Opening Monologue to..something

Opening Monologue to..something

A Story by Katarra
"

It started off as the opening page to a novel I was going to write. Now I'm staring at it, and thinking it might do better as a starting monologue to a screenplay, or cut up into snippits of dialogue through a script.

"

It ain't always like you see in the movies. Don't think anyone knows that better than I do. Many a times I've sat in those dark rooms, sticky floors beneath my boots, and laughed. It's rude of me to do so, I know, I really do. Someone hears me or directs a nasty shush my way and I apologize.


Not really sorry, though. Maybe if you were in my position, you'd laugh too – hell, a few of you probably are, I don't know.


It's entertainment, can't deny that. But you can't tell me a president won't laugh watching Air Force One, or them CIA, FBI, IBM or whatever people aren't tickled pink by their ridiculous portrayals in Hollywood. They're glamorized; everything is. I can't expect to be treated any different.


Hollywood ain't to blame, really. I'm not pointing a finger, just exposing a truth. It's why I'm doin' this, you see. You just can't expect someone to write about something they ain't never met, seen, or had a decent conversation with over a beer or two.


Although, I don't think a whole lot of vampires like beer all that much. Not really our drink of choice., but it'll do on a hot night.


I bet no one's reading this anymore after that. It's alright; I figured it'd turn people off. Those who've kept going that think I'm playin' or crazy: I'm not. 'Least I've never thought so. You're free to disagree after I'm all said and done; it's a free country.


I 'spose this is where I quit bein' vague and just get on with it. Name's Nestor Jameson. American, rancher, and for the purpose of this memoir, even though I don't think so, I'm most importantly a vampire. To get a few things out of the way: I can see quite clearly how ugly I am upon waking in the evening, ain't no one ever been bold - or perhaps dumb – enough to try and stake me in the heart (although it'd just hurt all to hell, that's all,) I don't sleep in no coffin, and garlic tastes damn good.


I do, however, have a skin condition. Going outside at high noon is a pretty piss poor idea for me. I'm man enough to admit I'm a tad too delicate to stay out in the sun...in the sense that my flesh starts to sizzle like bacon after about a minute. It's fine, though. My cattle are as happy as can be grazin' under moonlight and sleeping under some shade during the day.


While it's been noted I dabble in some beer and food now and then, I don't recommend habits like those to another of my nature. Goes down real fine, no problem – it's the coming back up that ain't so pleasant. I ain't really equipped to digest nothing, especially buffalo wings, as I learned one time long, long ago.


That brings us, of course, to the issue of blood. Has to be mentioned sometime, don't it? For me, I don't like to complicate things. I've got over a hundred head, have for years, each of them full of the stuff. It can't compare to...well, I don't need to explain it. I take a heifer and drain her a bit into a flask. The cows don't mind it; it don't hurt much. Tastes like s**t, especially cold, but it lasts me the night.


My life probably ain't what people hope it is. I start things wrong by being named Nestor, sorry folks. Nothing exciting happens to a Nestor. Unlike the pale heartthrobs y'all have grown to love, I don't spend my evenings brooding about my dark, dreary existence. Never resolved myself to spend eternity all by my lonesome because I can't bear to share my curse with another. Certainly don't fly around and over skyscrapers where I know for damn sure I'd get my a*s shot down. Where in the hell did people get it in their heads that we even fly? Last I checked, I got arms, not wings. Quack.


Eh, but that ain't important. Misconceptions ain't never important unless they're harmful. Don't hurt me to have people thinkin' I flap my magical arms and soar in the clouds. Or that I ponder my demonic purpose on this earth through s****y poetry. I can guaran-damn-tee you that if I ever did write poetry, it'd be s****y. Probably about horseback riding or football rather than hell and eternal suffering, but still s****y.

© 2009 Katarra


Author's Note

Katarra
Broken up into bits to make it easier to read on the web.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on March 14, 2009

Author

Katarra
Katarra

Red Bluff, CA



Writing
Ambrosia Ambrosia

A Screenplay by Katarra


Just words. Just words.

A Poem by Katarra


Dreams Dreams

A Poem by Katarra