chapter one

chapter one

A Chapter by LilPirateFairy

Chapter One:
        
        Normally, when you're a 116 year old girl, you would be out with your friends, partying, getting into mischief, talking about guys, dating guys and that life style would seem more or less absolutely normal. I'm not normal. My life isn't surrounded by the joys of youth. It's surrounded by the constant reminder of what I must accomplish and become when I'm older. The tedious mornings where I must attend breakfast in a formal gown. Where greeting High Lords and Ladies is a normal and supposedly fun thing to do. How every after until dinner time is studying with my personal tutor. Being a Princess is not a fun thing at all, and I pity any woman who has wished for it.
        My father is King Krieg ruler of Schatten, and of the Shadow species. A very powerful and sometimes demonic man. My mother rules beside him as Queen Gift. She's the most loving woman I know and has been nothing but a wonderful mother. However, to others, she can be cross and dominating. Their wedding was arranged but I've never seen such an in love couple in my entire life. Their love is radiant and you can visibly see it- at least I can.
        My name is Engel. I'm their one and only child, which means the burdens of becoming a great leader one day is upon my shoulders. I never thought the weight of the world would be so heavy. Since birth I was raised and taught how to think, act, dress, and be a Queen. I don't regret any of it, but I do wish that I could get one night off.
        Tonight was no exception to anything. I would be attending my fathers annual government party. Their would be dancing, dinner, drinks, and a lot of boring people there. It was mostly the High Lords and Ladies attending and of course the royal family. I was sitting on my bed in a towel, just having gotten out of the bath. I didn't want to attend. I was extremely tired from my battle training. Three whole hours in the courtyard with a retired warrior. After that kind of training three times a week you think I'd be used to it.
        There was a soft knock at my door. I made sure my towel was on before I stood up and walked to the door. I put my hand on the wall and closed my eyes. Breathing in I steadied myself and mentally pushed through. It was my maid, Chi. I let her into my room and walked back over to my bed.
        "A Princess should be getting ready." Chi was always so cheerful and she was always smiling. I couldn't help but be nice to her.
        "Chi, I just really am so tired tonight. I'm getting ready. Slowly- but getting there." A put on a cheesy grin.
        Her smile widened and I knew that I was off the hook. She went into my closet and fetched me my formal red and black gown. It was extremely heavy and I sighed at the look of it.
        "Alright." I stood up and went to my dresser to put on my undergarments. After those were on, Chi helped me into my dress. When we got to tying the strings of my corset up I almost cried out. I hated these dresses sometimes.
        Sitting in front of my armoire as Chi began to make up my hair I stared at the reflection in the mirror. A slender girl with toned muscles and curves. She had long hazelnut hair that the longest strand touched the middle of her back. She had one emerald eye and one deep crystal blue eye. Her face was perfect. Not a flaw visible. Perfect bone structure and pale skin to match. She was every girls envy. Sometimes I wished I wasn't the girl in the mirror. Sometimes I wish I could trade shoes with anyone else so I could be someone else for a day. The sad truth is that I'm here as Engel Holle Patton and one day I will fulfill my duties.
        "Done." Chi said with a satisfied tone. My crown was the last to be put on. A white gold crown that matched anything I wore with it. I stood and made my way into the hall and to the party. Dinner would be the first thing to occur so I made my way to the dining room. My mother and father were waiting at the entrance doors which were shut at the moment.
        "Daughter, you've arrived. We may start dinner now." My father placed a hand upon my shoulder and gave me a short warm smile. The double doors opened and we began the night.
        Dinner was slow but enjoyable. My meal was delicious and the dessert almost put me into overdrive. Since I was allergic to chocolate the chiefs always made me caramel for my substitute. It wasn't a bad thing. I enjoyed caramel more than chocolate any day. The company and my parents mostly talked about what went right and what went wrong with our Kingdom in the last year. How they could make it greater and what they could do about foreign affairs. It was conversation that I normally listened to. Endless chatter. That's what I liked to name it.
        After dinner was the dancing. Everyone went into the Royal Ball Room and began to dance to classical tangos that were older than my great grandparents. I danced with a few Lords who seemed very intrigued by me. Lastly, I danced with my father when the night began to slow.
        "How are your studies going?" He asked me in a whisper as we moved around the dance floor.
        "They're doing fine. Thank you for asking. How is running the Kingdom going?" I asked in return and his smile brightened.
        "Wonderfully. I have exciting news to tell you." He seemed excited enough. "Your mother and I have finally chosen a suitor for you."
        My heart sank into my stomach. I was barely 116 and suddenly I felt the weight of the world double.
        "Father, I -" but he cut me short as the song stopped and we pulled a part. I bowed my head in thanks for the dance and he rushed up to my mother. He took her hand and cleared his throat. Every person in the room stopped doing what they were and gave my father undivided attention.
        "I have joyous news." He held out his hand and gestured for me to come stand by him and so I did. I didn't want this to happen. I was too young. My corset suddenly felt too tight for my own good. My breath was hard and short and I'm sure I looked flushed. "My Queen and I have chosen a suitor for our daughter, Princess Engel Holle Patton. What's even better is that he has attended this ceremony to dance with her in courtship."
        The audience was thrilled. I saw nothing but smiles upon their faces. Inside my head I was screaming.
        "Lucas Verdammt Devicon, High Lord." Applaud suddenly rang in my ears and I nearly forgot how to breathe. I saw him being highlighted as the crowd parted. He made his way up to my father. I had never seen my father so happy and I'm not sure I had ever felt so ill.
        As he stood in front of my father I noticed he was gorgeous. Tall with a toned a strong body structure. His face was so perfect I could never think to describe it in words. He had short black hair that at the moment was slicked back formally. His lilac eyes shown like crystals as the light played off of them. As he turned to look at me his eyes were warm. He held out his hand to me in offering for a dance.
        I took his hand automatically and we were on the dance floor. I couldn't remember moving from my fathers side. I noticed he was much older than me. We were all immortal so he didn't look old but to be a High Lord, the age you have to be to even be qualified is 220. He twirled me and I caught my breath finally.
        "You look dashing." His words were deep and his voice made me blush. I didn't know what to think anymore. I was in a courtship. It's not like I didn't have a lot of other stuff on my plate.
        "Thank you, sire. You do as well." That's all we spoke during our entire dance. When the music was over he bent and kissed my hand. That's when I realized fully that I wasn't in control of my life. I never had been. Apart of me wanted to suddenly fight for that but my small fantasy dream was pushed back quickly. My father and mother approached us and it was as if there was no one else in the room anymore.
        "It's time for the four of us to go have drinks." My father led us into one of his offices and we were alone. From that moment I wasn't sure if the weight of the world would ever get easier to hold.


© 2009 LilPirateFairy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on September 7, 2009


Author

LilPirateFairy
LilPirateFairy

Colorado Springs, CO



About
My name is Nikkie and I enjoy reading and writing. I've been writing books/novels since I was about 10 years old. I got interested in writing after beginning to read the wonderful books of Harry Potte.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by LilPirateFairy