Strings

Strings

A Chapter by Julia

Do you ever wonder why some people seem to know certain things or have seemingly fantastical abilities? Some might be blessed, others cursed, and there are those who are just victims of circumstance(s). There are also those very few who seem mostly unaffected by these “gifts”, as if they can easily ignore them or are just very good at not letting it ruininterfere with their lives.

Those who’ve managed to make money off of their “gifts”. As you could imagine, some are genuinely trying to take the opportunity to use their abilities to help people, while others are just in it for the shot at fame and fortune. Naturally, and unfortunately, the greedy ones have given a bad reputation to the rest of the community. At least most of the good ones have managed to not let that hurt their attempts at helping people. As for the neutral ones, well they just ignore it and live their lives.

My brother and I each have a special ability. In fact, our abilities are quite similar, which most say it’s because we’re twins. We see people’s strings. Specifically I can see the red strings of fat and Max can see the silver threads of destiny.

Most people usually know of the red strings, mostly that they supposedly tie you to your destined romantic soul mate. It is very rare for someone to know of the silver threads. Though, to be fair, Max just kinda named them that since he didn’t know what they were to begin with. The threads are the things that tie us to every single one of our day to day actions.

Our very similar yet very different at the same time. You see, the red strings of fate are practically set in stone and are unbreakable no matter how tangled or stretched out they get. They only ever really change if one’s fated lover dies and they are given a new one (that’s the best I can explain it) which is very rare, mainly occurring among children. The silver threads of destiny, on the other hand, aren’t as strict as one initially believes. They are ever changing and are influenced by our individual choices (according to Max at least).

No, we can’t see our personal strings, but we can see each other’s. Thankfully we don’t see them all the time. I’m pretty sure the both of us would have gone mad if we had to see them all the time. Most of the time we really need to focus to see them clearly, though they will become visible if we just let our minds wander for too long (plus the occasional flash in the corner of our field vision whilst doing other things).

There is this one cool thing we’ve noticed. I’ll be looking at the strings, probably enjoying how intricately they cross one another, and notice that one of them will be wrapped around something not there and I’ll ask Max to look in the same direction to see if someone’s thread is over there What we’ve concluded is that the strings may or may not influence the threads.

People sometimes ask for me to help them find their fated lover(s). Well, maybe like 85 percent actually have the decency to ask for my help. The other 15 percent...Lets just say they have left me with more than a few stories that a few subreddit might enjoy. Funny how people think they are entitled to s**t. Just because I have this ability doesn’t mean I have to use it, especially for helping spoiled little brats. Anyways, the one I do end up helping, I do so by pointing them in the right direction (both figuratively and literally). Never do I just outright lead them directly to the other personpeople. The only exception being those odd times that 2 people who ask me at the same time happen to be at the end of the same string, or the other person just so happens to be in that same room as me and the person asking for help.

Our cousins often ask why I don’t try to make money off of my gift. It’s mainly the really spoiled one, Bebe. I give the same response each time I’m asked, that I just don’t feel right making money off of something I don’t really have control over, nor do I really want to. Bebe always insists that I let her sell my services to random people online and throws a tantrum when I tell her no. Times like that are the only times her father grows a spine and won’t let her get her way, very different from his usual demeanor of giving her whatever she wants whenever she wants.

I don’t know how many times I’ve heard others say that they wish they had my ability instead of whatever they had. Not gonna lie, it confuses me when people say that to me. I don’t know why they say it. My only guess as to why is that those people have gifts are things  that either can’t be ignored or make it harder to keep a normal life(or both). My thing is very easy to live with, sometimes it is almost like it doesn’t exist at all, so I imagine they might be envious. Though I do feel bad for the people with abilities that are burdens on their lives, I can’t help but feel grateful for how easy mine is to live with.

People don’t even bother Max about his, since his isn’t really important to people. We get it. Most people don’t care to know something as trivial as what specific bottle of apple juice they are gonna to grab as opposed to knowing who they could potentially spend the rest of their lives with. At least he’s happy that people aren’t constantly asking him to use his power for their own personal gain.

(Word Count: 994)


© 2021 Julia


Author's Note

Julia
Just wanted to clarify something. The idea for the silver threads was inspired by a creepypasta I can't remeber the name of.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on July 19, 2021
Last Updated on July 19, 2021


Author

Julia
Julia

Boise, ID



About
I'm a young aspiring author who loves animemanga, books, youtubetwitch, games, books, drawing, learning about different types of cultures, and general animation among other things. more..

Writing
General Info General Info

A Chapter by Julia


Night Shift Night Shift

A Chapter by Julia


Captive Captive

A Chapter by Julia