Love`s Paine

Love`s Paine

A Poem by Leslie Philibert
"

I just wanted to try this

"
Have thou not compassion for my sicknesse ?
O fatall desire for your face in heav´n
Behold love`s revenge for my wickedness
That I did treasure you the while
More than God`s starres in moonlit night
Yet I so foolish did not take his heed
And now am punished with great speede
Blinded by visage, and lost of holie light. 

© 2012 Leslie Philibert


Author's Note

Leslie Philibert
I`m not sure if there is much point in writing like this, a one-off to see if I could get the feeling and the spelling right - a literary exercise. John Donne did it better !.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

An island of Donne in a sea of lesser well done. (Apologies to Ken Simm)
does there have to be a point in writing something? it is in the head, for some reason, it is almost a duty to put it down on paper - or somesuch. I feel perhaps you are hiding a little behind the ' literary exercise' claim. Something pushed you to write, and to write in this form. Just go with it. Let others do the 'literary exercise' analysis. Plenty will. Just reflect on the strangeness of the voices that impel the writer to write in form and language that she/he is not in everyday connection with. But not too deeply. Just follow them. The owners of these compelling voices are out there. Writers/poets are just conduits. If not, they are conartists.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 11 Years Ago


An excellent write, has strong visual and feeling of sad fate penned, I like the cool old style to this, nice pen upon this piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G!o
First i fell in love with the language you used in writing this piece. Lovely. Then second i adore your choice of words.."and now am punished with great speede"...i have to admit though it left me yearning for more of it. Beautifully sad writing Leslie...

Posted 11 Years Ago


A touch of yer actual Donne. Well I never! And Donne done so well as well, (sorry). This fits the period and the feel so well. Excellent job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


' That I did treasure you the while ~ More than God`s starres in moonlit night'

There's always a point in emulating the finest and in my book, you're learning amazingly quickly. This is a walk in the brightening shadow of the best, truly is, your phrasing is more than good. Seems a sadness held the pen, a past prompted the words. Truly hope your next post will have more a touch of daffodil bright Wordsworth than Donne.

Posted 11 Years Ago


how are we to break all the newest boundaries until we have mastered the styles of all those who came before?

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm no expert but I think you succeeded. Such an eloquent way to portray loss.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Think it worked then. A lovely sad portrayal of having made a mistake and then realised what it has cost. Very poignant to me having just ended a relationship and my ex partner now realising what she has lost. It feels so bad on this side too.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 17, 2012

Author

Leslie Philibert
Leslie Philibert

Bavaria, Germany



About
I`m not important. I just want to write a couple of good poems. Just read what I write. That`s enough. more..

Writing
End End

A Poem by Leslie Philibert



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..