A Meadow's Tale

A Meadow's Tale

A Story by LastMonth
"

Rivalries can turn into tragedies, but the way there is littered with happy moments. Does only the destination matter? Or perhaps the path that you take?

"

An elderly man has once said that no matter how painful and harsh life may turn, one mustn't give up hope. And elderly men often give advice worth heeding. For no crime can 

compare to the vengefulness of a broken heart.


''Do not do upon others what was done upon you.''


But even the worst of tales begin with a shade of happiness. For where a smile had once lived, a scowl will find much more hospitable.


Our world is littered with great moments. Many of which go unnoticed. One such moment came to pass in a large, evergreen forest. Dotted with thick pillars of green and brown, home it was to many abound.


Life, they say, is the most magical of gifts. And one young soul was about to be gifted, thrice. Her eyes were weary, damp with concern and fright. For so long she had to carry this gift with her, guarding it from any slight. She protected her gift with her ferocity and grit as much as she did with her loveand her wit.

Three tiny stars were born that evening. Many would howl to the skies, seeking the blessing of the moon with their fearsome scowls. The forest was not a quiet place by any means, yet on that day, such a ruckus was made that no deer, hare or fluttering bird dared intervene.

Three they were.

The first one?


He was a young boy. His body large and his jaws strong, his ears perky and his muzzle long. A good hunter he will make, or so the elder grandma promised.


The second one was a girl. As so often was the case, she had the most gorgeous gaze, blue eyed and dazed. Her coat was white, and her smile was bright. A fine mate to the Alpha male, the grandma would exhale.


The third of the litter was dubbed the youngest.

Small and fragile, with no hope of even being agile. His eyes lacked any sort of daze, and he quite often looked a little bit phased. Yet one must not underestimate a gift, for the sands of destiny so often shift.


Playful hours turned into long days, which in time formed into productive weeks. What 

was once inexperienced and raw had materialized into quite theawe. 


The first days were marvelous and addicting. The forest hummed with animals and many greetings. Every humming cricket and every unturned stone, every challenge was another skill to hone. Hunting was the firstborn's delight. And as weeks turned into months, he proved to be quite the canine, like blight!


Ducklings and rodents his little chubby form would fear, and their warnings would be so loud that the whole forest could hear.


The second one would often sit and listen. Wisdom was her calling and that was not hard to see as the months started unfolding. With her mother she would travel, drinking her every concern and word. And when they found a new hovel, she knew not to prod.


The third one was not studious nor was he brave. Rarely too serious and not much attention he gave. Unfocused and polite, he would sink in his dreams. The pack was his home, but not his goal, or so it would seem. To the skies he would look with hope in his eyes,

''Oh thy moon, where does my future lie..?''


And the months turned to years and the dunes of time had once more geared, for a new generation had appeared. The Firstborn, now the Alpha of his pack, remained strong while keeping them in check.


The second born, beautiful and wise, would overlook the forest, and to many would advise.

The third of the pack would remain in the shadows. For after their mother's death, in his self pity he wallowed.


And a new day came, as they so often do, and a new visitor made his way to the greenest of hues. Metal and iron, coal and steam, he would build his own home, tearing into the forest at the seams.


In his search for a better life, he would deem others to strife. And the pack kept their distance, for troubles with men they had no reliable resistance. His success would inspire others, and many would come, fleshing the forest, stripping its hum.


And one day when there could be no more forgiving, the vengeful canines had done their grieving. To put an end to this they sought, even if it meant to kill. For even a wolf, could have his fill. A crime committed in vengeance is the worst of them all, while the body may remain healthy; the soul was no longer whole.


Three wolves, they decided, would fight for the pack. The Alpha, for might and strength he did not lack.

The Advisor, for her wisdom and her cunning, she would always know what to do, even if it meant running was due.

The silent wolf, which was third of his litter, for no wolf should remain ever this bitter.

And as vengeful acts so commonly upend, this could not possibly happily end.


The man whose shack they had invaded had quite the little gift which he fiercely defended. A young little girl with sparkles in her eyes, after three shots of a gun, several bodies on the ground would lie.


The firstborn, strong and mighty, thought not to evade. And his undoing would come without a single advance made.

The second one, knowing fate's elaborate paths, jumped in front of her younger brother, and with her life she would save him from the gun's wrath.


He ran as fast as he could, with tears on his muzzle, could a wolf even cry?

He'd stare at the skies, puzzled. A crime of vengeance led only to more hate, and the circle would not end, not unless someone went for a new slate.


And as the days passed and the man had departed this world, the wolf would keep roaming, hunting the gift that was left in his hold. A young girl, not so young as before, a little sparkle in her eyes, and plenty of dreams in her core.

Hate is like venom, gathering in one's heart, not until forgiveness is issued, could it ever depart.


When he finally found her there was something adorning her form.

A little red hood, set squarely on her head, with a little picnic basket, tucked in her hand.

But you already know how this story is going to end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
I obviously don't have any rights to the Story that this tale theoretically predates.
I hope you enjoyed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First, let me say how wonderful a read this story is ... Second, some MINOR English critiques. I would recommend taking out the has (has once said) as it is awkward, and unnecessary. There are also several starts with And, that are not necessary, and can be eliminated. Other than that, well, well done. I think this is probably my favourite so far.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
I keep telling myself I'll go back to stories and edit them up.
.. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

The edits are really minor, but would polish the piece.



Reviews

The ending made me laugh. I'm not sure what this style of writing is called but it was fun to read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I was inspired by Ana Sophia's re-write of "Beauty & the Beast", such that I created "Watership Café", & now I'm reading your take on Little Red Riding Hood . . . I think there's a trend here! Are we trending? No, really, tho . . . in all seriousness . . . this is a great fairy tale like story told with a bit of rhyming here & there, not consistently, but it doesn't need to be (hey! I rhymed, too!) I love your archetypes & how the one we least expected, turned into the big bad wolf. Great read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks alot Barley.
And when it comes to trends--- I dunno!
This is one of the four pi.. read more
First, let me say how wonderful a read this story is ... Second, some MINOR English critiques. I would recommend taking out the has (has once said) as it is awkward, and unnecessary. There are also several starts with And, that are not necessary, and can be eliminated. Other than that, well, well done. I think this is probably my favourite so far.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!
I keep telling myself I'll go back to stories and edit them up.
.. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

The edits are really minor, but would polish the piece.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ZJC
Great twist on how it weaves into the tale of Little Red Riding Hood. Once again, great writing and the description of everything is your usual excellent self. These are the stories I enjoy, where a backstory leads the reader down another path of a story that everyone knows, such as Little Red Riding Hood.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks mate! I'm glad you liked it.
I'll be honest here and say that I didn't plan it out tha.. read more
ZJC

7 Years Ago

Hey maybe that's a road you can then go down. Maybe expand upon the story in that direction!
fascinating take on Red Riding Hood. you took a tortuous path showing a great imagination, LM.
you couldn't have chosen a more appropriate font for the tale, only I found it painfully small. maybe it's my small screen, though.
you have a style all your own which I find quite pleasing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Oh yeah, I see it now. My Feed was chokefull of messeges, I really ought to turn off some of it. Any.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2016
Last Updated on May 22, 2016
Tags: Wolves, Forest, Prequel

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gone Baby Gone Gone Baby Gone

A Poem by Pete