A Journey To Home

A Journey To Home

A Poem by Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart
"

My thoughts walking home from work tonight, in poetry form.

"
Seven-thirty PM.
Walking home.
Winter. Dark.

People guess the future of the human race.
Hoverboards, cybernetic implants, nanotechnology.
People tend to forget the things closer to home.

My children's school uniform;
Will it be made of Kevlar?
Will Year 1 P.E. classes entail self-defence?

Main road. Lamposts.
More people for the attack?
Or witnesses to stop it?

Key, in my pocket.
In my hand.
Pink ribbon clenched tightly, key teeth between the knuckles.
A method of protection.

Stitch in the side, for fear that breathing loudly will hide footsteps.
Pause.
Only to look for cars as crossing the road.

Home turf now.
Only a corner away.
Safe zone.
And yet, ironically, the darkest part of my journey.
No streetlamps.
...I walk faster.

Eventually, I use the key
For its original purpose.

I step inside; lock the door;
Breathe.
I prank your phone, to let you know I am home safe.

Tomorrow, repeat.

© 2010 Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have vivdly portrayed the fear of walking home alone after dark as well as the thoughts that run through your mind as you walk. I too tend to wonder what the future will will hold and how it may impact my life or my children and grandchildren's lives more directly. I found my own breathing was shallow while reading this because it evoked memories of the times I too walked home clenching my keys and holding my breath. Well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very Well portrait of walking alone in the night ...
I had same feeling once when i was walking in a dark night ..
coming from school...
As always an awesome write :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

11 Years Ago

Thank you! :D I hate feeling so paranoid when walking home... it's even worse that society is at a s.. read more
Akshat♥

11 Years Ago

You are right :D
Wonderful work.
Congratulations!

Posted 11 Years Ago


World is getting crazy. I like the story and the ending. We create a world of fear. Funny part world had terrorist for 3000 years. That is the purpose of border guards and airport security. World is as safe as 80 years ago. Government create ghosts to create more government control. A excellent poem. Made the reader think. A reader's purpose.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a s****y world we live in! I can remember playing as a child out in the streets; my parents knowing I was safe because if they did not see me then one of the neighbors could. Now I can recall just the other weekend when I was at my brothers house; he would not let his girls go out and play because he knew if he could not see them playing then one of the neighbors could. What has happened to humanity?
Nice insight into the world we live in and were it seems to be going.
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a very well crafted piece and speaks volumes as to what the state of our societies has become. Those fears have been real in large cities for ages, but now, unless you're in a rich, gated community, fear and being alone walking in the dark go hand in hand. The future? I hate to be a pessimist, but in my view the future isn't going to be too bright for humans or the planet itself. Changes need to be made quickly to prevent irreversible destruction but materialistic greed won't allow that to happen. Though I realize it's difficult to connect, your walk home in fear is directly related to the materialistic greed that will be our end.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I grew up in a neighborhood where you had to have someone walk with you two blocks home. Its not fun and I can sense your fear in this poem. The darkest parts of the streets always seem to be your house. ever notice that? Great write, its gave a accurate portrayal of Walking home alone

Posted 14 Years Ago


You have vivdly portrayed the fear of walking home alone after dark as well as the thoughts that run through your mind as you walk. I too tend to wonder what the future will will hold and how it may impact my life or my children and grandchildren's lives more directly. I found my own breathing was shallow while reading this because it evoked memories of the times I too walked home clenching my keys and holding my breath. Well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 29, 2010
Last Updated on January 29, 2010
Tags: Fear Philosophy Sociology Future

Author

Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart
Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

United Kingdom



About
Hi everyone. My name is Amber JS Hart, and I am 20 years old. I live in England, and am studying for a psychology degree at the University of Surrey. I am also a Youth Worker for young people with mi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..