” said Carson, flinging his hand in front of Firmin. “We have no idea where he went.”

     “I could track him down,” Roxanne offered. “Barny could--

     Carson held up his hand. “We shall wait for him to return. We can’t risk searching for him right now.”

     Aethelu gasped. “What--that is ridiculous.”

     “Do you not trust your lover? No, we have to plan this out more carefully. It could be a trap.”

     “Insolence! And let Tris fall right into it? I shall not have it. Roxanne, get your woof to smell out Tris and the others--

     “Wait,” said Firmin.

     “Wait? But Firmin--

     “Quiet! I think I hear them.”

     The leaves rustled, louder. Barny perked up his head. Aethelu sniffled. Started for the trees but Firmin reached out and grasped her arm.

     Bushes parted, and Tris came running forth. Panting, looking desperate.

     “Oh, Tris,” Aethelu nearly sobbed.

     “What happened?” Carson demanded.

     Tris stood, wide-eyed, catching his breath. His sword in hand. “They have been taken. All of them. Even Gutherd.”

     Firmin gasped. Felt his heart race and sweat form. Everyone. “Father,” he whispered.

    

 

hg

 

 

The sound of Carson’s feet dragging in the dirt as he paced back and forth irritated Firmin more and more, especially as it was in no way regular.

     He needed to think. But when he closed his eyes to concentrate, he could only see Reina’s face. When he tried to ignore the pacing of Carson he heard her voice.

     “Firmin? Where are you?” Like she was right in front of him.

     Nonsense! She probably was relieved he wasn’t to come with his friends. “Quiet,” he whispered.

     “Firmin!”

     He opened his eyes. It was Roxanne. She must have been speaking to him.

     “What are you thinking about?” Her concerned face came into focus.

     Firmin just sighed and grabbed his aching head. They have been taken. By bandits. Perhaps the same as the ones to first make an encounter? The memory of all the dead marauders, tied to the trees, flashed in his mind. “Reina.” She could help.

     “Firmin! What are you talking about?”

     “Roxanne,” said Firmin, standing up. “I may have an idea.”

     Carson’s pacing stopped. Tris looked up to him.

     “But not all of you will like it.”

     “What options do we have?” Aethelu complained. “Just out with your idea. It may stink as a pigsty, but so does out situation.”

     “Then release all of your shadow killer and follow me.” Firmin spun on his heel and marched away from their camp.

     “No, Firmin, we need a plan,” Carson insisted.

     “I have one!”

     “Then share it with us. We cannot just--

     “If you all follow me I will show you.”

 

 

hg

 

 

“Reina?” Firmin spoke, as he reached the same place he had met with her yesterday. He saw her nowhere. But he felt her. “Reina, it’s me, Firmin.”

     He heard Roxanne whispering behind him. To Carson.

     “Shut up,” Aethelu hissed.

     “Reina, it’s alright. It’s me. You can come.”

     He finally saw her. Step away from the shadows and slowly walk towards them.

     “Firmin?” Roxanne said behind him. “Who is she?”

     “Reina, we need your--” he quickly held out his hand to Reina, just as she collapsed. “Reina, what’s wrong?”

     “I--I am weak,” she said.

     Firmin felt his heart thump faster.

     “I haven’t eaten in days.”

     “Not true, do you not remember when we--

     “I need more,” she rasped.

     “I have some leftover bread with me,” Tris offered.

     Aethelu scoffed. “Seriously? Carson said we need a plan!”

     “Aethelu,” said Firmin. “Perhaps she could help. She has herbs.”

     “I need life,” she whispered.

     “The white shadow,” Carson whispered. “Firmin, step back!”

     Roxanne gasped. Tris whispered for Aethelu to run. Foolishly drew his sword.

      Firmin quickly turned around. “Everyone stop!” The truth was out now. “Listen to me.”

     Carson shook his head. “Firmin--

     “I said wait!” Firmin pled. The warning tone in Carson’s voice made him jump in front of Reina. He glanced behind him, saw the light in her eyes flicker. Her skin grow brighter--fading. No, no, no . . .

     Firmin grabbed Reina’s hand tight. He would not let her run. Would not let her hide. “Yes, she is the white shadow!” he shouted, so all could hear.

     Aethelu and Roxanne gasped--the only time Firmin remembered them to have done something in harmony.

     “But she is not evil,” Firmin said. “I assure you.”

     At this, Carson and everyone stood more or less still.

     “What are you saying, Firmin?” Roxanne asked.

     What was he saying? Killing people wasn’t evil?

     No. She had no choice. “I will need all of you to calm down so that I can explain. All of it.”

     “That can wait,” said Carson. “Right now, we need to find a way to release those that have been captured.”

     Firmin nodded. “And Reina is out best option. He bandits shall have a respect for the white shadow but no time to pay it.”

    

 

hg

 

 

The hand that grasped his own was weak. And Firmin knew the trust between them all was as well. But it was Carson that had decided to take lead in action to help their group.

     Reina gasped behind him. He felt her weariness. Not only in the way she dragged him behind but in his heart. Made it difficult to breath.

     Firmin swallowed. Nearly stopped. Squeezed her hand.

     “Firmin, come on!” Tris whispered.

     Firmin looked briefly into Reina’s eyes. She sniffed, grasping tightly to his hand with both of hers. And though he felt her feasting on his little energy left, the life that coursed through her also allowed him to breathe again.

     “Firmin!” This time Tris grabbed his arm and pulled him with him as he led them to where he had seen the rest of them. He was startled as he felt the liveliness of the man.

      “Stop before we actually stumble into their camp, though,” Carson whispered.

     Tris ran on for another twenty paces, then stopped. “Just beyond those boulders and patch of trees,” he panted.

     “Reina,” said Firmin. “Take only those that are keeping our men captured.”

     Reina’s face grew pale so that Firmin thought she was dying. Fear in her eyes before a flash of white took her over and continued past the boulders.

     “No, Firmin!” Carson snapped.

     Firmin ignored him and followed Reina’s white shadow.

     The others did so too, all trying to remain quiet but Firmin felt the need to hurry. He trusted Reina. She would take the right men. Surely her state would not blind her.

     Then again--did she care as to whose life she took?

     Firmin climbed over a boulder and watched as, in the clearing in front of him, a frenzy occurred. Men fell. Men screamed. Men ran.

     Oh God . . .

     He focused more closely. Saw the white shadow passing over a man before slithering over to the next two. One of them was holding a rope--to which Firmin’s father was tied to.

     “Father!” Firmin shouted. Could only watch as the white shadow slipped over the rocks, the ground, and overtake the man keeping him captive.

     “Yes!” Firmin exclaimed. He felt tears of joy moisten his eyes. Strength and courage pulsed in his veins, growing. And yet, as Reina gained life, his father and friends were safe. Unharmed by the white shadow.

 

 

hg

 

 

Firmin ran into his father’s arms. Laughed, and broke the embrace. “Reina,” he spoke. Feeling truly happy.

     She stood--looking like a bride. Hopeful. So alive. Yet fragile. She trusted him.

     Firmin grabbed her arms and looked into her eyes. “Things will be just fine--see, I have proven a way. Things will work! Everything can work.”

     She gasped, but with joy. He felt it. That pure light shining in her soul. “Firmin,” she whispered.

     He laughed. “I found a way, Reina. I told you--

     She grabbed his face and pulled him into a kiss from which Firmin knew he could never break from.

     He heard approaching footsteps. “Firmin?” Roxanne’s voice. Small. Sad.

     “Step aside, Roxanne.” This was Carson’s voice--whispered voice. With warning. Warning Firmin that something bad was about to happen.

     Firmin turned around slowly. Not wanting to. Felt his heart hammering with fear. Reina grasping his hands tight. Gasping.

     Carson stood, no more than several paces from them. There was a darkness settled over his expression. Roxanne stood behind him. Carson was reaching into his coat.

     “Carson, what are you--

     Carson withdrew his hand--black powder seeping between his fingers. Before Firmin could react, he flung his hand foreword and tossed the blackness into the air.

     “No, Carson!” Firmin choked and broke into coughs as he turned to Reina.

     She screamed. A deathly gray overtook her. Veins of black spread over her ashen face. There was fear in her gaze as she met Firmin’s. And something else. The injured look of being betrayed.

     But before she collapsed, a flashing white overtook her--and everything else. Firmin wanted to close his eyes but the blinding light pierced deeper than just through his eyes.

     He couldn’t breath anymore. Felt his heart’s beat grow faster but to no avail. Gasping, he fell to his knees. He wanted to scream for help but his voice hardly managed a rasp. Panic overtook him. He groaned.

     As the white continued to consume him. Spending his energy, taking his sanity and robbing his consciousness. Speaking to him. There is no way they and I will live in this world in harmony. There is only life and death. And a fight for one and against the other.

     Firmin tried to fight it, to breath, to keep from drowning, but the force of death had overtaken him. Draining him of strength--his very essence.

     “Firmin!” a muffled cry. Echoing. Distant.

     Firmin felt the rough ground slam against his face. The blinding white slowly fading into gray.

 

 

© 2019 Joy


Author's Note

Joy
This is only part one!! Pleasseee!! let me know what you thought and what you think will happen. Review on story, on grammar, on the writing--everything!! Seriously guys, i'd love to hear--read--your critics.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It might help you to go to your public library and ask a friendly librarian to point out straightforward guides suitable for your age, present ability and aims. Ask questions, say many thank yous! Before you know it, you will have a guide, adviser and casual friend who will be more than happy to help you through various of the early stages - in your own time. Meantime read recommended novels. But try to vary your genres, perhaps.
Am half way through your quite long story, a genre I rarely read but.. what I have read is fascinating, exciting, interesting and is written in very fine language Truth: you have amazing potential, Joy. I will return to read more, all.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Joy

6 Months Ago

Thank you for reading! It’s been years since I visited this site again and was about to take off m.. read more
emmajoygreen

6 Months Ago

Some would say my best does not amount to much but, I can but try! Plus am very pro using a good li.. read more
Well, you did ask. So you have yourself to blame for this. ;) But take a deep breath, because this is a critique, not a review, and it focuses on identifying issues that are getting in the way, and how to fix them. And unfortunately they come early because of things that are not your fault. Still, keep in mind that nothing I'm about to say is related to you talent or potential as a writer.

The problem you face is that because you were taught a skill called writing, and the profession is called Fiction-Writing, you, like everyone else, make the reasonable assumption that the common word “writing,” that they share means that they’re related, and the skill you own is the skill you need. But it's not. And, aiding and abetting that misunderstanding is something we all forget: Professions are learned IN ADDITION to the skills our schooldays give us. And fiction IS a profession, one they offer four year majors in at the universities. So...

Think back to just this year. How many essays and reports were you assigned, compared to stories. That will tell you where the focus of your writing education has been. And that makes sense. The purpose of public education is to provide employers with a pool of potential workers that have useful, and predictable skills. And what kind of writing do most employers need from us? Essays and reports. Nonfiction, in other words.

Problem is, nonfiction’s goal is to inform the reader. SO to do that with skill, you’ve worked hard learning how to write accurately and concisely. But how exciting is a report to read? Not so much. And no one has ever called a history book a "page turner."

Think of the times you’ve yelled advice to a character on the TV or movie screen. Wasn’t it because the actions felt so real that you were deeply involved, emotionally in the protagonist’s situation? No way can the nonfiction skills we’re given do that. But it's what we want our readers to be doing.

Our nonfiction skills are fact-based and author-centric. We explain the events and situation to the reader. From a fiction-writing standpoint that has several insurmountable problems.

1. Because you’re intimately familiar with the characters and their history, know the situation and your intent for the scene, and have it in your head as you write, something that’s obvious to you often won’t make it to the page because you don’t see a need to include it.

2. When you read your own work you perform it as if to an audience. You hear your own voice, all filled with the proper emotion. You change facial expression, plus use gesture and body language. But that doesn't make it to the page. So what does the reader have? Only what your words suggest to them, based on THEIR background, not yours.

3. Because you’re talking TO the reader, the story cannot seem to be happening to us as we read. But readers want the feeling that they ARE the protagonist, and living the story in parallel with the protagonist, from within the moment that character calls now. If you read a romance do you want to learn that the protagonist finds someone attractive? Or do you want the writer make you find them attractive for the same reason the protagonist does. And how much time have your teachers spent explaining how to do that?

But in all the years of school, has even one teacher mentioned that scenes end in disaster for the protagonist, and why? Have they explained the elements of a scene on the page, and why they’re so unlike one in film or on stage? Are terms like the short-term scene-foal familiar, and something you make use of?

My point? if you’re missing those things, how can you write scene that will please people who have been choosing only professionally written and prepared fiction all their lives?

See the problem? It’s not a matter of how good your writing, or the story is. It’s that your education is literally making you no more prepared to write fiction than to perform surgery. And your teachers, who learned their own writing skills in the same classroom are no more aware of the problem than you were.

So it’s not your fault. But still, the problem needs to be fixed. Look at the opening lines as a reader will:

• They say-- you have had an encounter with her.”

They say? Who are “they?” Who is “her?” What does “encounter” mean in the context of this story? No way to tell, so as we read it we have words, yes, but no meaning because we lack context. And why did you do it this way? Because no one told you that the three things a reader needs quickly are, “Who am I, where am I, and what’s going on? But since the meaning is clear to you, you notice no problem when you edit. After all, you can’t fix the problem that you don’t see as being one.

Not so minor point: Edit, edit, edit. A missing quote mark on line one is not the best way to begin a story.

• The voice was quiet but it hurt like it was a knife digging into Firmin’s brain.

Is this really any more clear than line one? No, because we don’t know who Firmin is, where he is on time and space, or what’s going on.

The viewpoint is yours. But fiction, with its goal of involving the reader emotionally, is emotion-based and character-centric—an approach to writing that was never mentioned in your classes. And since it wasn’t, you’re facing the situation Mark Twain talked about with, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

So…how do you resolve the problem? Simple. Take matters into your own hands. They won’t teach you the tricks of writing fiction in your classes (and forget the creative writing classes they offer, they don’t teach fiction-writing technique in them), so you need to seek the skills of fiction out. And if you are meant to be a writer you’ll find the learning a lot like going backstage at the theater. In fact, you’ll find yourself often saying, “But…well, that’s so simple. Why didn’t I see it myself?”

The library’s fiction writing section (but not the school library’s) is filled with the views of professionals in publishing, teaching, and writing, so time spent there is wisely invested.

For an overview of some of the major differences between fiction and nonfiction writing, you might dig around among the articles in my writing blog. They’re meant to orient the hopeful writer, and most were written for one of my publisher’s newsletter.

But in the end, always go to the pro.

Given where you stand, A good first book on the nuts and bolts issues of creating scenes that sing to the readers is Debra Dixon’s, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict. It’s a warm easy read, like sitting with Deb and talking about writing. It’s probably not in the local library system, though, so if you have a cooperative personal Santa, tell them that the book may give you better grades in English. :)

A better, though a bit more difficult book—one you may find in the library—is James Scott Bell's, Elements of Fiction Writing.

So give it a try. But whatever you do, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 4 Years Ago


Joy

4 Years Ago

Damn it I really thought I had it this time! lol

Believe it or not, my writing has c.. read more
JayG

4 Years Ago

You’re working hard, so I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but here’s the thing: The only w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 8, 2019
Last Updated on November 9, 2019
Tags: romance, drama, love, life, death, magic, dark, medieval

Author

Joy
Joy

About
Hi, my name is Joy. I am seventeen, and I think that the best thing to do is writing stories. The second best is when people read it and the third is when they give me their advice. My stories always .. more..

Writing