Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by John Sharp
"

A brief intro to this crazy world

"

Prologue

On deck of the skyship Oneshot

Absolute darkness enclosed the skyship Oneshot as Captain Towerin strode about the deck uneasy, his footsteps echoing loudly on the wooden planks.  All around the nothingness mocked him with a situation that a day ago, he would have declared impossible.  They were stuck in the void as if it had real substance, not unlike a spec in a jar of ink.  Now, there was no where they could go, and not even the light of a single star to guide them, for between Miteria and Heaven there was nothing.  Leaving the helm unattended Towerin left the raised deck walking down to the center of the ship.  Over and over the impossibility of the situation forced its way into his mind asking… no demanding, an answer to which he had no reply.  How can this be happening?

In his thirty years of captaining his ship he’d never seen anything like it, and he seen a lot. Nearly as old as his ship, he had a short crop gray beard that perfectly matched his gnarled hair sticking out beneath his cap.  The beginning stages of a round belly strained against his gray frock coat, as if threatening to spill out on the deck.  Various scars ranging from his hands to his face, was a mismatched patchwork of poor stitching from a lifetime of fighting pirates to the regular hazards of sailing the seas.  His ship too bore the marks of a hard existence, and most days Towerin felt like he was one with the ship.  His scars represented the aging hull and its numerous gouges marring the wood.  His steadily worsening arthritis, the creaking of the sail’s rigging as it strained to do its job.  Lastly, the inexhaustible beating of his own heart was the marvelous engine allowing his ship to fly.  Yes, he was one with his ship.  That made this failure to his crew… personal.

“Any idea what’s going on?”  First mate Darwin said in a soft voice striding up next to him.  He was a good lad.  Young to reach such a position, but he earned it many times over with his loyalty and quick wits.  Tall and lean, he had the smooth flawless features typical for one of his kind, framed by silvery hair that shone from the torch light around them.  Turning to face him, Towerin was always amazed by his deep sea green eyes that stood out in stark contrast to his golden skin and flowing white robes.  He could almost pass for human if it wasn’t for his residual wings.  Feathery white, they were too small to grant true flight but were magnificent none the less.  To be expected, since his father was an angel.

“No.  Did the engine break down?”  Captain Towerin said knowing full well they ship would be dead if that was the case.  Still the need to ask was there, the desire to do something, even if it was pointless.  Looking up Towerin saw the celestial sails spreading out like wings on a moth from the central pole shaft.  They had an unearthly soft blue glow, pulsing with energy powering the ship in the void between Heaven and Hell.  Again, the glowing sail indicated all was well, even though it plainly wasn’t.

“I checked like you asked.  It’s running fine,” Darwin said looking just as perplexed as Captain Towerin felt.

“I don’t understand.  I’ve never heard of anyone getting stuck before,” Towerin said shaking his head as if the whole situation could be remedy like an errant lock of hair.  Suddenly the entire ship rocked, sending all those on deck stumbling.  One unfortunate soul was looking over the railing and the lurch sent him over the edge.  Towerin could hear his screams as he plummeted into the abyss.

“What the damnation!” A man shouted.  Running to the edge of the ship, Captain Towerin gripped the railing in horror as dark shapes swarmed the hull.  Nearly invisible in the surrounding void, Towerin could just make them out as they skittered about. 

“TO ARMS!”  Darwin cried having joined Towerin at the side of the ship.  Leaping backwards he pulled Towerin out of the way as the first creatures boarded the deck.  A twisted combination of beetle and man, it was black like the surrounding void with a shiny exoskeleton that creaked revealing moist red joints as it moved.  Its four long arm-like appendages reach the wooden deck, its stout claws leaving long scratches in the plank.  Its carapace was mottled and thick as armor, with a distinctive split down the back for insect like wings that Towerin clearly see as it moved around uncertainly on two stubby legs ending in wide spade like feet.  The worst part was its face.  Eyeless, it had two small gnawing mouths were a normal creature’s eyes would be.  It had no lips but just sharp teeth that moved in disturbing ways as the muscle contracted.  Two long segmented antennas, at least a meter long, stuck out of the top of its head dancing around like a dousing rod, dance back and forth.  An immense set of pincers dominated its head with small human like fingers nestled between them leading to a third larger mouth.

Towerin felt his legs go watery, but he was the Captain damn it, he had a duty to his ship and crew.  Pulling his Heaven forged revolver from under his long overcoat, he took careful aim.  A single shot pistol, it made Towerin feel in control again, as he squeezed the trigger.  There was a flash of blue, as the blessed round left the barrel slamming into the creature.  It had time for a high pitch wail of pain before it was briefly engulfed in bright blue flames. It fell lifeless to the deck, reduced to a smoldering cinder like an exhausted log in a campfire.  His elation lasted only a moment before the rest arrived.

Swarming over the side of the ship like locus in a crop field, they were suddenly everywhere, tearing crew members’ apart stuffing bits into all three of their mouths.  Snarling Towerin drew his sword from its protective scabbard.  Forged of Orichalcum and stardust, the blade shone with blue angelic magic from all the heavenrunes imprinted on the blade.  With a roar Towerin charged into battle, Darwin just behind him his rapier in hand.  A battle haze took over Towerin as he hacked and slashed the damn bugs that would dare to threaten his ship, moving with the sureness from a lifetime of fighting.  Greenish ichor flew about like raindrops, as the bugs fell one by one before him.  Steadily his sword glow grew fainter, as its reserve of power was spent with each blow.  He would have to ask Darwin to recharge it later, or pay the exorbitant fee to have another do it.   

Slashing through two arms of the nearest bug with little resistance, Towerin spun deftly around for the killing blow, only to have his blade ricochet off the creature’s carapace.  Gasping in shock, Towerin looked down only now realizing his blade was dark, the holy power of the heavenrunes empty.  With a viscous backhand, the bug cracked Towerin across the face sending blood arcing through the air and him sprawling to the deck.  Stars appeared before his eyes and pain burned in his face as the creature loomed over top, its mandibles wide.  A flash of red and the bug stumbled backwards howling in pain right before it was engulfed in intense hellfire flames.  A moment later it exploded into a shower of bits and pieces. 

Getting to his knees Towerin spat blood onto a sizzling piece of the bug that landed nearby, looking around at the rest of his crew as they poured on deck armed to the teeth.  Nearest was his Security Chief, Ervin.  Tall and strong, he had a long lock of blonde hair tied in braids behind his back and a chisel face of a man who knew how to fight dirty.  Wearing a bright white overcoat with large dark buttons done up all the way down to his knee high black laced boots; he flashed Towerin a cocky smile.  Carrying enough weaponry for two men he had a sheathed saber on his back and a pistol in each hand.  Crisscrossing over his chest were two bandoliers of bullets, each round as big as a shot glass.  In one set, the bullet tip were glowing a brilliant blue, and in the other it burned a dark crimson.  The pistols were polar opposites one forged in Heaven the other in Hell.  Towerin had scoffed at him for using weapons from both above and below.  Told him to keep it simple and choose one or the other.  But his son never did listen to him.

Firing the left gun Towerin saw a flash of blue and an accompanying shriek as a bug fell victim to blue flames.  With a practice twirl, he spun both pistols in unison ejecting the empty rounds and neatly tucking them under his arms.  Quickly loading each with its corresponding ammo his eyes roamed the fight, taking in everything with gunfighter ease.  Another twirl and he was taking aim at the next bug which almost eviscerated Darwin as he fought off three of its brethren. 

To his right Towerin saw his recently purchased security golem heading toward him casually crushing any of the creatures that got in his way.  He only bought it last week at Darwin’s insistence.  With the increased pirate raids, it could make all the difference, he had argued.  At first Towerin scowled saying that he could fight off some filthy pirates with his own crew.  It wasn’t until Darwin pointed out it was on sale, thanks to the owner moving to Hell, that Towerin reluctantly agreed.  Now he was certainly glad he had.  Towering over everything the ten foot golem comprised of Orichalcum and refined Talerite strode through the battle ignoring the claws scrapping its reddish black stony shell.  Hands larger than Towerin’s head lashed out with impressive speed crushing the carapace of any bug foolish enough to get too close.  Reaching Towerin, it extended a hand covered in greenish ichor.  Ignoring the offered hand, Towerin got to his feet surveying the fight.  The battle was still raging as an endless supply of bugs crawled onto the deck from all sides.

“Master, the situation is perilous.  I recommend you go below deck for your own safety,” the golem said in a flat, dead voice.  It could be reporting on the weather.

“Forget it you pile of gizzard stones.  Get out there and protect my ship and crew!”  Captain Towerin barked at the golem almost twice his height.

“Yes master,” the golem said turning and charged into battle, shattering carapaces with every blow.

“Hey boss, take this,” Ervin said reaching Towerin’s side and tossing him his sword before reloading his pistols again.  Snatching the blade from mid-air, Towerin was dismayed to see half of Ervin’s rounds already gone.  Were things that bad?  Towerin wondered.

“Told you to call me father,” Towerin said.

“Sure thing boss,” Ervin said giving him a rebellious smile.  The boy would make a fine captain one day if he didn’t get himself killed.  Ignoring his son, Towerin dashed back into the fray hacking and slashing as he went.

After what seemed like several days, Towerin sat down on the deck next to Ervin and Darwin, utterly exhausted watching as the security golem crushed the last bug.

“Told you…” Darwin said gasping his wings hanging limp.  “…it was a good idea to buy that golem.”  Too tired to respond Towerin simply nodded as the golem planted its foot into the thorax of the final bug.  A loud crunch along with a splattering of green and it was over.               

“What I want to know is where, did all the pissed roaches come from?”  Ervin said panting, both his bandoliers empty. 

“It doesn’t matter,” Towerin said struggling to his feet.  With many dead they were on a skeleton crew now.  “We have to get out of here before…”  He never got to finish, as a massive dark shape rose before the ship’s bow.  It could not be seen; it was so black that it perfectly matched the void, but it could be felt.  An evil so overwhelming that everyone still standing collapsed to their knees shivering in pure terror.  Even the golem, which had no emotions, trembled before this awesome presence.  Before Towerin could offer a pray to any who would listen, a pure white eye half the size of his ship opened right ahead of them.  It could see into their very depths of their being, it could see everything.

“My god…” Darwin said.  Towerin thought that summed it up nicely.



© 2014 John Sharp


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014


Author

John Sharp
John Sharp

kalamazoo, MI



About
I'm a chemist a pfizer. I'm working on writing two fiction books at the same time working on which ever interests me the most on a given day. I want to post some of my early work here, and see how i.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by John Sharp