Lady of the Lake

Lady of the Lake

A Story by Jason Scott
"

A woman takes her life when her lovers life is lost. But she then falls for someone among the living.

"

LADY OF THE LAKE





She stood on the edge of the cliff overlooking the lake. It was beautiful and serene. The wind whirled her red hair around her face. Allowing only for the briefest of glimpses of her dark brown eyes. Her lover was gone. His life lost in a senseless war. Her sorrow was great. Her heart was plagued by gray clouds and down pours that would not cease. She stepped closer to the edge, sending a tiny avalanche of pebbles into the lake below her. The memory of her loss echoed relentlessly in her mind, offering her no respite. She stepped off the edge of the cliff and the world rushed around her. She smiled as she met the beautiful tranquil lake.

Many years had passed since she took her life. She was tormented by heart broken loneliness. Over the years she seen numerous people pass by the lake she haunted. But then one day she saw a man who lifted her burden of sorrow away.

Eric was a moderately experienced hiker. But today he was feeling especially brash. He ventured deeper into the woods than he ever had before. A courage emboldened by the recklessness of youth. He trekked for miles when he happened to come upon a lake, seemingly untouched. It was beautiful and peaceful. Eric figured this would be the perfect spot to set up camp for the night.

Many people had passed by her lake over time. But this man was different. He was a beautiful man. Dirty blonde hair and deep blue eyes. A rugged and handsome face. A strong sturdy build. She watched him drift off to sleep. But his slumber would be restless.

She came to him in what appeared to be a dream. She drifted around him before coming in close. She wrapped her lifeless arms around him. Her cold bony fingers dug into his flesh. She embraced him tightly. He was so warm, so strong, so alive. She rest her lifeless decayed cheek upon his. His breath was warm and sweet, the breath of life. While hers was foul. The putrid stench of decay, of death.

He awoke with a start. Confused over what he thought to be a dream. The rancid pungent odor of death hung faintly in the air. He reasoned it was likely the corpse of a dead animal near by. He wondered why he hadn't noticed earlier. Eric managed to quickly fall back to sleep. She watched him from afar. She would no longer disturb the slumber of her new lover.

Eric awoke early the next morning. The sun was just coming up. Spilling it's mellow orange sunshine through the trees. Eric disrobed and stepped into the lake to bathe. The water was cool and crisp. It was refreshing and he felt invigorated. He waded in up to his chest, and that is when he saw her. A beautiful woman with brilliant red hair swirling about her face. Shocked Eric immediately dove in to save her. But there was nothing there. Confused Eric broke the surface of the water and frantically looked around. He saw her again and cautiously waded over to her. As he drew near she suddenly opened her eyes. Startled Eric reached out to her. She grasped his hand fast and pulled him in.

She embraced him again, like a lover. She spiraled into the depths of the lake in a dance like state. Her horrified new lovers life would escape him in a few fleeting moments. But then they would be together forever. She continued her descent into the seemingly bottomless lake where they would spend eternity together.


© 2020 Jason Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a haunting story! A great write!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 5, 2020
Last Updated on May 5, 2020
Tags: Ghost, Suicide, love, haunt

Author

Jason Scott
Jason Scott

St. Petersburg, FL



About
I enjoy short story writing. I welcome criticism. I simply want to share my writing. I initially started posting short stories on Facebook that I called "Snipits" Because they were VERY short in lengt.. more..

Writing
Hero Hero

A Story by Jason Scott