Quest

Quest

A Chapter by Silver_water_dragon
"

Sylvia finds herself in an unfamiliar place surrounded by people she doesn't know.

"

Chapter III: Quest


She was falling, falling deeper and deeper… ... ...

Where did that girl come from?” Nolen exclaimed as he stepped in front of Queen Quara. the queen’s other guard, Tessa stepped in front, as well, with a sci in each hand.

Queen Quara spoke. “Zell, see if she is okay.”

Me? Are your mighty guards scared, or am I just bait if something goes wrong?” His question was only answered with a cold stare from Tessa and a ‘what are you waiting on’ look from the queen. He sighed and bent down beside the girl. She laid so still. He lifted her wrist to check her pulse. “Her pulse is steady. It seems as though she is sleeping if not just unconscious.”

She couldn't have fallen from the sky.” Tessa remarked.

Zell just looked at her and then spoke to the queen. “What do we do now, my lady? We cannot continue the quest and leave her like this.”

And why not?” Tessa spoke harshly. “It's imperative that we continue this quest.”

Queen Quara knew Tessa was feeding a flame by continuing with her stern attitude. Zell stood. His long, brown hair covered part of one eye. He glared at Tessa. “How can you say that?” He kept calm even though he felt angered. “Do you not recall...” He let it go. “Never mind.”

Tessa almost said something else, but stopped when the queen laid her hand on Tessa’s shoulder. “Say no more. You know his situation. Please, be more considerate, Tessa.”

I'm a warrior. I don't have too much room for considerate feelings.”

Tessa, you are under my orders so you must do as I say.” Queen Quara defended Zell.

It's fine.” Zell sighed.

Look at the girl’s strange clothing. I wonder where she is from. Perhaps an unknown world.” Nolen commented as they stared at her.

Sylvia’s arm jerked. Zell bent down to her side. “She is waking.”

Sylvia made mumbled noises as she woke up. She moved her hand and felt grass under her fingertips. She moved her hand farther, felt material of a long jacket. Her eyes shot open as she gasped. She saw strangers around her in an unfamiliar place. Her mind was flooding with confusion. She sat up and pushed herself away from Zell. “Where am I? Who are you strange people?”

Zell moved towards Sylvia. She screamed, “Get away!” With everything she had been through it was best to be cautious.

No, please, we are not enemies.” Zell continued.

Queen Quara walked over to Zell. “Perhaps I should handle this.” Zell nodded and watched as the queen attempted to walk near Sylvia. “Dear girl, we won't hurt you. We are not even sure where you came from. This kingdom that you are in is called Enigma. My name is Quara, the queen of Enigma.”

Sylvia breathed heavily from shock. She was in awe of the dark-skinned queen’s beauty, but was still scared. She noticed her clothing; a long, flowing white dress, she wore brown sandals that tied up, at her middle she wore a uniquely designed belt, her dress was sleeveless, she wore arm bands around her biceps with white sleeves that connected, in her black, curly, pulled-up hair she wore a headpiece decorated with diamonds. “How do I know I can really trust them?” She scanned around. Nothing at all was familiar. Nature was all around; they were in a forest. Large trees that stretched as far as she could see was all she could make out. There were dirt paths that had been walked on many times from the look of the worn paths.“How did I get here and what is a queen doing here?”

Zell walked over to her. “We don't know where you came from. We were journeying, looked back on the path and you were there.” He saw the confusion and sadness in Sylvia’s face and felt compassion. “Tell me, what is your name?”

Sylvia Silver.” She said softly.

Zell jumped. His compassion level swiftly changed when he heard the name that triggered his anger. “Silver!” He grabbed his dagger that was strapped on his belt, jerked Sylvia’s arm and placed the point of the weapon at her chest. Sylvia screamed with fear. She did not know what to think. When he had jerked her arm her black scarf flew off her. She wondered if this was a nightmare. She should not have given her name. She cursed herself.

Zell! Explain yourself!” Queen Quara demanded as she pounded her metal staff to the ground.

Did you not hear her name? Silver! It is some kind of trick!” Zell shouted.

Oh, blast it… I'm so confused. You don't look like anyone I've seen in my city; and you're not the town guards from my home. Why are you after me?”

Zell, boy, calm down. People around here usually don't have two names. You know that.” Nolen spoke up.

Why would she share the name Silver with that of my rival? Who are you?” He spoke loudly in Sylvia’s ear.

Zell, you are scaring the poor girl!” Queen Quara shouted and took a few steps towards them.

No, stay back!” Zell’s face was red with anger. “Tell me who you are, girl! Are you working for Silver?”

I told you!” She felt tears roll down her cheeks. She hated that she was crying, but she was so confused and exhausted. “I don't know what else to say.” She tried to suck up her tears she couldn’t control her breathing well.

You must be lying! You said your name is Silver!” He squeezed her arm tighter.

Sylvia felt his anger from his grip through the soft texture of her gray jacket. “My name is Sylvia! Yes, my last name is Silver. What do you want from me? I only stole some food, please have forgiveness! Is a life of a minor thief not worth more than a loaf of bread?” She desperately pleaded.

Zell tugged her around so they were face to face. He slowly lowered the dagger from her chest. “Bread?” He was unsure of what she was speaking of.

Tessa punched Zell’s shoulder. “Zell, talk about consideration. Look at what you are doing. Let her go.” Tessa helped Sylvia up and walked her away from Zell. “Come on, Sylvia.” From her pocket she pulled out a piece of cloth and handed it to Sylvia.

We might as well set up camp here, my lady. The sundial reads that it is nearing half past the twentieth hour.” Nolen suggested.

Queen Quara stared up at the sky. “Half past eight and the sun is beginning to set.” She looked at Nolen. “Gather some firewood.”

Yes.” He went on his way.

Queen Quara turned to Zell. His head was hung down as he sat there. “Zell, I thought you were going to calm down about Silver. We will fight him soon enough.”

Yes…” He mumbled.

Make yourself useful and prepare the fish that was caught earlier. Fix some rice you have in your bag as well.” Queen Quara said.

Sylvia walked off with Tessa. She noticed her clothing as well. The top was light blue, thin, loose material with long, flared out sleeves. The pants were loose, black and of the same material. She wore sandals. Her light brown hair was really long and was in a ponytail with leather weaved in and around it.

Why are you following me?” Tessa asked.

Because you stopped that man… and I want to make sure he does not pull a dagger on me again.”

Oh Zell? No need to worry about that. He only goes berserk when it has to do with a rival.”

Sylvia carried wood back to the campsite. She sat down against a tree. While Zell was preparing food, Sylvia watched him. She gave all of them uncertain stares. Zell decided to say something after glancing at her cold stare. “So your name is Sylvia...”

I would not repeat it so easily again. Last time I almost got killed.” Sylvia threw Zell’s attempt to be nice in his face.

Yes, my apologies for that incident.” He held out fish and rice on leaves to Sylvia. “Do you accept my apology?” He put on a corny smirk.

I will consider it.” Sylvia gave a weak smile and took the food. She was still going to be cautious. Soon the others gathered and joined in the dinner as the sun began to set. “You said I am in Enigma?” Sylvia stared around. There were trees everywhere. If they are traveling they may be following the long dirt paths, she thought. There were no dirt roads where she was from.

The queen answered. “Yes, this is just outside of the Enigma palace as well as some of its villages. Have you not heard of it?”

Do you not recognize anything?” Zell asked.

If I recognized anything I wouldn't remain with strangers including one who threatened my life!” She said angrily.

Is it possible she has amnesia?” Nolen, an older looking man, asked.

Can you remember what happened to you? Why were you lying on the ground unconscious? Were you robbed?” Quara asked with concern.

Sylvia shook her head. “I have no idea how I got here.” Then a thought hit her. “Wait, I may know. Nothing around here is like where I live.”Sylvia looked at the queen. “What is the date anyway?”

Date?” Queen Quara showed her confusion.

Yes. The month, date and year.” Sylvia broke it down.

Oh, the year. It is the fifth month of the year 1380. Are you ill, child?” Queen Quara wondered why Sylvia's reaction was of surprise.

Are you joking?” Sylvia tried to laugh her concern away.

Why would we joke? What were you expecting?” Tessa asked.

Sylvia stood, and began slowly backing up with fear on her face. “It cannot be. How? I mean medieval ages? The same ages that happened long ago and my mother told me of princesses and noble people? No…”

Zell attempted to slowly walk over to her. “Sylvia…”

No! I must be having a nightmare!” Sylvia started to run away.

Sylvia, no! Come back. I think I know what's going on.” Zell yelled to her, but it did not stop her.

Sure, I wanted to leave, but this is ridiculous! I still don't know how I ended up here. I just thought… I don't know, but not back in time!” She continued to run carelessly in the night. All her emotions were at a high point, and she seemed to forget she was in a forest area. She tripped on the root of a large tree, flew some feet ahead, and landed headfirst. Pounding pain struck her head and tears stung her eyes. She tried to push herself up, but pain, emotions, thoughts, and weariness forced her to drop back down to the ground.

Sylvia, are you okay?” Zell caught up with her and knelt at her side. “Answer me.” Zell gently turned her over on her back so she could breath easier. He wiped dirt from her face along with the tears.

Zell, is she okay?” Nolen shouted to him.

Yes, I'll carry her back.” He replied. “Okay, Sylvia, you don't like me much and I return the feelings, but you are in need of help. I am going to gently pick you up.” Zell placed an arm under her legs and one under her back and carefully lifted her up.

Great, so our journey is prolonged by a cry baby girl we don't even know?” Tessa complained.

Never mind, Tessa, we were setting up camp anyway.” Queen Quara said. “Fill more water in the wooden bucket. She is burning up.” Quara felt Sylvia’s bumped head. “What a strange coat she wears.” Quara fooled with it.

It zips.” Zell said.

Zips?” Queen Quara seemed confused.

Yes, I had on something similar when you met me.” Zell reminded.

Ah, yes, of course.” Queen Quara unzipped Sylvia’s jacket and laid it beside her. “What a bright red she wears and such a pretty blue necklace.”

Zell looked. “Let me see that.” He bent down for a closer look, and held it between his fingers. “Could it really be?” He asked himself as he looked at his own pendent. Sylvia began to move as Queen Quara placed a cold cloth on her forehead.

Sylvia, dear, how are you feeling?” Queen Quara asked.

Sylvia attempted to get up and failed. She groaned. “Ugh… why am I still here? I was hoping it was a nightmare.”

Zell seemed amused. “Yes, come out of a nightmare to awake in another.”

What is that supposed to mean?” Sylvia rubbed her forehead.

You were obviously being chased by people for stealing bread, which does not sound like an ideal way to live. Also, you are not seeing the great side about being here, either.” Zell explained.

I…” Sylvia stood and immediately lifted her right ankle up with a scream. “Blast!”

It seems you may have twisted it.” Queen Quara said.

Great! Now how are we to continue if we have to baby-sit?” Tessa snorted.

Tessa, down.” Nolen said. “Relax for once. We will deal with plans in the morning.”

Dear, can you walk on it at all?” Queen Quara asked.

No” A whine came out when she tried. Quara insisted on fixing it up. Sylvia unlaced, and removed her boots. She wrapped Sylvia’s ankle with leather cloth.

Weakling.” Tessa muttered under her breath.

There.” Queen Quara stood. “You still should not walk on it though. Zell can carry you when we continue journeying.”

No thanks.” She yelled as she put her boots back on.

I know you two got off to a rough start, but we cannot delay our journey much longer. Forget these feelings.” Quara advised.

I could just use a stick to lean on.” Sylvia suggested.

You will still slow us down way too much.” Tessa rolled her eyes with complaint.

Look, I didn't ask to come here. I don't need any of you!” Sylvia shouted with frustration. She felt a rush of dizziness through her body when she stood. She wondered if she was getting ill.

Are you all right?” Zell asked.

What do you care? I just appeared in this time period. How am I supposed to be?” She retorted.

Enough drama. I'm going to sleep.” Tessa moved to her little spot, and laid in the grass.

Maybe it is a good idea to get some sleep.” Nolen advised as he walked to a nearby tree. He sat down with his sheathed sword between his arms, and closed his eyes. He preferred to stay out of quarrels.

Sylvia, I know you have been through so much, but you are among friends. We will try to figure out answers for you along our quest.” Quara tried to reassure her with a touch and a smile. “Zell, watch after her until she goes to sleep.”

That isn't necessary.” Sylvia said. She felt the rush of dizziness again, and felt herself falling.

You may need us after all.” Sylvia heard Zell say after he stopped her from falling, and carefully lowered her to where she could sit on the ground. He sat a distance away from her so she would not feel threatened. “How is your health?”

I'm fine. Don't sound so concerned. You probably just feel guilty for holding a weapon at my throat.”

Maybe so.” He answered.

In the silence Zell stared down. Except for the fire that crackled and popped, birds and every now and then a wolf howl. Sylvia sensed something strange about Zell. He wore a long dark brown jacket. His shaggy, dark brown hair hung in his face. He had one long earring and he wore a necklace around his neck, but it was covered by his shirt. “Are you not tired, Sylvia?” Zell looked at her interrupting her thoughts.

She yawned, but was not sure she could sleep if she wanted to. “Too many questions are in my head to sleep. Why is everyone here traveling? I did not know queens traveled like this, and slept outside on a blanket.”

There has been some trouble at some towns that are part of the Enigma Kingdom. A powerful man from Misty-Wood Lake has been causing some problems. His name is Silver.”

One man? How can one person cause so much trouble?”

You would have to understand Enigma to know that. He was banned from the city. He developed a strength, and used them against anyone he felt threatened by.”

What kind of strength?”

Nothing of your concern.” His words sounded inconsiderate as if he did not want to answer all her questions, or talk about his rival. “Do all people from wherever you are from have strange clothing such as yours, and steal bread?”

Sylvia felt caught off guard by that question.“How dreadful.” She did not have the energy to argue or think of a sarcastic reply to shoot back at him. She sighed and turned away.

Night became darker and darker to Sylvia. She finally decided to lay down and dream everything away. She hoped that all experiences had just been extremely deep, and long nightmares. “I feel scared, but different from alone and on the streets running and hiding. I do not know this place or these strange people. Am I supposed to trust them? Trust? Ha, my trust for others has grown thin. I have been alone basically my whole life.”

She eventually fell into sleep. Unfortunately, it was not of peaceful dreams for a young girl who had been through hell. She eventually went to sleep. Morning came too quickly. She felt the sunshine on her face and woke up. Nervously she looked around as her vision adjusted. “It was not a dream. All the pain and confusion is still here.” She whispered to herself. The fire had been put out and she saw none of the strangers she had met. “So this is it? I am on my own again? Maybe they realized who I am and left.”

Dear girl, we would not abandon you.” Queen Quara knelt beside Sylvia. “We all have our shady pasts. One of the big rules in my kingdom is to watch out for each other and never to abandon someone in a time of need.”

Maybe that kindness is expected of a queen.”

Not necessarily. My sister turned evil somewhere in her path of life.”

I see.” Sylvia sighed. “Are we headed to Misty-Wood Lake?”

Ah, so you and Zell talked? Are you forming a friendship?” Queen Quara smiled.

Sylvia laughed. “I would hardly say that.”

We'll eventually get there. We have to go through Hazy Peak Village where we can eat. Then to Sunset Valley, down from the mountain of Hazy Peak leads into Umbra Forest, the edge of the Enigma Kingdom before we come upon Vesper, which starts the area that Silver controls. Outside of the forest is the mysterious lake of Misty Wood.”

Sounds like a long journey.” Sylvia commented.

It will be, but well worth it when Silver is stopped!” Zell said as he walked towards them with Tessa and Nolen.

Get on my back, Sylvia, and hurry before I change my mind!” Tessa offered and knelt down.

Sylvia started to hesitate, but saw the unhappy look on Tessa's face and hurried up to her.

They walked on a straight path for a while. No one said much. Sylvia was still confused at how she ended up here, and how she was going to get home. How much could she really trust these strangers? Did it really matter a whole lot? She had the choice of dying in her time period, or take a chance here with trusting them.

Here is Hazy Peak Village, Sylvia.” Queen Quara said.

Finally! Let’s find a tavern so I can get this weight off my back.” Tessa grumbled.

You are the one who offered, Tessa!” Tessa’s personality was annoying Sylvia.

The Snowy Owl Tavern,” Nolen said, “’Tis a great place.”

They all walked in the large, wooden building.

There were a lot of people inside. They were sitting at tables made of sturdy wood. Most were talking, playing cards or drinking from pitchers. Nolen sat at the bar on a stool. Tessa practically dropped Sylvia when she walked in the door and went to join Nolen. Queen Quara shook her head and sighed and followed them. Sylvia grunted and pushed herself up. She used both of her feet. She moaned as she stood and lifted her hurt ankle up a little. Zell walked up beside her. “Sylvia, would you like my help?” He offered an arm for her to lean on.

She looked up at him. “No.” She stubbornly hopped over to a chair and sat down. “I am not even that hungry.”

Zell sat down beside her. Sylvia’s stomach growled embarrassingly loud. She just hoped it hadn’t been that loud. She turned her head away, but Zell had heard it. “So, you are incredibly stubborn.” He teased her.

Sylvia just looked down at the table and then finally said. “Why don’t you go join your friends?”

Oh, would you like a drink?” Zell asked.

No, no, I don't drink.”

I am not much of a drinker either. I do enjoy some wine on occasion though.” Zell knew Sylvia was hurting and not only because of her ankle. He knew she was still really confused at how she got to this strange place. “I can go get you some food. Their chicken and rice is good.”

Okay, if you want to.” Sylvia watched him get up to order the food.

I got us some water.”

Thank you.” She began to eat. “Why are you being nice to me? Is it because I am temporarily a cripple?”

Of course not.”

Well, I hope it isn't pity.”

I'm not a bad person you know.” Zell tried to defend the view of him that she had.

I have a question.” She changed the subject.

Go ahead.”

Before I ran off and twisted my ankle you said you knew what was going on. You know how I can get to my own time period again?”

Well… maybe.”

Tell me what you know!” Sylvia got excited.

Calm down, Sylvia. It's not as simple as snapping your fingers.”

Just tell me.”

Let’s just say your necklace could have something to do with it.”

My necklace?” She looked down at the blue stone. “How?”

A power that my rival knows of.”

Are you saying that this Silver could get me back...err rather forward?”

He won't help us, and we aren't going to him for help. We are going there to fight him.”

I'm going to get his help then.” After the conversation starting out all right, it seemed the attitudes were back to normal so soon.

You don't know what you're dealing with!” He shouted louder than intended. Some people turned and stared.

Blast it all! You don't control my decisions.” She stood and awkwardly limped out of the tavern almost tripping. She heard Zell calling behind. “Go away.” She hopped trying to reach a tree to lean against for a moment. Zell easily caught up to her. “Leave me alone.”

Sylvia, I didn't mean to upset you.” He apologized. Sylvia stepped wrong and fell, but Zell moved, and caught her around the waist; then gently let her sit. He sat in front of her. There was a long silence. “I didn't mean to holler at you. It's just that Silver is very dangerous. Even if you beg for help he could still kill you just for his twisted fun.”

There still must be a way.”

If your desire is to return home then I will do my best to find a way.”

Home…” Sylvia thought. “I have no home. But I do not belong here. I do not know where I belong.”

You two, let us head down the mountain into Sunset Valley.” Queen Quara walked up to them.

I apologize for slowing you down, queen.” Sylvia looked up at Queen Quara.

There is no need for apologies. It's not your fault.” The queen answered, and then added. “You may call me by my first name. This time Tessa will be more gentle with carrying you.” She did not have to shoot Tessa a glare because the commanding sense in her voice was enough.

Ugh.” Tessa sighed. “Down the mountain will not take long, but when we reach the Valley you can find a stick to use as a staff.

As they walked it seemed like a long while passed. Everyone seemed to be in their own world. “I thought you people were close? Why is everyone so quiet?” Sylvia asked.

Well, not exactly close.” Quara answered.

I was assigned to this quest as a guard because my skills are high.” Tess added.

Nolen has worked with the queen before and as for me; I'm still a bit new compared to the rest of the group.” Zell said.

Let's not play a hundred get to know everyone questions now.” Tessa rolled her eyes.

Sylvia felt like a burden enough without Tessa's attitude. She gritted her teeth and hoped they would reach the valley soon.



© 2015 Silver_water_dragon


Author's Note

Silver_water_dragon
ChapterI feel like i should add so much more description, but my mind went blank.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was an interesting turn of events! It was nice that this Queen took pity on Sylvia, as opposed to the ruthless guard that came after her before. I would imagine as a result she has a considerable fear of authority so at least Quara didn’t perpetuate it by being scummy to her. Tome travel, what an interesting and unexpected plot twist! Up to this point Sylvia has been a very victimized character who is withdrawn in herself, so her outbursts of irritation and anger in this chapter are very relatable. It seems as though she’s been pent up, kicked to the curb, and looked down on so long that (despite them trying to hurt her at first) she’s reluctant to accept from strangers who actually do like her. After all of her torture also Sylvia wound up in the best position possible: walking about with a queen who has taken a liking for her. Respect AND power. I’m curious to see where this goes.

I was unsure about Zell at first but now I don’t mind him. He seems genuinely sorry for assaulting her, such that I find myself poking the screen going ‘forgive him, woman!’ Will he remain this way? Will he change when they reach his rival? These are good questions to be raking up as they keep me wanting to read further. I’m also very interested in domestic situations and family dynamics, so I like how the queen seems like a mother to all them and the others like brothers and sister to Sylvia (at least that’s the vibe I got for a budding plot situation or character development). The end of the chapter seemed to just fall away though; it’s not exactly a cliff hanger just a total halt in the conversation. This is a bit nitpicky but I feel like I needed a little more chapter closure or something to rake up questions. It was just a little too neutral I guess.




Suggestions:

“Quara. the queen’s other” ‘the’ needs capitalized

“she could see was all she” were

“decided to lay down” Lie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

You're fine, no rush! I agree about Sylvia, it seems like her stubbornness is a lot of her character.. read more
Silver_water_dragon

9 Years Ago

Well i was not busy at work today and read some of your work :) great stuff.
I feel like my c.. read more
Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Thanks! Naw, it doesn't suck at all. It's not super actiony but not every chapter needs to be. There.. read more



Reviews

This was an interesting turn of events! It was nice that this Queen took pity on Sylvia, as opposed to the ruthless guard that came after her before. I would imagine as a result she has a considerable fear of authority so at least Quara didn’t perpetuate it by being scummy to her. Tome travel, what an interesting and unexpected plot twist! Up to this point Sylvia has been a very victimized character who is withdrawn in herself, so her outbursts of irritation and anger in this chapter are very relatable. It seems as though she’s been pent up, kicked to the curb, and looked down on so long that (despite them trying to hurt her at first) she’s reluctant to accept from strangers who actually do like her. After all of her torture also Sylvia wound up in the best position possible: walking about with a queen who has taken a liking for her. Respect AND power. I’m curious to see where this goes.

I was unsure about Zell at first but now I don’t mind him. He seems genuinely sorry for assaulting her, such that I find myself poking the screen going ‘forgive him, woman!’ Will he remain this way? Will he change when they reach his rival? These are good questions to be raking up as they keep me wanting to read further. I’m also very interested in domestic situations and family dynamics, so I like how the queen seems like a mother to all them and the others like brothers and sister to Sylvia (at least that’s the vibe I got for a budding plot situation or character development). The end of the chapter seemed to just fall away though; it’s not exactly a cliff hanger just a total halt in the conversation. This is a bit nitpicky but I feel like I needed a little more chapter closure or something to rake up questions. It was just a little too neutral I guess.




Suggestions:

“Quara. the queen’s other” ‘the’ needs capitalized

“she could see was all she” were

“decided to lay down” Lie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

You're fine, no rush! I agree about Sylvia, it seems like her stubbornness is a lot of her character.. read more
Silver_water_dragon

9 Years Ago

Well i was not busy at work today and read some of your work :) great stuff.
I feel like my c.. read more
Meat of Dog

9 Years Ago

Thanks! Naw, it doesn't suck at all. It's not super actiony but not every chapter needs to be. There.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on May 18, 2015


Author

Silver_water_dragon
Silver_water_dragon

Nowhere, TN



About
Writing has always been my passion. Poetry, short stories, novels. I hope to grow in my skill and be published more..

Writing