The Writer & Reader

The Writer & Reader

A Story by Karel
"

reflection of the my writing and the "self"

"

The Writer & Reader

"The writer in me writes for the reader who can not be found anywhere else but inside me." 
K. Drmola

Very true indeed. Because, let's face it. Who am I the most interested in? In me. As simple as that. I'm totally engrossed in my personal joys and agonies. And I'm interested in others and their daily affairs only to the extent to reassure myself, in case they struggle, that I'm not alone, or in case they do well, to please myself because I like them and the fact that they've succeeded gives rise to a pleasant feeling in my mind.

Yes, I'm getting at something very deep here. In the Pali Canon Buddha asks one of the kings about whom he likes the most in this world. The king, who was the Buddha's disciple and obviously had'd some significant insights, answers to the same effect. He likes himself the most because all he does, even for his closest family, he does simply to please himself. Buddha thereafter approves of his wise reflection, adding that it's only the ones who've truly penetrated the characteristic of anatta (not-self), can completely abandon this deeply ingrained self-serving attitude the human condition partakes of.

No, I don't write this to break down all the illusions you have created about yourself as a caring, charitable and sympathetic person. God forbid. I actually couldn't care less how you've decided to spend your life and definitely won't be knocking one day at your door to convert you to the "the only true faith", in order to secure for myself the place in some sort of utopian heaven.

I write this to address the reader in me.
To use the means which are for him relevant, applicable and workable. But all this only in case he is receptive, still willing to learn. And mainly honest with himself. Or in other words, for someone whose ageing eyes are still not too covered, blinded with the worldly dust and who still remembers and cherishes his teenage dreams.

Whether I'll reach him, remains to be seen.

© 2015 Karel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on November 14, 2015
Last Updated on November 14, 2015

Author

Karel
Karel

Czech Republic



Writing
The Ahimsa The Ahimsa

A Story by Karel