Sunrise

Sunrise

A Poem by Kathryn
"

"...burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." -jack kerouac

"

A long time ago, I swallowed

A mountain range of lies.

It took all night to digest the wrong,

But the truth fought its way out

From the darkest corners of me.

Small fires burned in my fingertips and toes

And the truth swallowed me.

I dreamt all sorts of Bosch dreams

And thought about becoming

The sort of artist that cuts his ear off.

My head and my heart battled

Somewhere south of the Sahara.

Parched and scorched, they both lost anyway

Beneath a Sun that tackles Darkness

One ray at a time.

And the light bleeds into streams

That penetrate the edges

And every shiny cell of who I am.

It leaves behind a girl

Who fought the fight against herself

And everything she thought she wanted.

In the end, she ended up the type of winner

That lays in bed at night

With a deep sense of courage
Given to her by someone bigger than herself.

© 2010 Kathryn


Author's Note

Kathryn
"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."
-jack kerouac

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is an amazing poem. I can imagine the fires and imagine everything you've describe. Its such powerful writing. Truly admirable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I absolutely love how powerful the imagery of the first three lines of this poem are very powerful. They really set the tone for the rest of the poem. At times I forget how important the beginning of a poem is. Drawing the reader in and immersing them with such emotion as this is a rare skill and you've certainly mastered it here!

Great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wonderful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


so incredibly visual. great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Having trouble finding the words, except that I very much enjoyed this! Love your artwork too by the way. You're very talented.

Antonio

Posted 14 Years Ago


The Jack Kerouac words are perfect. We learn with time and the hard way. A excellent poem. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


We are all naive at one time, sadly, it takes getting hurt to learn, to become wise. There is nothing wrong with dreaming, nothing at all, just it's good to know when it is a dream and when reality, that is what I see as the crux of this poem, learning to become wise.

Burning is fine sometimes, but I doubt even Kerouac lived the life he imagined, in quite that way he suggested. Sane men need equilibrium.

Lovely poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


cool
i had to look up the word bosch ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazing poem! And a great quotation above as well. I immensely love the line 'Beneath a Sun that tackles Darkness / One ray at a time.' That is seriously one of the best lines I've read recently. And in fact the next dozen or so lines are also great, the way that such a huge, awesome source of power can reach every little cell, every little part of who we are. Great imagery. As ever a pleasure to read your poems :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


i love this...i cant really explain why - not well anyway (it would be all the usual "i identified with this" and "it's captivating and beautiful" stuff) but i do like it a lot. it's empowering with a hint of a darkness overcome. i especially like the last four lines. really great. keep it up :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 10, 2010

Author

Kathryn
Kathryn

Chapel Hill, NC



About
Here lies pieces of who I am. As for all my poems and stories: read them, take them for what they are worth, comment on them, leave criticism... but above all else, let yourself enjoy it, relat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sugar and Sun Sugar and Sun

A Poem by Muse


F**k. F**k.

A Story by Harley Ann