Foreword

Foreword

A Chapter by Chain of Hearts
"

This will give you a little hint of what the story is about ;D

"
Foreword

Creeeeak!
“Ahh!” I whispered trying to withhold the scream that was about to betray my voice. What was that sound?
Creeeeeeeeeak!!
“Just take a deep breath Camila. Ok, I need to go figure out who or what that is.” I muttered under my breath, talking to myself as my body trembled ever so slightly.
I swung my legs over my brown coloured bed. My bedroom was pretty plain. It had a single bed with a small nightlight on a small coffee table in the corner closest to my bed. Also, there was an old mahogany desk that held the odd pencil that was burrowed somewhere under all of the crumpled papers.
Now, I walked slowly on the cold wooden floor that made shivers go up my spine for every step I took. When I reached my door, I cautiously opened it, praying it would not squeak. I looked behind me regretfully into my room. There was the bedroom window, glowing with the moon’s radiant glow. Should I really leave my room? Maybe it was just a mouse or something…No. I need to make sure no one is down there.
My bare feet touched the thin carpet in the hallway of my family’s crammed apartment. Not that I would call them my family. They were my so called ‘parents’ but they treated me like a stranger- they didn’t treat me like a human being. You might be wondering what that is supposed to mean, but I’ll just leave it to you to figure that out for yourself. Now, back to my story.
I gently tiptoed down the hallway. There was my parents bedroom, and on the other end was the storage closet packed with my fathers’ alcohol. Yep, he was an alcoholic. My mother- lets just say she flirted with a lot of guys. She worked at the bar in the center of New York and was thought to be good at it too.
I was scared out of my wits to leave my room before my mother and father had left to do their ‘daily business’ at around 5am. If my father caught me- he’d most likely box my ears and make sure I felt the pain over and over again. My mother? Slap me and leave me nothing to eat for who knows how many days. Well, I didn’t get three meals a day anyway with our short food supply.
CREEEEAAAK!
“Argh!” I shouted and turned my head to where the sound must be coming from. A shadow flickered at the bottom of the stairway. I ran downstairs clumsily, almost tripping over my feet. When I got to the bottom I looked to my right, there was the front door with peeling red paint. I turned and looked to my left-there was the kitchen with its dirty pots and pans piled in the sink that were never bothered to wash. Suddenly the front door slammed. There were gun shots and I ran back up the creaking stairs of my house and into my bedroom.
This is my life.
I’m always afraid when I hear someone in our house-Even though I know that it’s most likely a person from a gang seeking refuge. The neighbourhood we live in is dangerous and has many criminals usually on the loose.
I walked back to my bed and lifted the thin sheets which I draped over my frozen body.
“Brrr…” I said, shivering.
I fell asleep fretting over whether or not my father or mother had heard me that night.



© 2015 Chain of Hearts


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Setting the stage for the story is fine balance between grabbing the reader's attention and not giving away too much of the story to come.

NOTES: Some of your descriptions read rather like a catalogue of details rather than setting a mood.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Doesn't sound like a pleasant life. This chapter sets the scene for the story well.

Posted 9 Years Ago


a great story,it is interesting and sounds like real life

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chain of Hearts

9 Years Ago

Thanks for your review!
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome
Chain of Hearts

9 Years Ago

Yeah sorry that the chapters are so long...oops

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015


Author

Chain of Hearts
Chain of Hearts

Alberta, Canada



About
Hey pals! So welcome to my page, I hope you take an interest in my writing- I will definitely look into yours. -------------------------------------------------------------------- TAKE NOTE: Pl.. more..

Writing