The First of the Sea

The First of the Sea

A Story by Loribeth215
"

2nd Place Winner in the MicroHorror.com "Creatures" contest 2008

"

I am here and now. I have existed forever.

 

I have lived so long that it’s come to the point that I cannot even fathom all of my own past. I can tell you this: there was a beginning. When the world was young, so was I.

 

I may have been alone on the shore when the sea was new. I remember feeling a part of the air and the wind, how the water that cooled me was a new sensation. I was a part of it all, a being that was corporeal, but knew no difference between itself and the outside world.

For decades I was carried on the sea into this confusion that humans call the modern world. Time is nothing.

 

I will always be.

 

If I could touch you, I would, because it’s been so long since I have…..

 

 

When was the last time that I did? It’s hard to remember. But you’re a human man, my touch may kill you.

What name did they give me? I know they called me Mara. I sang songs. I drew men to me. How perfect they were for all of their imperfection.

 

How their eyes light up when they see me. Upon that moment, I am their ideal, full of life and irresistible; I am what they have waited for all their lives, the thing that they cannot resist. No two men ever see the same woman when they see me.

 

But they will all tell you that I am the most beautiful woman that they have ever seen.

 

How many of them dived into the depths for me? How they kissed with abandon, as I pulled them down into the water, sucking the last breath of their lungs into my mouth?

 

In those moments, the last of their lives, I drew in all of their essence: their life, their need, their pain. To take this is the depth of ecstasy. They give, and their vision of me flows away as does the last of their spirit.

 

My soft arms turn cold and hard, made of bones and not the softness of skin. My long hair tangles them into a mass of dead seaweed.

 

My song is the first of the sea, the last of the sea, what all men that sailed in ancient times grew wise enough to fear.

 

I am Siren.

 

© 2008 Loribeth215


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I gotta say, if this got second, what in the hell got first!? This was well written with a hint of mysticisim. The song of the Siren was always a draw to sailors and a danger to the men. I loved how you did this, and I would have voted you as a first place.

keep up the great work,
cole-

Posted 15 Years Ago


HOT!! sirens are cool, wish i was one. not becuz i wanna kill men or something just i like the idea of a man seeing me and me at that moment being the only person that matters. i would b their ideal woman. i don' know.

Posted 15 Years Ago


An emotional piece- the sadness in the Siren's tone is so wonderfully expressed, as she tells her tale of lonesome immortality. Very well written and deserving of the prize.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Ohhhh awesome! It should have won first! Sirens have always intrigued me and i fell this let me a little farther into that world, such a cool mythical being and you really captivated it. Nice work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


WOW... deserving of the win. Such mystery and power exudes from your words. This was expertly crafted my friend!

Time is nothing.

I will always be.

Wonderful! simple lines yet very impacting..

Posted 15 Years Ago


^^
That was powerful! Powerful and extremely well written. I felt as If I were reading my book on Greek mythology, written in middle English. I see now, why you were the second place winner in the Microhorror contest. I was thinking "Siren" about half way through reading it.
I enjoyed the begining where you gave us an idea of how, or more so, when the Siren started. Very good insight. Certainly a solid and sound work, you knew where you were going with it the entire time.
I am trying to find somthing that you need to improve upon, but...I can't.
I'll leave it up to better writers than I.
I look forward to more!
-Azza

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 7, 2008

Author

Loribeth215
Loribeth215

CA



About
I write poetry and stories, but you'll see more of the former than the later, as I am trying to sell several stories to online publishers. You can see many of my stories on the following websites: .. more..

Writing
Far Away Far Away

A Poem by Loribeth215



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Driving Driving

A Poem by QuietPoet