Claire

Claire

A Story by Jason Scott
"

A middle aged woman is stood up on a date. But then is romanced by a much younger man.

"

CLAIRE



Claire let out a sigh. It was becoming apparent he wasn't going to show. She checked the time on her cell phone, it was getting late. Was he going to call? They had hit it off so well with their long conversations on the phone. She had felt a spark or so she thought. Mike, her would be date. Had even picked out a good location for their first date. A quaint lonely little bistro. There was only one other patron in the place. A young man, maybe about 25. Claire thought she might know him from somewhere but couldn't be sure. He looked up at her and offered a friendly smile before getting back to his laptop. But where would she know a guy over 15 years younger than her anyway?


Claire took a big gulp from her latte and grimaced. The syrup from the sugary concoction had settled to the bottom. Claire glanced out the window and noticed it was beginning to get dark. How long had she been waiting? As Claire stared out the window and into the encroaching darkness she caught her reflection. She was surprised to see a much older woman staring back at her. Claire touched her face, almost disbelieving what she saw. Her radiant youthful beauty had begun to fade. Wrinkles and lines had began to obtrude upon her soft delicate features. She wondered when did this happen?


Can I get you anything else? Claire's train of thought was suddenly broken. Claire looked up at the aging but friendly waitress. No, I am good answered Claire listlessly. Her phone vibrated, it was a text from her best friend hoping she was having a good time and reminding her to call right after. Becky. She had already found her Prince Charming years ago. Claire was the only one still single out of her tight knit group of girlfriends. Even so,despite their kids, vacations, and romantic interludes with their husbands, they always had time for Claire. But the frustration was beginning to set in. She was a well educated, successful and professional. And she looked damn good for 43. Damn good for 33 her friend Becky would often point out. Claire smiled to herself. But the smile faded away as she thought about how many years Becky had been using that little in joke with her. Was it 5, 6, maybe 7? Not wanting to be reminded how long she had been alone Claire began to gather her things.


Can I get you anything? It was the young man who had been siting at the other end of the bistro. Claire was a bit startled and a little flattered. No thank you, but that is very sweet of you. She said with a smile. I am glad you like sweet. Answered the young man returning her smile. As if on cue the waitress appeared with a heaping portion of strawberry meringue galette. Now you don't expect me to eat all of this by myself do you? Amused and exasperated Claire sat back down. This looks really fattening she giggled.


Oh let me introduce myself. I am Ryan. I am Claire. His handshake was firm and sincere. Where did you learn to speak French? I teach it. Wait, how did you know that? Claire asked somewhat suspiciously. Ryan pointed out the large French menu on her table. Oh right. Do you speak it? Ryan answered Je ne parle pas Francais. Claire laughed out loud. You really butchered that. I could barely understand you. Ryan only smiled back. I see you are a well educated women. I speak and teach German as well. Bragging now are we? Claire could not help but laugh.


As their conversation continued Claire could not escape the nagging feeling she knew Ryan from somewhere. It was in large part due to his appearance and mannerisms. It was his warm and friendly demeanor. His boyish good looks still lingered even though he was a young man. Claire was really enjoying the conversation with the charming young man when she suddenly blurted out. Don't I know you from somewhere? I am sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt you and I know that sounds stupid. Not at all. Maybe I just remind you of someone from your past said Ryan with a shrug of his shoulders.


A lively romantic little ditty began to play throughout the bistro. Ryan promptly stood up and bowed May I have this dance? Can you dance? Asked Claire teasingly. About as good as I can speak French. Claire laughed again as she stood up and took his hand. Ryan took the lead. He wasn't much of a dancer, he knew it, and he didn't care. His persona was filled to the hilt with confidence. Claire was surprised he didn't step on her toes. He set her back down in her chair with a unbridled grace.


They carried on their conversation a little more until they both acknowledged it was getting pretty late. Ryan offered to walk Claire to her car. He thanked her for the wonderful evening they shared. Leaning in close he took her hand and gave it a slight squeeze before telling her good night.


Claire felt invigorated. This young man had renewed her self confidence and her self worth. Imbued with a refreshing rush of energy Claire headed home. She couldn't wait to tell her girlfriends about her night out.





This is a rather simple and straight forward story. Ryan is meant to symbolize a love interest she could have ended up with in her younger days. Hence her thinking she knows him from somewhere. But she is mostly oblivious to this because as a young woman she was more of a free spirit, a bit wild, and a little promiscuous. 


When Claire stares out the window and notices it is getting dark. The darkness is meant to symbolize two things. 1. She is getting older and her beauty is fading, which is obvious. 2. The fading daylight and approaching darkness means that her opportunities to find someone is also fading away.  




© 2019 Jason Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on October 26, 2019
Last Updated on October 26, 2019
Tags: Date, middle age, single, stood up, romance

Author

Jason Scott
Jason Scott

St. Petersburg, FL



About
I enjoy short story writing. I welcome criticism. I simply want to share my writing. I initially started posting short stories on Facebook that I called "Snipits" Because they were VERY short in lengt.. more..

Writing
Hero Hero

A Story by Jason Scott