Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by John Sharp
"

Events in the port city of Ingleport before everything goes to hell.

"

Chapter 1

Port city of Ingleport

1

He was closing in on her.  Desperate, Lilith Torrawind put on a final burst of speed, all that her depleted stamina would allow.  She had been through too much today to go any faster.  Zigzagging around obstructions, she hoped to trip her pursuer as her long mane of snow white hair flowed out behind her like a wintery veil.  A glance behind told her that instead of leaving him behind he was catching up, his crimson skin sweaty from the exertion.   He was fearsome, with two jutting incisors protruding from his lips curving outward nearly reaching the level of his nose.  His eyes had deep red irises not uncommon for the hellborne that seemed to mock her as they briefly met her own.  Returning her gaze forward, Lilith’s deep yellow eye’s widened as her foot snagged on a child’s rocking toy of all things.  Going down, she broke her fall rolling onto her back just as the figured leapt on her.  Squeezing her eyes shut, she braced herself for what was to come.

“TAG, YOUR IT!”  The hellborne said before laughing and taking off at a run.  Lilith sighed.  She hated being it.  Getting to her feet Lilith surveyed her surroundings.  Not much had changed since her time here.  The Hellway orphanage was still dingy by anyone’s standards, with aging toys and playground equipment rusting over from a decade of neglect.  The turf was dry and devoid of any growth extending the entire area as gentle puffs of dust rose at each step as the children made ready to run.  Lilith knew full well what this placed lacked, fortunately love and care wasn’t it.

“All right you guys win,” Lilith said brushing off her baggy gray jumpsuit. 

Various cries of disappointment came from all around, as the children left their designated ‘safe spots’ surrounding her.  They were a rag tagged bunch, all with various signs of their demonic parentage.  Timmy, the boy who just tagged her, was the tallest of the group just a hair shy of her own six foot height.  He showed the most signs of his origins with his deep crimson skin, red eyes, and two long horns sticking out of a tuff of black hair on his head.  Not to mention his long incisors and prodigious size, despite being only ten.  He could almost be taken for a pure demon, if he wasn’t lacking the signature tail.  One of his parents was likely a greater demon, but no one would ever know, he was abandoned here just like she was all those years ago.  Lilith on the other hand had virtually none of the characteristics of the hellborne.  Slender and pale, she had long silky white hair and yellowish eyes, not unlike a brilliant daffodil.  At first they had thought she was a mistake, leaving a child at an orphanage meant for half demons but her two tiny black horns just visible past her hair was all the confirmation anyone needed.  She also had the strength and speed of the demonic, more so than anyone she ever met, with nearly an inexhaustible supply of stamina.  Except apparently when it comes to running around all morning playing with children.   The endless energy of youth was universal, no matter whom your parents are.

“One more time!”  A small child cried hugging her leg.  She had light red skin and two good size horns sticking out of long auburn hair.  Patting her head right between the horns Lilith smiled down at her.

“Not today little one,” Lilith said.  “I have lots of work today at the docks.”  With cries of farewell she left them behind to play.  Going inside to talk with the matron, she entered a worn red brick building that effectively silenced the noise of the children at play.  Walking through rooms that could use a thorough cleaning, she exited on to the main hall where an old hellborne sat in a rocker.  Over a hundred years old, the half demon had the look of a middle aged woman minus her hell given attributes.  Homely, she had on a patched blue dress that went well with her pink skin, but clashed with her dark red eyes.  Like all hellborne she had two horns just three inches long on either side of her skull, the shortest Lilith had ever seen except her own.  Giving a friendly wave, the woman beckoned her over.               

“Have fun with the little ones?”  The woman said embracing Lilith in a hug so tight it could crush a human’s ribs.  Lilith simply returned the strong embrace with one of her own.  Releasing each other, they made a slow walk toward the front doors.

“Hardly,” Lilith scoffed.  “The little hell spawns ran me to exhaustion.”

Chuckling the woman nodded.  “They do that,” then added thoughtfully.  “All children do, not just those with a parent from Hell.”

“True enough,” Lilith said also chuckling.  Reaching into one of her many pockets she withdrew several silver coins shoving them into the woman’s hand.

“Oh no, Lilith I can’t…” She began.

“Yes, you can Marith,” Lilith said sternly.  “You raised me and all these precious ones with a budget barely enough to feed and clothe them.  It’s the least I can do.  Besides I’m working a double shift the next few days with the festival of peace starting soon.  Skyships will be arriving from both Heaven and Hell, we’ll be swamped.”

“You’re still working the docks then?”  Marith said surprised, reluctantly taking the coins.  “Then your magic hasn’t blossomed?”

“No,” Lilith said sadly.  “I don’t think it ever will.”

Marith nodded sadly.  “That seems to be the case.  What a shame.  Though it isn’t surprising, since your father was probably a half demon.”

“We don’t know that for sure,” Lilith said.  “Most hellborne are infertile.  I never heard of one able to bare children from either sex.”

“Yes, it would be rare,” Marith agreed.  “But with your faint hellish characteristics it’s the best explanation.  I still remember the day your mother showed up; ready to burst at the seams.  Never had I seen a woman undergo such a trial.  She was nearly incoherent during the entire labor only managing to name you before she died.”   

Feeling uncomfortable, Lilith changed the subject.  “Any of the young children showing signs of blossoming magic yet?”  All pure demons have demonic magic from birth, with the hellborne developing the talent during adolescent.  Only a miniscule number of the hellborne had no magic.  Everyone agrees if no magical talent shows itself by the time a child turns twenty, then it never will.  Having just turned twenty, Lilith was hoping to be a late bloomer, but now she had to face facts, she was a null.

“A few,” Marith said.  “Vanir is working with them in the craft shop if you want to swing by.”

Lilith paused a second thinking.  “Sure, I have some time before my shift starts.”  Detouring away from the front doors they walked down a brittle looking hallway with floorboards discolored from age, creaking with each step they took.  Turning left, they entered a large classroom where a dozen older children were working with Orichalcum infused with the Hell based metal, Talerite.  Small pieces of the alloy were arranged on a long bench, each with a single hellrune carved on its surface.  Holding the small metal pieces in their hands, the children closed their eyes, concentrating.  A moment later, the hellrune began to glow a faint red as it absorbed their magic.  Stepping forward Lilith went to the far end of the bench picking up a piece of Orichalcum that had so much Talerite in it that it was almost black.  The more Talerite in the alloy the easier it was to magically charge it, but also the weaker the power held within.  Most agree that one in four of Talerite to Orichalcum was the best combination.   Less Talerite and fewer Demon or Hellborne could even charge it magically, but it would have vast stores of power.  Lilith had heard of a demon who could charge items as low as one in seven.  The fee he was charging for such services was astounding.  More than Lilith made in a year. 

Looking at the metal Lilith closed her eyes willing the hellrune carved on its surface to illuminate; the simplest of magic in the easiest of materials.  Nothing happened.  Sighing she sat it back down on the bench.  Quickly a small hand shot out scooping up the metal and a second later the hellrune was glowing fiercely.  Lilith smiled down at the small hellborne girl who powered the metal showing none of the disappointment she felt inside.  If only she could have strong magical talent, then she could help the orphanage so much more.  Stepping away from the bench she walked out with Marith heading to the front door once more. 

“Any from the demon’s mage guild come by yet?”  Lilith asked.  They sought only the most talented of magic users to join their elite ranks.  Strong magic users demanded a high price, spending most of their time charging weapons and armor.

“Yes, they were looking at Timmy,” Marith said.

“Timmy!”  Lilith exclaimed.

“He didn’t tell you?”  Marith said.  “He was able to charge a one in five yesterday.  Tired him out a lot, but he managed it.”

“A one in five…” Lilith said amazed.  What she wouldn’t do to have talent like that.

“I guess he didn’t want to upset you,” Marith said.

“Yeah,” Lilith said defeated.  “I guess I’ll just have to get used to being a null.”

“You could try working security for a skyship,” Marith offered.

“I might have too, I don’t want to work the docks forever,” Lilith said stopping by the front door.

“Whatever you do child, you always have a home here,” Marith said briefly embracing Lilith again.  “Just try to come by more often.”  She added releasing her.

“I will,” Lilith promised, exiting her childhood home.

2

It was a warm summer afternoon and a gust fresh of salty sea air drove the last lingering concerns about her lack of magical ability from Lilith’s mind, as she stepped down the crudely crafted steps of Hellway orphanage.  Swinging around to the side of the building, she waved goodbye to the children.  They were now running from Timmy, who somehow was it again, as he chased them about the confined yard.  They all stopped their game waving back, shouting for her to come back and play with them soon.  Promising she would, Lilith went off to work.

The busy streets of Ingleport were a familiar and comforting sight.  Walking down cobbled streets Lilith stood out of the way of horse drawn carriages and the occasional golem driven carriages the wealthier merchants employed.  Some argued that golems soon would have all the jobs, but Lilith doubted that very much.  While strong and utterly obedient, they couldn’t deal with complex situations.  Golems only lasted only two to three years before their power supply were exhausted.  Less if the golem worked constantly.  The cost to restore a golem was astronomical.  Most employers did have one or two to do heavy work, but they were inactive most of the time.  The only area that used them was often was mercenary forces, which would rent them out for exorbitant fees.  They were a status symbol, nothing more.

Soon the familiar dock side came into view as she crested a large hill.  Buildings constructed with crude but serviceable red bricks lined the water front, for all the various businesses that operated on the wharf.  Past the buildings was a great view of the ocean and the ships at dock, their sails fluttering in the wind.  There were over a dozen vessels currently stationed there with tiny figures disembarking or loading up various goods.  With Ingleport being one of the major trading posts between Heaven and Hell, the docks always had a few ships in.  Now with the festival of peace a short time away, it would swell to the hundreds.  Michael, the dock master, would want her working double shifts thanks to all the increased business.  He affectionately called her my cheap little golem and would want her there until the mess was over.  Preparing herself for a long few days, Lilith started down the hill.

3

“Come on ye lads!  Put y’er backs into it!”  Michael hoarse voice lashed out like a whip at the five strong men trying to lift an immense crate out of the ship’s cargo hold.  Straining and red faced, the men all looked like they were struggling with a week-long constipation issue.  Feeling sorry for them, Lilith dashed over grabbing a free corner, lifting the entire crate over her head as the exhausted men collapsed gratefully.  Starting up the cargo hold steps she heard Michael’s bemused berating of the men.

“Lads what’s wrong with ye?  Lettin’ a sweet lass like Lilith do all the hard work.”

“She as strong as a golem boss,” one man complained slumping in exhaustion onto the cargo hold floor.  His jumpsuit was plastered to him with sweat as he panted heavily.  Reaching the ship deck, Lilith turned showing no strain from her heavy burden.

“You boys just need some quality protein in your diet,” Lilith said mockingly.

“I got some protein for ye,” one of the men said gripping his trousers in the middle.

“I said QUALITY,” Lilith said emphasizing the last word.  “What you got down there wouldn’t nourish a rat.”  Laughter at the man’s expense rang out as they wearily got to their feet.

“Thanks lass I thought they might all get d’emselves hernias and want time off,” Michael said in a low voice as she passed by.  He was a tough old sea dog with a limp and permanent body odor of the sea. Gray beard and growing round in the middle, he had a friendly face that grew very red when he drank, which was often.  

“No problem boss,” Lilith said as she descended the plank.  Everyone got out of her way as she made her way to the horse drawn cart setting the crate down gently next to the others.  The cart creaked and for a moment she thought it would collapse under the additional weight.  The horse attached to the cart gave her a mournful look as the driver above cracked the whip as they started off.  Turning back to the ship she saw the last of its cargo leave the hold.  Another down, that was ten already this morning. 

“Lilith, go help out on twelve!”  Michael shouted above all the noise.  “Watch out, they’re be from below!” 

Below?  Lilith wondered.  Nearing the ship the meaning became clear.  A skyship from Hell.  Skyships didn’t only fly to heaven they also could transverse the path to Hell.  Powered by huge heaven made diatomaceous crystals, the marvelous ships could take the path to either above or below.  The journey was perilous with pirates roaming near the gateways and then there was the paths themselves.  One wrong turn and you could drift forever in the void between the worlds or until engines gave out and the crew suffocated.

Making her way through the crowd, Lilith stopped a moment marveling at the skyship.  This one wasn’t made on this world; it was clearly a Hell ship.  Dark red, it had long chains hanging in various positions on the bow and along the sails posts that clattered ominously in the wind.  Aboard, hellfire braziers burned with a black red intensity that drew your gaze in if you looked too closely.  Those wandering aboard did their best to ignore the skulls and human bones decorating the banisters.  Lilith snorted.  Most of it was for show, the peace between the worlds ending most plights there.  Boarding the ship she heard two of her fellow dock workers conversing as they selected various crates from the ship’s hold. 

“After the festival I think I’ll spend a week in Hell,” one man said hefting a decent size crate.

“Why not Heaven?”  The other man asked choosing a much smaller crate.  Walking together they passed Lilith as she began searching for the biggest and heaviest cargo.

“Oh sure Heaven has a great view and the food is divine, but Hell has strippers and better ale,” the first man countered heading out of earshot.  Lilith was looking over an extremely large crate deciding where best to lift, when a deep raspy voice sounded from above her.

“Oh little flower, you don’t want that one,” the voice said.  “Choose something more fitting to your delicate feminine body.”

Craning her head up Lilith saw the source of the voice.  It was a demon.  This was not some hellborne, but the pure thing.  A bright angry red all over it had long curled ram’s horns sticking out of a hairless scalp that looked like it could burst into flame if the wind was right.  Wearing a tight fitting black armor that ended at the knees and elbows, the demon had biceps bigger than Lilith’s head that he was clearing flexing for her benefit.  Leering down at her with bright red eyes and large incisors growing up to its check bones, the demon looked her up and down in a way she was all too familiar with.  A fork tongue darted out in her direction appearing to taste the air around her.  From the way it’s tail swished behind it, a single tuff of black hair on a thick red cord, it liked what is smelled.

“I had to bring it down there myself.  A crate of Orichalcum, far too heavy for a little thing like you,” the demon said.  “Go fetch one of your golems, then you can sit on my lap and tell me your name.  I’ll start so you don’t feel intimated.   I’m Darthnos captain of this ship, Hellseige.”  Not acknowledging the demon, Lilith lifted the crate over her head giving a satisfied smirk at the demon’s look of shock as she started up the stairs.

“Golems?”  She snorted.  “I don’t need no golems to do my heavy lifting.”  Turning her back on the demon she headed down the ramp where another group of horse drawn carriages awaited. 

4

It was a long day, a vast majority of the time spent on the rather large Hell ship that had lots of raw materials to unload, most of it too heavy for anyone else.  Fighting off the urge to deck the demon in the balls, he had not stopped pestering her all day; she was lifting the final crate when she heard him give an angry hiss.  Surprised she looked up to see the demon glaring intently at a set of sails she could see from the hold.  Her stomach dropped and a feeling of doom settled over her.  The sails visible from the cargo depression she was in were a beautiful blue with ornate gold trim.  They rippled in breeze like a field of wheat in a strong wind.  A ship from Heaven.  Some idiot up there directed a Heaven ship to dock next to a Hell ship.  What was wrong with them!  Great pains were always take to keep the factions far apart as possible.  Now here they were side by side.  Setting the crate back down, Lilith rushed up hoping it was not too late.  

Running to the ship’s bow she made a sound like an angry cat.  The angels must have flown ahead of their ship, for they were already standing toe to toe with the demons, neither side backing down.  From their angry posturing a brawl looked inevitable.  The demons wouldn’t care one bit about the fact they were outnumbered four to seven.  Towering over their small counterparts, the demon’s tails swished angrily as they tried in vain to stare down the smaller beings.  A hopeless venture, while not as physically imposing as the demons, the angels were no less intimidating with a palpable aura of power surrounding them like a haze.  They stood wing tip to wing tip like an immovable wall before an unstoppable force, and it would be the mortals of this world that would pay.  Around them a crowd was gathering all watching fascinated as the two opposing force since the beginning of time faced off, instead of doing the intelligent thing and running for the hills.

Leaping on the railing Lilith desperately signaled Michael waving her arms frantically, who glancing in her direction, rightly paled and began barking orders.  Performing a record breaking long jump, Lilith leapt from the ship landing near the two groups as angry words were exchanged.  Getting between them, Lilith got her first close look at an angel.  Being one of the hellborne she tried to avoid them as much as possible, despite over a century of relative peace.  They were shorter than the demons but wider of shoulder and looked just as strong as any from Hell.  They each had full size wings branching from their shoulders, with pristine white feathers possessing a faintly majestic radiance of unknown power.  Their hair was silvery bright, like it truly was the metal it so resembled.  Standing out in contrast to their hair they had deep gold colored skin and bright glowing green eyes.  Wearing white cloaks, Lilith could see their majestic armor peaking though, with sheathed angelic blades at their waists.  Most disturbingly, each one had a faint halo of golden light above their heads that one could see if you tilt your head just right.

“Stop it!”  Lilith yelled at no group in particular.  “All of you back to your ships.  I’m speaking on behalf of the port authority.”

“You presume to order us around human?”  One angel said, then looking closer at her sneered in contempt.  “You’re not even human just a filthy hellborne.  Daughter of human w***e and a pathetic demon take your orders and…” He never got a chance to finish.  Surprisingly, Darthnos the demon who been annoying her all day, rose up to his full height kicking the angel who just insulted her in the balls.  Howling in pain he clutched his privates dropping to his knees, proving whether angel, demon, or man, no one likes to get kicked in the family jewels.  

A corresponding cry of rage and a female angel who was breath taking in her beauty twirled slapping a wing at the nearest demon sending him flying through the air.  Bereft of wings he landed hard a short distance away.  People finally came to their senses scattering like mice.  Screams, shouts, and curses erupted as both sides, crashing into each other.  Distantly Lilith heard the distinctive clomping of heavy feet that meant golems.  She only hoped they would get here in time.    

Using their superior numbers the angels quickly pinned the demons down delivering blows powerful, as if they were trying to tenderize meat with their bare hands.  Feeling the situation spiraling out of control, Lilith saw the true danger as the angel who been kicked between the legs, got up, a knife held in one hand, the blade glowing ominously with bluish heavenrunes.  Darthnos was left facing him, unarmed but also unconcerned, beckoning the angel on.  Snarling the angel leapt forward slashing the air before him.  Lilith expected to see crimson staining the cobbled road, but moving with cat like reflexes, Darthnos caught the angel’s wrist in one hand, punching the knife wielding arm with the other.  Dropping the weapon the angel moved in close overpowering the larger demon and driving him to his knees, choking him.  Rushing forward, Lilith stopped before the struggling pair punching the angel, hard.

Lilith always knew she was strong.  As a child she was always careful not to hurt anyone, holding herself back even back then.  Among the hellborne she never found her equal.  At the docks she was always careful never to fully unleash her strength, afraid she might break something.  To her, the world was made of fragile glass.  She had had simply assumed that an angel or demon was like wise as strong. 

With an explosion of white feathers, like a blunderbuss shooting a pigeon, the angel flew backwards nearly a ship length, tumbling on the ground for several more cart lengths before coming to a rest.  Everyone froze; demon and angel alike, utterly shocked at the display of raw strength she just displayed.  Lilith looked at the angel, past all the feathers swaying to earth between them, as he lay there unmoving.

“Damn girl,” Darthnos said coughing getting to his knees.  “Just how strong are you?”

It was a very good question.  She could visualize how she would start her diary entry for this day.

“Dear Diary,

Today I bitched slapped an angel…”



© 2014 John Sharp


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014


Author

John Sharp
John Sharp

kalamazoo, MI



About
I'm a chemist a pfizer. I'm working on writing two fiction books at the same time working on which ever interests me the most on a given day. I want to post some of my early work here, and see how i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by John Sharp