Sometimes good things happen in the form of bad things

Sometimes good things happen in the form of bad things

A Chapter by Hakeem Gibbs

Jake:

Journal day three

This is the last of the journal entries for now. They are telling me that I can’t write anymore, so I guess this is goodbye for now. But don’t worry, I’ll write about my experiences later. If I’m still alive, that is.


I awoke to the sound of someone entering my prison cell. It was the woman from earlier. I had no idea what time it was. When all you can see is darkness, you begin to lose track of time.

“Are you ready to have a tour of the place?” she asked me.

“Well, my schedule is pretty full, but I think I can manage to fit you in.” It never hurts to have a sense of humor; especially when you have nothing else.

“Well, I'm glad to know you can spare some time. I'm so lucky you put time in your schedule for little old me.”

It seems that this lady also has a sense of humor. She pulled a knife from her pocket, which startled me for a moment. She chuckled and cut the rope bounding my hands. For a brief moment, I thought about trying to overpower her and running, but it would be futile. There were too many guards around and she had a knife in her hand. We walked down a hallway until we reached a door. She opened the door and stepped inside for a minute. When she returned, she had Paul with her.

“Hello Paul” I greeted him.

“Hello Jake. This is a really nice place.” He said sarcastically

We continued to another door and, you guessed it, Kelly came out. We walked until we reached a sign that said ‘Cafeteria left and Rec Room right.’

“Maybe this is just a boarding school or something.” Kelly said.

None of us believed that, but we all wanted to pretend that maybe this was some kind of misunderstanding.

As we continued walking, Paul said:

“I don’t think so.”

We had just seen another sign saying ‘Weapons testing’. What kind of boarding school has a room for weapons testing? We continued following the signs to the cafeteria and we sat down at a table.

“You can order whatever you like from the menu.”  The woman told us. “We have contacted your parents and told them that you have been enrolled into a private school. We will allow to you contact them every month, but we will monitor what you say. If you try to speak about being held here, we will have to speak with your parents ‘personally’. You have all been chosen to do something special with your lives. You may not realize it now, but you all have individual qualities that make you very special. Most people do not capitalize on these qualities. But in time, you will learn to use those qualities, and we will teach you. Does anyone have any questions?”

 We all remained silent for a second.

            “So we don’t have to file papers?” Paul asked.

The lady laughed and then she said:

“No you don’t your job is simply to be a student in our academy.”

Then Kelly said, “Why didn’t you just talk to our parents about bringing us here?”

“Well, first of all, we weren't sure that we wanted to invite you. But after your little incident with our warehouse we didn’t have a choice. And we couldn’t be certain that your parents would allow you to come. This is a secret academy, so we can’t spread the word about it. Most kids choose to join our different academies but only after they go through a minor recruitment process, but sometimes, in cases like yours, you are forced to be enrolled in it. However, you shouldn’t worry, soon you will begin to enjoy being at this academy.”

Somehow I doubted that we were going to like being here. We were uprooted from our families without any notice. I didn’t know about Paul and Kelly but I wasn’t too happy about being here. As soon as the opportunity presented itself I would be on my way out.

            “So you said something about us having classes?” I asked her.

 The woman replied: “Classes go from 9:30 until lunch. Lunch will be served around 1:30. Then, you will have classes until 5:30. The time from 5:30 to 8:00 is your studying time. You can do whatever you wish with this time, but it is recommended for you to use it doing your homework and studying for tests. Dinner will be provided at around 8 o'clock. The rest of the time is yours. We have provided rooms for each of you. There are TV’s and an Xbox 360 with most of the latest games. The Xbox is set to turn off at 11:30 with gives you thirty minutes to get ready for bed. At 11:45, most of the electricity is turned off. And at midnight, guards will check that you all are in your room. You will be sharing your room with other students, so remember to be kind and courteous. I have some business to take care of, so I’ll leave you with your lunch.”

“Wait we just finished our school year? Why does your academy start in the summer?” I asked her a bit confused

“First of all it’s not my academy. It starts in the summer because we wait for regular schools to finish.”

“But why would you…”

She walked off. Her answers left us even more confused then when we first arrive at the lunch table. 


Paul:

After a filling lunch of smoked salmon, mashed potatoes, and Caesar salad, the guard escorted us to our rooms.

Kelly’s room was first.

“When their guard is down, we have to try and escape.” She said to Jake and I in a low enough voice not to be heard by the guards.

We continued down the hall until we reached my room. It was a medium sized room with two bunk beds. There were already two people inside of the room. I said goodbye to Jake and I went inside my room. My other two roommates stared at me.

One of them said: “Hello, my name is Casey. What is your name?”

I told him that my name was Paul. He then went off to tell me that the other roommate’s name was Richard and that Richard was very shy and did not talk a lot. A fourth roommate named Laurence was in the bathroom. We spent the good part of an hour talking about ourselves. After about thirty minutes, Richard began to open up to me. I found out that Richard and Laurence were also taken here against their will. Casey said he was kicked out of one of the main academies. He also said that this was a spy academy, but to be honest, none of us believed him. After he left the room Richard and Laurence said that when Casey first got here he was really crazy. Now he was better but he still wasn’t completely sane. Richard and Laurence didn’t know much about why they were here except that there were adults in a dormitory upstairs. I asked them to describe the place we were in because, while the tour was being given, I didn’t get to see that much of it.

They said: “It is a large place. There are football fields and basketball courts, outdoor and indoor. There is an indoor swimming pool and a track field.”

It seemed almost like a regular high school until they said:

“There are weapon storages on the second and third floors.”

They went on to say that martial arts and how to move without being seen were taught in the classes that they have here. I began to think that this was a school for teaching people how to become spies. I guess they wouldn’t be able to recruit people in a normal way; they can’t go up to parents and ask “Can we enroll your child into a spy academy?”

I use to think that spy academies only existed in movies, but it seemed as if this was the real deal. If I didn’t follow that ice cream truck to the warehouse, I would have never been taken here. However, one question continued to repeat itself in my mind: is this place good or bad? The other ‘students’ seem fine, but how are the professors and the other staff? The unknown is a frightening thing. If I only knew what was going to happen, I wouldn’t be as scared as I am right now. As we prepared to go to dinner, I passed the other dormitory and saw Kelly come out of her dormitory…

Kelly:

Well, maybe this won’t be so bad. My two roommates are rather nice. Not the friendliest people in the world, but they are sufficient. After about thirty minutes of conversation and getting acquainted I asked my roommates what this place was. They told me that it is kind of like a spy academy, and that they have some strange classes, including how to defuse bombs and how to hotwire cars.

They started to tell me about all the different school teams. It sounded just like a regular high school; they had basketball and soccer teams for boys and girls, as well as a football team. There was also a team for capture the flag. That sounded kind of childish however, so I didn’t ask them about it.

We heard a bell and Jackie, one of my roommates, told me that we were going down to dinner in the cafeteria. The moment we stepped outside of the room, I saw Paul walking down the hall with a few other boys. I quickly sped up to match his pace.

“Hey Paul, how do you like it here? I asked him.

“It is not bad, but I don’t like how so much of it is shrouded in mystery.” He replied to me.

After talking to him for a while, it seemed that he had come to the same conclusion as me about the school: the school seemed kind of fun, but no doubt, it was weird. We sat down at one of the middle tables in the cafeteria. Our table was surrounded by many people, most of whom were asking us questions about whom we were and where we came from. Seeing as they were strangers, we didn’t want to tell them much; just that we lived in New Mexico. After we had finished our meals we sat back and chatted. A guard shouted in a bull horn that it was time to go back to our dorms. A few of the boys who were not quite done eating told him to shut up. The guard said something in his walkie-talkie, and in a few minutes, more guards came and took the boys away.

Before I could ask a question, we were ushered out of the lunch room, and back to our dorms. On the way back, I asked Paul if he had seen Jake anywhere, but he hadn't seen him. I began to get worried because this was a foreign place, and anything could have happened to him. If Jake disappeared, I would be devastated. Jake was the glue that held Paul and me together. As I lay in bed, right before lights out, I began to wonder how my life would be like if I had never met Jake. I would have been much quieter and my life would have been quite monotonous. It seemed that Jake was the combination of Paul and me, taking the good from both of us. He knew when to be cautious and when to be reckless. I'm being overly dramatic, I thought. So Jake missed dinner. Maybe he was busy doing something else. I'm probably going to see him in one of my classes tomorrow. But what if something bad did happen to him? With that thought off my mind, I closed my eyes and slowly drifted into a deep sleep…

Jake:

While I was on my way to dinner, a professor approached me and asked me if I wanted to join the capture the flag team. I tried not to laugh because capture the flag is a game I played as a little kid. The professor saw me stifling my laughter, so he explained to me that this kind of capture the flag is more in depth and is the number one sport of the school.

“You have to rely on your quickness, perception, and your ability to move silently, or you will get caught while going after the flag. I’ll make it simple for you” he said. “There are teams of 14 that consist of defenders and attackers. It’s very simple, except you cannot be within 15 yards of your own flag. This makes stopping the other team from getting your flag more challenging.”

“It sounds interesting” I said. “I will think about it”

I would actually think about it. The way he described it made it appeal to me much more than before. It sounded more fun than I thought.

After that talk, it was too late for dinner, so I just went back to my dorm room. My only roommate, Josh, was shocked to hear that I was invited to play for the capture the flag team.

“Only the best out of all of the students get asked to join the CF team. The rest of the students have to go through a rigorous tryout.” He said.

“CF team, what’s that?” I asked him.

“CF stands for capture the flag.” he told me.

I guess being asked to take part in the CF team was a bit prestigious.

In my psychology class the next day, I noticed that I was in the same class as Kelly. She waved to me as I entered, and I returned the wave. The professor had still not come into the classroom, so the students were noisy. We heard the door open, and the professor walked in. It was the same professor that asked me to join the CF team. His name was Dr. Edwards. He began the class by explaining to us all that if you can get penetrate into the thoughts of your opponent, then he/she is as good as beaten. He then went on to say what most of us had already surmised: that this school was in fact training people to become spies. There were a few gasps and a few exchanged glances in the room.

“Wow! When we see Paul, we have to thank him.” I told Kelly.

“Thank him? What for?” She asked me.

“If it were not for him convincing us to go after the ice cream truck, we would have never been brought to this place.”

“Jake, think for a minute about our parents and what they think.”

“Listen Kells” I told her. “There is no point in worrying about something we cannot fix. If they won’t let us tell our parents about what’s going on, that’s too bad. We can’t keep dwelling on it.”

After a fast, interesting, start, the class began to get boring, and it soon began to feel like regular school. Right when I was about to fall asleep, Dr. Edwards started to talk about hypnosis.

Ever since I was a little child, I was always fascinated with hypnosis. Dr. Edwards now had my full attention. He went on to talk about how in wars, some governments tried to use hypnosis to get spies to tell secrets. He taught us ways to escape hypnosis and ways to hypnotize people.

If you are interrogating a person who will not share a secret no matter what you do, it is best to go beyond his conscious into his subconscious. Upon finishing his statement, the bell rang.

Before we could get up, he gave us all a book on how to practice hypnosis, and we had to learn at least one way before the next class in two days. While people were leaving the class, I stayed behind. I approached Dr. Edwards’s desk and asked him if he had a moment. After he said yes, I explained to him that I wanted to try out for the CF team. He said that tryouts were in a month and that I would have to prepare a lot before I was ready to make the team. Even though I didn’t have to go to the preliminary tryouts I still have to be ready. I then proceeded to ask him if hypnosis played a part in CF.

“Jake, every class you take here prepares you for later on in life. But no hypnosis does not play a part in CF.” I must have looked disappointed so he said to me, “You will reach a point in time where you will think back to your time in this school and you will remember what you have learned. It will do you well to try and remember as much as possible.”

I then exited the room and made my way to the cafeteria…


Paul:

As I was walking to the cafeteria, I thought about all my classes. Most of them were interesting. I wish all schools were like this. The professors here are a little weird though. Anyways, I got to see the outside of the academy for the first time today. It was a set of brick buildings with rolling fields surrounding it. It would be difficult to escape, even if I could get past the barbed wires and the guard towers it was probably miles till the next city, I thought to myself. I really wish I had known that all of this would have happened as we went after the ice cream truck. It just goes to show that everything in life is chained together. In a few years, I am going to look back and think: what if I didn’t meet Jake and Kelly? What if I didn’t go after the ice cream truck? What if I didn’t go in the wrong warehouse? I'm starting to think that life is like a road. There are many ways you can go, many different paths. But only one path takes you where you really want to go.

As I walked into the cafeteria, I saw a bunch of familiar faces. At least I was making friends easily. I sat down on a chair across from Jake and some of his friends. He was busy talking to them and didn’t realize I was there. He stopped and looked up for a moment.

            “Hey Paul, are you enjoying this place yet?”

            “I wouldn’t say enjoying, but it’s getting better.”

Jake then introduced me to his friends and they continued talking about something called CF. I kind of felt left out. When we were at lunch in public school, me and Jake would always sit together and talk. Now I was the odd one out. But it would look bad if I left his table to go sit with my friends, so I remained.

            “I heard they get special privileges.” One of the boys was saying.

            “Really, like what?” Jake asked him.

Then the boy went on to talk about how the people on CF got to skip classes sometimes and got to stay up later than the curfew allowed. They also got to choose what classes they wanted to take. Whatever this CF thing is, I need to try and get into it, I thought to myself.

“Hey Josh, if CF has so many benefits, how come you guys don’t try out for it?” Jake asked the boy.

“Because,” Josh replied, “It requires a lot of running and thinking and the ability to sit still for long periods of time and it is hard to find people with all three of these qualities. I'm joking about the sitting still part but seriously it’s hard to make the CF team.”

Hmm. I have those qualities, I thought to myself. Maybe I should find out how to try out for CF. After lunch, I followed Jake out and asked him what CF was. He explained it stood for capture the flag, which left me skeptical.

There was no way that just playing capture the flag would get you out of taking classes you didn’t want and give you extra playing time. He went on to tell me that playing a team sport was a requirement and that each had its own advantages and disadvantages. Jake told me that the school favored people who were on the CF team. We were approaching his dorm room, so I asked him:

            “Are you going to ask to tryout?”

“I was invited to tryout, so I don’t have to worry about getting rejected.” He told me. He paused for a moment, and then said, “I think you should tryout for the team too. It would be more fun with you there Paul.”

I told him I would think about it and he went into his room. When I got back to my room, I asked my roommates if it was allowed to visit other people’s dorms. They said it was allowed as long as you were back before 10:30. So I decided to go visit Jake and ask him to put in a good word for me with Dr. Edwards, who was the coach for the CF team…



© 2012 Hakeem Gibbs


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on October 18, 2012
Last Updated on October 18, 2012


Author

Hakeem Gibbs
Hakeem Gibbs

Orlando, FL



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Hakeem Gibbs


Think Think

A Book by Hakeem Gibbs