Chapter Two, “Predators”

Chapter Two, “Predators”

A Chapter by Liz Pennies
"

Katherine has a slip of the tongue that causes her to relive a disturbing experience at the beginning of her employment at the Library. She and Merik have their first study session.

"

Chapter Two

“Predators”

 

 

 

 

 

            Tangled and buried in her bed covers, Katherine’s eyes fluttered.  The realization for where she was came slow.  She knew she was dreaming but like holding a fistful of sand, the harder she tried to recall it, the less she had to hold onto.  Her hair rustled against the heavy down blankets that covered her head.  She pushed them off, while forcing her eyes to focus in the unbearably bright sun that fell across her face.

            She extended her arm to the pull cord of the window blinds.  A few empty grasps of air later, she felt the dainty string slip into the palm of her hand and sent the blinds ratcheting down to a crash.  The digital red numbers of the alarm clock were twice as luminescent now cast in the shade of the window dressing.  Katherine toppled off the edge of her bed, no longer in a subtle daze of consciousness, but wide awake looking at her alarm.  It burned into her steadily showing the time without remorse, six minutes past ten.

            “Damn it!”  Katherine flew to her closet and frantically tossed clothes aside in search for an outfit for work.  She must have slept straight through the radio.  Grasping the first decent garment she could find, she dashed for the bathroom.  By this time every morning she was already boarding the train. 

            She brushed her teeth at the chipped porcelain sink while waiting for the shower water to warm, but it remained stubbornly frigid.

            “Come on.”  She begged, wiggling her fingers beneath the running stream.  She bit her lip in debate.  She tried to make it a rule not to use her powers for personal gain.  Another rule bestowed on her by her brother; never personal gain.  They usually had a way of backfiring besides.

She debated skipping the morning ritual altogether, but even though she couldn’t recall the dream, she felt an unexplained need to wash it off her.  As if she had been vigorously rolling about on a dusty floor.  If she was going to stay after hours with Merik, she needed to feel comfortable.

            Temptation getting the best of her, she summoned her spiritual strength.

                        “It is warmth, that I desire,

                                    to this water, bring a fire.”

Steam.

She slipped her fingers cautiously back into the flow from the faucet and bubbles soon flew as she hurriedly bathed.  It was all about speed now, and small details of her morning ritual would have to be sacrificed or completed en route.

            Unlike the station at the library, the boarding platform near her apartment was outdoors and exposed to the elements.  Her wet hair caught every wisp of the cold fall wind as she tried to fasten it in a clip she had enough sense to grab on her way out the door.  Chilled and frustrated, she wished the train would come.  The bright sunlight that had woken her on her bed had given a false expectation of the weather.

            She pushed her way on amongst she throngs that clambered aboard, while checking the clock.  She was making better time than she had anticipated.  Standing in the warm but crowded subway car, she continued her attempt to wrestle her hair into the clip and found herself repeatedly apologizing to those around her as her elbows kept bumping those around her as she went.  She received looks of annoyance as well as relief by time reaching work, that she and her elbows were leaving.

“Not my best morning,” she muttered to herself stumbling off the car.  But breathe easy she did, thankful to find she was not even a full five minutes late.  With some luck, no one would even realize she was missing.  Katherine stepped through the glass doors, distracted only a fleeting with a glance at the transom windows.  Merik’s image flashed through her mind and a smile on her lips.

            “MISS ARTRIVE!”  A firm voice rang out.

            Katherine spun around to see Mr. Laving, the head of the department.  A plump, short, balding man that had an uncanny ability to fill Katherine with dread by his mere presence.

            “You are late!”

            Katherine tried to defend herself in vain.  “I’m sorry, it wo-”

            “Spare me excuses and apologies.  The Dorseman Facilities hold very little tolerance for such lack of respect.  I’m giving you a warning, young lady.  I don’t ever want to hear of you being late again!”

            “It wasn’t even five minutes.  It was an accident.”  Katherine blinked rapidly.

            “Are you talking back to me?”

            “No, sir.”  Katherine shook her head.

            Mr. Laving continued to lecture her publicly.  “You’re salary?”

            Katherine answered in a whisper.  “Yes, sir.”

            “Do you feel we should pay you for time not spent at work?  That you’re special?  Or owed something more?”  Mr. Laving demanded.  “Do you feel the rules shouldn’t apply to you?”

            “No, sir.”  Katherine replied, avoiding looking him in the eye.

            “You’ll be on time from now on.  Understood?”  Mr. Laving waddled away without waiting for a real answer, his large gut preceding him.

            “Of course.”  Katherine lowered her eyes to the floor.  She knew there would be consequences for Monica chewing out Cindy, who held a very friendly relationship with Mr. Laving.  She no doubt told him all about the scolding.  This was Monica’s Karma coming back to haunt her.

            Katherine walked to her desk, took a seat, placed her things underneath, and hung her head shamefully low.

            Monica rushed over having witnessed Mr. Laving’s temper.  “What the hell was that about?”

            Katherine opened a folder keeping her gaze fixed downward.  “Nothing, I was late.”

            “He could have at least spoken with you in private.  You’ve never been late before now and he just publicly crucified you.”

            Katherine didn’t respond as the last thing she desired was to linger on the embarrassing experience, or Monica’s hypocritical opinion after she had done the same to Cindy the day before.

            Monica did not take Katherine’s hint for silence.  “Besides.  Cindy’s always late.  He seems to get along with her just fine.”

            Katherine briskly flipped a page in her paperwork as her annoyance grew.  “Yeah, well, I guess I’m not as loose as Cindy.”  Katherine’s hands immediately clasped over her own mouth.  She couldn’t believe what had just escaped her own lips.

            Apparently neither could Monica.  “What?”

            With wide shocked green eyes, Katherine lowered her hands and shook her head.  “Nothing.”  She kept high hopes that Monica would not pry further.

            Leaning forward onto Katherine’s counter Monica whispered importantly.  “Katherine, has Mr. Laving made a pass at you?”

            Katherine shook her head unconvincingly.

            “You have to tell someone,” she urged.  “It’s harassment.”

            “No, there’s nothing to tell.  I didn’t mean anything by it.”  She prayed the subject dropped be dropped.

            “I have to go.  I have a group gathering.”  Monica rushed off.  “We’ll talk about this at lunch.”

            Katherine cringed barely hearing her goodbye.  She could only hope Monica would forget the conversation was started at all, but wasn’t about to hold her breath.

            Sometimes Katherine found it hard to believe that she had ever been so naive and innocent minded.  She lacked the wisdom that naturally comes with age and world experience.  The kind of wisdom that should have warned her about Mr. Laving’s character.

            He seemed very kind, and had a smidgen more hair then.  She had failed to see though his pathetic actions in “accidentally” leaving a stack of files on her desk.

            During the odd point in the day when most of the appraisal office personnel was making their way home for the evening and the museum staff was changing shifts for lunches the desk phone rang.  Mr. Laving begged Katherine to bring the files up to his floor.  The rest of his staff was gone and he didn’t have time to personally retrieve them.  She dutifully complied believing his act of desperation.

            Mr. Laving was speaking on the phone when she arrived, having a significantly important sounding conversation.  Keeping up a pretense of demanding responsibility and power, and seemingly preoccupied by the phone, he waved her in with a free hand and silently gestured for her to patiently take a seat.

            Katherine followed orders waiting her turn for his attention.  This was her first time to his office and she was a little awestruck by the spacious beauty it embodied.  It was a venerable gallery as much as it was an office, with many impressive artifacts prominently displayed of Mr. Laving’s personal collection.  Seated on the leather couch that Mr. Laving had gestured to, she continued to admire the objects from afar, trying not to eavesdrop upon his phone call.  It was with extreme difficulty not to however as Mr. Laving continually raised the volume of his voice, speaking pointedly into the receiver to draw her attention.  He continued to negotiate with the phantom party on the other end of the line, pretending to ignore her arrival.

            “Look, Bob, I know it’s past deadline, but it’s worth the wait- No that’s not- Well that’s all I’m saying buddy, come on, you know me.  Have I ever let you down?- Yeah fine, that’s fine- Hey great, see you next week at the course then?- I’ll have my secretary let you know what time we tee off.  Alright.-  Bye, Bob.”

            Katherine waited for the click of the receiver.  The stack of files resting neatly on her lap.

            “Miss Artrive.”  He stood up.  “Thank you so much for bringing those up here.  With everyone out for the day, I’m afraid I was in a bit of a bind.”

            “Oh, no problem.”  Katherine began to stand to hand them to him.  “I was on my way to lunch anyway.”

            “Please, Miss Artrive.”  He raised a hand wishing her to remain seated.  “May I call you Katherine?”

            Katherine sat back down still holding the papers that were claimed to be so urgently needed.  “Um… sure.”

            “Katherine, I really am grateful.”  Mr. Laving took the seat next to her.  “You show real initiative.  Truly going above and beyond the call of duty, and you’ve only been here what, a month?”

            “Really, Mr. Laving, you’re making too much out of this.  They’re just files.”  Katherine handed them over.

            Mr. Laving set them aside.  “Oh no.  This is about much more than files.  It’s about commitment to a job well done.  I mean, just one month on the job.  My, my, and I feel as though I already know you so well.”

            Katherine noticed Mr. Laving’s advance to pat her knee.  “Really?  That’s nice, but I’m afraid I don’t quite feel the same.”

            “Well,” Mr. Laving started precariously, while caressing her leg.  “Maybe we should take time to get more acquainted.”

            Katherine tensed leaning back to put space between them as he failed to remove his sweaty palm from her nylon covered skin.  “I think I should get back to the desk before I’m missed.”

            “I don’t see any rush.  Didn’t you say you were about to take lunch?  No one would be missing you back for at least half an hour.”

            “No, I mean, I did, but I�"”

            “Shh,” Mr. Laving leaned in cornering her.  His hand snaked up her side.

            “Mr. Laving, let me go back to work please,” Katherine flatly demanded.

            “Call me Dan.”  Mr. Laving’s hand slid further up under her blouse until she could feel it cupping her breast.

            Katherine began to struggle warning him in a fiery tone.  “Mr. Laving, you will keep your distance!”

            His advances became more agressive as she struggled.  His full weight pinned her down helplessly sinking her into the squeaky leather cushions.

            “I Said No!”  She made a muffled cry.  A heavy smack fell upon her face, as she continued to fight.  With no sign of retreat a dreaded necessity to resort to magical assistance filled her.

            “INVERATUM!”

            In a flash and a whirl Mr. Laving found himself hanging upside down by his ankles in mid air.  “What, What’s happening?  Ahh!�" What is this?”  He panicked as he struggled against his invisible binds.  “What’s happening to me?”

“Oh!  Ok….  ”  Katherine shakily collected herself leaving him hang.  “Calm down.”  She said it as much to herself as she did to him.

“You�" You’re doing this!  You are, aren’t you!?”  Mr. Laving continued to flail about.

            Katherine took a moment to fix her blouse and hair with trembling hands.  “It would be best if you learned that when a girl says no she means it!”

            “You ARE doing this!  You�" You’re a witch!”

            “N-no.  I um�"”

            “Let me down!  You are so fired!”  Mr. Laving thrashed about trying to anchor onto anything in reach.  “Witch!”

For the first time since she had entered the office Katherine truly looked furious.  “DON’T call me that!”

            His face began to flush from the extra blood that rushed to his head.  “Let me down!”

            “Okay…  We can fix this.  I can fix this.”  Katherine sat back down rubbing her cheek where he had hit her.

            “I said let me down!”

            “I just have to think…”  Katherine shuddered.  “You can’t tell anyone about this.  If I let you down, you can’t tell anyone.”

            “I don’t make deals with the likes of you.”  He thrashed, determined to free himself.

            “The likes of me?  And by that do you mean a woman, or a witch?”  Katherine waited patiently for her manager to calm himself.  “Think this through, if you tell anyone about me, what’s to keep me telling anyone about you?”

            His face now a deep purple color, he succumbed to his magical binds.  “It’s your word against mine.”  Mr. Laving also crossed his arms stubbornly, pinning his tie to his large belly.

            “Yes.  And magic powers is so very believable.”  Katherine bluffed.  She knew that though many had misconceptions of witchcraft, even the practitioners without her abilities were just as feared.  Reputation was everything and no one even had to fully believe what Mr. Laving would say to make them look at her questioningly.

“You can’t keep me hanging here forever.”

            “I was afraid you would say that.”  Katherine sighed disappointed.  She leaned forward.  “Sorry ‘bout this, but you’re leaving me no choice.”

“HAIR!”

            “OW!”  Mr. Laving’s tie fell in front of his face again as his hands soothed a now slightly balder patch of scalp.  “You crazy b***h!”

            Katherine held a welcoming hand out for the few strands that had escaped their former place atop his head.  She rolled her eyes.  “You smack a woman across the face and you’re going to cry over a little hair?”  She pulled out a couple of her own hairs with less strife.  Nervously tying them around his she carefully muttered under her breath too soft for him to hear.

            “What are you doing now?”  Mr. Laving demanded.  His finger tips brushed the carpet trying to gain leverage.  “Stop that!  What are you doing?”

            “Just- a simple- binding spell.”  Katherine used every ounce of concentration to tie the lock of hair in her palm.  “H-mmm.  I need…  Ah, perfect.”

            “Hey, get away from that!”  Mr. Laving pushed against the carpet to pivot himself in the direction she walked.  “That’s expensive!”

            Katherine pulled a small shinning black bowl from a display.  Tossing the hair in, she muttered under her breath again ignoring all objections.  A puff of smoke and flame erupted and it was done.

            A heavy crash thundered from behind her.

            “Oomph!”  Mr. Laving lay crumpled on the floor.  “What- what was that?  What did you just do?”

            “Mr. Laving, take my advice.  Don’t try and tell anyone about what happened here today.”  Katherine placed the bowl back.  “You will only look foolish.  I’ve bound you in secrecy.  Try all you want, the words will never leave your lips, the ink will never touch paper.”

            “Oh that’s rich.”  Mr. Laving pushed himself up.  “And what if I just have you fired?”

            “For what?”  Katherine challenged.

            “If you tell anyone about�"”

            “What a perverted pig you are?”  Katherine finished.  “Don’t worry, Mr. Laving.  That secret stays up here as well unfortunately.   Magic is about balance.  That spell is at a price.  As long as I keep these events a secret, so will you.  It’s a fair trade, I keep your offense a secret, you will keep mine.  This never happened.  Have a good day Mr. Laving.”

“Hey.”  Mr. Laving called after her.  “Hey, wait!”

            “Hey!”  Monica snapped her fingers in front of Katherine’s face.  “I said, are you ready for lunch?”

            Katherine came out of her daydream with a rude shock.  “What?  Lunch?”

            “Yeah lunch.  You know, that meal between breakfast and dinner?”  Monica raised an eyebrow.  “You feeling okay?”

            Was it really time for lunch already?  “Is Cindy here?”

            “She’s putting away a rack of books.”  Monica narrowed her eyes on Katherine.  “You didn’t notice her come in?”

            Katherine turned about to see Cindy’s red hair bob between the shelves around the edge of the wall.  How could she have lost touch with reality for that long?  She cupped her head in her hands.

            “You and your books.  Just how late did you stay out last night?”

            Katherine grabbed her purse and made for the food court attempting to hide her embarrassment.  “It’s a long story.”

            Eating their usual meal, sitting at their usual table, Katherine indulged Monica with the events of the prior evening.  In a way she was grateful to have something to occupy her friend’s attention.  It kept unwanted questions about Mr. Laving at bay.  It came as no surprise of course that Monica found her story so fascinating.  She always did have a mind set for any topic involving boys.  Omitting the role that witchcraft played, Merik’s break-in was a captivating tale for Monica none-the-less.

            “He’s lucky Paul didn’t shoot him.”  Monica commented after Katherine finished the story.  “So what then, you’re just going to sit here after hours all alone with some stranger?  I never knew you had such a dangerous side.”

            “I would hardly call him dangerous,” Katherine argued.  “He did have an odd habit to him though; a very old fashioned, almost chivalrous, demeanor.  I don’t know, it’s hard to explain.  Nothing he did or said so much, but more the like vibe I got from him.  Like the energy around him, or something.”

            “Aura?”  Monica took another bite but covered her mouth with dainty fingers as she chewed.  “Is that what you mean?”

            “No!”  Katherine snapped.

            “Boy are you cranky when you’re tired.”  Monica took slight offense.  “You could be a little more open minded to that kind of thing you know.  It is post seventies.”

            “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it that way.  Yeah, I guess you could call it his aura,” Katherine apologized.

            “It’s probably just his name anyway.  It sounds old.”  Monica went on picking pieces of carrot out of her rice.  “What kind of name is Merik anyway?”

            “I don’t know.  Maybe he’s named after his great grandfather or something.  Still, it seems familiar, doesn’t it?”

            “Not really.”  Monica shrugged.  “I had a great uncle named Mirk when I was a kid.  Or was it Mark?  Either way I never heard ‘Merik’ before.  Maybe you read it in one of those books you always have your nose stuck in.”

            “Maybe.”  Katherine frowned a little.

            “So what does he look like anyway?  You said he was in college right?  Is he hot?”

            Katherine picked at her food unenthused.  “Is that all you think about?”

            “I just want a face to put to the name.  Nothing wrong with that is there?  Besides I’m afraid you may be falling for the little criminal.”

            “He isn’t a criminal.”  Katherine rolled her eyes.

            “Breaking and entering?  Sounds like a bad boy to me.”  Her tone changed, coy and flirtatious, “So-o-o… What’s he look like?”

            “Um, brown hair, blue eyes, kinda messy, about six foot�"”

            “Wow, thanks for the mug shot.  Come on, get some detail in.”  Monica pushed her tray aside excited.

            Katherine had a vivid picture of Merik in her mind but until now it was her picture alone.  She felt a selfish urge to protect that mental snapshot and keep it all to herself, but there was no refusing that eager look.  “Okay, he had a very orderly look.  He had a clean shave, and his clothes were very…  It’s hard to explain.  Like he took time in picking out his outfit.  But they weren’t fancy clothes, or even very new looking.  He wore a suede leather jacket and faded jeans.  And his hair was kind of messy.  I don’t think he purposely styles his hair to look that way, but is just lucky enough to have hair that naturally looks good like that.  That’s about it.”

            “What kind of build?”

            Katherine surrendered.  “Athletic I guess.” 

            Monica grimaced.  “Like football athletic, or track star?”

            “I don’t know, he has some muscles�" what’s the difference?”  Katherine asked.

            “Track stars can have muscle, but all that running, too skinny.  Football, too big, they put on all that extra fat for padding.”

            “You’re deranged.”  Katherine defined exasperated, “Soccer player athletic, how’s that?” 

            “… Goalie or forward?”  Monica caught a look of disbelief.  “What?  I’m just trying to figure out if he’s a fatty.”

            “No, he’s not fat.  Would he have got through the window if he was out of shape?”  Katherine laid the topic to rest.

            “Hmm.”  Monica bit her bottom lip in thought.  “Well, I still think your inviting danger.  I better meet this mystery man of yours before you sit all alone and vulnerable with him.”

            “Oh no, Monica, you don’t have too.  Really it isn’t nec�"”

            “Don’t worry.  I just want to put him to the old ‘Monica’ test.  If he really is just interested in studying, he’ll pass with flying colors.”  She finished with a wink.

            “Really, Monica, please, Paul will be here and you know how protective he is.  There’s no need.”

            “You really think I would leave my friend’s safety up to that senile clown?”  Monica cleared the table taking Katherine’s unfinished tray too.

            Katherine simply gave a hungry stare after her quickly vanishing food and shrugged.  She was not going to waste the time and energy arguing.

The rest of the day dragged after lunch.  Katherine found herself continually watching the ever slower moving clock with fatigue.  At last it was approaching the final tour and long awaited locking of the doors.  She had given her daily apology to Mr. Andrews and had put away the last of the books.  Cindy, to Katherine’s relief, left early for the day.  Now with the quiet remainder of time she was able to compile the list of books she promised for Merik.

            “Miss Katherine,” Paul tipped his cap greeting her.

            Katherine stopped mid-step on her way to the reception desk computer.  “Oh, Paul, hello.  I’ve been meaning to speak with you today.”

            Paul showed a broad smile plainly.  “Can’t say I’m surprised.  I do hope all went well with your friend last night.  I was a tad worried to tell ya the truth.  Young girls can find themselves in some sticky spots sometimes.”

            Katherine smiled flattered.  “It really is sweet of you to look out for me, Paul.  I’m sorry about all the confusion.  I just forgot to tell you he was coming by.”

            “Oh, no, Miss Katherine, I’m the one who should be sorry.  I guess I’m just an overzealous old fool.”  He patted his side arm lightly.  “I hope I didn’t scare him off.”

            “On the contrary, he’ll be coming by tonight.  He’s helping me with some research.  That’s why I’ve been meaning to have a word with you.  I didn’t want to surprise you again, and of course, I take full responsibility for his presence here.”

            “You needn’t say more.  Anything for you, Sugar.  But you remember if you need me I’ll come a runnin’.  Strange boys aren’t to be trusted any further than you can throw ’em.”  Paul tipped his hat again excusing himself.  “Just do me a favor and try and stay toward the reading area where the camera’s can see ya too.  You know the lobby cameras have been broken for more than a year.  Damn cheapskates.”

            “Thank you, Paul.  We will.”  Katherine gave an appreciative grin.

            She always related best to Paul out of her associates.  Most were put off by his long winded stories and old world demeanor, but she often found his yarns fascinating.  She had listened with such interest, so many evenings, she felt she knew his family as her own from the stories coupled with the proud display of photos in his wallet.  Paul always dramatized everything finding adventure in the most simplistic situations.  A result, Katherine assumed, of a life of mediocrity.  Paul always seemed to be waiting for some bracing event that would change his life forever.  They were kindred spirits in that respect.

            Her talents as a witch always inspired her to think there was some higher calling she was missing.  That she was meant for something grand.  Something right in front of her, and maybe if she tilted her head at just the right angle she would finally be able to see it.  But now after knowing Paul she questioned if she was merely destined to become an elderly woman, sitting in the same library with an empty photo booklet.  Time, in a way, seemed to be running out despite her youth.  How many insignificant stories would she spout to an uninterested audience?

            “So is he here yet?”

            For the second time that day Monica had brought Katherine back from her daydream like gaze.

            “Who?”

            “Santa Clause,” Monica droned.  “Who do you think?”

            Katherine looked around at the last few straggling patrons on their way out.  Beyond the glass barriers she spotted him weaving through the crowd that was trying to get on the train as he was stepping off.  She nodded to the young man walking against the flow.

Monica straightened.  “Oh my, he is a handsome one.”

            Katherine buried her nose in the random files, pretending not to care that Monica was about to seduce him away, or that she found his beat sued jacket and careless umber hair sexy.

            Monica had already rushed off to greet him.  Her high heels steadily clicked her into his direction.  “You must be Katherine’s friend,” she pounced holding out a welcoming hand.  “I’m Monica.  It’s so nice to meet you.”

            “Um, hi.”  Merik gave a polite brisk shake before blowing past her.  It seemed clear his destination was strictly Katherine’s counter.  “So did you find anything?”

            Katherine slapped down the list of reference books she had found in front of him without a word.

            Monica pushed herself between them undeterred.  “Maybe I can help?”  She leaned backward against the counter arching her back slightly.  She paused dramatically taking time to lick her lips.  “If you just told me what you were looking for.  My shift is over.  Perhaps I could be of some… assistance, to you?”

            Merik was dumbfounded by Monica’s behavior.  He watched her unfasten the two uppermost buttons of her blouse to reveal a glimpse of cleavage.  “Um, no really, thanks though.”

            Showing clear dismay, as well as a little injury, Monica allowed him to duck around her once again dismissing her blatant advances.

            “Ladies and Gentlemen,” a prerecorded message sounded out in mellow tones.  “The Dorseman Research and Learning Center thanks you for your patronage.  All exits will be sealed in five minutes.  Please proceed to an exit now.  Again, thank you and enjoy your evening.”

            “Well, I guess I better go.”  Monica sneered fixing the collar of her blouse.

            As much as Katherine admired Monica’s bold attitude, she had to suppress a small grin that Merik brushed her off so easily.  “Bye, Monica.”

            Monica gave a casual wave backward while strutting to the doors.

            Katherine waited for the scent of Monica’s heavy perfume to dissipate before safely emerging from her imaginary paperwork.  With substantial relief to see her backside, she moved on with her plans for the evening.

            Merik chased after her into the reading area with a firm grip on the list he was given.

            “I sighted the texts that should help you and where to find them all.  It isn’t much I’m afraid.  You were right when you said The Vega Orb was a rare find.  If you need help finding something I’ll be around.”  She hoped he would take the hint to stop following her.

            “Is she always like that?”  Merik asked.

            “Monica?”  Katherine weaved around a table hoping to put some distance between them.  “Yeah, sorry about that.  She’s- Unique.  And fair warning for your next encounter with her, she thinks you’re gay.”

            “Who said I’m not?”  Merik shrugged.
            Katherine shook her head.  “You’re not.”
            “And you would know that how?”

            “You’re right, I guess I don’t.  Don’t really care either,” Katherine stated, plainly weaving around another large table without results.  Despite her efforts he remained in fluent pursuit.  “Feel free to sit wherever you like.”

            Merik refused to take the cue.  “I’d like to sit by you.”

            “Except there,” Katherine objected, reaching to a shelf.  She snatched a book down before Merik could read the title.

            “Why not?” Merik pressed.

            Katherine held her book awkwardly to conceal its cover.  “I have research of my own to do.  I need to concentrate.”

            “What is it that you’re doing here so late every night?”  Merik took a more direct route causing her to freeze mid-reach toward another shelf.  Merik’s eyes moved between her hand and the next text it was stretched towards.

            “We had a deal, didn’t we?”  Katherine didn’t back down.  She, in fact, refused to move at all.  The book she held seemed very heavy.  “You stick to your business, I stick to mine, and I give you access to my books.  That was the bargain wasn’t it?”

            “Your books?”  Merik challenged.  “I thought this place was open to the public.”

            The large fluorescent lights overhead powered off casting them in a silent darkness.  Katherine immediately abandoned her reach for the second text and felt around a study table for a desk lamp.  With a mild tic their nearby surroundings were illuminated once again with an added orange tinted glow.  “Until Eight p.m. anyone who wishes is allowed to read and learn all they wish.  After hours this is my place, get it?  Or would you rather Paul escort you out?”

            Merik chuckled lightly, finding Katherine’s temper amusing.  “I was just curious what you were reading.  What’s so personal about that?”  He pulled down the book she had abandoned her reach for and started flipping through pages.  “Unless, of course, you were reading about certain supernatural tendencies you’re inclined too.”

            She snatched it out of his hand.  “Get Out!”

            “Will you relax?”  Merik pleaded.  “What happened to make you so jittery all the time?”

            “Out!”  Katherine repeated sternly pointing toward the doors.

            Merik sat instead seeming very relaxed.  “Would it really upset you so much if I said I know all about you, and what you can do?”

            “Oh, I doubt that!  OUT!”

            “No.  You’re blowing this way out of proportion.”  Merik pleaded.  “It’s obvious I don’t care that you’re a witch.  So why do you care?”

            Katherine sat down exhausted.  She hadn’t the strength to argue with someone that saw through her so easily.  “Look, I don’t like talking about this okay?  People don’t understand what it is I do, and certainly do not tolerate it.”

            “Try me.”  Merik was confident he could handle anything this young girl was capable of.

            “Sure, I’ve heard that before.  You think magic powers are all fun and games now, but when you actually witness it you freak out.  My entire family thinks magic is evil and unnatural, and therefore so am I.  Doing magic makes me some kind of demon and certainly not welcome around them.”  Katherine’s voice was full of resentment.

            “Wow, Kat, I’m sorry.  I didn’t know.”  Merik rushed to respond sympathetically.  “That’s really closed minded of them.  But give me a little credit.  It’s not like you’re the first witch I’ve met.”

            Katherine’s curiosity began to grow.  She couldn’t sense any magic in him.  But maybe he was hiding it.  A cloaking spell?  If so, it was a good one.  “So, what, are you, a- a-”

            Merik finished quizzically.  “Warlock?”

            “I’ll take that as a no then.”  Katherine rested her chin on her arms in mild disappointment.

            “Why would that make you assume no?”

            Katherine went on to answer lifting her head only enough for her words to come out clearly.  “The same reason I know you aren’t in college.  No self respecting historian would refer to their major as simply “history” the way you did last night.  It’s ‘Art History’ or ‘European Revolutionary Studies;’ something like that.  There’s always a field of expertise historians like to brag on about.  Just like no one with an ounce of magical knowledge would refer to themselves as a warlock.  ‘Warlock’ isn’t a good term, or anything to be proud of.  Sorcerer or wizard or mage, may be better terms to remember.”

            “I didn’t realize I was so transparent.”  Merik fumbled with the ever rattier looking list.  “Well, you’re right.  I don’t mess with magic anymore than I attend a university.  I confess.  That’s why I need your help.”

            “My help?”  Katherine raised an eyebrow.

            Merik studied Katherine with caution.  “I thought maybe, with it being a magical talisman… and you… being a…”  Merik stopped when Katherine gave a small cringe in her seat.  “I need someone I can trust that knows a thing or two about magic.”

            He trusted her?  Katherine left her head low trying to escape Merik’s azure gaze.  Why couldn’t she just read her books in peace?

“Alright,” she conceded with frustration.  “I’ll help.”

            “You’re sure?  I’m not going to force you, you know.”

            “It’s a little late for that, Merik.”  Katherine had almost forgotten her motives for offering to help to begin with. She pushed the book she had gotten earlier further away.  “Forget it.  I’ll help.”

            “Thank you, Kat.  Thank you so much.  You have no idea how grateful I am.  And I hope by the end of this you’ll realize not everyone is going to judge you for your magic.  At very least, I never will.”

Katherine laughed.  “Merik, what is it exactly that you’ve seen others do?  Play light as a feather stiff as a board, or pour wax in water, I suppose?  That’s not what I do.  If you saw the things I’m capable of you’d do the same as the rest; run.”

            “Kat�"”  Merik’s heart went out to her.  A longing to comfort her tugged at his conscience, but he couldn’t.  It was possible he had already said far too much.  “I’m sorry.”

            “Merik, please, I’m tired.  Don’t ask anymore.”  She clasped a tender hand over the fist that contained what was left of the list.  “You aren’t forcing me.  If I can help, I’ll help.  It’s my own choice to do so.  I just…  I want to keep some things to myself, alright?”

            “You’re being very generous.  Thank you.”  Merik’s soft voice barely made it to her ears.  “I’ll… go get the books.”

            He took a last glance back at the girl sitting alone in the dim lamp light.  He could relate all too well to her pain and feeling isolated from the world around her.  Temptation to share his own secrets crept up inside him.  Guilt mounted on his journey to the inky corners of the room to find the components of his list.  He had no right to ask so many of her secrets when his own could never be shared.  No matter how much comfort it might bring, to either of them, he could not give in to his own unexpected urge to tell all.

            Merik knew he had to snap himself out of it.  This was not the time to allow attractive distractions.  “She’s just a girl,” he told himself.  “A stupid girl.”

            He had never experienced this dilemma before.  Why now, he wondered?  When other such pressing matters were on his mind?  A strong focus on the objective must be maintained.  He knew very few people in the world had the privilege of knowing his breed of secrets.  This girl, he was sure, was not one of them.  In fact if anyone knew even of his very temptation the results could be disastrous.

            Katherine observed him diffidently as he returned from the shadows with his filled list.  “That was fast for finding them in the dark.”

            Merik looked over his shoulder in the direction he had come from and froze.  His first major distracted mistake.  He couldn’t believe his lack of focus caused him to forget to turn on a single lamp.  “I�" it�" my eyes adjust fast.”

            Katherine pulled the top book off the pile he had set down.  It gave a heavy thump as it hit the wood table top and slid her way.  Silently she cracked it open to the index to find the pages she needed.

            Neither spoke as they did their research.  They calm library was interrupted only with the occasional rumble of the subway, or singing flip of a turning page.  Hours went by in this fashion until Katherine finally began to feel warm and dreamy under the bask of orange light.  Her hand pressed firmly to her face supporting her.  Too exhausted to continue after skimming hundreds of lines she slammed the cover shut with a thunderous echo off their empty surroundings.

            Merik lifted his focus from his page across the table.  “You’re tired, aren’t you?  It’s getting late.  We can go if you like.”

            Katherine yawned. “Aren’t you tired?”

            Merik gave an uncertain shrug.  “I’m a bit of a night owl.”

            “Well, I’ve found next to nothing.  It looks like it wasn’t known as the Vega Orb until the late eighteen hundreds when it was purchased by the Vega family.”  She recapped her findings, ready to call it a night.  “I guess it’s kind of like the Hope Diamond.  It’s just a name that stuck.  The best I can tell is that this orb thing has something to do with time.”

            Merik was wide awake now staring hungrily for more.  “That’s brilliant.  How’d you come up with that?”

            “A couple of the books made a reference to the orb in Latin, Puerta Tempus, and there was one inscription I found an old English quote, ‘Tima Gat.’  Roughly translated in each language it meant ‘time gate.’”

            “Time gate,” Merik carefully repeated while closing his book.  “It’s a definite start.  Did it say anything else about the Vega Family?”

            “Not much.  They came from somewhere out east, but eventually settled out this way.  But this was a popular area to expand to back then.”  Katherine didn’t waste time clearing the table while she answered.  She was eager to get home to her bed.  Merik held tight, playing tug of war with the last tome she tried to collect.

            “So…”  Merik allowed her to rip his book away.  “Tomorrow then?”

            “No.”  Katherine exhaled lifting the stack into her arms.  “I’ll put these aside for us.”

            “There will be a next time then?”  Merik stood.

            “Yes.”  Katherine began walking away leaving him behind at the empty table.  “Turn off the light.”

            Merik did as he was told and pursued her to the entrance hastily.  “But not tomorrow?”

            “No.”

            Merik felt he was losing ground again hoped a second apology would soften her mood.  “When I said I was sorry earlier I meant it, you know.  I am.”

            “It’s fine,” Katherine huffed.

            “Are you sure?  I mean, you still seem pretty ups�"”

            “The next day I work is Friday.”  Katherine spoke in a forced casual voice securing the stack of texts under her desk.  “That’s if you don’t have any plans.  I know it’s a popular evening to go out with friends.”

            “I’m free,” Merik assured.  “That is, if you are.”

            The corner of Katherine’s mouth made a solemn twitch.  “I’m always free on Fridays.”

            Merik allowed her to blow past him to the doors.  “You know Katherine.  It isn’t healthy.  Locking so much up never is.”

            Katherine stopped, allowing him to catch up behind her.

            He continued to speak, slow and soft.  “I’m sorry I pried.  I am.  Everyone has the right to their secrets, and I won’t force you to share.  I don’t want to make you talk about anything you don’t want to, but I would listen.  If you ever change your mind and need someone to, I would listen.”

            Katherine wasn’t sure exactly how to react at first.  She sighed at what she perceived as this strangers naivety.  “I appreciate it Merik, and I’ll keep it in mind.  And maybe, someday, you’ll trust me enough to share your secret too.”

            Merik heard Katherine’s challenge loud and clear.

            “After all,” Katherine added.  “We all have secrets, right?”

            Merik denied any response aside from a stunned expression, afraid to open his mouth for what may come out of it.



© 2012 Liz Pennies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perhaps, the sheer length and level of detail in this chapter is a good indication that the story has potential? Whilst reading, I found that the protagonist Katherine seemed quite real and easy to empathise with. The only significant weakness for me, was that relatively little is said about what defines a witch or vampire in the context of this story. Howver, that is probably mainly due to not having read the entire story? Or, is the writer making a point of how very human or ordinary the main characters really are -despite the supernatural connotations? Keep writing, and thankyou for sharing this! Pretty good, from what I have read, so far..!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on January 3, 2011
Last Updated on April 2, 2012
Tags: Vampire, Witches


Author

Liz Pennies
Liz Pennies

Lake Geneva, WI



About
I used to have inner monologue until someone gave me a pen. Now... I have inner dialogue. And a hundred fifty character voices that won't shut up. more..

Writing
Footfalls. Footfalls.

A Story by Liz Pennies


No words. No words.

A Story by Liz Pennies