Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lovely Delights
"

This is what i hope to be the final rought draft of paragraph one. If you find anything wrong please notify me. I love feedback so dont hesitate to tell me what i am doing wrong or right i hope.

"

“HE IS DYING, ALANNAH!” Somewhere between my blood slick thighs, I can hear my mid-wife (Helenna) shriek with urgency as she desperately tries to pry my baby from my constricting womb. A groan of pain leaves my dry, torn lips and I clutch at the thick dark tan fur blankets beneath me as another torturous contraction hits. NO! This child WILL live! Even if that meant that, I had to give my life in exchange for his precious one! Dear Artemis, Goddess of Childbirth, please I beg of you; help me! This cannot end this way! I cannot lose this baby!!! My head lulls back and forth with my loss of energy and I can feel my legs shaking with exhaustion. Quickly, my energy depletes. Clutching at the wooden posts of my bed, I try to pull myself up to adjust myself in a more comfortable position, if it were possible.

Inside me, I feel my tiny baby squirm and my teeth grind together as I attempt to shut my mouth to keep myself from shrieking in pain. I am Queen! I cannot show such weakness. I tell myself as I glance around at the guards, maids, and advisors in my bedchambers. Dead Gods, did it have to be a social event! My heart pounds in my chest, the blood rushing to my head leaving me faint and unable to concentrate. My maids stand around the bed, anxiously watching me, holding towels and buckets of warm water. Now and again, they lean in to wipe my brow and lay a fresh cloth to my heated forehead. By the sacred Twins, I feel like I am being ripped from the inside out! Where the Demon’s is my husband? Gasping for breath as the pain slowly recedes; I press the palm of my hand to my mouth to keep from sobbing aloud from the pain.

Another contraction instantly follows and I arch my tortured back off the bed; crying out in agony as I feel my spine crack loudly from the sharp angle I am in. The sound reverberates through my entire body, making my bones vibrate.

“NO! STOP HER! GUARDS! SHE MUSNT DO THAT!” Shrieks Helenna as she struggles to presses my agonized body back onto my bed. Pressing her tiny frame against mine, she tries desperately to hold me down as I thrash madly with the sudden onslaught of pain shooting up and down my withered spine. I look up at her as my vision fades in and out; her pixie shaped face is pinched with angst as she struggles to keep me against the bed. I search her violet, green flecked, almond shaped eyes, tiredly. She leans down and presses her forehead to mine, her wisps of brown hair falling into my face as she passes energy to me. (Being born of her deceased mother, Amber, who had been a full-blooded Fayri, gave her the ability to channel energy from herself or others into the person she wishes, making her the perfect nurse for those who were birthing their first child and were unaccustomed to the loss of energy.) I clutch at her tightly as the pain increases, whimpering at the throbbing, soreness that dominates my entire body. She pulls back and pulls my hand away from her, setting it down gently on the bed, and I can tell I was clutching too tightly to her hand (enough to hurt her.)

“You must keep trying, Mother. You cannot stop pushing now. You are so close to holding him in your very own arms. You have waited so long for this very moment. All those nights kept awake as you paced back and forth singing to him and telling him of the vastness of your love for him.” She whispers softly as she lays a gentle hand on my arm, coaxing me into putting aside my agony and think only of the outcome of the pain. “I will heal your body once it is all done, Mother. Your pain will be only a bad memory far behind you.”

A bead of sweat stings my eyes as I nod and pant softly. She moves back to stand between my legs and softly probes my extended stomach. I feel another contraction coming and scream until my throat is raw. I feel my body stretch and shift around my baby as he slides further out of my mangled body. Nadia, my maid, softly brushes a cool wet rag over my forehead and I nearly begin to weep at the simple action of kindness. I hear an annoyed sigh from the dark corner of the room and turn to see my twin sister, Vasilii.

Leaning against the wall in a royal deep blue gown and matching cloak, she stands picking at her perfectly ink stained nails. Lifting her hand to eyelevel, she studies it intently, then lowers it and looks at me blankly. Batting her thick eyelashes, she grimaces, as she looks me over as if it pains her to look at the mess I am. Her light grey eyes looking bored as she sighs deeply again, flicks her waist long strawberry blonde braid over her shoulder and glides gracefully (with the grace that only we as vampires could possess so flawlessly) to my side. Standing at 5’5” with tiny hips and full breasts she calls the attention of all my guards with the sway of her hips, plopping her plump bottom down by my side, she looks down at me and drawls in that smoky annoying voice, “You summoned me….”

A low snarl slowly builds in my throat at the uncaring attitude she holds towards me even as I lay here in agony; however, before I can snap at her my baby suddenly jerks inside me making body contract with pain and spasms.

“DEAR GODS!!! HE’S STUCK!!!”  I moan, clutching at my swollen stomach as if to hold my abdomen together while it feels as if someone has taken a blade to my belly and was drawing an intricate rune upon the inside of it.

My body jerks wildly and I find myself in a fetal position (amusingly enough.) Looking up at the wooden elm spirals in the ceiling, I cannot help but feel a sense of premonition as my heart lurches painfully in my chest.

 Around me, everyone slows down to a merely frozen state. Helenna, who seems about to begin prodding my under-belly again moves as if she were underwater, her movements drawn-out by the pressure of the water around her. I blink once, then again, the pain carries on with the same vigor, but time seems to be flowing around me. I turn my head slowly to the right, feeling as if I have to slow my movements along with theirs. Then I realize a seemingly blue haze that covers everything, literally. It is as if every item in my room has been lit up from the inside out by a luminescent cobalt glow. There are no shadows, where have they gone? To the right at the foot of my bed, I see my maids Nadia and Kaori looking down at me, their eyes pinched tightly with their apprehension. They hold hands while in the other, they hold damp rags, a bead of water slowly drips down Nadia’s wrist, but does not fall. It is suspended a breaths width away from her skin. A small orb of water simply suspended there in mid-air. I exhale loudly and spot the small particles of moisture in my breath as they collect before my face like a puff of smoke. What in Irium…..? Have I lost my mind? What…… what is occurring? Am I dreaming?

I look past my huddled maids, towards the balcony and see my sister leaning against the wall silently, her arms wrapped tightly around herself as if to guard herself from an attack or from pain. What pain? She is so cold. What could possibly harm her? Her gaze fixed solely on the blazing red sun on the horizon. She looks beautiful in the sunlight, the position she stands in allows the light to frame her, casting a highlight to her silhouette. Her curvaceous body stands out like a glass chalice lit up by a midnight fire. She is breathtakingly beautiful. Tears sting my eyes as I hold my stomach tightly and long to be able to mend my relationship with her.

A stabbing pain shoots up my spine and I cringe, my body convulsing in spasms as the pain reverberates throughout my body. A small whimper leaves my dry rose-colored lips and I whimper loudly. Gradually as it comes, it recedes leaving me feeling numbed of all feeling. I turn my gaze around the room, slowly, unbelieving. I can feel the sweat, coating my face like a thin sheet of moisture, sliding down my cheeks, and expecting to feel it splash against my bare breasts but feel nothing instead.

How can this be? The only creature possible of doing such a monstrosity is a TimeKeeper. All TimeKeepers were banned from the face of Gaia not long after the fall of the Lost Race. Kronos was banished to the depths of Hades along with his lineage.

A groan seems to escape my lip as I feel my baby kick strongly and abruptly the room falls back into place. I am startled at how fast Helenna’s hand shoots to my belly and jump, turning my gaze away from the room I look to her. Eyes tight with unease, she pats my leg, as if attempting to reassure me.

It is only I, who appears to have realized that time was slowed. To me, an hour has passed half, to them only half a second. I glance around at everyone in the room. Nadia and Karrie still hold hands tightly as in the other they torture the wet rags they so tightly grip. Straining my neck, I look to my dear sister and find her in the exact same position. Staring off into the color-filled horizon as the sun begins to set, she still holds herself tightly. A part of me cannot help but wonder what it is that is running through her mind.

Helenna gently probes my slick insides, making me squirm with discomfort then instant regret as the pain shoots over my abdomen and up my spine. A small sob leaves my lips as the contraction slowly begins retrocede after a few labored breaths.

“Dear Artemis and Apollo! Just get this child out of me!” I shriek as I toss my head back and try not to scream, feeling my face grow red with exertion. Exhaling noisily, my breath catches in my sore throat making me cough loudly. Gently, someone pats a damp cool rag against my forehead and brushes away the tangles of dark, sun-spun, damp hair matted to my sweaty face. Exhausted, I glance up and see the pair of most brilliant blue eyes I have ever seen, staring down at me warmly. A weak smile forms on my lips, at the familiar wrinkles around these gleaming cerulean eyes as the person beams. Patting his hand over my brow again, my husband leans down and presses his cool pale-blue tinted lips to my own, leaving me breathless. His long mane of silvery blonder hair slicked back against his cranium as he leans down and trails a soft kiss against my cheek.

“Vladimir…” I breathe delicately, my hands fumbling up to touch his glorious face. “You are here. You made it. Wait, where were…”

Cringing mid-sentence, I take a deep breath before releasing an earsplitting wail of sheer agony; inside me, my baby furiously twists and kicks. A spurt of blood gushes out of me and coats Helenna’s arms and waist as a deafening wailing fills the crowded room.

“GET HIM OUT NOW!” I screech as I grab hold of Vladimir’s forearm desperately, not being able to think around the agony. Moaning loudly, I clench my mouth shut feeling my incisors grinding against my teeth painfully. “HE IS DYING! GET HIM OUT NOW! DO WHATEVER IT TAKES! JUST GET HIM OUT OF ALIVE!”

“HES STUCK, MOTHER, I CANNOT GET HIM OUT!” Wailing, Helenna tries aimlessly to pry my child loose of my constricting womb, her fingers sliding off the bloody slick insides of my body. The brightness in the room seems to intensify until it is almost blinding. My eyes start to sting painfully and I can feel tears sliding down my cheeks as I groan and continue trying to push. Weak, tired, and tormented; I take a deep breath; gather all the bits of strength left scattered in my body and push with a piercing moan. The muscles of my stomach tighten painfully as I hold my breath and force my child out. Groaning loudly as I feel the juncture of my hips crack audibly as my hips widen to let my babe through. My heart is pounding in my head demanding that I stop and take a breather but knowing that if I do that my child will die. Slowly, my eyesight dims. Spots begin to appear as I continue to push. Somewhere in the distance I can hear a loud screaming, something tells me it is my own wailing voice. I continue pushing until it seems my head is being at the point of exploding. I can hear the blood pounding in my ears as I strain to keep pushing.

Then, nothing.

I cannot feel the kicks anymore, the contracting of my body around my child. It suddenly stops and I inhale loudly only to choke on my own saliva as I inhale it. Coughing and sputtering, I blindly look around me. A loud wail pierces the impregnated silence gathering in the room and I know my baby is alive. Chocking on my breath, I let go of Vladimir’s hand and reach out towards the piercing cries of my child. Slowly, my vision starts to spot. Patches of cream marbled walls and familiar faces quickly replace the darkness. However, there is only one face that I demand to see; that of the flailing child Helenna wraps within a swaddle of white sheets.

A loud murmuring fills the room, sounding like a hive of bees in mid-summer, a jumble of nonsense. It becomes a deafening, annoying, buzzing in my ringing ears. My eyes are locked intently on the squalling baby fidgeting loudly. Panting noisily, I lift my heavy hands towards Helenna not realizing the look of utter astonishment upon her face as she cleans the wriggling baby in her arms.

“OUT!” I hear Vladimir demand, tearing my gaze away from my baby, I turn my joyous teary eyes to him. “OUT! NOW!” He bellows, shoving my maid, Nadia, out of the door harshly along with a basket of towels, which he flings at her. A part of me wants to call out to him, tell him not to treat my maids so rudely; then, I hear a coo from Helenna and I swirl my head back to my baby as the doors slam shut. Out of the swaddle of sheets, I see a small plump hand shoot up, seconds before Helenna tucks it back to the wriggling tiny body she holds. Anxiously, I pull my bottom lip between my pearly white teeth, chewing on it. I strain my neck as if to elongate it so that I can see my child, but recoil as I shift ever so slight and cause a stabbing pain to spread over my abdomen. Making a small noise of frustration, I pull the thick blanket over my body and watch as patiently as a new mother can to see my little one.

My blue-green eyes follow Helenna around the room as she cleans my baby off then transfers him to a clean blanket. As she turns to me, with a beaming smile, I exhale loudly not realizing I had been holding my breath all along. Each step she takes towards me seems to last an eternity.

Finally.

She reaches my bed and grins as she out stretches her arms, holding my baby out to me as he fidgets and cries to be held and warmed. After what seems an eternity, I feel the weight and warmth of his tiny body against my clammy skin. My eyes prick with the oncoming tears of joy as I pull back the sheets to see the beautiful face of my first-born and Heir.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see something coming towards me, fast. I take no note to it. I can feel Helenna’s hand on my inner thighs as she mends my tattered body restoring it to its natural state easily. I ignore her. I feel my loose feeling skin shift to firm. It does not matter in the least. I feel the stretched out planes of my body returning to it flat state, it is unimportant now. I catch a glimpse of dusky crimson curly hair beneath the blanket and my breath catches in my throat. He is beautiful.  He is rare.

One blue-green eye stares up at me around the cream-colored sheets, then, pain. A part of me makes a noise of irritation. It seems pain is always in the way of I want.

My vision tints with red as a blood vessel ruptures and blood falls into my right eye. A deep pounding seems to explode in my head as my head tilts to the side. A high shrill scream permeates my pounding head and I cringe away from it. I can taste the sugary taste of blood in my mouth; it thrills me to my soul. Then, I realize it is Helenna screaming at the top of her lungs. Dizzily, I try to lift my head off the wooden headrest of my bed and catch a glimpse of golden brown followed by a flash of silvery blonde hair.  The pain in my head pulsates, making me clutch at my head as I attempt to straighten.

My hands feel empty….

WHERE IS MY BABY?

Through the red haze obscuring my sight, I catch a glimpse of Vladimir tightly holding Helenna’s arm as he hurls her around my bedchambers like a dirty rag. Her back slams into the thick marble wall of my chambers and she crumbles into an unconscious heap upon the floor. Vladimir stomps across the room, looming toward Helenna menacingly. Instinctively, I shoot out of my bed and storm towards them, staggering before I reach them. Clinging to the wall to keep myself upright as the room seems to sway beneath my feet; a feral snarl builds up in my chest as I move towards the two of them. How dare he mistreat my daughter?

Reaching them, I grab Vladimir’s shirt tightly and tug weakly, feeling completely drained and with good reason. My body feels useless and uncontrollable. I feel like someone has pulled the mat from under my unsteady feet. His free arm shoots back and slams into my stomach, knocking the air from my lungs as I fall to the floor. Sputtering for air, I cling again to the wall and stumble upright, my vision fading in and out. Watching as he slams Helenna against my wardrobe, an ominously feeling deep inside me ignites. Straightening, I find my head cleared of all pain as I stride towards Vladimir, grab ahold of his tunic and wrench him away from my precious Helenna and fling him against the opposite wall of the room without a moment’s hesitation �"thank the Goddess, she gifted her Queens with greater strength than that normal to the race. - Hearing a booming crash as he falls down upon the bowls and jars of food and wine set upon my table, I lean down to Helenna and gently roll her onto her side. Laying limp and unconscious on the floor, she has her already bruising arms wrapped tightly around my small bundle of blankets. Seeing my little one held so tightly in her arms makes me snarl with fury as I realize my baby boy could have been hurt. The rage I felt at seeing the red welts and bruises on Helenna’s arms triples as I slowly slide my arms under her and carry her gently to the resting chair by the balcony. Setting her down with great caution, I softly touch my baby boy still wrapped up safely in his blanket but wailing nonetheless. Patting him gently, I try to console him as the instant need to wipe his tears makes me choke back my own tears.

A loud snarl tears up in my throat as I whirl around, crouched and ready to rip out his throat. My pale porcelain colored skin begins to turn a tinted blue color as my veins start to appear as dark almost black streaks. Warm blue green eyes quickly darken to a deep violet color as my instinct to protect my own overcomes the love I feel towards Vladimir. My chest heaves up and down as snarls escape past my bared teeth. Stepping forward, ready to leap at him, I am taken aback by the look etched upon his face. It is one of utter fear. Slowly the red tint of hatred that was beginning to cloud my sight vanishes and I am left only with the echo of my last thoughts. I….. I was about to attack him. I lost control. Dear Goddess, what am I doing? Instantly, I jerk myself upright and pursue my lips together tightly to hide my elongated incisors.

The room grows eerily silent as Vladimir takes note of the way I am standing; his face flushes red with anger as he narrows his luminescent light blue eyes at me. He has seen me take this stance before to defend myself or to punish one of the tsyaros (people who are condemned to die for committing murder or feeding on the races.) “YOU WOULD DARE ATTACK ME? I AM KING!” He roars as he puffs out his thin chest attempting to look menacing. Just as my anger was beginning to fade, a hiss escapes my lips and I glare at him as I bare my teeth again.

“YOU ATTACKED MY DAUGHTER AND YOUR SON! How dare YOU? You are king because I allow it. You are what you are because it is what I made you. You breathe because I allow you to. Touch my son-“

THAT IS NO SON! YOU BIRTHED ME A B***H! A FEMALE!” He bellows as he stabs a finger towards me where behind me, my wailing child Helenna hide. The news hits me like a blow to the chest. The words I was uttering vanish and I shake my head slowly.

“You…. You are lying…. It was foretold….. “ I turn around and look down at my newborn as it wails and squirms in its tightly bound swaddle of sheets. This cannot be. The prophecies are never wrong. Pulling an arm free, my little one begins waving it around wildly as if to swat away the sunbeams streaming onto his face. Her…… face. Looking back at Vladimir, I narrow my eyes and lift my chin up high. “It matters not the sex of my child… She is your daughter as well, Vladimir, she is heir to my throne. She is the future Queen of Faite and no harm will ever come to her nor by foreign hands or yours. That I lay my life upon.”

“I will not harm her, Alannah. Of that, you can be sure. You have many enemies. I have to only wait and the day will come in due time. You were supposed to birth me a son. A male. A TRUE heir to the throne.” Vladimir now taking up his usual post, leaning against the wooden column at the corner of my bed, crosses his arms over his thin chest and snorts. “I knew you weren’t capable of giving me a son. Instead, you give me THIS.” He snarls the last word as he tilts his head towards Helenna and my daughter. Sliding his hands over his tunic, he laughs humorlessly before sliding his hands through his hair, slicking it back against his head. Laughing still, he rakes his gaze over my precious babe and sneers with revulsion. The look on his face is one of pure disgust as his eyes turn to me and sear me to my core, the hatred in his eyes in not one I am accustomed to seeing directed towards me. Pressing the pads of my fingers to my full lips, I look towards my baby girl and Helenna and it suddenly seems clear to me what Vladimir has been saying all along. HIS throne? A male heir? That son of a……

I sneer as I lower my hand and seem to grow tall with the nobility of my title. I am Queen Alannah Victoriah DeMarquis! He will not dare speak ill of my child this way, ever!!! “THIS is MY KINGDOM! Faite is MY THRONE! YOU WILL NOT CLAIM WHAT IS MINE! And YOU will not disown MY DAUGHTER!” I snarl as I step towards him, feeling menacingly close to leaping across the room and showing him just how well of a Queen I was. “YOU WERE NOTHING! YOU ARE KING BECAUSE I PROCLAIMED YOU SO! YOU WERE A BLACKSMITHS SON! YOU ARE AND WILL ALWAYS BE MY SUBJECT! DON’T YOU DARE FOR ONE SECOND THINK THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN MY CHILD!” I hiss as I am feet away from him, I can feel my eyes beginning to turn violet once more with my hatred and fury. How could I have been so blind to his wickedness? Inside me something shatters; my will, my pride and my foolish heart.

“I WILL NOT HAVE THAT W***E AS MY DAUGHTER! I WILL NOT CLAIM HER!” He roars, as he seems to grow tall with fury, puffing out his thin chest he strides towards me, menacingly. Pushing his thin, yet built body against mine he sneers repugnantly as he lifts his hand to my face and tilts my face up to his. Tightening his hold on my chin until it feels like my jawbone will shatter under his touch; his icy cold eyes bore into mine like daggers. If for a second he thinks, I will back down like a trained b***h after 300 years of marriage he was greatly mistaken! I will show him what it is to enrage a queen.

A soft breeze sweeps the see-through peach colored veils that hang down over my balcony into the room. My tangled, dark-golden hair falls forward over my shoulders as the breeze sweeps around me softly, caressing like a lovers touch. The air gently sweeping the tattered gown I wear loosely, around my feet with a soft breath. My eyes become emotionless and empty as I step away from him, jerking my face from his repulsive touch. In that instant, it magnifies in speed and strength, I can feel it pressing against me and can see that Vladimir is straining to remain upright by the stance he takes. Crouching down low to keep a gust of wind from slamming into his chest, his icy blue eyes begin to bleed into a dark red crimson color and the air around him seems to wither as waves of artic cold roll off his body. A sinister feeling of loathing begins to fill me as our elements clash and I force myself to concentrate to remain in control of the enticing power within me. A silent clap of thunder and lightning fills the room. The air around me grows thick with our power and for a single second a part deep inside me feels evil and invincible. A sickeningly cold shiver slithers up my spine, the artic freeze of his power bites against my skin feeling like pricks of fiery needles into the core of my very bones. How dare he use Ice against me? If not for me, he would have no ounce of power in his body. It is thanks to me that he is in the position he is in! Deep within the confines of my mind, I can hear a small part of me demanding that I kill him, simply because he dared to lift a finger towards me. Another part of me; however, demands his death for the insults he speaks towards my daughter. This part I am willing to obey. So be it.

A blast of air responds to his element and a vase on the table by my bed slips off its edge and sends a million crystalline shards of glass tearing around my room. I can hear the clings and sharp scratches as they scrape loudly against the walls, the wood furniture, and the soft skin on Vladimir’s legs. The rich sweet aroma of his blood fills the room and my nostrils flare, devouring the delicious scent of him. A luscious shiver runs up my spine and I nearly moan as I imagine what his warm thick blood would taste like pouring into my mouth. It takes a few seconds for my mind to clear but the lust I feel for his blood only seems to fuel the power inside me. My power may not be my own, but it’s my emotions that fuel its needs and wants and at this very moment, my emotions told my power to kill. Slowly, I begin to loose myself in the seductive inferno of power blazing within me. A soft crackling, like burning wood begins to sweep across the room towards me. The white and black flecked granite floor of my bedchambers begins to frost over. A thin sheet of rime coats the ground and slowly as death comes, it snakes its way to where I stand. The artic freeze stings and hisses as it meets the heat radiating off my own warm body. The power inside me ignites suddenly at the closeness of his power and in an instant; the person I am, was, or will be is gone. For that one moment, that short lapse of time I am Lanah no more. I am a wife, no more. I am not a mother, a daughter, or a sister. I am Queen Alannah Victoriah DeMarquis and I was feeling threatened.

The power within me instantly responds. Large gusts of wind slam into his chest, slamming his back into the wall aside my bed. Slowly, he crumbles into a useless heap upon the floor, gasping for air. Seconds pass and I watch him sputtering and coughing; clawing at his own chest. The sound of his ribs audibly cracking apart like a dry twig makes me cringe inwardly. A sneer forms on his face as he tries to stand when he is finally able to and is knocked down again by a second blast of air, he does not take humiliation kindly. Eyes still a deep violet shade; lock onto Vladimir as he lays on the floor waiting for my anger to recede, he looks so frail and small. Good, the floor is where he belongs. A sharp high-pitched wail from the balcony makes my head snap around towards the sound and the burst of cold air instantly dissipates. The power boiling over inside me bursts; suddenly, like a soap bubble and I am left standing in the middle of the room. The cry from my child allows me to regain my concentration and instantly, my attention is again divided, between the man before me and the wailing babe in Helenna’s arms. Slowly, my eyes fade back to their natural blue-green color and I feel my revulsion towards my husband begin to lessen. My daughter needs her mother.

Turning away from Vladimir, I leave him to his disgrace upon the floor as I go to my child; he is nothing to me now. As I walk away, every step I take away from him feels as if I am stepping away from the only life I can remember. The simple meek life I lived at his side is over. This is my new beginning. A new reign begins on this day. Now, you are not only a Queen but a mother as well. The life you live and the kingdom which you rule is not only yours but hers, also.

Feeling the weight of my own baby in my arms makes my heart swell with elation. The cold that had surrounded me moments ago was long past behind me, a bad nightmare. Nothing could compare to what I was feeling at this moment, I was finally holding my own daughter in my own arms. After waiting so patiently for two years as she was created within me, I was finally able to rock her in my arms and care for her. Pulling her closer to my full breasts, I nuzzled her tiny soft cheek with my face as I swayed from side to side, rocking her. She is glorious. For a moment, I remember the pain I went through to have her and realize that it was worth it. Every second of it was worth this moment. For her, I would go through it a million times over.

Tiny and delicate, her chubby round face is turned up towards me. Beautiful wide blue-green eyes blink away sleepily as her pink full lips make a small perfect “o” as she yawns and hides herself against my warm body. Thick golden lashes frame those lovely ocean colored eyes. Short tuffs of fiery ringlets are matter tightly against her head, contrasting perfectly with the pale creamy color of her skin. A small chubby hand reaches up and touches the base of my neck softly as she grabs hold of the gold pendant around my slender neck. Awe fills me as I watch her nuzzle her body against mine, finding herself a comfortable spot against the crook of my arm. Is this how it will feel? Every moment of my life? Will I always be awed at how much of a beautiful creation she is? Will her every move and goal, be this appeasing to me? …… If so…….. I do not mind this feeling at all.

A soft scuffling sound from behind me makes me remember that wretched troll is still in the room and I look for a place to lay my daughter to rest as she quietly settles down to sleep almost instantly. Looking to my grand elm bed, I see the ogre has taken his usual post by the bottom left foot of my bed rest and make a noise of disgust and annoyance. I remember being annoyed with him often but never like this. Perhaps, giving birth has opened my eyes. By the wall of my balcony lies a glorious large mahogany crib already prepped with large pillows and small toys and rattles. Making my way to it, I smile down at my little one nestled safely in my arms and almost hesitate to set her down. She is truly beautiful. Moreover, she is mine.

“It would seem lately you cannot bring yourself to do anything right, Alannah. First, you ally the kingdom with those mongrels and peasants. Then, you allow them to take the Irium for their royals. Now, you were not even able to begin the reign of the Kings as it was foretold. The first male born was supposed to start with your first-born son and you birth a female. Honestly, your people might begin to question whether you are still fit to rule this kingdom.” He sighs as he runs his bleeding hands down the front of his soiled shirt in that annoying way of his; then, passes it through his silvery mane smudging it with red.  I hear myself hiss at his words and I gently set my daughter down, so that I will not disturb her slumber. Gods if you can hear my prayers, please just do away with him.

 Pulling a blanket from one of the nearby tables, I lay it over my sleeping babe and turn to glare at him.

“You know, there is only one thing you are correct on. She is MY daughter. She is MY first-born. She is MY bloodline. Perhaps, SHE will birth the era of the kings. Have you not thought of that, you dimwitted fool?” Turning away, I shake my head annoyed beyond relief and rub the pads of my fingers to my temples. I cannot allow him to mistreat her, ever again. If I forgive him…. He will despise her for the rest of her life. No. This marriage ends here, tonight. “It does not matter, for from this day forth you are prohibited to see her. You are forced by the hand of you High Queen to abdicate your paternity to this girl. As of this day, you have no children. Or mate.” I declare, sweeping aside my worn dress, I lift my free hand to shoulder level with my palm outward; the intricate flaming ink designs embedded into my fleshy palm visible. “I, Queen Alannah Victoriah DeMarquis, here by strip you of the power that I bequeathed you on the 5th full moon of the year, the day we were wed. The Ice of Skadi, the Goddess of Ice and winter, is no longer a part of you and your spirit. As Queen of Faite, I also hereby proclaim our marriage to be abolished. You will be given a single Moon to remove yourself from the castle of Faite. Failure to do so will result in Banishment from the five Kingdoms that form The Unity. You are allowed to take your clothing and personal items. If you are found, removing items that belong within this castle such as armor and swords; your punishment will be 300 lashes, which will be carried out in the Main Hall. After a period of seven moons you will not be allowed to receive Irium, the elixir for our extended lives will be prohibited for your body for this moon until the time of your death. You will be given a payment of 50 gold pieces so that you may find yourself a horse and stead for the fortnight. You are free to remove yourself from my private chambers at this moment.” The moment the words leave my lips, an ominous shiver creeps up my back; making me shake with a tormenting premonition.

Oh, no! What have I done? He will never forgive me for this! I should take it back. No, I cannot. He is a monster and I am finally doing what is right. Dear gods, what have I done? Dear Artemis, protect me.

Lowering my hand, I cringe inwardly at the slight feeling of stinging cold sliding up my ankles like a slithering snake. The biting cold flows up my legs and to my arms where it collects itself around my wrists taking the form of a black ink design on my skin. My hands tighten into fists as I try to numb out the icy breath upon my wrists. It has been too long since I claimed the ice element for myself, much too long.

Turning away from him, I feel my face twist with disgust and sadness.

It was only yesterday that we were sitting here within this same room discussing names for the baby. Sitting upon the balcony, we eagerly waited for our beloved son as the sun settled upon the horizon behind our backs. The bright inferno sunlight stung and reddened our delicate porcelain skin but as we -as vampires- always must, we bare it. We had settled on Mikhael Abrahm thinking it would be a fine name for a king to come. How mistaken we were, to have thought that fate would let our plans take their course. Our silly simple lives of luxury and love were over now. A new dusk was upon us and when dawn came, the inception of a new era would be a bittersweet one.

Taking a deep breath to settle myself, I raise my chin up high and and straighten my back as I have been taught to do so all my life. Keeping my eyes on the wall before me, I retrieve the small bell in the folds of my dress that calls for the guards posted outside of my chambers to come in. Closing my eyes, I pry off the silver wedding band around my ring finger and bite my bottom lip hard to keep it from trembling as I open my drawer and drop it in. A single crystalline tear slips my façade of indifference and slides silently down my cheek before splashing against the soft fabric of my dress. Dear Artemis, Alannah! PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!!! Wiping it away instantly, I turn around and clear my throat, ready to address my guards.

“HOW DARE YOU? YOU B***H! YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS, ALANNAH. I WILL BREAK YOU DOWN UNTIL YOU ARE AN EMPTY SHELL. YOU WILL PLEAD FOR MERCY THAT I WILL NOT HAVE. YOU WILL BEG FOR A DEATH THAT WILL NEVER COME! YOU! WILL! SUFFER!” He roars behind me, as he jerks his clothes into place from the tousle of having his gifts removed from him.

Eyes wide with confusion and mouths agape, my guards exchange glances between their King and I while clutching tightly at their spears. Looking at each other baffled, as if to ask the other what to do in the situation. Their duty is to protect me as High Queen but as royal guards, they are also sworn to protect their king.

“Ghale, Thunder, Please escort The Exile King, Vladimir, from my bed chambers. You are to chaperon him to his own private office so that he may retrieve his PERSONAL belongings. Should he attempt to retrieve anything from the castle that is not his you are to take him directly to the Main Hall and carry forth the sentence of 300 lashes. After removing his things, you are to take him to the Irium Basins where he will receive a supply of Irium for the next seven moons. At this point, you are instructed to pass on the word to the Basin Keepers that Vladimir is from this moon forth restricted to enter the Irium Basins for any purpose. Should he be seen with Irium of any amount upon his person after the seven moons, he is to be brought directly to me. He has a single moon to be gone from the castle. Thank you, Thunder and Ghale, take your leave.”

The bewildered look quickly fades from my guard’s eyes and turns into one of utter devotion as they glance between the man they knew as their king and me. They hesitate for only a second before they bow down and move towards Vladimir. His brilliant blue eyes, betray him for the first time, as they grow wide with fear and angst. Turning to me, he lifts his hands as if to beg for my mercy, his bottom lip quivers and I can nearly feel my heart shatter into a million pieces. I am casting away the man that I love into the street of our kingdom where he will be seen as scum. No one will respect him; he was the man who tried to be king and failed miserably. He is now the exiled king. My throat constricts with instant misery and I have to knot my fingers together to keep myself from reaching out to him.

He threatened your daughter, Alannah. He threatened your reign. He does not deserve his power or your mercy. Do not grant him what he would not grant you.

Blinking away the oncoming tears, I turn away from the frightened King I once loved in my room and nod to my guards. They each take his arms and pull him out of my room as he fights them with every step. With an eerie high-pitched groaning noise, the grand doors to my chambers close.

I am alone with my thoughts and my children. You are doing the right thing, Alannah, if he dared to threaten your reign and daughter now; then he will do it again later. You can be sure that this beautiful baby will live a safe life within the walls of your kingdom. Don’t you dare shed a tear for that mongrel! You are a Queen!

Standing by my drawer, I bow my head as I try to win a raging war with my own tempestuous emotions. A part of me begs to call him back and supplicate for his forgiveness and love; while, another part of me demands that I cast aside any wisp of love I felt for him.

He is no longer your husband. Looking up at my own reflection, I touch my fingers to my lips softly before looking up into my own ocean blue eyes. They seem hollow, empty. I appear broken, lost, a shell. Lifting a hand, I touch it to my face, feeling my soft pale skin. I feel so alone without him.  A deep aching begins to fester in my chest as my eyes begin to sting with tears.

Yes, he is my husband no more…. Nevertheless, I cannot forget that I loved him once, as I love him now. I loved him yesterday in this room. We sat upon that very balcony and loved each other with love that can never be equaled.

So what has gone wrong? What is different today from yesterday? I ask myself, numbly.

A daughter. Not, a son. That’s what’s different. That’s the only thing that is different. A beautiful little girl. There is nothing he has lost from the birth of a girl….

What could he gain from it? Why is a daughter so demeaning to him than that of a son? I question, curiosity beginning to dim out part of the gut-wrenching pain that settles heavily upon my heart.

A daughter will grow up and become Queen. A son? A son will grow up and be just my son, my boy. He could not become King even if I wished it so.

He COULD become King, IF the Queen and King BOTH wished it so. Do not forget the prophecy. The era of Kings is soon to start with your bloodline.

Instantly, my head comes up as I whirl around, knocking a candle from its stand accidentally. Of course! This would be my only child! I would have proclaimed him king when he was twenty years of age! In doing so, Vladimir would have to be placed above me and the era of Kings would begin! Vladimir would be above me!

He would be above everyone. I conclude with a horrified gasp. Has he really been after the throne, all these years? If he gained supremacy, he would rule this land until our son was fit to be King himself. It could take hundreds of years for the Unity to let him rule.

A soft groan from the balcony side breaks my train of thought.

Helenna!

Turning around, I nearly sprint to her side as I drop down to my knees and take her hand between mine. My eyes pour over her face as I gently brush her curly hair away from her face; knowing very well that she detests having her auburn locks in her eyes. Dizzily, she opens one eye lazily then the other, blinking against the brightness of the setting sun. She has grown into such a beautiful creature. She is the feminine image of her twin brother and Single Soul Mate, Darius. I took them in when their mother, Amber, (my fayri companion, which every royal member must have) passed away birthing them.  Amber had been my closest friend since I was but a fledgling. We grew into adulthood together and found love together. She; however, was able to have children while I was told I was only going to be able to have one or two babes in my lifetime. She passed away before she could see the faces of her own children. I promised her as she quickly faded that her children would be my own. I would love them, for as long as I lived. Vladimir did not approve. He never wanted to be within a few hundred feet of me when I was with them. As infants, they were the children that we could never have ourselves. As teenagers, they were the most repulsive things to him. It was during their teenage years that they realized they were Single Soul Mates. Meaning that not only were they meant to be together but also they were both created from the same soul. Our Gods and Goddesses each created a certain amount of souls. For every soul, there is a perfect match, but in their case, their soul was one. Which meant they both had only each other to love. It was Vladimir, who had discovered them kissing in their bedchambers, he had seen them from the balcony view which oversees the entrance gates of the palace and their own private chambers. Disgusted by what he saw, he barged in and dragged them both out into the courtyard where he found me and had them confess their incest. Ashamed with themselves, they confessed and soon after offered to leave the castle grounds by morning come. Begging them to stay, I began a war with husband I never knew had started. He felt betrayed and undermined, as if his opinion did not matter one bit to me.

From that day forth, Helenna and Darius became his worst enemies. Their every breath was an outrage to him. Their every word was rubbish and lies. His mind was set; on what kind of creatures they were and the type of creatures they pretended to be. Unknowingly, his hate drew them closer to me over the years to come. Every time he shunned them and humiliated them for his own fun and games, I took them aside and loved them tenderly. For every curse and blow, he cast against them; a kiss of mine eased their pain. They were my children. Blood or not.

Looking down at me confused, Helenna looks around the room then bolts upright. “THE BABY! SHE’S A GIRL!” She exclaims as she leaps up out of the small loveseat, her beautiful violet-green eyes darting around the room. “And the King! He……. He wanted to hurt her! Is she all right, mother? Where is she?”

As if on cue, a soft whimper rises from the rather large sized crib by my bed. Standing up, I glide towards my daughter and smile down at her as she lays curled on her side in her peaceful slumber. A small smile tugs at the edges of her lips and I find myself wishing I could know what it was that caused that smile. Warmth spread through me, I was hardly aware of Helenna in the room with me until she pounces onto my grand bed and bursts out into a weeping wreck.

Momentarily disoriented, I stand there wide eyed and speechless. Then, I recall that she just awoke from being thrown around the room and mistreated by the man she desperately wants to get closer too. Once again, she was flung around by Vladimir and once again, she woke up confused, in pain and next to me. This would not be the first time Vladimir has lost his temper when Helenna is present. It seems every time he loses his temper she is the one he decides to blame even if the odds of her fault are near impossible. Burying her face within the soft stuffing of a down pillow, she weeps uncontrollably even as the bruises upon her thin slender arms and neck begin to recede to her normal porcelain-cream colored skin. As is the ritual of every other day, I take a seat beside her and begin to brush my fingers through her soft locks. Before I can speak, Helenna begins her loud keening. “I KNOW I SHOULDN’T CARE IF HE LIKES ME OR NOT BUT I JUST WISH FOR ONE MOMENT THAT HE WOULD LOOK AT ME WITH SOMETHING OTHER THAN HATE AND DISGUST, MOTHER! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CALL HIM DAD AND HAVE HIM SMILE WHEN I SAY IT!”

Letting her go on until she has to stop to take a breather, I lay my hands onto my lap and listen patiently as I always do. Gently wiping away her tears, I smile as she stops and takes a deep breath, getting ready for another onslaught of tears and words I can barely understand. “Darling, you don’t have to worry about that anymore.” I state as I reach up, tuck a lock of her auburn hair behind her pointy ears, and force a weak smile.

“Wha…. What do you mean, Mother?” She sniffles as she wipes her tears from her rosy cheeks.

Sighing heavily wishing I did not have to explain, I drop my hands to my lap and begin twining my fingers together as a nervous gesture and look away towards the setting sun upon the zigzagging horizon of the Mountains of Maestri upon which we live. “I mean to say that I am the sole ruler of this kingdom. I am no longer married to that….abusive, narcissist pig. I have annulled our marriage. We are free of him.” I softly answer; my eyes stinging with emotion as tears spill down my cheeks.

The silence that follows grows thick with my pain as I bite down hard on my lip to keep myself from sobbing. Outside, I see the sky turn purple, pink and a deep orange as the sun disappears, taking with it my marriage and my love.

 

That stupid b***h. Who does she think she is? She cannot simply snap her fingers and take away everything I have earned. Five hundred years of being married to that w***e and she thinks she can simply cast me out! Having to sleep by her side when I find her so repulsive. Making love to her and having to bathe 5 times afterward to wash off the disgusting smell of her body. Sitting by her, touching her, having to laugh with her and tell her how much I love her. For what, in the end? So she can choose that disgusting little wench over me?! NO!  I will show you, who is better fit to rule this kingdom, Alannah! Your empire will crumble beneath your feet before I give in.  With shaking hands, I pull back the delicate silver strands of my hair and resist the urge to growl. Striding between two damn guards is enough for me, no need to add to the fire. Stuffing my hands into the pockets of my pants, I glare at the tiles of the floors and follow the shiny disgusting boots of the guard in front of me. Thunder. What an idiotic name! Surely, his mother was some dumb illiterate w***e who did not even know what his name meant.

Glancing behind me, I catch the eye of the guard marching behind me. Spear drawn, aimed straight at my back; he narrows his eyes at me and tightens his hold on the spear. Pathetic. As we pass by the library, I glimpse inside and see Vasilii sprawled over the window seat a large book laid upon her face. Now there is a true beauty. She is fit to be a queen. She is as cold hearted and cruel as I am. It seems I chose the wrong sister to take to bed that night.

Shivering with repulsion as I recall that god-awful night when I met Alannah. That b***h was parading herself around the town in her glorious royal gowns while the commoners watched in their tattered rags as she bought an endless supply of fruit, meat, and silk linens. I recall seeing from behind my working table as she had her fayri slip some mead into her chalice so that she could drink without the consent of her guards. By the time she reached the inn, she was already tripping over her expensive dress. She was begging for my attention as she eyed me from her guards, giggling like a child and twirling her hair. It only took a slip of Irium into her mead that night to get her inebriated enough to have her follow me up stairs like the w***e she is. A few sweet words were whispered that night about forbidden love and soul mates and the next day she summoned me to the castle. She gave me a job as a stable boy where she could see me when she had free time. Two years later, I was being wed to that w***e. I could not complain it was every commoners dream to become royalty. Her mother and father were disgusted with us at first but soon after came to and allowed us to be wed. I do not regret killing those fools in their sleep. The wolves were to blame after all. I did nothing. Not according to the Unity, that is. I have to be the most blessed vampire to have ever lived. I killed the Queen and King and that same night a wolf was found breaking into the castle. My God, Apollo, must truly find me fit to rule. I fight the urge to laugh aloud. It is time to kill us another royal.

I continue my rant the entire way to my private office; almost slamming into the guards shiny metal a*s as he suddenly comes to a stop.

“These are your private quarters, my…….., Vladimir. You have approximately a full night to retrieve your PERSONAL items. Go ahead.” Moving to stand aside the wooden doors, they resume their expressionless looks and silence.

Oh grand, they left idiots to care for me. Rolling my eyes at the two lumps of useless meat, I stride into my office and slam the doors shut behind me with a loud boom. I hope that woke that little wench up. It serves her right for taking my throne from me. I was so close to finally ascending the throne! By Artemis! I was so close!

Looking to my right, I sneer at the large statue of Alannah sitting atop a pedestal. Stomping to it, I spit in her face before grabbing hold of that beautiful slender neck of hers and with a loud groaning noise break it off. Holding it to eye level, I growl as I throw it into the fireplace beside the pedestal and watch it crack in half. I want to kill something! Grabbing two flints, I strike them together and light the kindling.

Turning away, I glower at my desk across the room and saunter over. I look down at the papers and envelopes, my right eye twitches at how idiotic I had been to think that that …. W***e…. would have named me High King of Faite. Closing my eyes, I feel a cold shiver run down my spine as my eyes begin to twitch with an oncoming madness. A hysterical insane laughter bubbles up as I clutch at my hair and pull out large clumps. This is not happening. I am having a nightmare. That is all. Yes, that has to be it. I snicker as I look around the room and chortle. “THIS ISNT REAL!” I bellow as I hurl everything off my desk with a sweep of my arm. I continue my nonsensical giggles for a moment, which slowly recedes into a sputter of coughs and oncoming tears. This cannot be happening to me….. it can’t. Wiping a hand across my face, I leap out of my chair as my chest begins to heave up and down. You have one night, Vladimir. Use it well.

A beautiful sinister smile smears over my lips as I sit back down gracefully. Pulling back the sleeves of my tunic, I pick up a parchment with the Queen’s Emblem and a quill. The edges of my lips twitch with anxiety and I allow myself a sick fit of giggles as I dip the pen and begin.



© 2013 Lovely Delights


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on May 17, 2013


Author

Lovely Delights
Lovely Delights

New Port Richey, FL



About
Hi! my name is Mimi i LOVE to write. i do like fanfic but there is something about creating my own characters that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. more..

Writing
Epilogue Epilogue

A Chapter by Lovely Delights


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lovely Delights