Sectando's Prison

Sectando's Prison

A Poem by Sectando

I am an innocent man
What crime have I committed?
My future lost to leave me damned
Within Sectando's prison

My cell is familiar, have I been here before?
Four walls, a window and no door.
My cellmates sit upon a shelf, 
many former cons themselves
to leave their mark upon the world
and quote the writer nevermore.

I get three meals but seldom hunger
My thoughts inflict me so.
To ask the question, yes I wonder
Upon the cot of midnight's gaze,
No whisper of a single phrase
To free me from my woe.

Forgive me God, my evil deeds
My soul cannot recall.
I have no joy of simple things
I have no joy at all.

So shall I wait upon this cot
and paint the walls with dread.
To ponder or to ponder not,
my heart constricts with every thought
I'll sit until they free me from this

Prison in my head

© 2014 Sectando


Author's Note

Sectando
Originally I had the following line written: "and quote the writer nevermore" in reference to "The Raven". It was pointed out to me that the correct word in the poem is "quoth", however the reference in the line is a play on words by Poe and is not intended to be exact. Further, it would not make sense to use "quoth" within the context. This is why I specifically chose to italicise the word "nevermore" versus the whole line, making use of the word more of a direct reference to Poe rather than the whole line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Terrifc poem… great meter and rhyme and evocative imagery. Very well done.

NOTES:
"and quote the writer nevermore." Referencing Poe, I think it should be [quoth] as that's the term used in the "Raven" It's "Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore.'”


Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Sectando

9 Years Ago

Ah..thank you for that correction and for your review. Greatly appreciated.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. And, it wasn't exactly a "correction." It was a recommendation that I just thought w.. read more



Reviews

this is the first piece I have read of yours, and I am very impressed. I thoroughly enjoyed this.. from the cadence, the rhymes, the flow, the imagery, and the emotion.. I can relate to this on many levels, which only added to the intensity and power.. those voices that haunt me inside my prison often make me wonder the same things... have learned, though, that I am not waiting on someone to save me, working on saving myself.. one damn demon and brick at a time.. well done..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, April. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

you're quite welcome.. nice to meet you:)
Sectando

9 Years Ago

likewise :)
a very good poem indeed Sectando. I really enjoyed this a lot.
aren't we all bound to become prisoners of our own minds in the end?
great rhyme and meter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Woody!
You are a very skilled and eloquent pen, Sectando. Me thinks you have been up to this for a while.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind words. Actually, I have not. I've been struggling for a while with.. read more
Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Well you have the knack ... but don't worry about identity ... just be:)

Have a listen .. read more
"to ponder or to ponder not," is my favorite line

From the start I thought the twist was going to be "prison in my head", but I became confused when you talked about shelves and walls.

Great topic. I think writing about being stuck in your head (or similar topic) should be considered a standard rite of passage for writers.

Thanks for sharing,

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. The poem is about depression, the prison in our minds but also comparing the .. read more
Sectando

9 Years Ago

its********
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

OH! I interpreted "I get three meals but seldom hunger" incorrectly. I thought "hunger" meant that y.. read more
Very very good.
Love the way you approached this one, prisoner of our own minds...

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like this! I've always had a soft spot for poetry and anything dark. And I can really relate to the being trapped in your own mind.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your appreciation :)
Outstanding! My favorite part was when you quoted Edger Allen Poe Poem "The raven" which is my personal favorite. I loved this from beginning to the end. You have some true talent. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sectando

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. I'm truly glad that you enjoyed it :)
My own prision. This idea is haunting indeed and the reference to Poe well enchanting although as themes go the mental image which traps you is not trascendental yet the unfamiliar presence that he was decribing... "Although no future holds" "Will it still be there ?". But the scene created is well described. The closest metaphor I can think of is the "Building of images which become material inside" as fear takes over we believe that in order to be safe we need to stay within that, which we have created.

But then again in that "writers" own words: "There are some qualities- some incorporate things, That have a double life, which thus is made, A type of that twin entity which springs."

Time to shut the windows just in case.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


"I get three meals but seldom hunger
My thoughts inflict me so.
To ask the question, yes I wonder
Upon the cot of midnight's gaze,
No whisper of a single phrase
To free me from my woe"
I know the place above. Life lacking substance and reason leave us in self-made prisons. The above lines made me evaluate my life. I enjoyed the poem. Poetry support to create thoughts, places and faces. This poem did. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


You a Poe fan?
Me too.

Again, a good piece. I do not know if it is autobiographical in nature but I hope it is not because I could feel the emotions.
Great write.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1468 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 7, 2014
Last Updated on October 8, 2014
Tags: depression, gloom, dark, sectando, prison, thoughts

Author

Sectando
Sectando

NH



About
I am... -confused -lost -searching for self identity -searching for my passions -searching for anything i can enjoy -passionate -a failure -a winner -an "idiot" -an old soul -difficult -.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Confide Confide

A Poem by A. Amos