Melanie

Melanie

A Story by Kq334

“Eva you suck,” Henry said, responding to her usual insults staring at his phone.

“No, that’s you,” she said, kicking him under the table. They sat in a coffee shop, waiting for the morning to pass.

“When do you have to be at work?” She asked nonchalantly and took another sip of her drink.

“Noon. Why? It’s not like you have a car.” Henry squinted at her and shook his head.

“God, just trying to be responsible.”

“Whatever, b***h.” Henry gave her his sarcastic face, a usual response to Eva.

“M’kay, well, I have to go now. I have class at 10.”

“Have fun. See you at home,” He smiled at her.


Eva boarded the city bus and sat near a window. She watched curiously as a mother hushed her child in a stroller a few seats ahead of her. Her eyes scanned the faces of the bus, taking in the emotions of the people around her. The brakes on the bus squealed to a stop. A girl with dark hair and striking pale blue eyes boarded. As she moved to the seat across from Eva, she took headphone out her bag and pushed her hair to the side to put them in her ears. Eva watched her meticulously. She watched how she tapped her foot softly to the beat of her music. She watched how her eyes gazed wondrously at the sights outside. She watched how her eyes caught hers for a brief but intense moment. The bus stopped, and they both exited, leaving the pool of anonymity on the bus for the vast ocean of a college campus.


The spring sun warmed Eva’s legs as she sat against a tree, studying for her next class. Her eyes wandered up from the textbook and spotted the girl from the bus reading a close distance away. Eva cautiously stared from afar, hoping something would bring them close enough for a conversation. Her phone buzzed, an alarm for her next class. She was taken away again.


Henry closed his computer as Eva walked through the door. She saw him, raised her eyebrows, and received an awkward smile in response.

“Gross,” she mumbled at him and tossed her bag on the couch. “Did you make me any food?”

“Hell no, who do you think I am?”

“I don’t even know why I ask anymore,” she smiled at him.

“Because maybe, one day, when hell freezes over, you’ll see me doing something nice for you. And I ate at work.” He said, thumbing through mail.

“There’s a party tonight at the music hall,” Eva opened up conversation.

“And?”

“I thought you might want to go,” she said, “get out and do something.” Henry laughed at the thought of going to a public event then ripped open some bills.

“Why don’t you go? Get some for once,” He chuckled.

“Hey, I get some!” Eva threw her sweatshirt at him, but he caught it and laughed even more.

“So rude,” Eva opened the refrigerator.

“You need to go out, I’m getting sick of you.”

“You’re always sick of me, Henry,” she said, tossing him sandwich fixings.

“Good point. But seriously,” He stopped to look at her, “go.”

“Fine,” she exhaled sharply.


A few hours and episodes of Netflix later, Eva strutted out into the living room in a tight black dress. Henry glanced up at her, then returned to his show.

“Does this make my butt look good?” She turned around to show him.

“What butt?” He kept his gaze fixed on the screen, but the corner of his mouth raised slightly.  

“You’re an a*s.” Eva grinned at him.

“At least I have one.” Henry grinned back.

“‘Kay bye,” Eva closed the door behind her.


Music surrounded Eva as she walked into the basement of the music hall. People were lightly packed in the low-ceiling space. Some were dancing in a dedicated area and others were at the bar, but most were scattered around, socializing casually. Eva sat on the far end of the bar and scanned the room for possible conversations.

“Hey,” she heard a voice from behind her. She turned around to a girl with long blonde hair and a stunning complexion. “Can I buy you a drink?” she said flirtatiously. Eva’s jaw dropped a little bit. “Yes.” She smiled to cover up her awe.


Eva fumbled with her keys, the single drink she had was getting to her, and the blonde girl was kissing her neck. Finally, she managed to open the door and led the girl by the hand to her bedroom. They giggled and Eva drunkenly shushed the both of them, continuing to giggle. She closed the bedroom door behind them and pressed her up against a wall. The girl kissed Eva to the bed. Eva shut out the lights.


Henry was standing over the sink drinking his black coffee when Eva sauntered into the kitchen.

“Fun time last night?” he asked sarcastically. She groaned and poured herself a cup.

“Did I wake you up?” she asked him between sips.

“Oh, you mean stumbling in drunk at 1:00 am and continuing until around, hm, 2:40?” he raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips.

“Ugh, I’m sorry,” she rubbed her eyes, “I...I don’t know what happened.”

Henry held her shoulders and spoke softly, “Some people just can’t do sleepovers,” he half-smiled at her, “you just need a real girlfriend.” Eva chuckled.


The sun shone the brightest it had all week. Eva took each step along the brick paths on campus with confidence. She looked around excitedly at nothing in particular and found her usual tree to relax under. She noticed the girl from the bus as she leaned against the tree. It only took her a moment of thought before she was walking slowly to where the girl was reading on a colorful blanket.

“Hey, I think you’re cute. How’s it going?” Eva looked her in the eyes, eagerly waiting for a response.

She watched as the girl’s eyes widened and the ends of her mouth turn up into a smile.

“Oh, hello,” the girl started, “I’m Melanie.” she held out her hand. Eva returned the gesture.

“Eva. May I sit?” Eva watched as her eyes squinted a smile and sparkled in the sunlight.

“Please.” She moved over on her blanket and patted a spot. Eva smiled so big, she wondered how many teeth she was showing.

“Do you study here?” she asked, still smiling.

“Yeah, social psychology, how about you?”

“Literature,” She said excitedly, “mostly classic literature, as well as modern structure and story. It’s very interesting.”

Eva watched as Melanie’s whole face showed the emotion she felt and her eyes lit up when she spoke. Eva leaned on her hand and gazed at her as her lips moved. Then they stopped, and Eva was supposed to talk. She took the hint just quick enough to come back to her senses and respond to Melanie’s question adequately to make her speak again. She was entranced, only to be interrupted by her phone’s alarm.

“I’m so sorry,” Eva stumbled to turn it off, “that’s my alarm for my next class. I have to go.” Melanie’s face flushed with understanding, “Oh, it’s okay.”

“Can I get your number?” Eva asked with a grin.


© 2016 Kq334


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on January 1, 2016
Last Updated on January 1, 2016

Author

Kq334
Kq334

Everett, WA



About
Writing for fun and feedback, please comment. more..

Writing
Happy Happy

A Poem by Kq334


Shorts Shorts

A Story by Kq334