Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Kala Benfield

This migraine. This pain in my head, throbbing. I wanted to run into a brick building. Something to knock the pain away. I was miserable. I was thinking to much. 
I went downstairs to see if my father was doing his daily routine. Then I had forgotten it was three in the morning. Slipped on a jacket and creaked the door open just enough to slide my slender body through, then as gently as possible closed the door. I held my breath the whole time opening and closing; thinking that it might help me be quiet. It never does. As the door shut behind me, My fingers were already turning blue, breath as white and winter, and my nose red. Just red. Nothing to personify that. It was the longest walk down my driveway. I hoping I would have walked faster knowing how brutally cold it was outside. I just wanted to leave.
That dream. Purple powder? Was it something knew that I had yet to discover? Was it just a bad dream? A sign maybe? I had no idea. I wasn't about to spend all night trying to find out what exactly it was. I didn't care, like usual.
The burned bank still depressing as it is in the daylight. I couldn't believe I was actually walking around the city late as it was. I knew how dangerous it was. But at the time, nothing mattered. My thoughts were roaming around a hundred miles per hour. The reason for the outrageous migraine I guessed. As I walk up to the diner, I saw her, Alice. White fur coat, leather boots with ripped fishnets. I knew it was her. Her long blond hair in her face made me know that it was her. A tall man grabbed her by the hair and slung her out the diner like she was nothing. I saw he had no expression on his face but pure anger. I was looking back and forth at the both of them, but I couldn't decipher what possibilities could of happened. Depicting situations such as this completely lost me. I never knew what anyone was thinking. I did know that this girl, Alice, as she calls herself, thought the whole thing was funny. Maybe she was intoxicated with poison she drank and hour earlier, doped up on everything possible, or just like making people furious with her like the tall man. Who was I to know. I did not know a single thing about this Alice character. But I didn't leave the house at three in the morning just to walk around. I wanted to do something, see things I didn't know in this city of Mourning Side. I felt like tonight was going to be one of those nights. Maybe.

"Are you okay?" I was nearly scared to death when I leaned in to help her up. It was like the words in my mouth would not come up, but sounded forced, like I had to ask if she was okay.

"Ha, yeah, super!" sounded pretty sarcastic to me.

"What the hell happened? He looked so mad at you. Not that it's any of my business, I was just curious."

"He just didn't want me I guess,"

"Meaning?" dragging out the words. I wanted to know what happened.

"Hey, heres an idea!"

I didn't know where I was going till we passed the flickering street light. RED ZONE territory. I don't know how she was running so fast with heels on, or dragging another person for that matter.

"Stop!"

One thing, I was tired of running. Why were we running anyway? Or, who were we running from?

"What! Whats wrong? Come on!"

I hated running, and not knowing why. I knew this wasn't a good thing. I didn't just know, I felt it.  I was not supposed to be here. No one was. Number one on cop radar. Everyone in the red zone knew that obviously didn't care and was free to do what they wanted here. So I guess I had to embrace it like everyone else did. 
Alice didn't know I knew her name. I really wanted to know this girl. Something told me to go home where my father was and stay safe and sound in my bed. But I wanted something different, something dangerous. I was now entering that stage of something instead of nothing. I escaped my world of nothing. I wanted to go back. I wanted to stand on the edge of the flickering lamp post, and watch the eternal darkness leading into the red zone. Now that I was here, I needed to find something to make me stay. Keep my thoughts in a place other than the other said of the street light.

"Nothing, never mind"

"Okay then, lets get out of here and to something place warm, I'm freeezing."


© 2012 Kala Benfield


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 19, 2012


Author

Kala Benfield
Kala Benfield

carlisle, PA



About
Where all my fears, fantasies, & dreams come to life, enjoy. more..

Writing
Litost Litost

A Poem by Kala Benfield


Over. Over.

A Poem by Kala Benfield