Dawn of Darkness: The Beginning

Dawn of Darkness: The Beginning

A Story by Kerunai
"

This is a story series I am working one, piece by piece. Having fun with it!

"

Dark clouds blocked out the sun. Thunder rolled and boomed, as lightning lit up the skies. Below, the salty waves tossed and tumbled, growing larger as the wind whipped and raged from the north. The rain came down in torrents, pelting the deck of the wooden ship, and soaking the wood. The first mate barked out orders to the crew who busied themselves to carry those orders out. The sails were taken in, so as to not be blown off course. The idea was to wait out the storm, as the waves weren’t so bad that they needed to get out of danger. Near the bow, on top deck, a woman cloaked in a silver robe stood by a man who was robbed in royal purple. Both had crowns fastened to their heads. Soldiers stood by, on edge from the storm, but otherwise relaxed. The man smiled down at his wife and looked to the small bundle of joy she held in her arms. A small child, nearly a year old, rested against her mother’s breast. She had dark, nearly obsidian black hair. Her emerald green eyes were closed now, resting while the storm raged on around them. Her little fingers curled tightly around her mother’s necklace. Their calm was shattered by the sound of lightning as it hit the main mast. The following boom of thunder was loud enough to wake the dead. Deckhands scrambled as they tried to put out the fire that was quickly spreading, but another bolt of lighting struck the ship near the stern, and soon they understood their battle with the flames was a lost cause. The captain readied the life boats, and had the king and queen begin to board. A large wave crashed into the side of the ship and the queen and her child were sent flying over the side. The life boat was lowered down into the unforgiving seas. The queen tried to stay close to the boat, but between holding her child’s head above the waves and the weight of her attire, she was quickly losing strength. She felt something brush up against her. The queen was so tired at this point, her arm holding her child threatened to release her. She saw the life boat coming for her, she knew she would be safe soon. But her child.. Suddenly she felt her child being taken from her arms, as if the water itself was wishing her to drop the child. She screamed up at the skies to whatever god might be listening. 

 

“Save my baby, please! Save my Allene!” 

 

Something came up from the waves, a sleek head, covered in scales, long like a horse’s. two horns upon the top of it’s head that looked like blackened icicles, Nearly glowing blue orbs seemed to bring the queen into a state of shock. This was a water dragon. Feared for their ever-changing moods, and loved for their kindness. The desperate mother, without a thought, handed her child up to the dragon, who took it in it’s maw gently. But as the life boats came closer, the dragon’s eyes became a glare. There was a man raging in the small life boat, he was screaming out of fear, and waved a sword in the air. The dragon gave a deep growl and sunk below the waves. 

 

The queen screamed in horror as she watched her baby disappear beneath the black waves, her strength gave out and she began to sink, hoping to join her child in a watery grave. Large hands pulled at her soaked body before she could embrace the darkness that surrounded her and she was pulled into the chaos of life. She sobbed openly as her king held her, the dread and hatred in his eyes was enough to keep the crew silent while they worked on getting everyone safely to shore. The closest line of safety being Conach Moore, an island that held many mountains. On the eastern side there was a small village that would be able to help them get home to Riochtdome. 

 

Beneath the unforgiving waves, in the calm depths of the ocean, the water dragon still carried the young child in it’s maw, a protective barrier surrounded it so that water did not enter the child’s lungs. The dragon had sensed darkness in the King’s heart and sought to save both the mother and the child, but when she had looked for the mother, the king was already pulling her with him. With a heavy heart she took the child to her home, Farlig Dyre. It was a rather large island, filled with forests, mountains, rivers, and plains. It was a beautiful land where Humans dared not tread, and Dragons lived peacefully. She swam up to the edge of the massive cliff that served as a shoreline, digging her claws into the rough earth as she hauled her long, lithe body up the mountainous wall. Her deep blue scales dripped water and left a wet trail as she climbed over the wall and onto the soft lush grass of the northern forest. She placed the now awake, and yet peaceful child, onto the ground. She held her massive head to the sky and beckoned her elders with a roar. As she waited for the sounds of familiar wings beating against the wind, she gathered a few logs and used her claw to dig a small, shallow hole She placed the logs inside and lit a fire with her maw. Her fire was blue, but unlike most fires, it wasn’t as hot as it should be. It was warm, like a sunny day rather than a bursting inferno. She placed the child near the edge of it so as to keep it warm, spreading one of her small wings over her so as to keep her dry. She curled herself up around the child the mother had called Allene, and looked to the skies, awaiting the judgment of her elders.

© 2016 Kerunai


Author's Note

Kerunai
Honestly, I would love someone critical, who can really help me learn and build on my writing abilities.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on September 1, 2016
Last Updated on September 1, 2016
Tags: dragons, adventure, comingofage, love, romance, friendship

Author

Kerunai
Kerunai

About
I love to write, and I am learning to edit. So please, feel free to give crit! All cover art has been done by: http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/gallery/ He accepts all sorts of commissions so please c.. more..

Writing