Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by JulieNorell
"

...

"

“I want to go see the horses!” My niece whined. Her frilly white and pink dress blew behind her in the breeze.

            “OK! Just let me get my shoes on!” I said, struggling with the heel of my hiking boot. It was dark and the porch light didn’t extend far past the bottom step. There was something ghastly about the wind. It seemed to be filled with a thousand screaming souls.  I finally pulled on my boot and stood with a groan.

            “Now we can-“ She wasn’t there. I looked toward the pasture gate. I couldn’t see through the thick darkness.

            “ Fine! Go by yourself!” I yelled into the night. I unlaced my boots and yanked them off my feet. I reached for the bronze door handle, the blue bar clock light shined through the glass door illuminating my pale skin. As I was about to place my hand on the handle, someone screamed.

Leaping off the porch in my stalked feet, I sprinted towards the pasture, scurried under the electric wire, and ran towards the back gate. I turned round and round when I reached the end of the property and look out past the barbed fence to the bone yard beyond. Hundreds of decayed animals that could be from hundreds of years before lay scattered on the sandy, dry ground. The moon seemed to wash everything out-bleaching it white. Nothing. No one to be seen. I looked around more and still I found nothing but horses and bones. Walking back to the pasture I was startled by and eerie sound.

            Screeeeeeeeeeeeech.” The gate blew in the breeze and grated on my nerves and sounded an awful lot like a scream. Relieved that I wasn’t going to have some ones blood on my hands I Swung the gate back towards the fence and tied it to the nearest post.  The barbed-wire fence pricked my finger. Looking at it blood oozed out of the small puncture. I wiped it on my jeans and then I was on my porch. Funny, I don’t remember walking back. I peeled off my, now black and caked with dirt, socks and reached for the door. I heard leaves crunching under some ones feet. Then a voice, deep and gruff.

            “Get her Thanatos!” It said. I heard growling, snarling. I didn’t stop to look. I turned, opened the door, slammed it shut and fumbled with the lock. Then I sprinted to the front door, locked it and leaned against it, breathing heavily.  I finally thought to tell my family.

            “There’s-“ Was all I got out before I saw the blood. It was everywhere, streaked on the walls in bloody handprints. Clouting the white carpet in gore. There were drag marks leading around the corner into the hallway. Bawling, I followed them. They lead to the kitchen. I stood and braced myself. Stepping forward so that I could see around the refrigerator, I held my breath. Then I let it out as I saw the gory scene. They were dead. My family, all-dead. Hanging from the ceiling by their ankles, their insides pouring out. I stumbled backwards.

A hand clamped over my mouth. I could feel their breath, hot, sticky.

            “Happy birthday sweetheart.” They whispered. Then it was black.

 



© 2011 JulieNorell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Scarey and so good!!! Great write!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good first chapter. I liked the atmosphere, pace and colloquial style of this narrative. After reading, I felt that I wanted to read more - and learn what happens next. The descriptive lines are sufficiently detailed, whilst also leaving plenty to the reader's own imagination. Thankyou, Julie. Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yikes. Speechless. Going to leave the lights on.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Swung the gate back- swung doesn't need to be capitalized

I peeled off my, now black and caked with dirt, socks and reached for the door.-- I would recomened putting socks before the description of the black and dirt caked to make it flow better

Other then my to comments, This was such a eerie yet really good first chapter of a book. Eeeeew, it just... was so weird at the end. Were her dead family talking to her? creeeeeeeepyyyyy (but in a, this is such an awesome creepy chapter type)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I know its different...But this is what I dreamed...Thought I might as well make some good of it...:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Horror of horrors, but what a strange ending to the chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


creepy!!!! if this goes like that from the beginning, what's next?! i think i'll sleep with the lights on tonight...

Posted 13 Years Ago


well that was different from what i have read of yours but it was interesting

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow creepy is right! Can't wait for more (:

Posted 13 Years Ago


o_o
....
W.O.W.
that was actually really creepy!! great book, KEEP WRITING!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 18, 2011
Last Updated on January 18, 2011



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lil' Red Lil' Red

A Poem by OT