Life Ain't Always Beautiful

Life Ain't Always Beautiful

A Poem by Kathryn
"

Can you tell me the difference between a shooting star and an airplane? Well, I guess it doesn't really matter because they both fall to the ground in the end anyways. Right?

"

It only took me three hang ups to

Come to the conclusion that

He is Life's way of saying:

Thanks for playing!

Here's your Consolation Prize!

It only took me two nights

Without sleeping to realize

I'm in this until the end.

Better still, it only took me one

Drunken phone call to tell you

Exactly what is on my mind.

Somewhere in this ecstasy of a rebellion

I cuddle close to a bad boy sitting on a couch

Thinking about how I really shouldn't

But oh how I want to.

I ask myself to be honest when finding

Why it is I want to be there or here or really with him.

Maybe it's because I've become so cynical

I've settled for a let-down.

I know exactly what I'm getting,

I know what I'm in for.

I can count on him to let me down

In the most tragically predictable ways.

I don't wait on phone calls I know

I'll never get.

I don't hold my breath for roses that might

Show up on my doorstep and wilt a week later.

I don't go to bed at night and dream of a white wedding

Because I know that

I lost that dream a long time ago.

© 2009 Kathryn


Author's Note

Kathryn
Sir Maz: In this one I can really feel the pain and frustration and cynicism...and maybe even some anger- the tears that are intertwined with this piece.

It makes me think of a wilting flower I once saw that looked like it was weeping. Strangely I came back a week later to find it still weeping and wilting- but not dead.
I too hope that you find your old dreams again, and if not, that you find new ones that are even more beautiful than your original ones. A beautiful girl deserves beautiful dreams- its only right.

Reply:It's boys like you that help her to dream. Sometimes we get so weighed down with the crappy side of reality that we forget that there are amazing people and opportunities out there. We need to think big to dream and sometimes we let our vision narrow, slowly, and our bar of expectations drop, unknowingly. People like you take splinters out of eyes and raise the stakes so that girls like her can learn to dream again.


By the way, that flower you were talking about sounded like it just needed some tender, loving care. Water will do wonders for a wilting flower.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is a broad canvas of a world for dreaming out there. I think that ever once in awhile the guys you meet out there are more than just strokes on the page. Sometimes you find a knight with a green thumb willing to heal old wounds and teach the heart that dreams yet live.

I feel a lot of deep seeded anger and frustration within the lines of this one. It all sort of trickles down until it reaches its climax witch is a nice effect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"I can count on him to let me down
In the most tragically predictable ways.
I don't wait on phone calls I know
I'll never get."
I really like that part.
It's actually rather sad, yet not uncommon.
Excellent write.
oh & I really like the description and authors note too.
-Elissa :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


I Love this. "Somewhere in this ecstasy of a rebellion." and "I've settled for a let-down." Great lines. It all has so much to relate to.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Bitter, sweet. Quite inspired and very well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


There is a broad canvas of a world for dreaming out there. I think that ever once in awhile the guys you meet out there are more than just strokes on the page. Sometimes you find a knight with a green thumb willing to heal old wounds and teach the heart that dreams yet live.

I feel a lot of deep seeded anger and frustration within the lines of this one. It all sort of trickles down until it reaches its climax witch is a nice effect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2009

Author

Kathryn
Kathryn

Chapel Hill, NC



About
Here lies pieces of who I am. As for all my poems and stories: read them, take them for what they are worth, comment on them, leave criticism... but above all else, let yourself enjoy it, relat.. more..

Writing
Sunrise Sunrise

A Poem by Kathryn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


4 Play 4 Play

A Poem by Pen Draggin'