Chapter One, Stranger Things.

Chapter One, Stranger Things.

A Chapter by Liz Pennies
"

Our heroin, Katherine, meets our Hero, Merik.

"

 

 

Chapter One

“Stranger Things”

 

 

 

 

 

            The excessively waxed floor gleamed, reflecting a cold fluorescent lighting back into the massive void of the lobby.  Katherine sat at her receptionist desk alone, steadily leaning on one arm as she filled out some trivial paperwork.  If she never completed it no one would ever notice.  Her contribution to the company was nothing more than a compilation of meaningless tasks.  Any highly trained monkey could do most of her day to day work.  After four hard years of putting herself through college, this was not where she anticipated to find herself.

            Armed with a degree in classical antiquity, Katherine had high hopes when applying with the Dorseman corporation, but out of desperation she found herself accepting what she considered now to be the degrading job of library receptionist.  After three years of faithful service guarding dusty tomes, she was beginning to feel forgotten.  If Katherine had any true faith left in a promotion, it was more realistically set in acquiring a placement at the receptionist desk in the front of the building.  At least they had windows.  Currently Katherine was stationed at the subway entrance, where only the bland fluorescent lights lit her day.

            As the company, or more importantly the museum it housed, was such a draw to the public, the Green Line train ran directly through the building at all hours.  The largest inconvenience was the sudden rise and fall in noise levels as the swarms of patrons opened the doors to board or get off their cars. The subway was otherwise sufficiently soundproofed for operating hours.

            Katherine raised her eyes as a scattered murmur grew into a loud gathering before her.  Men, women, and children were steadily streaming in, not yet realizing they were no longer on a rickety subway car, but in a place of study.

            “Quiet please, people are working inside,” she requested never truly expecting anyone to obey.  Beyond her desk, the library was concealed, where several patrons looked up annoyed.

            A willowy blonde in a long navy blue skirt rushed over to her.  “Sorry, Katherine,” she whispered briefly.  Turning to the hushing crowd she called their attention forward.

            “Welcome to the Dorseman Research and Learning Facility.  A tour of the Museum will start shortly.  Admission can be purchased at the gate located to your left.  Just follow the red tile path.”

            The group moved past them on their way to make their purchases.  The excited energy consuming them, they once again raised their volume of conversation.

            The girl in navy made an overdramatic collapse onto the desk with a sigh.  “I’m beat.”

            Katherine closed the file she was working on.  Accustomed to these little chats between Monica’s tour leads, she knew there was a minimal chance of accomplishing any paper work until she left.

“Long day?”

            Monica raised her head off the counter.  “You have no idea,” she began.  “This is the third tour I’ve done today, and so far I’ve had two ‘criers’, one ‘stray’, and…”  She paused lowering her tone.  She made a gesture of quotation marks in the air with her fingers.  “An adventurous couple.”

            “Hang in there, Monica.  It will get better.”  Despite Katherine’s attempt at comforting words, her voice lacked confidence.

            “Eh.  It’s a job.”  Monica straightened up.  As tired as she made herself sound, it was clear she wasn’t too badly troubled by the day’s events.  “Besides, the tips are good.”

            The doors to the subway platform were pushed open and closed again allowing another spurt of noise to escape from the station beyond.  Katherine shut her eyes in frustration.  She knew what was coming.  A cranky old man’s voice rang in her ears before a single word was spoken.  A figure emerged from the reading area behind her desk.  Katherine didn’t have to open her eyes to know he was there.

            Frail in appearance, he hobbled over grumpily.  His hand trembled as it rested for support upon a spindly cane.  “It’s noisy again!” he growled.

            “Yes, I’m very sorry, Mr. Andrews.”  Katherine opened her eyes and began to apologize, as was routine.

            “I don’t like noise!”  Mr. Andrews brandished his cane at her.  “You keep it down,” he carried on.

            Katherine’s face turned red showing her full embarrassment.  She never took well to scoldings.  “Yes, of course, Mr. Andrews.  I’m really, very sorry.”

            He mumbled some more as he walked back to the reading area.  His cane tip clanked with resonation upon each step against the smooth tile.  “I’ll get you fired�"  Stupid girl�"  Can’t keep it down.”

            Monica stood back disgusted at the scene.  “Why don’t you ever just tell him to plug it?”

            Katherine shuffled some papers trying to seem unaffected by his yelling.  “He’s just a bitter old man.  It’s not worth it.”

            “It’s not like he can actually get you fired, sweetie,” Monica argued.

            More patrons staggered through and Monica silently gave them a direction to walk in.

            “I know, but I’m still hoping for that transfer to another department.  My record can’t afford any blemishes.”

            Monica frowned.  She had been working for the company nearly twice as long as Katherine.  She knew as well as anyone that there was little chance for moving up to a position you weren’t originally hired for.  “You need to stand up for yourself, Katherine.  If anyone should have a ‘blemish’ it should be the design committee that approved this entrance.  The subway never should have been put through this end of the building.  Next to the library, are you kidding?”

            Katherine forced a smile and small chuckle.  She knew this was Monica’s attempt at cheering her up.  There was after all some truth to what Monica was saying.  But a chuckle was the most Katherine was prepared to show in agreement.

            Monica was satisfied with the progress she made in Katherine’s mood, and decided to take her leave.  “Well, I should go.  Destiny calls you know.”  She gave a sly grin and a wink, trotting off back to the museum wing.

            Katherine opened the file she was originally working on once more.  “Destiny...” She repeated softly to herself.  “More like history.”

 

            Truth be told, Katherine had a mild twinge of jealousy towards Monica.  She wished she had half of the enthusiasm seen in her.  Monica was always confident and full of conviction.  Traits that Katherine had left behind long ago.  Now it was a simple struggle to go from day to day.  Her life had hit bottom.  To her this building was a meaningless pile of bricks and wood.  Her job was a pathetic waste of existence, and so was the rest of her life.  This was all there was for her.  She had found herself traveling through a haze down an unclear path that only offered one lesson.  That lesson was, existing was very different from living.  Nothing ever changed here.  For three years she had been coming into work to be heckled by an old man, eat a bland lunch, and return to her one bedroom apartment only to prepare to do the same the same thing the next day.

Monica was the closest thing to which she could compare to a friend.  Katherine would evaluate the relationship more accurately as an acquaintance.  After all, it’s not as though she ever spent any time with Monica outside of work.  Despite Monica’s occasional invites she always refused to join her for a night on the town.  She had made it a strict rule to never allow herself emotional attachments.  Eating lunch with Monica when their schedules allowed was as far as she was determined to allow the relationship.

            Katherine had learned harsh lessons in life early on.  She harbored a secret.  A secret that cost her all friendships.  A secret that had left her on her own with no one to trust but her big brother Thomas who not only sheltered and helped her, but when her secret could no longer be concealed not only did he refused to turn his back on her but he defended her honor openly, bringing ridicule upon himself.

She missed him dearly, and longing for the guidance she was now left without, she often spent her days daydreaming about time spent at his side.

Thomas’s sing song voice bounced off his canvas at Katherine.  “You’re supposed to be studying…” 

“I like watching you paint, better.”  She frowned at a book opened in front of her, as she lay on the smooth floor.

Thomas placed one last stroke of paint and cleaned his brush before spinning about to face her.

“How did you know I was watching you anyway?”  Katherine squinted up at her big brother.

“I could feel it.”  Thomas winked.  “Maybe I’m special like you.”

Katherine giggled but it had a loneliness buried somewhere inside it.  “I wish you were.  I hate doing this on my own.  Or even more, I wish I was normal.  I wish I could just be an artist like you.”

“Hey, what have I always said?  Artists aren’t normal.” Thomas raised an eyebrow.  “Now come on.  What did you learn today?”

            Katherine looked at her book.  “I spent it reviewing Celtic Runes, and gypsy folklore.”

            “Again?”

            Katherine sighed.  “I think I need a new book.  I think I’ve got everything I can out of the ones we have.”

            Knock, knock, knock.  A strong masculine voice came through the door.  “Thomas, is Katherine in there with you?”

            “Yeah, Dad.”  Thomas shot a nervous look and quick wave at his little sister as she hurriedly slid the book under his bed.  “She’s just watching me paint again.”

            “Paint…  Thomas you know we have church.  You better not have gotten any on your clothes!”

            “No.  We’re all ready to go.  I was just putting it away.”

            “Ten minutes!”

            “Yes, sir.”

            Katherine took a deep breath at the retreating sound of her father’s footsteps.  “Sometimes…  Sometimes I wish he would just catch me.”

            “No!”  Thomas reprimanded, fishing the book back out from under the bed to hide it properly.  “Katherine, no good would ever come from that.  I know you didn’t understand when you were little but you’re growing up now.  How old are you again?”

            “Brat.  You know it’s my birthday this week.”  She smiled.  “I’m going to be thirteen!”

            “A teenager!  That’s right!”  Thomas laid on thick astonishment as he placed the book under a loose floorboard and moved to a corner of his bedroom.  An old porch swing that he had once salvaged and restored hung from the ceiling of his room, much to their parents’ displeasure.  “Come here and sit with me, Katherine.”

            Katherine did as he asked.

            “See that shoebox in my closet?  Fly it over.”

            Katherine tilted her head to better see which one he was referring to.  When she was sure she knew which she sharply said, “box.”

            It zipped through the air landing in her hand.

            “Whoa…  When did that start happening?”  Thomas’s stunned expression said all.  “What happened to ‘climbalta delitrivo?’  You didn’t use the incantation.”

            “I know.”  Katherine beamed giving the box over.  “I just decided to try it one day and it worked.  I read about it ages ago in one of your books.  The difference between ‘will’ magic and…  what?”

            “You really are growing up.  And you’re right, maybe you do need some new books.  Something a little more advanced.  I’ll see what I can do about that.”  Thomas sighed.  “Here.  This will have to do for the time being.  I was going to wait until your birthday, but I want you to have your present now.  Sorry it’s not wrapped.”

            Katherine looked at the little box Thomas held back out to her and carefully opened it.  It was stuffed with tissue paper to dig through, but her fingers finally found a deck of handmade cards tied together with a ribbon.  “Oh… Thomas, they’re beautiful!”

            “Well of course they are, I crafted them myself.”  He smirked.  “Now these aren’t a toy.  Do you remember everything we studied about Tarot?  How to charge them and link them to you?”

            “Yes.  I have to sleep with them near me for three nights and…”  Katherine’s jaw dropped.  “Oh!  REALLY!?  I can take them out of your room?”

            “Shhhh…”  Thomas glanced at the door.  “Yes.  You can start keeping some of your magic things in your own room.  But you have to promise to be careful.”

            “Oh, thank you!  I will!  I promise!”

            “And if you get caught with them, what do you say?”  Thomas demanded.

            Katherine sighed, repeating a series of over rehearsed phrases.  “I don’t know what they are.  They’re Thomas’s.  He gave them to me…  But I don’t�"”

            “Katherine, how long have I been watching out for you?”

            “Since that day I accidentally made it rain.  Since I was six.”  Katherine held the deck very lovingly.  “But Thomas, that’s the point.  Forget about me.  What about you?  This place is no better for you.  You’re eighteen.  How much longer are you going to wait to get out of here?”

            Thomas went quiet.

            “Thomas?”  Katherine looked up at him.

            “I’ve been thinking.”

            “About?”

            “I’m going to enlist,” Thomas replied.  “In one, maybe two years.  When I know you’ll be okay here on your own.”

            “What?”  Katherine sat at attention.  “A couple of years?  And what about school?  You’re art?  You can’t be serious.  The military?”

            “You’re right.  This isn’t a healthy environment for either of us.  It’s too,” he searched for the word.  “Well, suffocating is an understatement.”

            “And the military is going to be that much better?”

            BANG, BANG, BANG.  “Thomas!  Katherine!  Your mother and sisters are waiting!”  Their father’s voice rang out.

            “Yes, sir,” Thomas was quick to reply.  “Coming, sir.”  He looked down to see that Katherine had already successfully stowed the cards out of sight.  Their father’s heavy footsteps could be heard walking away again.

            “Thomas, I may only be thirteen, but I can understand what you’re doing for me.  I’ll never be able to repay you.”  Katherine leaned on him.

            “Just promise me one thing.  Don’t abuse this gift you were given.  Pay it forward.  Help everyone you can whenever you can.  Do good in your life.”  He smiled giving her a brotherly kiss to the forehead.  “What’s the first rule?”

            “Do what ye will, but harm none,” she recited the only commandment of Wicca.

            “Even if it isn’t with magic,” Thomas added.  “That’s all I ever ask.  Do good, Katherine.”

She had taken her brother’s advice to heart and vowed to use her talents for good.  Even if she was in hiding, she couldn’t deny that that vow was what drew her to this field.  Studying the history of cultures and artifacts from times long since forgotten gave her a link to a world she felt called to.  Every culture, religion, or civilization she had ever studied all shared at least one aspect.

            Throughout the history of the world, it could not be denied that magic was a recognized aspect in every society; whether it be called magic, spirits, luck, or miracles, it all came down to the same supernatural manipulation of energies.  Spending her hours researching what she could by way of the libraries books, gave her the connection she desired to the world of magic without taking the risk of revealing her secret to anyone.  After all, if her own family betrayed her, how could she expect anything less from strangers?

            The clock slowly crept past.  It was almost time for her break.  Almost three o’clock.  The part time assistant would be there shortly and she could go with Monica to the food court.  The long awaited halfway point of her mundane workday.  Her filing was finished and she distractedly made small imaginary circles with her forefinger on a piece of paper.  Continuing to daydream away, thinking about her old life and the estranged family she left behind in the country.  A loud slam on the counter brought her attention back to reality.

            Monica had thrown her clipboard and purse down causing the break in silence.  “What, isn’t she here yet?”

            “What?”  Katherine looked up realizing her thoughts had been carelessly drifting for near half an hour.  “Oh. Cindy?  No.”  Katherine answered assuming Monica meant her assistant.

            “I’m hungry,” Monica whined.

            “She’ll be here,” Katherine placated.  It was common habit for Cindy to be exceptionally late.

            “Speak of the devil.”  Monica claimed spotting her strolling through the subway doors.

            Cindy walked behind the desk and sat in a swivel chair without saying so much as a hello.

            Katherine did not press for a greeting but rather simply announced her own departure.  “I’ll be back in an hour.”

            Monica watched Katherine step from behind the desk with awe.  “Is that it?”  She couldn’t believe that Katherine wasn’t intending to reprimand Cindy for being so tardy.

            Shrugging awkwardly, Katherine wished to refrain from any confrontation she could.

            Monica could not be so passive.  Taking it upon herself to do what she felt Katherine should have, she spoke in a harsh scolding manner.  “Listen, I don’t want to even hear about you being late again!  Understand?”

            “I don’t see what business it is of yours,” Cindy spoke back crossing her arms in a snobbish fashion.

            “Well allow me to clarify.  It becomes my business when I’ve had to go to lunch over fifteen minutes late four times this month because you’re a selfish, lazy…”

            “Whatever.”  Cindy went about her work clearly not persuaded.

            “Monica. Come on.”  Katherine pulled her towards the food court.

            Monica’s face flushed as Katherine led her along pulling her backwards.  “Why You Little Snotty…”

            “The noise!”

            “Yes! Sorry, Mr. Andrews!”  Katherine called out.  “Let’s go!”  She pleaded with Monica.

            Shaking with fury, Monica did not refuse Katherine’s request.  “O-o-o-h, I can’t stand people like that!  So smug and inconsiderate.”

            “Yep, but what can you do about it?”  Katherine wished to drop the conversation.

            “How about anything for a start?”  Monica exhaled tired.  “Why do you let people walk all over you like that?”

            “What do you mean by that?”

            “Come on, Katherine.  You’re a walking doormat,” Monica said a little too bluntly.

            Katherine took the hard truth as a blatant insult.  “Gee, thanks.”

            “I’m not trying to hurt your feelings, you know,”  Monica continued as they entered the cafeteria.  “I’m worried about you.  It’s hard to watch people push you around.  You’re too nice, and it seems you let people take advantage of that so easily.”

            Katherine let her response drip with sarcasm as she lined up behind her for the Chinese food stand.  “Well it’s a good thing you’re here to look out for me then, isn’t it.”

            “I’m sorry.  I was out of line with Cindy.  It wasn’t my place.”  Monica apologized half heartedly.  Her focus was soon enough distracted by the young man working the food stand.  “Hey, Tony.  I’ll have the usual, Sweetie.  The spicier the better.” 

            “Don’t worry about it.”  Katherine shook her head not taking the apology to heart.  It made no difference if Monica meant it or not, or if she even noticed her response.  It was just another day, another obstacle to overcome.  She placed her order the same as always.  “The number four lunchbox please.”

            It didn’t take long to find their seats.  The same old table, same old chairs, same noisy crowd around them.  In the off chance that someone had taken their usual seats, they even had a regular second choice table.

            Monica took several mouthfuls of her meal before picking up the conversation where she left it with Katherine.  “It really doesn’t bother you does it?  Allowing yourself to be treated like that; it isn’t healthy.  I do worry about you sometimes you know.”

            “Well, I’m fine.”

            “No you aren’t, Katherine.  You need to get out and live a little,” Monica suggested.  “Catch a movie with some friends�" play mini golf�" or God, even go bowling!  Anything will do.  Me and the gang are going out tonight, why don’t you join us.”

            Katherine fumbled her fork nervously into the sticky sauce on her plate.  “S**t.”  She grabbed a handful of napkins trying to correct her clumsy error.  “Tonight?  Oh, no I don’t think tonight is a good idea.  I have work to do.  Besides, I don’t know any of your friends.”

            “That’s the whole point, sweetie.  You need to get out of this place.  You need to get away from those books.  They’re going to swallow you whole one day.”

            Katherine inaudibly mumbled, “God willing.”

            “What?”  Monica asked with a mouthful.

            “Nothing,” Katherine dismissed.

            Swallowing, Monica adopted an expression of curiosity staring at Katherine.  “What is it that you’re always reading about when you stay after your shifts?”

            “Just… trying to keep on top.  You know, stay in line for that promotion and all,” Katherine lied again to Monica.

            “Well.  Good luck with that.”  Monica would not drag it out any further.  The rest of lunch would be spent in silence.

           

            Katherine returned to her desk after she and Monica had finished eating.  Cindy continued to ignore her presence and Katherine continued to not care.  The crowds thinned and it wasn’t long before Katherine found herself sitting alone at a table in the dark.  A desk light reflected back at her off the rich wood surface, and surrounded by her usual pillars of books she searched for the next answer to the question of her purpose in life.

            This was how she liked it; having the entire library to herself.  Quiet.  Tranquil.  The only disturbance was the rattle rumble of the subway that was much more audible now that the building was empty of civilians.  The only company, the old guard that never cared what she was reading about.  Paul was halfway into senility, but the friendliest of men.  He would check on her once or twice in the evenings just to make sure she was always safe.  Being a retired officer of the law, he was paranoid that some danger was always waiting to fall.

            Katherine flipped through the pages of a text on Ancient Celtic history.  She had read it front to back at least a dozen times.  She closed the book realizing she had exhausted its secrets much like the texts that once hid under the floorboards of her brother’s room.

            She walked her stack of books back to their cozy proper places on the shelves as she heard the train pull up and depart once more.  It was getting late and it would be another half an hour before the train would pass through again.  Katherine could not risk missing it out of being simply unprepared to board.  She would be back in the morning, all too early.  Sleep was a growing necessity.  After returning each text back to its home, she reached for the switch on the desk lamp.

            CRACK.

Her hand to froze mid-reach.  She listened hard.  Buildings make noise, but not like that.  Not so resounding.  Not without cause.  She clicked off the light, still straining her ears for some indication of the source. 

Maybe it was Paul, she concluded.  Surely he must have dropped his flashlight, or knocked something off her front desk.  Surely, she was alone.  Each passing second of silence supported that nothing could be wrong.  But Katherine still stepped lightly toward the entrance, an uneasy twinge settling in her stomach, until muffled swearing could be heard and she froze.

The voice that carried on the stale night air was not of an old security guard, but of a much younger man.  She ebbed in with caution, keeping a magic incantation in mind for protection.  She’d rather not resort to using magic to do any harm to a living thing, but if it meant her safety she was prepared to do so.

            Quietly, one foot in front of the next, she neared the lobby.  The murmurs grew more audible as well as painful sounding.  Peering around the wall behind the receptionist desk she watched safely from the shadows.  There he was.  A silhouette of a young man contrasted against the light that illuminated through the glass doors of the subway.

Paul was no where to be seen.  She could not even be sure if he would have knowledge of the intruder.  She assessed the threat level and studied the situation carefully.  Not one door showed evidence of a forceful entry.  But how?  Her hand moved to her pocket, feeling the key concealed within.  The doors were on electronic timers.  They locked automatically.  No one got in or out after hours without a key.

It was the transom windows above the doors that drew her attention next.  Sure enough the one above where the man lay in pain remained cracked open.

            Maybe it was out of pure curiosity�" Maybe it was her longing for adventure�" Maybe it was her wish to do good�" Or maybe it was just plain and simple pity�" Whatever the reason, Katherine stepped forward.

            “Don’t move!” Katherine shouted in attempt to sound intimidating.

            The young man’s head shot up to see her.  It was clear he did not expect to be caught like this.  He held up one hand defensive.  “I don’t mean any kind of harm, honest.”

            “What are you doing here?”

            “I… needed a reference on a very specific artifact…  I’m a college student.  I was desperate.”  He bid for time.

            Katherine couldn’t bring herself to believe his story but pretended to give him the benefit of the doubt.  “And the campus library wasn’t good enough for you?”

            “The campus library didn’t have anything of use to me.  It’s too rare an artifact.  Please,” he begged fittingly still on his knees.  “Honestly, I didn’t mean any harm.”

            Katherine stepped closer to him.  The light from the station past the entrance was dim but it was enough to display his features.  Seeing him clearly for the first time, any threat she had been sensing was washed away.  There was something friendly and familiar about him; his worn faded brown leather jacket, his chestnut brown careless hair, and determinedly calm demeanor.

              His eyes were unlike any color she had seen before.  Composed of the softest yet richest blue.  Or perhaps it was just the way they contrasted against the longer strands of shaggy hair that fell across his face.  She extended a hand to him.  “You look hurt.  You okay?”

            He accepted the help to his feet.  He was a few inches taller than she was, and she stepped back so she would not have to lift her head to properly look at him.

            “Thank you.  I’ll be fine.”

            Katherine nodded turning slightly away.

            “Seckuratuhn,” she whispered under her breath.

            The young man cocked his head, clearly confused.  “What?”

            Katherine responded with ignorance.  “What do you mean what?”

            “Did�" you just say something?”

            Katherine shook her head denying the accusation.  She took a few steps backward to her desk.  “Nope.”

            “I could have sworn…”  He proceeded toward her.

            “HOLD IT!”  A sharp bark echoed.  Paul had finally risen to the call of duty.  “You!  Throw some identification over!  Slowly!”  Paul demanded.

            Hands once more in the air, the blue eyed stranger lowered one to his back pocket as demanded to retrieve his ID.  A quick toss later a small billfold flew over and slid the last few feet to Paul.  Paul picked it up never lowering his gun.

            Katherine spoke softly not wishing to overwhelm him.  “Paul, it’s okay.  He’s with me.  He just came to pick me up”

            Both Paul, and the young man, gave her synchronized looks of surprise at her attempt to help him.  His light blue eyes watched her standing coolly strong to her story.  There was no reason he could think of that such a stranger should feel a need to protect him.

            Paul came to a compromise still holding firm to the alleged intruder’s identification cards.  “Alright, Katherine, I’ll believe you.  If… you can tell me you’re friend’s name.”

            Katherine blinked slowly.  She did not waiver but took her time.  She only had one shot at this.  “His name?  Merik.”

            The stranger shot her a look of continued astonishment.  The billfold stayed closed when he had tossed it, he was sure.  She couldn’t have seen what was printed from that distance even if it wasn’t.

            Paul continued to examine the wallet’s contents.  He muttered out the features listed on the identification card trying to find an inconsistency.  Anything to lend credence to his conspiracy theories.  “Brown hair, blue eyes, five foot nine, one hundred seventy four pounds, date of birth eighteen-ninety sev�"  AHA!  This is a fake!  It says here you’re more than a hundred years old!”

            “Paul!”  Katherine scolded feeling it had gone far enough.  “Stop it now.  That’s obviously a misprint.  You’re going to embarrass me in front of my friend.”

            Paul remained tense.  “I heard something before.  He forced his way in here, I know it.  I heard a noise.”

            Merik watched Paul’s eyes move from the doors to the windows above.  His stomach sank certain he was caught.  Katherine’s alibi was good, but the open window was evidence.

            “I dropped my books is all,” Katherine fibbed.  “Really, you’re so good to look out for me like this, but this is all a misunderstanding.  I just forgot to tell you he was coming by.  I’m sorry.”

            Merik looked upward to the transom unable to resist seeing why Paul wasn’t pointing out the evidence.  But he window was latched tight.

            Years of experience and instinct worked against Paul.  Katherine had never met Merik before now, he was certain.  But years of experience had also taught Paul to never argue with a woman that looked that determined.  Katherine was protecting Merik.  Whatever her reason, Paul knew it was a fight he wouldn’t win.  “Alright, if you’re sure then.”

            She smiled relieved to see him put away his sidearm.  “Thank you, Paul.  You’re an angel.  We’re leaving now anyway.  Isn’t that right, Merik?”

            “Uh, yeah.  We have to get going.”  Merik agreed lowering his hands at last.  “It was nice to meet you though.”

            Paul handed the billfold back over with a sneer.  “Sure.  Sorry for the trouble.”

            Merik accepted his wallet back.  “The fault was mine.”

            Katherine grabbed her purse from behind the desk and pushed Merik swiftly out to the el station; away from the security guard’s overactive imagination.  It wasn’t until they were on the platform that she would speak again.

            “Thank you.”  Merik made an attempt at showing gratitude.  “Katherine, is it?”

            She refused an answer.  She did not save him for the purpose of making friends.

            “I’d introduce myself, but it seems you already know my name.”  Merik made light of the circumstances.

            Again no reply followed.

            “So how did you do that?  Guess my name?  It’s not like it’s very common.  It’s not like Joe, or Andy, now is it?”

            “Lucky guess.”  Katherine said shortly.  She was growing annoyed.  “I hope you realize the trouble you could have gotten yourself into just now.”

            “And the window, was that luck too?”  Merik slyly tiptoed.

            “Window?”

            “The one that I fell through breaking in.  It was still open when I hit the ground.”

            “Is that how you got in?  Hrm.  I don’t know.  The air pressure from the subway tunnel must have blown it shut I guess.”

            Merik smiled.  “And latched it?”

            Katherine looked away from him.

            “So, Kat�" How long have you been practicing witchcraft?”

            “I BEG YOUR PARDON!”  Katherine twisted around at him outraged.

            “Oh!  Wow, sorry, sensitive issue, huh?”  Merik apologized.  “I didn’t mean to strike a nerve.”

            Katherine adopted a look of great anguish.  “Just leave me alone.”

            “It was not in my intentions to upset you.  Please, I didn’t mean anything by it.”  Merik sincerely attempted to make amends.

            Katherine squinted.  “That’s an awfully formal way of apologizing to someone like me.”

            “Someone like you?”  Merik was bemused.  “You mean a witch?”

            “Did I say I was a witch?”

            “No.”

            “Then stop calling me one please!” 

            “Alright, I’m sorry.”  Merik continued to find new depths of remorse.  “It may not mean much to you.  I’ve apparently offended you.  Still, for what it’s worth, thank you for what you did for me.”

            “I didn’t do anything.”  Katherine looked down the tunnel anxious for the distant rumble of the train to complete its approach.

            Merik disagreed.  “You convinced your friend to let me go free.  You saved my life in a way.”

            “Saved your life?”  Katherine shied away from his compliments.  “You give me way too much credit.” 

            “Well whether you accept it or not, you have my gratitude,” Merik affirmed.

            The train zipped up to the platform sending a rushing wind to fill the empty station.  Katherine’s silky black hair took flight waving in the breeze that swept past.  Merik watched her with wonder.  He had never met someone so strong willed, independent, and most of all kind.  She was a riddle to him.  He could not understand what could motivate a person to show such compassion for others only to push them away.

Katherine stepped on to the car followed closely by her new companion.  She broke into conversation if only to deter the attention otherwise spent on her magical deeds.  “So, what’s your major?”

            “My major what?”  Merik held tight to a pole refusing a seat.

            Katherine was not so picky about finding a place to sit.  “Your major.  You know… College.”

            Merik’s eyes lit up.  “Oh, right my major.  History.  I’m a history major.”

            Katherine lifted her deep green eyes.  Now she knew he was lying.  She was tempted to ask Merik history of what, but decided it was not her place to push.  Instead she strained a smile and let it go.

            Merik moved for a subject change.  The car was as empty as the station was.  The fluorescent light trim flickered weakly.  “So do you always make a habit of rescuing strangers?”

            Katherine shifted uncomfortably in her hard plastic seat.  “I don’t really come across the need all too frequently.  I help who and when I can.  I promised someone I would once.”

            “And what if I was a robber?”  Merik hypothetically suggested.  He found himself bearing an unexpected measure of concern for her.  He knew all too well what vile things awaited the unsuspecting at night.  “What if I would have tried to hurt you?”

            “You wouldn’t have.”  Katherine looked him straight in the eye.

            “Okay, maybe not me.  But what about the next stranger you try to assist.  A pretty girl like you shouldn’t take chances.”  Merik argued.

            Pretty.  Katherine hadn’t heard that word in a while.  For some unknown reason, hearing Merik use the word did not agree with her.

            “I’ll have you know, I am fairly capable of handling myself.”

            The train’s breaks hissed and squealed as another stop along the route came and went as they argued.

            “I have no doubts of what you’re capable of.”  Merik hinted to the fact that he still suspected her as a witch.

            Katherine sighed.  This conversation was becoming a game of chess, each phrase served as a strategic move.  “My stop is coming up.  What about yours?”

            “I have just a few to go.”

            “Really?  Along this route?”  Katherine dared.  “I didn’t think there were any campuses or student housing districts down that way.  Past my stop I was under the impression the area became somewhat secluded.  Only storehouses.  All commercial zoning.”

            Merik’s mouth went dry.  “I commute.  My family is a bit out of the way, but it’s best for me.”

            “Is that so?”  Katherine grinned.  “Look, I don’t know what it is you’re up too, Merik.  Frankly I don’t care.  It must be important whatever it is if you were willing to take a fall from a window like that.  So I’m willing to make a deal.  I’ll help you, and give you access to the library’s   I won’t pry into your life, if you stay out of mine.  That means you drop the witchcraft nonsense.”

            “Starting tomorrow?” Merik asked eager.  “Would you be willing to stay after hours tomorrow?”

            Katherine thought a moment.  She had naturally already planned on being at the library that evening anyway but hesitation sank in.  “Why does it have to be after hours?  You aren’t trying to steal anything are you?”

            “No.  Just information.  I’ve searched high and low for anything pertaining to an artifact called the Vega Orb,” Merik confessed.  “But that’s the most of what I can tell you about it unfortunately.”

            Katherine was growing tired.  The soft buzzing of the lights, clicking and clanking of the car, and the gentle sway as they zoomed along, served as an odd electric lullaby.  “Fine, tomorrow then.”

            The train cars shuddered and slowed for Katherine’s stop.  “Try and be at the library at least a little before the doors lock tomorrow.”

            Merik nodded watching her stand.  “It’s awfully late.  Would you like me to escort you home?  You shouldn’t be out unprotected.”

            “Escort?”  Katherine returned perplexed.  “I think I can manage.  You talk like it’s the nineteen thirties.  I don’t need a man to protect me.  Like I said, I’m capable of handling myself.”

            “Of course.  Sorry.”  Merik let up.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow.  Remember, before the doors lock.”  Katherine reminded him while stepping off the car.  The doors closed between them, and Katherine proceeded home, alone.



© 2012 Liz Pennies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on December 13, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2012


Author

Liz Pennies
Liz Pennies

Lake Geneva, WI



About
I used to have inner monologue until someone gave me a pen. Now... I have inner dialogue. And a hundred fifty character voices that won't shut up. more..

Writing
Footfalls. Footfalls.

A Story by Liz Pennies


No words. No words.

A Story by Liz Pennies