Dawn of Darkness: The Decision

Dawn of Darkness: The Decision

A Story by Kerunai
"

2nd part to my dawn of darkness series

"

The slender blue dragoness listened intently as the skies were soon filled with the beating of powerful wings. The first to arrive was the protector himself. A great silver dragon, covered in scars from countless battles, both with his own kind and others. Dragons were hunted for many things, their blood, scales, and eggs. Even their bones were sought after. It used to be that the humans would respect the dragons, and the dragons would in turn present them with gifts. But as the turn of the ages came about, the respect became distrust, dragons were treated no better than the other predators of the land. The great silver dragon, his size massive in comparison to the sleek form of the blue dragon, landed with a thud beside her. He growled low in his throat as the scent of human came over him. 

 

"Azula, what have you done?"

 

The language of the dragons was rich and beautiful, it was not spoken aloud, but imprinted into the mind itself. Azula, the slender water dragon, stayed silent, but met the steely purple eyes of her elder. One after another dragons began to arrive. Iro, the fierce fire wyvern with scales redder than rich oxygenated blood. Kaegan, a wingless dragon with scales that were a brighter white than the clouds themselves. Gronn came next, he was a dragon much like Azula, with a long slender body, and four powerful legs with sharp talons. Atop his head he had antlers like a mighty dear. His scales matched the trunks of the trees so that he blended well with them. Though his golden eyes seemed to glow, even against the storm that surrounded the gathering draconians. Raig was the last to arrive. He made his way over, the wingless drake that looked as if he were a mighty boulder moving along the earth itself. He sniffed the air and made a grumble, sitting himself down near the edge of the trees, and not coming any closer.

 

Azula lowered her wing that had been over the small bundled child and instantly the draconians around her started clamoring about what a fool Azula had been to bring the infant here. Thoughts as malicious as that of the very king she had taken her from crossed the minds of the elders around her and she sunk low, curling her tail protectively around the infant. It was Calhal, the mighty silver dragon that spoke up. He opened his wings wide, bringing the attention of the group that had gathered around him, to rest on him. 

 

“Azula, you look like you wish to protect this human from your own kind. But why is that? What made you bring this child here?” 

 

Though he was stiff and his voice hard, he spoke with reason. While Cienna, the matriarch of their kind was with her eggs, Calhal was the voice of reason. Weather he liked it or not. His eyes moved to roam over the small harmless child that lay encircled by the different draconians. Clutched in the tiny hands of the infant was a silver strand that held a small emerald. Royalty. Azula went over everything that had just happened, how she tried to help the child and the mother. The deep and growing darkness of the man’s heart, and why she simply had to bring the child back here. Calhal shook his head with a sigh. Female dragons were too much. The motherly instinct they had was enough to make a male hide in the mountains. The silver protector looked once more at the smiling child with bright green eyes and lowered his head in defeat. 

 

“This is a matter of Cienna. This child is of Royal blood. With how you tell the tale, Azula, no doubt the mother thinks this infant has been killed. There will be no way to safely get the child to it’s mother. The choice we are left with, is to either kill the child, or look after it.” 

 

A round of growls came up from both sides as some thought to have the child drown while others thought that too cruel for the innocent blooded human. 

 

“They have done worse to our offspring!” 

 

Raig spoke now, his gruff voice as if his insides themselves were made of stone. The male drake’s eyes grew distant for a moment before he shook his head in remembrance. His mate had died trying to protect their nest from hunters. 

 

“Weather this child lives or dies is a choice for the mother. We all have our thoughts. Cienna has never thought of herself when making choices that affect us all. We shall trust her judgment in this.” 

 

Kaegan had spoken softer than the rest, but her words touched each one of them. A nod seemed to be the answer from all draconians in the group. Azula moved to pick up the infant child, but Calhal stopped her. He held his weight with his hind legs and used his forelegs to tenderly pick up the child. He flexed his wings and propelled himself into the air. The child in his hand giggled. The soft coo of laughter like the sound of a mighty wind blowing through the forest. A melody that Calhal hadn't expected from the little thing that was smaller than his claws. He flew with ease to the nest of the golden mother, and was met with a blast of fire that he had to quickly swerve to avoid. 

 

“Cienna! It’s Calhal! I mean your eggs no harm! I only seek your wisdom.” 

 

He had to call out to her, hoping his thoughts reached her. There was no voice that answered but a low, accepting growl. Cienna was a beautiful, long and lithe dragon with shimmering golden scales and the bluest eyes that shone like diamonds. The mother was tired, as she had just given birth to five eggs, each an opalescent hue that marked they were still deciding on their elements. Calhal came close enough to the nest that Cienna would be able to hear his words. He explained the situation, and hovered close to the nest as he awaited her response. 

 

“Bring the child to my nest, and place her among my young. If the child’s heart is strong enough to latch onto one of these young ones, then she may stay with us. If not, then her heart is just as dark as her fathers, and she will not be permitted to remain.” 

 

The silver dragon seemed almost terrified of the emotional mother’s response. But he did as he was told, bringing the child and laying her among the impressionable eggs. As the child squirmed among the eggs, both the silver and Gold dragon’s eyes began to widen as they looked on to a spectacle that neither of them had expected.  

© 2016 Kerunai


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on September 13, 2016
Last Updated on September 13, 2016
Tags: dragons, water, child, conflict, drama, coming, of, age, darkness, dawn, fantasy, adventure, love, family, friends, powers

Author

Kerunai
Kerunai

About
I love to write, and I am learning to edit. So please, feel free to give crit! All cover art has been done by: http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/gallery/ He accepts all sorts of commissions so please c.. more..

Writing
I am a Hunter! I am a Hunter!

A Story by Kerunai