I am a Hunter!

I am a Hunter!

A Story by Kerunai
"

This is the first part of a series I am currently working on. It is based on a game series known as Monster Hunter

"

I opened my eyes to the dark damp under cabin of the airship I was currently on. I could smell the slightly rotted wood and the musty smell of the many felynes and melynxs on board. The sounds of feet moving above me brought the dust raining down on the ragged hammock I was currently sleeping in. With a groan I rolled off the make-shift bed and made my way up the squeaky steps that led to upper deck. The sounds of the crew grew louder, but the fresh wind brought on the smell of the sea air. The salty bite of it made me feel better about my current situation. I am a hunter. I might be fresh out of the Wycadamey, but I am now, officially, a hunter. I strapped my custom-made dual blades at my back and smiled at the handy work of the Wycadamy smithy. He had made them out of simple iron ore, but the details he had put in made me smile. At the hilt he had wrapped the tooth of the first monster I had taken down without my instructor. A Great Jaggi. The beast’s leathery hide now coated my body, though strengthened by iron plates beneath it. The wind gave a sudden burst, and I looked to the skies as the shriek of pterodactyl filled my ears. Their sound could curdle milk in an instant. They were usually harmless, but these ones seemed almost frightened. That’s when I saw the storm clouds brewing. I knew then exactly what was coming.

 

“Anyone who doesn’t know how to fight! Get below deck! An Astalos is on its way! Captain! Do what you can about making this ship move as fast as it can! I’d rather not be in the middle of the ocean if that thing decides to use us as target practice!”

 

The captain, a burly man probably in his late thirties, gave a gruff nod and barked a few orders in the wyverian language that was beyond my understanding. I kept my eyes on the clouds, seeing the sparks of green lightning that marked the beating of the beast’s wings. The ship had gone silent. Not even the felynes made a sound. All that could be heard was the fire that kept the balloon floating and the flaps of the ship as we made our way towards Moga village. I could feel the sweat drip down the sides of my face as I watched those threatening clouds. My bones shook, but thank the elder dragons my skin didn’t quake. I went over my notes in my head. An Astalos, dragon. Lightning element, large monster, roughly two standard airships long and four mud-huts high. Scales are black and green. It charges up with lighting running along its scales and then releasing a burst from its maw. Weak against weapons that hold an ice or water element. I looked in my bag and sighed. I had only a few vials of liquid health left. It was a bizarre type of potion, it could heal just about any wound, no matter how dire. I also had some mosswine jerky thanks to my trainer. A felyne stood beside me with a Rathian rapier, and clad in what looked like armor befitting Yukomo village. His fur was black as night and he had brighter than the skies blue eyes. The little girl inside me really wanted to give him a cuddle. My distractions were brought back to attention as the scream of the Astalos ripped through the clouds and I saw the head of the beast, hovering in his protective barrier of the storm. It appeared that he was contemplating us as a target.

 

I heard a horn from far off, and breathed a sigh of both relief, and dismay. I knew I wasn’t ready to face off against the beast, but having to be saved by the elite hunters was simply degrading in my opinion. Their airship rose and took off towards where the beast hovered, and I returned to watching the docks of Moga come into view. The sounds of the dragon’s shrieks made me desperately want to be hunting, but for now, I needed to get settled, meet the chief, and figure out what my next move would be. I was a fresh hunter, I wanted to make a name for myself, and I wanted to one day make it into the Elite Hunter’s group. We landed with a slight splash as the wood of the airship’s hull landed in the water. The fire was extinguished so that the balloon would slowly collapse onto the metal base that held it until the next flight. The crew busied itself with the docking procedures and I made my way to the edge of the ship. Judging the distance between where I was and the dock, I put my hand on the railing and leaped over the edge, landing with a thud as I hit the deck. My armor clunked as I walked towards the main gate where my journey, would finally begin.

 

The hustle and bustle of the village made me smile. The stench of drying fish, however.. made me want to cry. The first thing I saw was a rather large, angry woman, with a fish waiving madly in her hand, yelling at three nearly identical, rather burly looking men who seemed to cower at her every word. I mentally noted that this must be a mother and sons relationship and thought it best to simply get as far from that scene as possible. I stopped at the center of the dusty village and took a slow spin around. There was a wyverian smithy with deep red skin, a fishmongers’ stall, an armory that sold what looked like mostly stone and metal weapons, perhaps bone by the sight of one of them. There were a few young kids playing with a poogie, adorable little things. The Guild counter and the Guild woman who stood, ever so bored looking , near a large gate that looked like it might have seen quite a bit of attacks. I grinned wildly at the thought of getting to really hone my skills here. A rather old man was heaped over and watching me as I looked around the village, I gave him a once over and noted the crest that hung about his neck. This would be the chief. I smiled as pleasantly as I possibly could and walked over to him. Showing my respect for the man with a bow, I flashed my best smile.

 

“Hello, My name is Kerunai and I was assigned to your village as the hunter you requested.” The old man scowled at me as he looked me up and down as if judging my very soul. He spat into a spittoon and grumbled under his breath.

 

“You ain’t nothin’ but a kid! Get that shiny armor of yours on that airship and why don’t you send us back a REAL hunter?!” He growled at me. My eyes twitched and the muscles in my hands clenched tightly. With a deep breath I calmed myself and gave a tight smile.

 

“Test me. I’ll prove my metal to you, and you’ll find out just what kind of Hunter I really am.” His lips curved up in what I assumed was a smirk, and I knew I was in trouble. He looked again at my armor and I could almost feel his mind turning.

 

“We’ve been having a problem with a group of Jaggi and Jaggia that keep taking down all the Aptonoth’s before we can get enough for our village to have some fresh meat. Kill the heard of Jaggi’s and send up a flare when you have downed at least three Aptonoth so that we can have a good meal of fresh meat. Simple enough, right?”

 

The gleam in his eyes told me that he was most definitely lying, or leaving something out of his ‘easy’ task. With a nod, I shook his hand and Went to see the Market woman to stock up on some supplies with my rather low funds. I grabbed some more potions, a couple extra whetstones, a few paint-balls, a folding bug net and a folding pickax that I put in the pouch at the small of my back. I straightened my armor and walked out the main gate into the Deserted Island’s territory. The birds filled the skies with their flapping, the grass smelled sweet, compared to my previous encounters, and I could hear waves crashing against the cliffs. I ran up the small hill that led to the village and smiled as I watched a small heard of Kelbi playing in the grass. Gathering a few herbs, and finding some other specialties I could take back, I made my way down the winding road that led to the caves where I figured the Jaggi would more than likely be. Before I arrived at the caves I saw a small heard of Aptonoth drinking from a fresh water stream. I snuck past so as not to scare them, and remembered to mark the spot on my map for later, when I culled the pack of carnivores.

 

I arrived at the caves and had a look around scouting for signs. The scattered droplets of blood I saw near the mouth of the caves was enough to tell me that the Jaggi were here. I felt something wet hit my cheek and swiped my hand to find out it was Kelbi blood. Looking up I saw the patch of blood and a blue horn sticking out of the rock about half way up. A great Jaggi was the only beast that would have been that cruel. In my mind the scene played out. The pack would be with it, and it would see the poor Kelbi male. It would have taken the little creature by the back and shaken it vigorously, the Kelbi’s head smashing against the rock, the horn snapping, and the Great Jaggi tossing it in the air and chomping it down before the pack could even try to steal some scraps. I shivered slightly, hoping I brought enough potions to face off against this creature. I entered the caves and lit a torch to light my way. I heard the buzzing of the Bhanabra bugs over head, and the damp dripping sound of stalactites. I glanced around the wide cavern and eyed the pool of fresh water near the decaying body of an Aptonoth. The kill was old, which probably meant the pack was out hunting again. However, just then the cavern shook with the pounding of footsteps that made my heart race. The loud, piercing scream came from my right side, on the far end of the cavern, and I had to cover my ears to stop my head from splitting from the sound. Glancing over my shoulder I saw the yellow eyes of the Great Jaggi that was leading a small pack of Jaggia and Jaggi.

© 2016 Kerunai


Author's Note

Kerunai
Cover art by Zauberlich@http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/ Please let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016
Tags: sword, swords, dual, blades, hunter, monster, generations, blood, dinosaurs, fantasy, adventure, action, fighting, fight, travel, story, writing, short, book, games, game, jaggi, fun, fan, fiction, words, girl, warrior, female

Author

Kerunai
Kerunai

About
I love to write, and I am learning to edit. So please, feel free to give crit! All cover art has been done by: http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/gallery/ He accepts all sorts of commissions so please c.. more..

Writing