Prologue: Brothers at Arms

Prologue: Brothers at Arms

A Chapter by Desirée Tolliver
"

Ptolemy, Samson's twin brother has moved in with him and his father. Meanwhile, Sharon, Lord Eros's daughter has gone missing. Is this for real...or is something sinister in the making?

"
Everyone has had a dark past. Even you, Samson, Ptolemy’s voice rang in his ears. Images of terror and violence flashed across his mind. Every emotion he felt in those moments of his past began to hit him all at once. His dreams zeroed in on the memory he had of the Alley he hung out in the night before the Battle.

He relived the argument he and Taylor had about Taylor’s decision to steal The Living Circle but this time, he was inside Taylor’s mind. He felt the hatred Taylor had for The Living Circle and his anger towards him for his decision to not steal The Living Circle with him. Taylor didn’t like that Samson chose to save The Living Circle from destruction by The Chaos.

“I will achieve the destruction of The Living Circle, one day,” Taylor said. For some reason, his voice didn’t sound like it was in his dream. “I’ll start by destroying you, Asus. Just you wait.”

Why do you want to destroy The Living Circle so badly? Samson wanted to ask, but his voice wouldn’t work.

He immediately felt something sapping his strength, making it harder to breathe or think. He struggled to regain strength and tried to wake himself up but to no avail. “Die!” Taylor’s voice echoed across his mind. A large object materialized out of thin air and flew towards him.

He awoke to a loud BANG! in the backyard. He turned over groggily and glanced at the digital clock on his nightstand he received the past Christmas. Although it was 8 AM, he felt like he hadn’t slept a wink. Since Christmas, his nightmares have been getting worse and more vivid. He turned over again and waited for his father to wake to check out what had caused the noise.

He closed his eyes and tried to go back to sleep, when he heard a loud motor running in their backyard and a knock on his bedroom door. He sighed exasperated, “Who is it?” he called.

The room door opened and closed, but he refused to look and see who it was. He felt something heavy sit on the bed next to him and a hand gently shake his leg. “Come on, Samson, it’s time to wake up,” he heard a familiar voice say. The voice was so similar to his that he jumped and looked up.

“Ptolemy?” he gasped, “What are you doing here?”

Ptolemy smiled at him, his deep blue eyes dancing with humor, like sunlight on the deep blue sea. He was dressed in blue jeans, a brown T-shirt, and sneakers. His golden blond hair was freshly washed and neatly plaited down his scalp. Although Ptolemy had his hair braided, Samson still felt like he was looking at a mirror reflection of himself: what he’d look like with braids and a deeper tan. “I made you breakfast,” he said, simply.

Samson’s mind raced. He still couldn’t understand why Ptolemy was in his room, let alone in their house.  He thought he’d be in the Golden Twinkle Kingdom with Prince Smith and the other princes. “What? You…cooked?” he asked.

Ptolemy chuckled, “You sound surprised,” he said. “Your father told me how good you are in the kitchen. Why is it so surprising that I am, too?”

Samson hesitated, I don’t know, he thought. “You’re a…prince,” he said.

Ptolemy sighed, “You’re my brother, Samson, not Prince Smith,” he said. “Now, get up. Your breakfast is getting cold.”

Samson sighed and threw the covers off himself. He went into his closet, grabbed a change of clothes: some blue jeans, a black T-shirt and sneakers, and took a quick shower. Once he was dressed, he followed Ptolemy into the kitchen where he saw the table filled with scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, sausage, and a large fruit bowl filled with every fruit nameable.

Samson tried to hide his surprise as he turned to Ptolemy, “You didn’t do all of this yourself, did you?” he asked him.

Ptolemy sighed, “Your father wanted to cook breakfast but he also wanted to be able to work on the yard,” he said. “I offered to cook breakfast while he cut and trimmed the grass in the backyard, so yeah I did all of this myself. Now, let’s eat.”

Samson and Ptolemy fixed their plates and took their seats at the table. “Um, you don’t think your brothers will be looking for you?” Samson asked. “I mean…the other princes in the Golden Twinkle Kingdom.”

Ptolemy smiled, “They know that if I’m not there, I’m here,” he replied. “So, they’re not worried.”

Samson and Ptolemy finished their breakfast in silence and cleaned up the kitchen. They went outside to the backyard to help Maqsedeth plant some flowers inside his greenhouse. Afterwards, Samson fed Rainbow and gave her some water. He groomed her, changed her horse shoes and cleaned out her stable. While Rainbow trotted around their backyard, Samson, Ptolemy, and Maqsedeth lied on the grass, resting from their work.

Samson sighed, “So, is anyone gonna tell me why Ptolemy is here?” he asked.

Ptolemy sighed, “I’m here because whether you’d like to admit it or not, you need me,” he replied. “I’m just looking out for you. Plus, I--” he faltered, “I missed you…” he added, quietly.

Samson sat up, “Say what?” he asked.

Ptolemy’s face flushed and he wouldn’t meet Samson’s eyes. He sighed, “Don’t judge me,” he said. It’s already bad enough that people saw me cry over Samson when he died after slaying The Chaos last December, he thought. I don’t want people thinking I’m a softie, but I couldn’t stand it if Samson pushed me away for just wanting to spend time with him. Especially since all I’ve been doing up to this point was hiding from him.

Samson smiled and lied back down, “It’s alright,” he said, softly, “I won’t judge you. I understand.” I kinda missed you, too, he thought.

Ptolemy smiled and they heard footsteps approaching their area. They all sat up to discover Lord Eros, the patriarch of planet Eros, in the backyard with them. He had caramel colored skin, dark brown hair and he was dressed in royal blue robes. “Excuse me,” he called, “Which one of you is Samson?”

Immediately, Ptolemy and Maqsedeth both looked at Samson. Lord Eros slowly moved closer to where they sat and faced Samson and Ptolemy, “Samson, please help,” he said, glancing between them both. “It’s an emergency.”

Samson and Ptolemy exchanged looks. Samson sighed and stood to face Lord Eros. He half hoped Ptolemy would stand up with him to keep Lord Eros guessing but he didn’t. “What’s the emergency?” he asked him.

Lord Eros sighed, “My daughter, Sharon Passion, has gone missing,” he said.

“You mean, Sharon Ward, Samson’s cousin?” Maqsedeth asked, sarcastically. “The girl you took from Hector?”

Lord Eros lowered his gaze in embarrassment and sighed, “Why do you have to say it like that?” he asked.

Maqsedeth sighed, exasperated, “Why haven’t you searched for her yourself?” he snapped.

“I have but I didn’t have much luck with it,” Lord Eros retorted.

“And you think Samson would have a better chance of finding her?” Maqsedeth snapped. “Why should he trust you?”

Lord Eros sighed, “Mr. Maqsedeth, with all due respect, I mean your son no harm,” he retorted. “So, Samson, will you please help?”

Samson sighed and shrugged just as Ptolemy stood to face Lord Eros. He unsheathed Infinite Blade and studied its silver and gold finish as the red orange glow that surrounded the blade became brighter. The sword got warmer in his hands and dark images flashed across the blade. Ptolemy gasped as he saw Taylor emerging from the shadows in Lord Eros’s palace. He kidnapped Sharon and carried her away to a dark place where he kept her hostage. He sheathed the sword and sighed, Something’s not right, he thought, troubled. I can feel it… Every nerve in his body told him this was a trap.

He tapped Samson on his shoulder, “Let me come with you,” he said.

Samson glanced back at him, “Are you sure about this, Ptolemy?” he asked.

Ptolemy nodded.

Lord Eros shook his head, “No, this task is for the Chosen Warrior only,” he said, sharply. “Who are you anyway?”

Ptolemy crossed his arms over his chest, “Oh, so you don’t remember me?” he asked.

Lord Eros shook his head, “Who are you?” he asked.

Ptolemy sighed, “Well, since you’ve just come across a case of amnesia, I’ll tell you who I am,” he said. “I’m the man who protects the Chosen Warrior with his life, so wherever he goes, I go.”

Lord Eros sighed, exasperated.

Samson glanced at Ptolemy and smirked, “Yeah, Lord Eros, I don’t know where I’d be without my human shield,” he joked.

Ptolemy glared at him, Human shield? How dare he, he thought.

Lord Eros studied Samson to see if he’d change his mind. When he saw that he didn’t, he relented, “Alright,” he said. “You guys can go together. Just don’t draw too much attention to yourselves. No one else knows about her disappearance. No one except me and you guys, so be as quiet as church mice.”

Samson and Ptolemy nodded.

They went out of Maqsedeth’s backyard, through the clearing by the house, pass the Sunflower Palace, through the Gates of Manorá, and into the Magical Forest. Ptolemy led Samson through the Magical Forest into the Serenity Forest. They went down the hill through a tunnel and they found themselves on the Island of Immortality in front of the entrance into a cave.

Samson turned to Ptolemy and sighed, “I’ve been meaning to tell you about the dreams I’ve been having,” he said, as they crossed through the Island.

Ptolemy nodded, “I know, Samson,” he said. “I understand why you haven’t…I’ve had the same nightmares…”

Samson fell silent and followed Ptolemy down a path that led them through Slaughter Alley. Ptolemy led him into Charmander Central Park. The Thirty Golden Towers were before them, the rest of Charmander was to their left, and the entrance into Slaughterville was to their right. Ptolemy stopped abruptly and looked around.

“So, do you know where Lord Eros stays?” Samson asked.

Ptolemy nodded. “But, she won’t be there,” he replied. “Taylor isn’t that stupid.”

“Taylor?” Samson asked. “How do you know he’s the one who took her? How do you know it isn’t someone else?”

Ptolemy gasped, realizing he said too much. “Oh…I forgot to tell you,” he said.

“Forgot to tell me what?” Samson pressed.

Ptolemy sighed, “Samson, please forgive me, but I chose to come with you because I suspected this was a trap,” he replied. “Something just didn’t feel right. I mean, why would Lord Eros come all the way to planet Xerox to ask for your help?”

Samson shrugged. “Maybe he didn’t come all the way to planet Xerox,” he replied. “Maybe he was already there. Every Erosian evacuated planet Eros as soon as it became the Forbidden Planet.”

Ptolemy’s brows furrowed as he considered that idea. It seemed plausible, but still unlikely, since today was the only time Lord Eros pleaded for Samson’s help. He shook his head, “I don’t know, Samson. Something just doesn’t feel right about this,” he said. “I feel like there’s something we’re missing--something staring us in the face, but I can’t put my finger on it…” Like, why didn’t Lord Eros recognize me? Everyone on planet Eros knew me as the young Mr. Azo, son of the Great June Zero of Charmander, even he did, Ptolemy thought. So, why didn’t he remember me?

Samson fell silent. Ptolemy turned left and led him through Charmander Central Park, pass a bunch of schools and restaurants, careful to not draw too much attention to themselves. If Ptolemy’s so uncomfortable about this mission, should I be worried? Samson thought. I mean his assumptions are always correct, so if he believes this is a trap--it must be a trap.

Ptolemy turned around, The image I saw on Infinite Blade showed Taylor taking Sharon to a dark area, he thought. Where would that be? He thought for a while before finally recalling a memory from his childhood. It was when he first met his mother in the prison within the heart of planet Eros. He gasped and grabbed Samson’s arm, “Come on,” he said.

He led him away from the businesses and the Park, towards the Thirty Golden Towers. He veered right and led Samson down some stairs until they finally made it to a large steel door that was bolted from the inside. Ptolemy turned to their right and saw an opening he never noticed before. He led Samson towards it and discovered another section of the underground prison. This area was much darker than the area near the steel door and it looked like no one had been there for a long time. Samson brought out the lamp Queen Martha had given him and switched it on, painting their surroundings in a bright white light.

With the light from the lamp, Samson and Ptolemy were able to see this area was obviously a much older prison. The cell doors were rusty and falling off their hinges. The cots were bare and, instead of a tile floor, this prison had bare concrete. Ptolemy was about to lead Samson back the way they came when they heard someone laugh, “Well, well, look who finally made it,” he said. “Hello, old friend.”

A man emerged from a cell to their left and sized them up. He had pale skin, short jet black hair, and dark eyes. He wore battered jeans, a ripped black T-shirt, and sneakers. He gave them a cold smile, “It looks like your other half decided to tag along,” he said. “Well, I’ll enjoy this. I get to kill two birds with one stone.” His voice was so gruff, it sounded like he was growling as he spoke.

Ptolemy gritted his teeth and unsheathed Infinite Blade. “Taylor,” he growled, “What have you done with Sharon?”

Taylor laughed and it was clear to them that he was enjoying their frustration. “Oh, that little runt?” he asked. “Don’t worry, I won’t keep her for much longer. Especially now that she’s served her purpose.”

Samson glared at him. “What do you mean, served her purpose?” he roared.

“You’re just as dull as ever,” Taylor said. “Don’t worry, though, I’ll be quick in putting you out of your misery.” He cracked his knuckles and smiled. He reached for Samson, but Ptolemy intercepted him and raised his sword in defense.

Taylor laughed, “Taking a back seat as usual, huh Asus?” he taunted. “Why don’t you come out and face me like a man?” He pushed against Infinite Blade trying to get to Samson but Ptolemy pushed back, preventing Taylor from going any further.

Samson growled, “My name is Samson,” he snapped.

“Don’t you ever get tired of having your brother fight your battles for you, Asus---oops, I mean Samson?” Taylor teased. “Face me like a man!”

Samson gritted his teeth and stepped next to Ptolemy. Ptolemy looked over at him, “Are you alright?” he asked him.

“Great,” Samson said, sarcastically. “Never better.”

“Don’t let him get to you,” Ptolemy said. “He knows what happens when your rage gets out of control. He wants to bring back The Chaos.”

Taylor busted out in a roaring laughter. “You actually think I want to bring back The Chaos?” he asked. “You’re really clueless, aren’t you? You need to be taught a lesson.” He reached for Samson but Ptolemy intercepted him with the flat of Infinite Blade.

“Grab hold of Infinite Blade, Samson,” Ptolemy said. “We must wield it together.”

Samson grabbed the part of Infinite Blade’s hilt that was still free and together they pointed the sword at Taylor. He laughed, “You think that puny sword will work on me?” he taunted. “You’re sadly mistaken.” He knocked Infinite Blade out of their hands and grabbed Samson by the collar of his shirt.

Samson glared at him, “What do you want, Taylor?” he growled.

Taylor laughed, “I’m so glad you asked,” he said. He began to blend in with the shadows that surrounded them. As he did this, Samson felt his strength leave him almost immediately. Taylor thrust his free hand through Samson’s chest, trying to stop his heart. “I want you dead,” he said.

Samson groaned in agony and fought to regain his strength. Taylor laughed. Samson swung and kicked him, trying to fight him but his fists and feet passed through Taylor as though he wasn’t there. “Why can’t I hit you?” Samson asked.

Taylor’s laugh shook the prison like thunder. He gave Samson a cold smile, “I’m nothing,” he replied. “You can’t attack me.”

“But, how…?” Samson grunted. “How are you…doing this?”

“You feel that, don’t you?” Taylor taunted. “Your strength failing, your power draining, and your body becoming weaker. Pretty soon, you’ll be nothing, and you can’t do anything to stop it!” He chuckled.

Ptolemy dropped to his knees as the pain flowing through his body got worse. He struggled to his feet, despite the pain he felt in his veins. Oh yeah? Well, there is one thing we can do, he thought. He picked up Infinite Blade and sheathed it, then he teleported behind Taylor. He closed his eyes and concentrated, tapping into the power of Infinite Blade. The sword and scabbard glowed brighter than Samson’s lamp and wrapped them both in a red orange light.

Samson felt his strength gradually return until he was finally strong enough to push free from Taylor’s grasp. Ptolemy ignited his hands and tied Taylor’s arms behind his back with the flames. “Ahh!” Taylor cried. “How did you do that?”

While Taylor was distracted, Samson met Ptolemy as he unsheathed Infinite Blade and grabbed the part of the hilt that was still free. Infinite Blade filled the entire underground prison with its light and aura. Samson felt the power of Infinite Blade flow through him and repair the damage Taylor had done to him. Together they stabbed the sword through Taylor and he dissipated.

Ptolemy sheathed Infinite Blade and they searched the entire prison for Sharon. When they couldn’t find her, they began to wonder if this was some kind of joke. “Looking for the worthless runt you call a cousin?” a voice echoed throughout the prison. “Look no longer, for I have sent her back home to my puppet. I have no use for her now. Besides, I wouldn’t worry about her. The next time we meet, Samson, you won’t be so lucky!”

Puppet? He can’t possibly mean Lord Eros, could he? Samson thought. He glared into the gloom, “What have you done to Lord Eros?” he roared.

Taylor’s laugh boomed like thunder, “You’ll find out soon enough!” he said. “For right now, Samson, I’d be preparing for our rematch, if I were you.”

Samson gritted his teeth, “Taylor!” he growled. “Stop this madness, now!”

“I thought we destroyed you!” Ptolemy shouted.

“You’ll never learn, will you?” Taylor bellowed. “You cannot destroy nothing!”

The prison shook and the ground quaked vigorously. The cell doors crumbled to the ground and the opposite wall began to seal up, fast. Samson and Ptolemy bolted through the wall just before it sealed up completely. Ptolemy looked back the way they came and he began to realize why he never noticed the opening before. It was never a real opening. It was just solid wall.

As he was contemplating how the opening got there, the two men standing guard before the steel door slowly came out of their shock. “Hey, what are you doing?” one of them asked.

Ptolemy gasped and glanced at the guard.

The guard gasped, “Is that…the half-blood?” he whispered to his partner.

His partner nodded, “Yeah, but he was supposed to be destroyed at birth,” he whispered back. “And, it looks like he has with him Charmander’s most wanted.”

The guard who spoke first glared at Ptolemy and Samson, “This is unacceptable,” he said. “These two men are very dangerous and must be taken in immediately.” He readied his spear and pointed it at them.

Ptolemy grabbed Samson’s hand and led him out of the prison and up the stairs. “Stop! Get back here!” the guards called after them. They radioed every police officer on Élysée, to arrest them on sight. Charmander’s Police Force surrounded them as they left the prison, but they managed to break away. The Police Force chased after them, calling for back up.

Ptolemy pulled Samson through Slaughter Alley and they ran until they found themselves back in the Island of Immortality, with the Police Force hot on their tail. Ptolemy concentrated and called on the power of the core of planet Eros. He felt a tight tug in his gut, and the ground around them quaked, vigorously. A large tidal wave crashed over the Island of Immortality. The ground broke beneath them and took the Police Force with them.

Ptolemy and Samson dove through the cave entrance and found themselves back in the Serenity Forest. They ran into the Magical Forest, through the Gates of Manorá, and caught their breath by the Sunflower Palace.

Samson looked at Ptolemy, “So much for being “as quiet as church mice”,” he said.

Ptolemy chuckled, “We tried our best,” he sighed. “But, we can’t ever go back to planet Eros. If we do, we’ll be arrested.”

Samson sighed, “But, why would they arrest you?” he asked. “It’s me they want, not you. I’m the one who looks like Asus.”

Ptolemy shook his head, “They want us both,” he said. “We’re both criminals.”

Samson gasped, “What did you do?” he asked.

Ptolemy hung his head, shamefully. “I lived when I should have died,” he sighed.

Samson fell silent with shock. “But, why?” he asked, after a while. “Why must you die?”

Ptolemy sighed, “I’ll tell you…when the time is right,” he replied. “Infinite Blade forbids me from telling you, now.”

Ptolemy led Samson back to the house and Maqsedeth led them inside. They followed him upstairs and into the parlor. They took their seats and explained to Maqsedeth what had happened.

Taylor will stop at nothing to destroy The Living Circle because he knows doing so will grow Nowhere. If Nowhere grows, he and everyone like him will get stronger and he will be able to destroy other dimensions as well. Because Samson is the strength of The Living Circle, Taylor seeks to destroy him knowing that his death will lead to her destruction and the destruction of a neighboring dimension, Lavender. Determined to succeed, Taylor awaits Samson’s arrival at the Golden Mazes, with The Living Circle herself as his new hostage…


© 2018 Desirée Tolliver


Author's Note

Desirée Tolliver
This prologue follows after the events of The Dark Lands; The Magical Forest is the fifth and final book of The Adventures of Sam series

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on September 4, 2018
Last Updated on September 4, 2018


Author

Desirée Tolliver
Desirée Tolliver

Port Gibson, MS



About
I'm just an aspiring writer looking to meet other aspiring writers. Writing is what I do. I live, love, and breathe writing. I live off this quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: "If, when you wake up in the m.. more..

Writing