Why Having A Boyfriend Won't Necessarily Make You Happy

Why Having A Boyfriend Won't Necessarily Make You Happy

A Story by Laura Harrison

There’s a quote that reads “never put your happiness in someone else’s pocket,” and I know countless girls who do this- They believe that having a boyfriend will make them happy, so they chase down boys like a wolfhound, and then move onto the next target when things don’t go as planned.

But let me ask you something; if you aren’t happy single, what makes you think that you would be happy in a relationship? Dating someone isn’t going to make you feel any less depressed. Their kisses aren’t going to magically wipe away the sadness that lives inside you. Spending time with yourself is good. You need to have some alone time to figure out who you are and what you want before you find yourself being defined by another person. Besides, when you’re in a relationship, you can’t just be one person all of the time, you have to be two. You’re the girl when you’re by yourself wearing sweat pants and no make-up and watching Doctor Who on Netflix. Then you’re the girl getting dolled up in front of the mirror, set out to impress your latest boyfriend.

Now don’t get me wrong, relationships can be amazing when they are with the right person, but not every guy you meet reading Bukowski in Barnes & Noble is going to be ‘Mr Right.’

Too many people chase happiness, but sometimes the best thing to do is to just live your life and wait for happiness to find you. It can be found in many things, not necessarily in the arms of a boy, but if it truly does, then good for you. But here’s some advice, never expect other people to make you happy, especially if you aren’t happy with yourself.

© 2013 Laura Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is has so much meaning behind it.
its so true, people shouldn't just think a boyfriend or girlfriend in their life would get rid of everything and suddenly make you happy all the time.
i have an amazing girlfriend and sometimes i'm still not happy...my problems won't go away that quick.
but sometimes she helps so much and then i feel like the happiest person on earth.
a relationship can be great and a relationship can have problems and make you more miserable than you were before u had someone.
so you're the only one who can make yourself happy because sometimes your other half cant.
great little story.
It's so truthful and comes straight from your heart.
very well done :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is very interesting kido, there's parts where I agree with you and there's parts where I don't; but overall wonderful job lol

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well done, but it is a culture to have boyfriends during ones life span until one meets the true lover.

Posted 10 Years Ago


very nicely written, I liked it,

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love this its like your speaking to the old me haha.
I usto want a boyfriend so much thought i would never be sad or depressed and he would always make me happy.
Sometimes thats true because he is a great guy, sometimes when im with him im much happier and my problems seem so far away.
Although in the end i see there still there, they only seemed gone for a while, but there always there hanging in the distance a boyfriend wont get rid of anyone's problems.

Even the best boyfriends stuff up they say the wrong things or sometimes act like jerks they really upset you so sometimes having a boyfriend makes you depressed even more then being single did.

Only YOU can truly make your life better, having a boyfriend sometimes does help get you though things though and im so great-full to have mine in my life :)

Anyway i loved this peace it was so true and so full mof meaning, allot of people can relate to this :)
Amazing little poem well written :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Well said. It's clear you have wisdom on the subject.

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sue
I agree well I would at 48 I am used to being on my own and happy :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is very true. It reminds me of this saying "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." I agree that it is important to find your happiness when you are still single, not saying it is easy but it would probably help with the relationships, in that you wouldn't chase the guys but wait for the one you think would be right for you.

Good Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nice write, bold advice.I like it :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow! I can actually relate to this quite well....im going through some relationship problems and don't know what i should do....reading this really made me think hard about my current situation and knowing i should put myself first and not rely on another persons love as long as i love myself! Love this good job

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laura Harrison

10 Years Ago

I'm glad this could help you in some way :) thank you for the review

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

478 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013

Author

Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison

Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom



About
My name is Laura, I am 25 and I write poetry to understand life. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Coma Coma

A Poem by Stevo The POE-t