Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Alex P.

          The four of them stood quite still, straining to hear if Erika’s cry had caused anyone to become aware of their presence. The redheaded man glowered at her, his roguish features contorting into a scowl.

          “Idiot, do you want as all to get arrested?” He hissed. Erika blushed at her outburst, and then looked around at them. However, something caused her to look back at the man again. His scowl darkened. “What’s your problem?”

          “Adel, behave. She is probably confused.” Cyrus said in an attempt to calm his brother. “We can explain everything later miss, but for now, please come with us. For your own safety.” Erika nodded and allowed Cyrus to help her onto the horse, then held when she was boosted up. “Do you know how to ride?” She nodded again and smiled, catching the reigns while Cyrus led and Adel fell behind them.

          Adel watched the strange girl riding behind his sister with a frown. He knew she was the girl from the temple, and was glad that she was still alive, and from what he could tell, unharmed. But where had she come from? How much had she seen? His thoughts drew him inward, and he sped up slightly to walk next to the horse’s head. The steed nickered a greeting, following Cyrus without requiring guidance from him or Erika.

          The sun began setting as they travelled, casting the surrounding landscape into a play of light and elongated shadow. Erika gazed around at the silhouetted trees against the orange-pink sky, or completely camouflaged by one of the mountains that loomed darkly over them. Birds bid their fellows goodnight, flitting from tree to tree to settle down, and a light breeze played with their hair. Even though it could not be seen, the smell and sound of rushing water promised a nearby river. Reeds darkened by night sprouted up from the earth in erratic clumps, fringing the bank with spike-like decorations.

          The beauty of the area was almost overwhelming to Erika, who was far more used to concrete jungles. The wildness of the landscape drew her in a way that she hadn’t known before, called to her, and somehow, she suddenly knew that this was what the world was supposed to look like.

 

*

 

          A fortnight passed before the group thought it safe to enter a small town for shelter and food. As they slowly made their way through the market, Lana and Erika gazed longingly at glittering pieces of jewellery, finely woven shawls, and warm, heavy travelling cloaks. Cyrus noticed the girls shivering in their meagre clothing. The temperature had dropped during their travels and the clothes the girls had escaped Camber’s camp in were hardly adequate to keep them warm. So, Cyrus took it upon himself to barter until both girls had new cloaks draped over their shoulders, Lana’s a deep forest green, and Erika’s a rich dark brown.

          When they reached the inn, several curious faces turned in Erika’s direction, causing her to blush and keep her head down. Leaving the girls with Adel, who hovered around them with his usual bad-tempered expression, Cyrus went off to the innkeeper to inquire about a room.

          Erika flopped down in exhaustion into the nearest chair, rubbing her eyes vigorously to try and dispel the fatigue. She heard the soft clink of armour as its owner settled into the chair next to hers, and she looked up to see Adel staring at her.

          “What’s wrong with you?” He asked gruffly. Erika chuckled. The short time spent travelling with him made her realize his bluntness and rough-edged demeanour was normal.

“I’m just tired. I’m not quite used to travelling this much, it’s taking a bit of time to adjust.” She explained, pushing her hair from her face absently. Adel frowned, his expression telling Erika that he was withholding from saying something. “What?” She asked. Adel looked at her out of the corner of his eye and shrugged.

“I don’t know how you can stand it.” He muttered after a minute.

“Stand what?” Erika blinked, angling herself to include Lana in the conversation, as she’d seen the girl listening intently. Adel shook his head. He leaned forward slightly, resting his head on his hand, propped up on the table.

“Staying in one place your whole life. Don’t you get bored?” He asked. Lana nodded, eyes shining with curiosity. Erika looked between the two, and then smiled.

“Yes it does. That’s why I came here in the first place. I was bored with America and I thought maybe a change of scenery would be good for me. Besides, I couldn’t pass up the chance of going on an excavation with my father.” She said, and then bit her lip. “Of course, I’m missing the dig…” She added. Her shoulders slumping as her guilt weighed her down once more. Adel frowned again, though Erika didn’t see, and Lana leaned forward to place a comforting hand over the other girl’s. Erika felt her eyes burn with tears, though she fought them back ruthlessly. Homesickness washed over her like a tidal wave, and suddenly they wouldn’t stop, and her shoulder shook with soft, strangled sobs.

In an instant, strong arms wrapped around her and she was pulled to her feet. She met concerned grey eyes when she looked up as Cyrus held her against him, rubbing her back.

“Try to be more sensitive, brother.” She heard him say, and practically felt Adel bristled behind her.

“I didn’t say anything; she started crying all on her own!” He yelled, and then got up and stormed off toward the exit. Cyrus sighed, gently rubbing Erika’s back.

“He… He really didn’t say anything; I just got a bit homesick.” Erika murmured softly in the rogue’s defence. “He meant well.” She sighed. She pulled away from Cyrus and smiled, wiping her eyes. He smiled back, and left with a quick pardon, promising to return with something to help. Erika put her head on the table and sighed, struggling to compose herself. Lana rubbed her back, concerned for her friend. Erika smiled briefly in reassurance and sat up straighter.

Cyrus returned seconds later with a shot of a strong-smelling golden liquid that Erika immediately identified as whiskey.

“This will chase any cold feeling away.” He told her. Erika had to admit, when she swallowed it, the burning sensation the whiskey caused reached the deepest pit of her stomach, and flooded every inch of her with warmth.

Once Adel returned, Cyrus explained that they were able to barter two rooms so long as they acted as entertainment for the evening. This seemed to make sense to everyone except Erika, because they all nodded like it were commonplace. When Erika voiced her confusion, Adel scoffed softly.

“Don’t you have any talent at all?” He grunted, and received a scathing look.

“I do so! I kill at blackjack and I can sing and I’ve been cooking for my dad since he and my mom split!” The siblings looked confused but said nothing; Erika sometimes spoke of strange things or used strange words. It was fast becoming nothing more than a part of who she was to them.

“So sing tonight when we have to pay for the room.” Adel said, turning from her to watch the crowded room, brooding once more. Erika blinked a couple times in bemusement, and then shrugged.

“Okay.”

 

*

 

          Later that evening, the group walked toward a small corner that had been cleared for them. Erika, feeling very much like a gypsy, had been ushered away by Lana and a bar maid, was now wearing local entertainer’s clothes, while Lana wore a sheer, flowing skirted ensemble, since she was dancing. Cyrus and Adel were behind the two girls, holding instruments. Cyrus had a hand-drum resting against the ground, and Adel had a flutelike reed in his hands.

The crowd quietened when they saw the small group of ‘performers’ reach their stage, and Erika took several steadying breaths. It had taken some time, but they all eventually decided on a faster-paced song that Erika had several seconds to learn. Music was a talent of hers, and she surprised the siblings when she was able to repeat it back to them after such a short time. She closed her eyes now, and waited patiently. Once the music started, Erika allowed it to overtake her, and felt the song swell inside her. Before she knew it she was singing, her voice hitting all the right notes, her voice harmonizing with Adel’s flute, while Lana swayed and contorted to the rhythm of Cyrus’ drumbeats. Erika’s pitch and tempo with Adel’s flute, expressing through music the emotion of the story Lana was interpreting through her dance. The story was of a god and a girl who fell in love, and how their love transcended time so they could be with one another. Cyrus explained that this was a myth told in his village, usually preferred by the female elders as tales to girls about to reach their womanhood. Erika had to admit, it was a beautiful tale.

When the group had finished performing, they received applause and soft cheers. They traipsed back to their table, and sat down with the sighs of satisfied exhaustion. Their breathing came more laboured than usual, but each of them looked pleased. A waitress came over and brought them water, then handed Cyrus a small sack of gold.

“Yer tips from th’ other pat’ns.” She said, sending a flirtatious smile at both men. Cyrus smiled back good naturedly, then took the gold and bought them their dinner for the evening.

          After they ate, the group shuffled wearily up to their rooms, and bid one another goodnight. Erika and Lana disappeared into one room, while Cyrus and Adel went into the room opposite them. The room was sparsely furnished, with a single mattress so bedraggled that some of the straw stuffing was poking out, two lumpy-looking pillows, and a patched-up wool blanket. Erika and Lana looked at one another, but neither looked displeased. They were just grateful to have a bed to sleep on, instead of the cold ground.

          The girls began removing their performer’s attire, careful not to tear the gauzy fabric that decorated the outfit, or break any of the stings of beads that had been braided into their hair or looped around their necks. Once they changed into their own clothes, they closed the shutters on the windows and slipped under the blanket, intent on sleep. Lana immediately curled against Erika for warmth, and gently squeezed the other woman’s hand, bidding her a silent good night.

          It was so dark when Erika awoke that for a moment, she thought she still had her eyes closed. She lay perfectly still, feeling Lana’s even breath against her shoulder, the petite brunette’s hand still loosely holding hers. Slowly, her eyes adjusted to the faint light that filtered through the shutters enough to discern vague shapes. Even still, Erika didn’t move. She had learned by now to trust her instincts in this land, and her instinct told her to stay perfectly still, and feign sleep.

          A stumbling motion drew her eye toward the door. Cautiously, Erika tilted her head so she could see. Standing in the doorway was a slightly rotund outline of a swaying figure. As if to help start her mind, the strong smell of cheap ale and sweat assaulted her nose. Lana stirred against her, and Erika knew that she was remembering Camber’s encampment just as she was. The figure stumbled close enough for Erika to hear him now, wheezing and panting as he gracelessly made his way toward the bed.

          Erika didn’t bother to pretend sleep anymore. She sat bolt upright and looked directly at the intruder. The stumbling man paused, then lunged toward her, a hand clamping over her mouth, while the other grabbed both her wrists. Erika writhed, biting his hand until she tasted blood, while pushing Lana from the bed. The man growled something in slurred, husky Welsh, and Erika snarled back in English, kicking him hard in the stomach. The man yelled, doubling, and released her wrists. She scrambled back before he could lunge at her again, but he never got the chance to. Another figure joined the fray, so suddenly it was as if he had appeared out of thin air. He moved with deadly silence, and in the sliver of light from the window, Erika watched him draw a silver blade, and bring it to the man’s throat, pressing it there warningly, his arm around the man’s neck over his shoulder.

          Get out before I gut you right here, you filthy swine.” Adel snarled in Welsh, turning the man around. In a swift motion he removed the blade and kicked the man in the small of the back, making him stumble back out into the hall.

          Erika scrambled to the other end of the bed and helped Lana up, murmuring softly in apology, cradling the shaking girl close. When she looked up next, she jumped. Adel had moved with the same stealth and was now crouched next to them. He was so close that Erika could see his brow creased not in annoyance, but in concern.

          “Did he hurt you?” He asked. She knew he was asking her. Stroking Lana’s hair, she shook her head, and then realized he might not be able to see properly.

          “No. How’d you know?” She asked softly, hearing her voice tremble. She felt Adel move this time as he rose from his crouch and sat on the bed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and drawing her against his chest.

          It was as if her barriers dissolved, and soon, Erika found herself crying softly against him, crying from the shock of her near-attack, and from the compacted emotions that she’d forced back during their travels. She expected him to push her away, but he didn’t. He just held her, gently stroking her hair as she had been doing for Lana not seconds before. She heard a noise, and it took her awhile to realize that he was humming a soft, haunting melody under his breath.

          “That’s very beautiful. Where did you learn it?” She asked in a soft whisper, still curled against him. Adel paused in his humming, and then sighed softly.

          “I don’t remember. I’ve just always known it.” He replied. “I figured it might calm you down.” He carefully pushed Erika from him and got up, walking to the door. Erika thought he was going to leave; however, he merely turned his back on the door and sat down beside it, sitting cross-legged and leaning against the wall. “In case he comes back.” He said simply. Erika had never been more grateful in her life.



© 2010 Alex P.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The characters have developed and interacted quite fluently, Erika being a very interesting character... Very emotional, the story is progressing at a casual pace, making it a steady read. Keep them coming, baby =)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
1 Review
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on September 21, 2010
Tags: Chronos Roulette, Adel, Wales, Fantasy, Adventer, Time, Romance


Author

Alex P.
Alex P.

AB, Canada



About
Amateur Herbalist | Feminist | Social and Environmental Justice Activist | Entrepreneur --- The content of this profile and all other associated content are hereby strictly prohibited from disclosur.. more..

Writing
Mindful Mindful

A Poem by Alex P.


Night Night

A Poem by Alex P.