Blitz.

Blitz.

A Story by Laurenn Isabelle.
"

Charlotte's a freshman in High School. With six older brother's all holding astonishing football titles, will she have what it takes to make this year better than the rest?

"
Main Character: Charlotte Payne.
Characters Mentioned Most: Cody Payne, Alex Payne, Mason Payne, Trevor Payne, Scotty Payne & Zach Payne. T.J. Kelly & Jesse Collette. 

__

* important to know; Cody & Mason are in college, Alex is one of the helping football coaches at her school, he graduated the year before. Mason's twenty one; Cody's twenty & Alex is nineteen.

__

Summer was almost over, fall sport tryouts were almost here, and I was more than ready to ask Coach Taylor if I could play football. I knew he'd probably say no because I was a girl and he didn't think I could handle the pain, but little did he know I've been playing this damn sport for years, six older brothers, my entire life was just like theirs, sweat, breathe, bleed & live, football. But Coach didn't know that, he probably didn't even think I know the difference between yard lines. 
I sighed, looking in the mirror, wearing Mason's old jersey and a pair of distressed white short-shorts. I picked up my phone from the table, walking down the stairs and to Alex's room,"Alex will you give me a ride to school?" He opened his door, giving me a look that could only mean you're insane,"Sure get the keys and let's go." 

We climbed in his black Ford F150, and headed for Lakeview High school. I bit my lower lip, I'd told T.J. and Jesse to meet me here later. But for now I had to find the guts to tell coach that not only did I want to play football, I wanted to play Varsity football."You okay?" Alex looked at me as if I wasn't the person he'd known for fifteen years."Yeah, I just miss Cody and Mason a lot" I rubbed my arms, bringing them back down and playing with the edge of the black jersey."Is that why you're wearing Mason's old jersey?" he asked. I nodded, we reached school and I thanked him, telling him we'd talk later.

I opened the door and headed for the football field, the coach's offices were near there. I knocked on the solid wood door, no answer, walking into the locker rooms I went directly to Coach Taylor's office.
"Good morning Charlotte, what can I do fer ya?" his southern Texas accent making me smirk a bit. I had an accent, but nothing compared to the one he had."Coach, I have a question" I sat down in the chair he'd probably had for the past eleven years."You want to do Varsity cheer this year" he smiled, crossing his arms on his desk. He'd seen me cheer, I was the best of the best. But this wasn't what I'd come for. 
"Yes, but no, not this visit. I want to play football, 
Varsity football" I said. His face drained of color, I sighed, he spoke up,"But Charlotte, you don't know the first thing about football!" I groaned,"Who do you think helped train the boys during peewee football, junior high football, High School  football?! I've known plays and positions since I could walk, I grew up with this sport!" I shouted. He shook his head,"You're just saying that." This was pissing me off beyond limits, but I was determined to make my point go through his head.
"Coach whether you like it or not, ever since Cody graduated you haven't had a running back even a quarter as good as he is! And I'm telling you now I'm just as good, if not somewhat better. I trained with my brothers for everything, who do you think got my stunts so high up in the air? Coach I've got the poise, the balance, the skill, the determination, the muscle for it all!" He stuck to doubting me though, even though I was trying my best.
"Just give me a chance, come tryout day, your mind will be blown to pieces, and if by chance, I'm not good, I'll take that cheerleading gig. But trust me, this sport, is something you don't want to doubt me about, this is my life" I was breathless. He nodded, pursed his lips together and then spoke,"Okay. You got yourself a deal there Payne." 
I smiled,"Thanks coach!" I ran from his office, leaving him there to wonder if it had all really gone down like that.

I saw T.J. & Jesse pulling up, and I ran to them. Smiling like I hadn't in a long, long time. T.J. got out of the car and I hugged him tightly, looking at his deep blue eyes was like nothing any emotion could come near to. I loved this boy, with my heart and soul, but he didn't know anything. 
I walked over to Jesse giving him a hug too, then getting to the point,"are you guys doing Varsity this year?" They're eyebrows raised, nodding and then asking why."Because I'm trying out with you." They're jaws dropped to the floor, my two best friends, and even they didn't believe in me. 

I shook my head, and walked away from them, not believing a single minute of this."Charlotte wait!" they called after me. T.J. ran up to my side,"Charlotte what are you talking about?" I looked at him, examining the amount of shock that played his face.
"I love football, you guys have seen me play, you've seen how into the sport I am. I'm trying out, for running back. There's no way I'm just gonna sit back and let this year suck just as bad as last year. You guys are good and solid, but your nothing without a good running back, a quarter back that knows the drills like mine, and defense that can play the right rolls at the right time" I said,"Just think, with all of us on the Varsity team this year, we can't lose." 
"But Charlotte, you're a cheerleader. The whole school watches try outs like a game, are you thinking of other people? Of their thoughts?!" Jesse looked at me with astonishment in his eyes. 
"Drop it okay? I'm trying out, no matter what either of you say" I began to walk home, leaving the boys to think about what had just happened. 

* Tryouts. 

A week had passed since the events had gone down at school, and today was football tryouts. The entire school would be attending, even people from schools around. I looked in the mirror, cheerleading shorts, Cody's old jersey and white Nike's. My hair was up on the right side, high with a black&white ribbon."Charlotte, let's go" Jesse and T.J. were waiting to go to the tryouts, my brother's had known for a while that I'd wanted to do this. 
I walked out of my room, squeezing the teddy bear Mason had gotten me just before he left, dad was bringing the video camera to show Cody and Mason the most nerve wrecking day of my life. 

We pulled up to the football field, the place was packed, but there were about fifty three guys trying out, only one girl. That lucky; lucky girl was me. I walked onto the field, standing with my brothers, knowing they were gonna do something to get me completely and totally recognized. Scotty and Trevor picked me up, placing me on their shoulders and 'wooting'.
The entire stadium went dead silent, everyone on the field stared and someone shouted,"She's a girl! She can't tryout!" I jumped off their shoulders, picking up a football, I was standing on the ten yard line, I threw the ball as hard as I could, perfectly spiraling all the way to the seventy yard line. Everyone around me couldn't believe what they'd seen, all I could do was smile in approval. 

There was a scrimmage to play, two miles to run, push ups & crunches to do. Before I knew I'd made the team or not. The warm up, two mile run and everything else was easy. But when it came down to the scrimmage I was a bit nervous. I took a deep breath, looked down at my Nike's, and whispered,"Just do it." 

I was on offense, standing in my pads and guards, helmet on securely and ready to take on the best these guys had. 

An hour later I'd given all I could, bruised and wrecked, I was still ready to fight for what I wanted. Everyone in the stands cheered my name, and Coach Taylor looked at me with amazement in his eyes."Well I'll be darned, ya shoulda told me you could play like that. I woulda given you the spot without even thinkin'." 
I smiled, walking away with the boys, hearing my name being shouted by hundreds of people all around me. I got into the truck, ready to go home and take a shower, I'd get the news tomorrow morning, then practices would begin that afternoon. 

"You did good kid, you did good." my dad said, gripping my shoulder and smiling at me. We drove home, and I was ready to call Mason to tell him the news. 

© 2010 Laurenn Isabelle.


Author's Note

Laurenn Isabelle.
What do you think? Please review, it'd mean a lot to get some criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great start. Good to see female characters for main role. Please post next chapter. I'm eagerly waiting for her training part.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 9, 2010
Last Updated on October 9, 2010

Author

Laurenn Isabelle.
Laurenn Isabelle.

Farmington, NY



About
"You have forgotten who you are and so forgotten me. Look inside yourself. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life." - The Lion King. more..

Writing