The Ahimsa

The Ahimsa

A Story by Karel
"

Reflection on violence

"
The Ahimsa 

I still vaguely remember that instruction the historical Buddha gave to his monks before they went on the almsround referring to a bee that flies to a flower, takes some of its nectar and departs leaving the flower unharmed, undamaged, with enough left for the other nectar-feeding creatures. With the same attitude a monk passes through the village. There is no harm done ever in his wake, as he passes through this world. 

The same way I look at my own life while applying the principles of "ahimsa" 
(non-violence, in Pali). It starts very early on when one recognises one's own potential for violence. When one is exposed to and at the receiving end of it. It all starts already very early indeed, somewhere in nursery schools, if I remember well. I don't mean only the outbursts of physical violence but also that which is conveyed by our speech and thoughts. All those snappy, derisive comments, irritations, aversions etc. Somehow we never learn to recognise this as one of the defilements, never learn to work with it, let alone uproot it. Accustomed to its everyday presence, seeing it all around, it penetrates deep down, keeps us company until the rest of our days. 

I remember last year, while visiting the Czech Republic, watching the news on TV. A group of young Czech soldier were seen off at the airport by some high politicians. The whole event was referred to as the goodbye to these "brave young men" who went to Afghanistan to, apparently, "protect the interest of our country, its people and that of Nato". 

And I wondered what sort of interests these were. My interests too? Which interests do I have in Afghanistan? Why should I and how can I have any?  Were those young men truly so noble that they went to put their lives on line for me? For their "country", whatever we mean by it? Shooting at people they don't know, whose lives they haven't got a clue about. Going to the country whose history, language they are completely ignorant of. What was the real motivation of these modern mercenaries? And those who sent them? I don't know. But I know it wasn't anything wholesome. 

And it starts right here. How you yourself opt out of the whole cycle of violence. Making your own choices in life. Being able to say a resolute "no" to killing people for cash. To even laying your own hands on anything which was devised to kill. To say "no" to eating meat because it involves killing. And do that all without becoming a fanatic who throws stones into the McDonald's shop windows. 

This personal opting out is the most important act we can do while taking responsibility for our own actions. Knowing that violence breeds only more violence. Knowing that it needs to be uprooted right from within our heart first. Even though it often means "dropping out" of the conventional society, not fitting in and going, at times, against the grain. 

Embarking on this quest means battling with the most difficult and resilient of enemies-your own deeply engrained character defilement. You must be resolute and brave to be willing to wage this war. Consistent and unflinching. A soldier in the only wholesome war there can ever be. A true and real hero.

© 2015 Karel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is awesome! Really well written :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
1 Review
Added on November 15, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2015

Author

Karel
Karel

Czech Republic



Writing