The Flames

The Flames

A Story by LastMonth
"

Sometimes the flames get too hot, and even though we tried our best, it's not enough. But there's always a choice.

"

In midnight she awoke, to the terror of screams.  The flames were high, tore the village at the seams. The smoke piled up, cascading her sight. She pushed as hard as she could, with all of her might. There was only one destination, one target indeed. A sacred discretion, a sacred plead.

''Please gods almighty, just give me this.''


Whispers in the night, too many voices to dismiss. She had to go, as fast as was humanly possible, she had to go, if she wanted a chance at all. Desks were removed, pillars of wood. A cry in the night; A boy's plight.

''..Mom..! Mommy I'm here!''

Don't cry little baby"Mommy is near…!


His little form she took with a grip of steel, this little boy, her soul, no one would steal. Through the horrors and flames that none else could endure, this mother and her child, a love that was pure.

Feet became anxious, heart throbbed like drums, she'll never let go, no matter what comes.

Fathers and mothers, protecting their kin, they ran as fast as they could, defying the terror within.


And when the flames grew too hot to survive, she shielded her son, he must stay alive. Fate was too cruel, and it appeared neither could, she would make things better, she would.

''…Hush my sweet child, mother is near. Don't fear the darkness, mother is here.'' With a gaze that was calm, despite of the storm inside, she wrapped him in her arms, and promised sweet lies.


''..Close your eyes sweet thing"'' She would softly coo. ''..I'm too scared..'' He wept, and it was then that she knew.

''Look then in mine.'' She offered at last. Blue and protective, warm and steadfast.


And the darkness then came, and it collected them whole.

 But when he looked in her eyes, 

it was almost like nothing happened at all.

 

 

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Dedicated to the most loving creatures of them all. Parents.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An amazing tribute to the almost supernatural power of the bond between parent and child on them both, one driven to protect, the other believing fully in that ability to protect, both against all reason.
The hardest thing is realizing that you can't always protect them.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I agree.
I've never been a parent,
But I can't envy a parent knowing it is beyond his .. read more



Reviews

brilliant LM. your rhymed prose is quite unique on this site.
you did mention the father once but this is a beautiful tribute to the best of them all: Mother.
lovely write and great tribute. kudos, my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks Woodsy, I'm glad that liked it. I appreciate you reviewing pretty much everything I write, an.. read more
Woody

7 Years Ago

the pleasure's entirely mine, M. I review the peole I like and consider friends :)
Woody

7 Years Ago

and the praise's sincere.
Excellent work. I don't know if it was your intention, and I hope you take it as a compliment, but this particular piece could easily be made into a children's book. The playful lovely rhymes, the themes of fear, and of mother being there. I thoroughly enjoyed, best thing I've seen on here for a while, keep up the good work

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Oh! Don't worry about the Children's book comment. If you go through my writings, the heroes are oft.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

782 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2016
Last Updated on May 14, 2016
Tags: Sad, Mothers

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic