Two Souls

Two Souls

A Poem by Leslie Philibert
"

For Rainer Maria Rilke.

"
I have two souls,
the one brave,the other fearsome.
You may take charge of one.

Over the night town,
across the bridge,
I see the brake lights
of the trucks heading to Austria.

© 2012 Leslie Philibert


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the thoughts in the poem. I would like to know the purpose of the road to Austria. Easy to be brave and fearsome. Being wise in the hard thing. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good poem.

Wish it had been just a bit longer.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like the contrast between fearsome and the unspoken fearful, the resignation and despair that accompanies the image of the truck lights disappearing over the border. The subtlety of the ending invites the reader to ponder and question. I really enjoyed reading this beautifully sad yet defiant poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Loved the imagery and the proof of feelings, both on and off the surface. I could sense the dread and power behind the words. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very powerful words. I sense both strength and sadness here. Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Niice work..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Always that feeling of sadness in your last verses (the two I've read so far anyway!) Good poetry... not so easy to dismiss and not too hard to leave you frustrated.
*bird*

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great poems don't have to be long and endless! I love this poem and the way it made me feel reading it! It's a beauty!

WindSong

Posted 12 Years Ago


I enjoyed this and the imagery.
Real nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can't get over a feeling of dread with this. Like heading to some sort of work camp in the 40's.
The two souls, the surface feelings and the under the surface. Almost like someone has to be brave for two people. scary s**t indeed.
Then the idea of the brake lights, the anticipation could drown someone. Not getting there, but getting there non the less, like watching yourself get chewed by a big f*****g anaconda.

Normally for short I'd want more, but I have to say, this damn thing is the perfect length to drive that depression level into the atmosphere.

you just killed a fly with a sledgehammer

booya

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2012
Last Updated on January 3, 2012

Author

Leslie Philibert
Leslie Philibert

Bavaria, Germany



About
I`m not important. I just want to write a couple of good poems. Just read what I write. That`s enough. more..

Writing
End End

A Poem by Leslie Philibert



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love..... Love.....

A Poem by KAREN