Decorated ~ November 11, 2014

Decorated ~ November 11, 2014

A Poem by MsJewel
"

~ In Remembrance ~

"
           

                  art ~  Phillipe Sainte-Laudy

 

            In remembrance...

 

I was that little girl again

with the red paper poppy pinned to my dress

staring wide eyed

at the parade of men and women,

decorated and dressed in

                                   courage

                           proudly on display

 

heroes

not asking for applause, but accepting it

with humble smiles

 

but this time,

I didn’t fidget with the red paper poppy

when silence fell

and heads bowed in prayer

for those who never knew

                      the joy of coming home

 

Home…

a little emptier without you in it

 

            still,

the medals that decorated your chest

rest in peace

on the little wooden shelf

above the hearth…

 

courage

proudly on display

 

in remembrance

        of you…

 

a little girl’s hero…

my hero

 

                                                I miss you Dad

© 2014 MsJewel


Author's Note

MsJewel
Growing up, every Veteran's Day would be spent watching my father lead his VFW troup in the local parade. He would pin a red paper poppy to my dress. After the parade, I would run around trying to find more poppies to make a little bouquet - not truly understanding what they stood for...This is the first year since my father passed away that I've had the strength to go to the services without him. I'm glad I went.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Julie, I am not sure which is more beautiul, your wondrous poem in tribute to your father and those we have lost or your Author's Notes. I absolutely loved both. The poem was heart breaking and the story of you collecting more poppies to make a bouquet. I remember the Veteran's Day parades in my home town, we would decorate our bikes and ride at the end of the parade which would end up at the VFW hall. Great memories brought on by a wonderful poetess.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :) Julie



Reviews

OMG, I loved it. This is absolutely beautiful. The honesty and feelings so clear. The imagery was compelling and the emotions I felt. How lovely. thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :) Julie
Confuser

9 Years Ago

You're welcome, but thank you Julie; when I was led here and saw the picture, I let out a sigh...how.. read more
I am so sorry for your loss. I shed a tear reading this. Achingly beautiful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you Steve :) Julie
So very emotion provoking. The meaning behind the symbol of your flower and all it represented. Such a hard thing for you to do, so glad you had the strength within you to go, what a beautiful sentiment & tribute to your Father. Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :) Julie
I love how this doesn't feel like it was written. It's as if, in one clear thought, you just breathed it onto the page. Thank you for sharing such an intimate an authentic piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words :) Julie
Thank you Julie for sharing the good memory. My father served in the Korean war and Vietnam. He kept the memories private. His medals over the kitchen cabinet. You honored your father with the amazing words of love and praise.
Coyote


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

You must be very proud of him. Thank you for your kind words. :) Julie
Thank you, Julie, for sharing this poem. Tomorrow, November 15th, my dad past away, in 1998. And I miss him, every day. Please pardon me, as I wipe the tears, from my eyes. Like your dad, my dad served his country, during the 1950s and 1960s, with the RCAF, during two tours, with UN forces, in the Middle East.

Am glad, you found the inner strength to attend this year's Veterans Day parade, by honouring his memory, with this poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind comment. I'm so sorry for your loss. Julie
therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome, Julie. I look at my dad's death, as the ending of chronic pain, he lived his last 13 y.. read more
moves me to tears Jewel .. so for me its a very well done! all war is horrible and requires courage in the face of fear and compassion in the face of reconciliation .. i am glad that you found your own courage to go without your dad present physically ... i venture to say that having done so brought him to rest on your shoulder as those brave heroes marched by .. good for you Ms. .. bravo!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind and generous words. :) Julie
Wow, this is beautiful. I can't imagine how it is to lose a father yet, especially with your sweet memories of him.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you Alec :) Julie
A classic tribute. It's heart-breaking and a longing-kind-write. If he seen this poem, he would be the most proud dad ever. Keep that pen filling so much blank pages.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you Todd :) Julie
ok... you have my tears with this one.. as I sit here and try to compose myself, I am flooded with memories mixed with your touching imagery. This one is so moving Julie.. I have always deeply respected your talent, which highlights and bares your beautiful soul onto the page each and every time, whether it is romantic, sensual, light-hearted, or deeply touching as this one is.. You are insanely talented and have my admiration, not only as a writer, but as a friend.. breathtaking, and heartbreaking.. amazing writing girl.. wheeew..

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MsJewel

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your generous words April. I appreciate you and your friendship :) Julie

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1556 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on November 12, 2014
Last Updated on November 12, 2014
Tags: father, memories, veterans day, msjewel, poetry

Author

MsJewel
MsJewel

The Beach, CA



About
I've been writing poetry for 15 years. My poetry isn't unique in any way, but it is written from the heart. I have trouble keeping up with everyone's poetry, so please send me rr's. I enjoy rec.. more..

Writing
Trees Trees

A Poem by MsJewel



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..