Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Lauren Xena Campbell
"

(First draft)

"

 

Prologue
 
As mothers sit at the bedsides of the children they bore, softly voicing the words of fantasy to amuse and lay to slumber the babes they love so dearly; as lovers whisper contentedly in a gentle embrace, decidedly contracting their future adventures and property plans for the enhancement of future bliss; and as the moon gazes down in silver wonder, lighting the crystal waters of a drifting swans domain – a poets thoughts are cast silent. Wondering with a furry and frustrated hand, the rhymester waits, tapping at the naked page with an unusual aggravation.
            For weeks a black cloud had resided over the imagination, the voice that hummed lyrics that charmed the written language was as noiseless as stage fright, and the eagerness for triumph was yet never stronger. How was it possible that such a passion and yarning for words, the need for the feelings to cascade into a physical form on the face of a page was the only true thing to kill the process of creativity?
            “That’s not right!” Moaned the girl in a mournful tone, letting her forehead fall to the empty canvass before her. “You know the real reason…”
            But what if knowing the reason wasn’t enough? She thought, distraught. What if it had all been the spark, the ignition that caused the words to come? And now that everything had changed what then?
            An escapee tear raced down Mara’s scarlet cheek. A dull thudding in her breast coursed Mara to reach for the half empty glass of rosé that stood by the virgin sheets and the empty shell of a family size galaxy bar. She knew it was useless to try to kill the pain with small comforts, and they certainly wouldn’t lift the fog from her thoughts nor bring her peace, but it seemed right. After all why shouldn’t she indulge? She had lost almost everything. The two-week-old devastation had yet started to live, how could she expect it to wither so soon?
            It was hopeless.
Scrunching up yet another leaf barely scribbled on, Mara heaved herself up from her seat and withdrew for the night. Climbing under the icy sheets of the single bed in her sister’s guest room, Mara cast a longing sigh to the vacant bureau, the empty pages and the life she had left behind.


© 2008 Lauren Xena Campbell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, damn I like it! Very gloomy ending, which makes me happy. I like the opening, but the writing did get a bit chunky in there, I thought. I love the dawning of the reason, the whole description of the writers block, her head on paper, the leaf... oh, just so great. Excellent write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, damn I like it! Very gloomy ending, which makes me happy. I like the opening, but the writing did get a bit chunky in there, I thought. I love the dawning of the reason, the whole description of the writers block, her head on paper, the leaf... oh, just so great. Excellent write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sorry to take so long.

Great opening para, written with assurance and of course there is real and compelling tension at the end of it, underscored by the pictures of contnt that precede it. The character is interesting as she is striving and has suffered some set back. And the wine and chocolate at the end are human touches that most can relate to. I'd say that this shows great story telling skills as it sets things up credibly and stirs the curiosity. And you don't put a foot wrong with your word choice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It begins a way that I am now curious what is going to happen with her... I thought you are pretty skilled with time.. making it to crack with suspense. Glad to see you here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2008
Last Updated on December 20, 2008


Author

Lauren Xena Campbell
Lauren Xena Campbell

Somewhere on the edge of the imagination



About
Dreams are not made to be broken, but are created in the heart to write destiny! I've always loved making up stories and putting words down onto paper, despite the fact that I only really learnt to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..