Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

A Chapter by Judith Reznor
"

For those of you who have read my short stories, you'll find all of it combined and intertwined in this in some way!

"
Cathy pulls up to a friend's house for a bonfire, with her long blond hair in a ponytail and her glasses framing her bright blue eyes. She hopes to see the one person she cares about most named Eric, but she knows that she won't be able to have him again. Cathy's hurting from the way that Eric had left her, but she just hopes to see him even for a moment. As she gets out of her car, D.J. greets her to take her back to the fire. Cathy hides from Eric at first, but then he sees her. Neither one confront each other at first, since she sees his new girlfriend close beside him. Her brown hair messily placed into a bun and an over-sized pink Victoria Secret hoodie. As some time passes, his girlfriend eventually disappears. Eric walks over to the bonfire, and Cathy walks up beside him as she adjusts her ponytail.
As she stands by the fire, she look over at him. His face is in extreme thought as he stares at the fire before him.
"How's your relationship with Danielle?" Cathy asks quietly.
 Eric shrugs, and pauses for a moment to think of what to say.
"Cathy, I really apologize for hurting you the way that Jeremy did to you. I knew something wasn't right about him, that's why I told you to stay away from him. I felt like he was going to hurt you. I didn't want to see that with you again. But you're stubborn and I knew that you would keep trying to go for him." He says to her as his bright green eyes flicker in the fire.  
The flickering of his bright eyes draw her back to their past relationship together from last summer, playing them through Cathy's mind like an old movie...

Laying on the dark, comfy sofa, Cathy looks at a pair of bright green eyes. She feels the warmth of Eric's skin on her, and can even smell the slightly worn off cologne on him. She study him as he looks at the television. His tattoo across his muscular chest, and his tribal tattoo on his arm. Eric's long legs move as he rests his feet on the coffee table. Cathy looks back up at his face, and he looks at her as well. 
He cracks his classic cocky smile at her and remarks on her green shirt and blue eyes. She grins at him, and messes with his short, soft black hair.
As Eric stands up, he pulls her with him, and leads her into the kitchen down the hall. She hops up on the counter, watching him pour some of her favorite drink for the two of them. He carefully hands her one of the glasses, and tells her to be careful while drinking it. Cathy laughs, and drink the whole glass in one gulp. After a few moments, she feels weary. He stands in front of her, and puts his rough hands on her hips. He gently kisses the top of her head, and she puts her hand on his cheek, feeling the roughness of the stubble of his facial hair. He takes a sip of his drink, and plays with her messy hair. As he finishes his drink, he takes her upstairs.
He leads her into his large, dim room, and as he lays on his small bed, he pulls her onto him. They immensely kiss, and she wants more of him. He pulls at her tight jeans and slides them off smoothly. As he toys with her, he looks at her with his bright green eyes showing in the darkness, nods, and winks. She smiles in assurance, letting him have control over everything. His hand runs down her soft leg while she runs her hands down his back. He pushes for more, she let him. He gets aggressive with her for a few moments, and she leaves scratches down his back. The strong muscles on his chest contract, and he stands up and goes to the other side of the room for a moment. He lays back down beside her with sweat beading down his face and chest, and as they look at each other, he smooths down her blond hair and smiles. He pulls her close as they both slowly fall asleep on the small bed...

Cathy hears his smooth voice, which breaks her running memories. 
"Danielle is aware of what happened between the two of us. She's aware that you are a part of who I am today, and you helped me. I still really care about you, and you're one of my closest friends. I'm sorry for doing what I did to you..." he says quietly so no one except Cathy can hear it. 
But she isn't sure if it's him actually saying this, or if it's from him drinking a little bit of alcohol earlier. He looks at her, waiting for a response. She looks at his eyes to see some tears welding up behind them. All she really wants to do is hug him and not let go, but she knows that Danielle would be over by them any minute. Cathy slips back into her thoughts for a moment, and realizes that Eric is her true protector and best friend, and she loves him more each and every time she sees him. He wants her to be happy, but how can she be happy when the person she love doesn't belong to her? He wants to have her date someone closer to her age.
Cathy then suddenly feels the comfort of familiar, warm arms going around her, which breaks her out of her thoughts again. She realizes she's crying a little, and she inhales, smelling the old familiar smell of Eric. He pets her head and she hasn't felt at peace like this in the longest time, even though the hug is short lived. She looks up at him, and realizes how much she needs and loves him. Someone then calls out his name from the woods, pulling him into the darkness behind them, while Cathy goes to get her best friend, Nikki, from work.
When Cathy gets back she is a little shaken by what Eric had told her, and then she sees him standing by the garage door, and somehow felt enlightened to see him. She fixes her navy blue glasses as she walks towards him with Nikki. But then her eyes were drawn to Danielle a few yards away. 
Cathy hears him say to his girlfriend, "Danielle, can you please just stop it? If keep acting like this, it's going to be over, I swear."
Cathy's blond hair sways as she stops a few feet behind Eric, overhearing him say that to her. Danielle shot him a look with her harsh brown eyes, then to Cathy one as well and stormed away. Her blond hair bobs in her ponytail as she gives him a quick hug and he jokingly hits the top of Cathy's head, making her smile, and she heads down to the fire with Nikki. She crosses paths with Danielle as they walk towards the fire, and Danielle gave her the look of death. But Cathy didn't care, she was just happy that Eric was there, and that she could talk to him. But Cathy admits, she is in love with her best friend, and he doesn't see it. He is her protector, and everything she could ever need in someone. There isn't a thing she would change about him.
As Cathy and Nikki sit at the fire, Nikki looks at her.
"Hun, you look at him differently. You look at him differently than you did with Alex or Jeremy. Your face brightens automatically. I know you try cover it, but it's still visible through your eyes. I can tell that you still care about him.” Nikki tells her. 
Cathy's eyes fall to the ground, realizing that Nikki is right. There isn't anyone like Eric, and she can't deny it. He's the one that can make her heart race every time she sees him. 
As some time passes to the end of the party, Eric tightly hugs Cathy goodnight and tells her, “I'll see you at church tomorrow. Be good little lady.”  

  The next morning, Cathy goes to church. Her hair is down and neat, and wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans. She pours a cup of steaming hot coffee from the church kitchen, and walks into the sanctuary to her usual seat in the front row. Cathy sits her cup of coffee down and plays with the access fabric on her sleeves while looking at the beige carpet. A pair of familiar black tennis shoes appear in front of her, and she looks up to see that it's Eric. He's wearing his classic look of clothing, a snug navy blue polo and blue jeans. He takes his usual seat next to her, but Cathy gets confused of why he sits beside Danielle who was two rows behind them. Eric gives Cathy a big hug, being careful not to spill her coffee. Danielle sees this happening, and Cathy can feel her eyes burning into her like a thousand needles.

Cathy looks at him and asks, “Aren't you going to sit with Danielle?”

He shrugs, shakes his head as he plays with his cross necklace and responds, “I'd rather sit up here because for one, her row is almost full, and this is where I prefer to sit. She's been getting on my nerves recently too though.”

Danielle hears him say that, and Cathy sees out of the corner of her eye that Danielle is glaring at him for what he said. As the music for the service begins, Eric keeps whispering into her ear as Cathy sips her coffee. Cathy tries not to laugh, but can't hold it back because she knows that Danielle is carefully watching them. When the service is over, Cathy walks out of the sanctuary to throw away her Styrofoam cup from her coffee. As she turns around, she sees Eric with Danielle by the front door. Danielle looks like she's scolding him, and as Cathy walks to leave the church, Danielle sneers at her. She tries to smile at her, but Danielle shoots her a look of hatred. He gets upset at her, for the fact that Cathy never did anything to her.

As Cathy climbs into her little red car, she isn't sure on how to react to what just happened when she was leaving the church. Her phone goes off, and reads that it's from Eric. He apologizes for the way that Danielle acted towards her. Cathy tossed her phone on the passenger seat, and goes home. All Cathy really wants to do is sleep since she knows that she won't have Eric the way she did a year ago, and it hurts her more than he realizes...



© 2013 Judith Reznor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

When will there be another chapter

Posted 10 Years Ago


Judith Reznor

10 Years Ago

Isabella, there will be one shortly! I'm sorry for the delay because my laptop was broken!
Izabe143

10 Years Ago

its okay. I'm patient enough to . =^)
Judith Reznor

10 Years Ago

:) sweet :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 26, 2013
Last Updated on June 26, 2013


Author

Judith Reznor
Judith Reznor

Massillon, OH



About
First things first; Judith Reznor is the name I write under. I came up with the name because Judith is a song that I feel describes my past, and Reznor is the last name of a musician that highly inspi.. more..

Writing