Chapter 3--Kings, Swords, and a Talking Wolf

Chapter 3--Kings, Swords, and a Talking Wolf

A Chapter by Faye

 

The Dimension of Trenniel
 
            The she-wolf lay still upon the floor of her cage, her eyes closed and her right ear twitching as she dozed lightly. Even now, though, her senses were sharp and she was aware of the room around her. 
            She had just tried once more to call mentally to the gods she knew had created this dimension—and possibly others—but still she kept these calls to herself. She had no wish for any being to know she had sunk so low as to admit that she, of all creatures, needed help. 
            In the end, no one had come; she had expected as much. So here she lay, biding her time; she knew the foolish guards of the mansion would eventually slip up, and she would be ready—she just hoped that that time would not come too late. 
            Half-dreams danced around in her mind, creating visions of what she could do to the guards once they made their mistake, but just as her jaws closed over the throat of an imaginary guard, her senses abruptly brought her out of it.
            Her eyes opened, clear and fully alert, and she quickly rolled onto her stomach, not even lying there for a second before pushing herself up to stand.
            She peered around the room through the thick bars, puzzling for a moment. Her fur was bristled, for she could feel that the air in the room was changing, and her nose brought her the scent of something new, a scent that was growing steadily sharper. However, her eyes caught nothing, even as she turned to face the one window of the room, the place from where the disturbance seemed to be originating.
            A bright light suddenly filled the room, and the she-wolf backed up a step, shutting her eyes and laying her ears back as she crouched low to the cage, feeling a strange wind tugging at her fur. Then, as abruptly as it had begun, the wind stopped, and the light disappeared, leaving Meridith McCarthy in its place.
            Meridith groaned as dizziness assaulted her, and she fell forward in a heap, dropping her apple on the way down. 
            The she-wolf, with her eyes still closed, registered only the scent of the girl and the apple, and the sounds of her grunt, the audible thump as Meridith hit the floor, and that of the apple. This was followed by the sound of the apple rolling before it hit her cage, making a slightly more audible sound and causing the she-wolf to open her eyes and stare at it for a moment, before looking over at the girl. 
            Her ears flicked forward, before she quickly pulled them back, along with her lips. She bared her fangs fully, and growled.
            Meridith jerked and rose onto her hands and knees at the sound. Her eyes met the dark blue, narrowed ones of the she-wolf before she jumped up, stumbled backward, and screamed. The she-wolf’s ears twitched in irritation at the sound, before she cut it short with a loud snarl and spoke to the girl.
 
Why are you here, human?
 
The words seemed to force themselves painfully into Meridith’s mind, hostile and clearly female, but her ears heard only the deep growling of the wolf. She realized quickly that the voice belonged to the wolf, and fell back to the floor, screaming again.
 
            The she-wolf started to repeat her question, but as soon as the girl’s scream ended, her cage door began to glow with the same strange light from before and then rattled violently. She stared at it for a moment, before backing away from it and closing her eyes once more. 
            The door seemed to rattle in time with Meridith’s quickening breaths, until suddenly her breath caught in her throat as she flung her arms protectively over her head, and in that brief moment, the bars—now red as molten iron—quickly melted into a pool upon the floor.
            The she-wolf opened her eyes slowly once the harsh glow behind her eyelids had ceased. Her astonished gaze met first the empty space where the cage door had been, the remains of the door itself, and then the girl behind it, still cowering and shaking in fright. 
            Briefly, she wondered if the gods had answered her call. The she-wolf lifted her ears, and then padded slowly out of the cage and over to the girl, before looking down at her and speaking once again. 
 
Girl…
 
            As she looked slowly up at the wolf above her, craning her neck to meet the fierce, canine eyes, Meridith could tell that, if she got the chance to stand, the wolf would probably meet her height of 4’ 9” and perhaps even pass it. 
            She trembled, her eyes traveling down the great muzzle to the large, slightly parted jaws that revealed the white of sharp fangs. As she stared, the she-wolf slowly crouched, bringing her head down so it was level with Meridith’s, and Meridith followed her action with her eyes, until finally, she was able to stare straight into the she-wolf’s large, sapphire eyes without tilting her head at all.
 
You’re not…completely human…are you? 
 
            Meridith jumped slightly at the wondering voice, glancing at the jaws that moved not once. The voice didn’t hurt her head this time. 
            Her eyes remained wide and trained on the wolf before her as she wondered at the consequence of her answer, thinking back on old fairy tales of wolves and young girls. Will she eat me if I’m human? 
            However, she had barely managed to come up with an answer before she heard a commotion at the door to the room they were in. She looked over to see the doorknob turn slightly before she heard the sound of keys fumbling in a lock.
 
Come. 
 
            Meridith turned back to the she-wolf to find the front half of her heavily furred body pressed against the ground and her eyes looking expectantly over at her. 
 
“Wha-”
 
Get on. We must go.
 
 The she-wolf’s words were followed by an impatient growl and the sound of a key finally clicking in the lock.
 
            Meridith’s eyes widened, but she climbed onto the she-wolf’s back without hesitation, her fingers gripping the black and silver strands of fur tightly as the wolf rose and turned towards the door.
            The door swung open to reveal two men dressed in boiled cattle-hide armor, one behind the other. From her perch, Meridith could see both sets of eyes widen in alarm as they fumbled at their waists.
 
“Girl! Get away from that beast,” the one in front yelled, his deep voice cracking in fear.
 
But Meridith paid no attention; her eyes were fixed in wonder on the sword the man had finally managed to unsheathe. A sword? She was beginning to wonder exactly where and when she was, when she felt the she-wolf’s body shake slightly. 
            Meridith sat there, confused for a moment, before the sound reached her mind and she realized that the she-wolf was actually laughing!
 
Hold on.
 
 Even in her mind, Meridith could hear the amused tone.
 
            Meridith crouched lower on the she-wolf’s back, practically hugging her, and closed her eyes as the she-wolf leapt into the air. In that one leap the she-wolf crossed the small room, her passenger nearly hitting the ceiling. 
            A fire leapt into her eyes as she met the gaze of the frightened man before her. As she came down, the man brought his sword up in front of him, but she ignored it and her paws met his chest plate, causing him to fall back into the other guard, sending them both flying to the floor. 
            She heard the sound of the man’s sword entering her body just between her last two ribs, and even flinched slightly as she felt the pain, but she ignored it, leaping into the air again so that she landed beside the tangled bodies of the two guards. A few drops of her blood hit the carpet, but she only chuckled again, watching the two try to rise. 
 
They still think those things will work.
 
Meridith had opened her eyes by now, and looked over at the blood-slicked sword as the wolf spoke. 
 
“Why are they using swords?”
 
They have no other weapons, the she-wolf answered smugly.
 
            She decided against tearing them limb from limb now that the young girl was on her back. Then, she turned and ran down the long, gold-carpeted hallway, leaving a thinning trail of blood behind her.
 
            Where am I? Meridith wondered silently, as she looked around the hall. She turned to look behind them and spotted the trail of blood. Then, she turned back around, worried, and pressed herself down on the she-wolf’s back, placing her mouth near one of the big, furred ears to be sure she could hear her.
 
“A-are you ok?”
 
Although the she-wolf had never heard the phrase before, she quickly caught the meaning by the concerned tone in the girl’s voice. Her lips pulled back in a light wolf’s smile. 
 
Of course.
 
“O-ok,” Meridith stammered. 
 
Then, she looked back to see that the blood trail had stopped, before she turned her face back towards one of the she-wolf’s large ears and spoke again.
 
“Can you tell me…where I am?” she asked uncertainly.
 
You are in King Ferdinand’s dwelling.
 
Meridith heard the she-wolf’s mental laughter again.
 
“King?”
 
Only in his own mind.
 
“Kings…swords…” Meridith mumbled before pressing her face into the fur of the she-wolf’s neck. “I’m so confused.”
 
Why are you confused, little one?   The she-wolf’s tone was that of a mother’s as she cocked her head slightly to the side.
 
Little one? Meridith thought.
 
 “This is…it’s…” Meridith sniffed and shook her head. “I wanna go home.”
 
Maybe this is what happens when you get a coma! I...must have hit my head on the windowsill! Her thoughts turned to rationalizing before the she-wolf interrupted her.
 
I’m afraid you’ll have to make that journey alone, the she-wolf answered, perking her ears up as the sound of barking and paws pounding against the floor echoed through the hallway.
 
            Meridith worried for a moment that she wouldn’t be able to find her way home alone, but then quickly calmed herself. She decided to distract herself from such depressing thoughts by questioning the she-wolf. 
 
“Um…so…you’re…a talking wolf?”
 
In a sense. The she-wolf paused for a moment, flicking her ears sideways before continuing. I am a forest guardian.
 
            She suddenly performed a sliding turn towards a hallway on their right, her claws tearing through the thin rug covering the wooden floor.         There were five, lean but muscled black dogs running towards them. Their long, thin jaws were open, revealing large fangs and lolling tongues that showed their excitement.
 
Meridith continued, her gaze trained on the fur she held gripped between her fingers. 
 
“And we’re in a kingdom…and everyone is fighting with swords…”
 
I’ll explain later, the she-wolf replied shortly.
 
Her fur bristled and she raised her tail high as she growled at their advancing enemies.
 
Maybe she knows why I’m here! Meridith thought excitedly. Sweet! 
            Then she turned and looked at the dogs in surprise. Two of them had stopped, while the other three continued towards them, their gait slower now that the she-wolf was facing them. The she-wolf chuckled mentally, eyeing the three that still advanced towards her. 
 
They remember not where their ancestors came from.
 
“You’re not going to hurt them, are you?” Meridith questioned worriedly.
 
Only if I have to, came the she-wolf’s reply as she snarled, barked, and bared her fangs at the advancing dogs. 
 
            The two that had stopped turned and ran, but the other three kept coming. Meridith buried her face in the fur between her hands, closing her eyes. I can’t watch!
 
The she-wolf huffed, obviously annoyed that they hadn’t all run. She shifted slightly, and then crouched a bit lower to the ground, turning her head towards Meridith, but keeping her eyes on the dogs. 
 
Get off.
 
“..Eh?”
 
Meridith lifted her head and opened her eyes.
 
You’re vulnerable there. They’ll attack you.
 
Uh...um...k-kay...” Meridith replied, shaking slightly as she slid off of the she-wolf’s back. 
 
            She moved back a bit to the left of the she-wolf to watch the battle nervously. I felt safer up there, though.
 
            The she-wolf stepped forward to meet her enemies, her fur bristling more. They quickened their pace as they drew closer, hoping to attack her quickly and be done with it. 
            The lead one lunged at her, but she darted forward quickly, snapping her jaws closed inches from his face. The frightened dog reeled, falling over the one behind him in his haste to escape. The dog ran back down the hall the way it had come, and Meridith snapped her eyes shut as the second one came at the she-wolf.
            The she-wolf lowered her head, but then darted forward just as the second dog leapt. She thrust her head under the dog’s torso, and then jerked it up quickly, throwing the dog through the air and into the wall behind her.     The dog connected with the hard surface with a yelp and slid to the ground. After a moment, he stood shakily. For a second, he looked like he might try to attack again, but then he thought better of it and ran around the she-wolf, following the first dog down the hall. 
 
Meridith opened an eye and continued to watch.
            The third dog had come around to the right of the she-wolf as she was dealing with the second one. As she sunk low to the ground again, looking for the remaining dog, he took the opportunity and leapt, landing on her back and sinking his teeth into the ruff at her neck. 
            Meridith’s eyes widened in fear. 
            The she-wolf growled and shook herself, trying to dislodge the dog; but the dog held tight, bracing his claws in her thick fur and pulling with his teeth, so that blood sprung up between his jaws. 
            Meridith covered her mouth with both hands and continued to watch as she panicked silently. Oh crap! Oh crap!
 
They trained you well, the she-wolf intoned in amusement. 
 
            She dropped to her side, rolled onto her back and proceeded to roll back and forth until his grip had loosened enough for her to break free. Then, she jerked her head, freeing herself from his jaws and rolling back onto her feet so that he was left lying stunned on the floor. She rose quickly and lifted him by the scruff of his neck before he could move. 
            Meridith closed her eyes in anticipation of what would come next, but the she-wolf simply shook him as she would a disobedient pup and dropped him. The dog tucked his tail, whimpering and cowering low to the ground, and then he turned and ran back down the hall after the others. 
            The she-wolf chuckled and shook herself, splattering the floor with tiny droplets of blood from her neck. 
 
Good boy. 
 
Her voice sounded smug in Meridith’s mind.
           
            Meridith peeked out from between her fingers as the she-wolf turned and padded towards her. 
 
Now you see why you had to get off.
 
 The she-wolf’s tongue hung from the side of her mouth, showing her amusement. 
 
Now get back on.
           
            Meridith realized that she was being ordered like a pup, but she quickly climbed back onto the she-wolf’s back, fisting her hands in the fur once more. 
            The she-wolf shook her head as the healing bite began to itch, and then she ran down the hall the same way they’d been going, questioning as she went. 
 
Well, we should have a clear path to the forest now. So, what would you like to know?
 
            Meridith blinked in confusion, caught off guard by the question. She’d been concentrating on staying on the she-wolf’s back while she ran through the twisting halls.
 
“Huh?…Oh…Uh…Er…First…What’s your name?”
 
My…name… The she-wolf paused; she hadn’t had anyone call her by her name for fourteen years. A child’s voice called that name for only her ears, but she snatched the name and shook her head, sending the voice away. My name…is Yuka.
 
“Thank you for protecting me, Yuka.”
 
Yuka nodded, her ears twitching. 
 
You released me, little one.
 
Meridith blinked, surprised. 
 
“Huh? No, I didn’t. The thing just melted.” 
 
Yuka nodded knowingly, her mental chuckle hinting at hidden secrets. Meridith wondered at it for a moment, then shrugged it off and questioned her again.
 
“Why were you in there?”
 
Yuka growled, laying her ears back.
 
I suppose Ferdinand wishes to be rid of me.
 
“Why?”
 
So he can have my forest…well…cut it down.
 
Meridith’s eyes widened. 
 
“That’s horrible.” 
 
Yuka nodded. 
 
“Um…you wouldn’t happen to know how I got here would you?”
 
I thought you did.
 
“I think I’m dead…or in a coma…or…something.” 
 
            Meridith sat there, puzzling at it for a moment before she felt Yuka’s sides shake beneath her and the mental laughter reached her mind. 
 
If you were dead, you wouldn’t be riding me. I couldn’t stand the smell.
 
Meridith closed her eyes and shook her head. 
 
“No, I don’t mean like a zombie.”
 
Zombie?
 
Meridith laughed. 
 
“Walking dead. Y’know? I wanna eat yer braaains! Raaar!”
 
Yuka tried hard to interpret the girl’s strange words, but just ended up confusing herself. She flicked her ears in agitation. 
 
You’re rather strange, little one. The dead do not walk…and brains have a bland taste…I wouldn’t recommend them. 
 
Meridith laughed nervously. “Never mind.”
 
            Yuka ran on for a while longer, and neither of them said a word. The halls got darker as they went, as if someone was trying to slow them down with darkness.
            Then, just as Meridith thought the journey would never end, Yuka raised her head, sniffed the air, perked her ears forward, and sped up. 
 
Pull up your feet.
 
Meridith looked confused. “Huh?”
 
Pull them up.
 
Meridith shrugged and pulled her feet up. Then, all of a sudden, Yuka turned sharply, slamming her side into a pair of double doors that seemed to leap out from the darkness. 
            The doors flew open and she wheeled until she was facing the doorway and the field and forest that lay beyond. Meridith laughed to herself as they ran out into the mists beyond the castle. Heh…this is kinda fun.


© 2009 Faye


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on December 7, 2009


Author

Faye
Faye

FL



About
I am a 20 year old college student and writer. Forced to grow up at three years of age, I was abused for most of my life, and such events have twisted and shaped my life like clay on the pottery whee.. more..

Writing
Her Her

A Poem by Faye