The Beginning

The Beginning

A Chapter by Judith Reznor

Cathy runs into Kelly's house rather late. Well, rather that she was late in arriving. She pulls her blond hair off to the side as she opens the back door of the old house. The familiar smoky smell of Kelly's parent's cigarettes overcomes Cathy as she goes to Kelly's bedroom in the basement. She stumbles over her oversized black boots a little as she bursts into Kelly's cold room to see Kelly and her boyfriend, Jon, playing video games while they were waiting. Kelly's laying on her tiny bed while she finished folding a few shirts while Jon is sitting on a recliner chair next to the bed. Jon glances over his shoulder to look to see who just came in, and lifts his hand off the controller to wave at Cathy and moves some of his dark brown hair out of his eyes.

“It's about time you got here... You were supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago.” Jon says with a laugh.

Cathy flicks him off, sits on the couch next to him and responds, “Yeah, I know. Alex was being a pain in the a*s when I was trying to leave his house because he didn't want me to go to the church thing. But I'm excited to go to youth group tonight. I already met Mike at church, but that's about it.”

“Well, the other leaders are named, Erik with a K, Eric with a C, Neal, Ann, Danielle, Amy, and Christina. Erik with a K is going to be picking us up to go to the youth group. Also, why do you keep dating Alex if he's harassing you about going to church?” Kelly says to her as Kelly brushes her red hair.

“You'll have to show me who is who when we get there. Honestly, I really don't know. I care about him and I adore him I guess.” Cathy responds.

“But he also treats you like s**t.” Jon mumbles as he shoots someone in the video game.

Kelly looks at her phone and says, “Well, anyway, Erik is outside waiting for us. He said he just got here.”

All of us stumble out into the cold October weather and climb into Erik's blue truck and head to the youth group. When they arrive, they go inside. Cathy had wandered into the garage of the youth group where the music and worship is held, and she sees two of the leaders talking. She remembers that the one leader is named Mike, but she isn't sure of the name of the other one. Cathy thinks that the one leader is attractive, but she knows that he's too old for her, and also the fact that she's in a relationship with Alex. The youth leader has his black hair slightly gelled up, with a gray shirt, blue jacket and jeans on. A very relaxed look. The youth leader notices her looking at him, and walks up to her.

“Hi, I'm Eric, you're new.” he says to Cathy as he holds a hand out to Cathy.

Cathy nods at him, shakes his hand and responds, “Yeah, I'm Cathy, I'm one of Kelly's friends. She's been wanting me to come here for a while.”

He smiles, and as people start filing in to have the worship begin, Eric and Cathy sit in the floor together. As the worship goes throughout the night, Eric keeps Cathy company. By the end of the night, they exchange phone numbers. Every week at the youth group, the two grow closer. About two months after they meet, Cathy is then overcome by a feeling. A feeling for Eric that she can't make go away. They more that they hang out, Cathy loses feelings for Alex, and has more towards Eric.

Two days before Christmas, the youth group holds a Christmas party at the church. Everyone gathers in the sanctuary, and Eric pulls her off to the side.

“Hey, so Ann and Neal think that we like each other for the way we've been hanging out. Do you like me?” He questions her.

Cathy pauses for a moment, because she knows that if she tells the truth, she won't be able to see him, so she answers, “No, I don't. That's just weird if I would. But I was going to ask you if you could take me home because I want to talk to you about something that's going on with Alex.”

Eric smiles his classic, cocky smile at her, nods and hugs her, and heads back over to the sanctuary. Cathy follows him down the hall, and they take their seats in the back row of the sanctuary to listen to Ann and Neal talk.

After the short service, the two walk to Eric's silver car in the parking lot. As they get into the car, he looks at her with his shocking green eyes.

“So, what's going on with you and curly locks?” he asks.

Cathy knows that he means Alex, so she responds, “Well, he's been acting different. He's been shunning me and he barely acknowledges my existence when I'm around him... He acts rude. He yells at me... I don't know what to do...”

Eric looks down as he thinks before he starts his car, then looks up at Cathy as he starts his car.

“I could feel like something was wrong with your relationship. He shouldn't treat you like that, and honestly you can do so much better than what he has to offer for you. If you keep with this relationship, you're just going down a further path of sadness and letting opportunities pass you by. The fact that he yells at you and acts rude is just bothersome in itself.” he tells Cathy and puts his car in reverse.

“I know... but the thing is, is that I've done so much with him. I don't want to lose it even though I should.” Cathy responds.

“Your relationship with him isn't healthy. If he's yelling at you now, imagine what he's going to do in the future. I've been in that situation before. You're my friend and I don't want to see someone hurt you.” Eric tells her as he heads to Cathy's home.

Cathy feels tears welding up in her blue eyes, and looks over at him.

“I can't promise what will happen with you and Alex, but I know I will always be your friend. I promise. Just promise me that you'll do what you feel is right.” Eric adds to her.

“I will. I promise...” Cathy says quietly.

The car ride quickly comes to an end as they pull up to Cathy's house.

“I'll see you soon, be good Cathy. I'll see you after Christmas.” Eric tells her as he hugs her when she gets out of the car.

Cathy nods, and goes inside her house. 



© 2013 Judith Reznor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great start looking forward to read more, will be back as soon as get little time...

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on June 27, 2013
Last Updated on June 27, 2013


Author

Judith Reznor
Judith Reznor

Massillon, OH



About
First things first; Judith Reznor is the name I write under. I came up with the name because Judith is a song that I feel describes my past, and Reznor is the last name of a musician that highly inspi.. more..

Writing