A glimmer of hope

A glimmer of hope

A Chapter by JustSomeGirl
"

Meet Carly and Raphael: The beauty and the male Darkness.

"

There was a scraping noise along the walls, echoing through the rooms. They were here, finally here to take away the young girls life, which she had been awaiting since the other one came to take her mother and sisters, as if it was worth nothing more than the lie that the creatures had made it to be. She looked up through the gap between her chest and her arm, her eyes wide with fear. Tears stained rivers down her cheeks, flowing freely from her as she tried not to sob or cry out so they would aknowledge her existence. They had heard her anyway, ready to transport her into the into the firey pits of hell, and throw her into the flames along with all the other people that they had found. There was another set of footsteps, and there was some comotion outside the door. The girl couldn't understand a word of what the tow creaturs were saying, but to her it sounded like they were arguing. The one that had only just come talked in a soft voice, and before long, the first creature sloaped off into the darkness of the night.
The girl watched as the door opened, a gasp escaping from her crimson lips. She was not ready to die, but she knew she had no choice. She whispered a prayer under her breath, but not to god. She prayed to herself that she wasn't good enough to die, that maybe, just maybe the monsters would leave her alone. They were however not called The Darkness for their looks. The one that loomed above her looked quite similar to a human, exept his bronzed hair gleamed slightly too perfectly for any normal person. And his almost red eyes had tiny flecks of pure gold hidden inside them, making his whole body seem ridden with magic. And ofcourse the wings, were just another odity of the male. He smiled in what would have been a friendly way, had it have not been that just hours ago the girl had watched as one of The Darkess's face had litten up in a similar way before he cut into her mothers small intestines. Maybe his expression had evil hidden in it, which from the looks of it, this one was not capeable of holding. But the girl wouldn't trust him, couldn't after seeing half her village being cut up by these beasts.
He nelt besides her, and brought his hand up to her chin, making the girl flinch back. She shreiked slightly, and squeezed her eyes shut so that she couldn't see him kill her. It seemed however that he had nothing of the sort in mind, as he lifted up her face, and studied her with intreagued eyes. He had felt longing ache through his body, the moment he had set his eyes on the girl. He was going to help her, atleast that is what he had in mind anyway. The girl was shocked by the heat in his hands; because of their heartlessness, she had expected them to be as cold as stone, but it seemed that the fire from the furnace beneath them was etched into his skin.
"Are you hurt?" He asked in a broken English. His eyes seemed to mirror the pain of the girl, and he twisted her face to the left and to the right to check for any scratches and bruises. The girl shook her head, and a single tear fled from her helpless eyes. The male cursed under his breath in the strange language, and he seemed to sag slightly. "What have we done?" The girl reached up and stroked a cut that was just under his left eyebrow, but quickly pulled it back incase the male decided against what he had earlier thought, but instead he smiled sadly at her, and clasped her hand between his own. "Your species are so kind, I can't understand what my people want to destroy you for."
In the distance there was a loud crashing, as a roof gave away from the weight of dead bodies that had been piled on top of it. Flames licked against the smoldering faces of peoples loved ones, and burnt the clothes on their skin. The girl wimpered, and pressed herself back into the corner where she sat, trying to hide herself away from the destruction. The male creature pulled her towards him, and the girl truly thought that this would be the end. However, the male just cradled her whilst she wept in his muscle enhanced arms, and rocked her backwards and forewards to quieten her. He was probably only two years older than the eighteen year old, but the pain of today had reduced her to nothing but a shivering wreck, and anyone could have mistaken her for a girl of twelve at the least.
"Please don't cry, they'll hear you." He whispered sofly, his arms covering her body with ease. Her clothes were in tatters, and there was not much left for the creature to imagine, so he thought that he would protect what was left of her honour by doing so.

He looked up as the sound of footsteps came from down the corridor, and pulled them both into the shadows whilst covering the girls mouth with one of his soft hands. She looked paniked for a few seconds, before she too could hear the sound, and realised what he was doing. The footsteps stopped at the door, and the two of them could see the shoes in the dim light from under the door. It swung open, and luckily to the shadows, he could not see the girl or her helper, who had broken the only rule there was for The Darkness: Show no mercy.
"No sir, this one's empty." The female Darkness at the door said, closing the door and plunging the room back into darkness. The girl looked up at the male, and pressed herself against him as she breathed a sigh of releif. The footsteps retreated back down the corridor, and once again they were safe. The male took of the large jacket that was padding him, and wrapped it around the shivering girls body, so he stood wearing only a pair of boots and jeans. They weren't practical, but that was all that he had found in the home that he went to. There was noone left inside, so he didn't have to do anything to help the couple who had once lived there. The woman would have most probably been sent to the male quaters of the Darkness' base underground, with other females. The first soldier back got first pick, so he was in no hurry to get back to his old home. Not that it ever had been home, because he was always the one that realised that the council were going WAY too far with this, and the onl one who wished that he were someone else. Others took pride in what they were, he on the other hand was ashamed.
"What is your name?" The girl asked after a while of thinking whether she dare risked getting her throat slit. The male looked down at her through his dark lashes, and wrapped his arms yet again around her now steady frame. He opened his mouth, as if he wasn't sure, before answering.
"Raphael." He said truthfully, shrugging his large shoulders and lifting his wings up also in the process. The white feathers were tinted gold, exactly like his eyes, and the girl relaxed, as if she trusted him. The gold in his wings were odd for the Darkness', because the gold wings symbolised angels. But Raphael's twinkled the distinctive colour, making him more true than the others.

Black, green, red, orange; everything. But only one was worthy enough for the gold ones, and the girl was so lucky that he happened to be there when he was, or she'd be nothing but a lost soul and a carcass by now. "And your own?"
"Carly, Carly Moore." She murmered into his firm chest, which rippled every time he moved beneath her. "Why are you so kind Raphael? I mean, others of your kind just look at us and kill us. Or rape the females, but you seem nothing like that..."
"Yes, well I think that my kind has made a mistake." Raphael muttered, his eyes glinting in the light of the fire outside. There was lots of noises going on; crying, screaming, arguing, burning, crashing, flying, singing, yelling, stabbing, all of those things that are related to the war between mortals and immortals. Raphael was only a young Darkness, so he would probably grow another year before he would stop and be that way intill someone killed him. Or he killed himself, that was also a proability. "I dissagree with anything they say, because it either involves killing someone for fun, or worse."
"What could be worse thank killing people?" Carly asked, her voice fine and strained. Raphael sent her a confused look, and foced a smiled.
"Dishonouring a woman." He said quietly, one of his fingers pushing a strand of the girls dirt covered blonde hair behind her ear so that he could look into her eyes. "There is nothing worse than dishonouring a woman for your own needs, and my so called family and friends do it all the time, just so that they can bring themselves some pleasure. But there is no need for that, if a woman wants it then that is fine, but forced to do something that is supposed to be for love, is wrong in many ways." Carly smiled, and nodded in agreement.

"If only my mother and sister had met you." She whispered, looking out into the ever darkening skies outside. "They won't ever gain light again will they?" Raphael shook his head, and picked her up into his arms.
"I'm going to get us out of here." He said suddenly, his wings beating anf lifting them both into the air. They shot out of the window, and into the dark skies, his hands never loosening their grip on Carly. She burried her face into his armpit, which at anyother time would have discusted her, but right now, she couldn't care less where her face was. She realised that this man was going to save her. And she was glad.

 

Carly had fallen asleep halfway over New York, so when Raphael grazed the grass beneath him and landed with a small bump, her eyes juttered awake. He set her on the long grass that came well above their waists, and she stretched against the soft leaves of buttercups. Her eyes were sleep wrecked, and she let out a long yawn that reminded Raphael of a kitten. He had always loved those animals, they were just so sweet and innocent, but still, in killing classes when he was younger, those had been exelent for practising snapping necks.
"Where are we?" She said, her voice still tired as she stretched out like a cat yet again. She looked around, and was supprised to see a large dent in the earth that led in to a cave beneath the surface. Her eyebrows raised, and she sat upright looking at Raphael with her head cocked to one side. "I'm guessing not New York? Or any where around them regions." In the distance she could see the sky lit up orange, but it was not regular city polution. That was 19,400,000 people burning to a crisp as hell consumed them from inside out.
"This is where I spend all the time I can." He answered her, his face turned in the same direction her own face was pointed. She looked so sad, it nearly crushed his heart, which had so much more humanity in it than his own beings, the Darkness. He watched her with concerned eyes before picking her back up and carrying her into the hole.
"I can walk myself you know." She grumbled, gaping in awe at the cave that he had taken her into. It was completely natural, but someone had carved holes into the walls to store things, and a small room also to make a largely padded king size bed which he lay her against, taking great care not to bump her head. He knew she could walk herself, but humans looked so much more delicate than they actually were, so he wanted to take care with this extra intresting female.
"My father made all the off cuts." He told Carly, a proud smile on his face, as if he had just been reading her mind. "We have food and there's a stream for drinking and... cleaning yourself." He went red before continuing. "It's not much... but, well it's better than what you would be putting up with the rest of them. I understand if you don't want to see me, and if you want I shall leave." Carly's expression darkened, and her face filled with dread.
"Please, I beg of you Raphael, do not leave." She wimpered, clinging to his toned chest. He looked down at her, pity raking down his insides, making him grimace in pain. "Your father is so talented."
"He was." Raphael murered, speaking in past tense. Carly smiled sadly as she realised this, and hugged the being infront of her. The tips of her fingers brushed against his soft wings, and she reached further to press her hands into the white wings to see the male's reaction. He gasped, but he melted into her touch so that she was simply caressing the muscles hidden beneath them. There was so much power used in the wings, so it didn't supprise her to see the firm muscles encasing the part of skin where his wings dissapeared into his back. "Oh." He said in shock, as her fingers made there way along them, leaving a tingling sensation everywhere they went. He had never been touched in this intimate way before! The nerves in the muscles almost groaned as she massaged them.
"I like you." Carly whispered, and looked into his sun streaked red eyes. She shook her head after though, and sat back against the soft sheep-skin blanket that padded the cold stone that was a large bed hidden behind things hanging off the wall. "Don't get cocky though, your people aren't exactly great, so there is not alot to compare to."
"Haha, thank you." Raphael chuckled, before looking slightly puzzled. "



© 2012 JustSomeGirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
A few errors made me want to see changes before I would commit to reading further:
"They were here, finally here to take away the young girls life," as the life belongs to the girl, it is a "young girl's life".

"as if it was worth nothing more than toothpick." You mean 'a toothpick'. To me, this comes across as needlessly strong hyperbole. Is she really just a toothpick to them? For one, there's less meat on a toothpick ;-)

"She looked up through the gap in her arm, her eyes wide with fear." I don't think her single arm has a gap, unless they've already taken a bite out of her. There would be a gap in her armS.

"Tears stained rivers down her cheeks, flowing freely from her as she tried not to make a noise." This sounds like an awful lot of tears - more than really is possible.

Posted 11 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
A few errors made me want to see changes before I would commit to reading further:
"They were here, finally here to take away the young girls life," as the life belongs to the girl, it is a "young girl's life".

"as if it was worth nothing more than toothpick." You mean 'a toothpick'. To me, this comes across as needlessly strong hyperbole. Is she really just a toothpick to them? For one, there's less meat on a toothpick ;-)

"She looked up through the gap in her arm, her eyes wide with fear." I don't think her single arm has a gap, unless they've already taken a bite out of her. There would be a gap in her armS.

"Tears stained rivers down her cheeks, flowing freely from her as she tried not to make a noise." This sounds like an awful lot of tears - more than really is possible.

Posted 11 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Added on August 8, 2012
Last Updated on August 9, 2012


Author

JustSomeGirl
JustSomeGirl

United Kingdom



About
I love writing, and I love to share it with others. I am absoloutly insane, but it's what makes me; me. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by JustSomeGirl


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by JustSomeGirl