Don't ask me To review.....

Don't ask me To review.....

A Poem by V. Lucien Maier
"

lots of people ask me to review. Read this, if you still want me to review let me know I will be happy to.

"

you don't want that.

You ask me,
I would like you to review these words.
But when I do,
you are stung by my honesty.
You say I am mean,
But I just want you to get better.
You say I am unfair,
but in the end what I say is the truth.

Because in the end I don't give a crap about your feelings,
In the End I only care about your work.

So don't ask me to review.
you can ask me to read and not offer my ideas.
you can ask me not to look at all.
but, don't ask me to review.

because, I take writing very seriously,
and if I see something wrong with a piece I will not stand by,
I will not say you are a great talent unless you are.
I will not lie, or help your ego
I am here to improve my work,
and to help others improve theirs.

I don't know what you are here for,
but don't ask me to review....
Your sweet little heart can't take what I have to dish.




 

© 2009 V. Lucien Maier


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think you're right when you say that people shouldn't ask for a review on something they wrote if they aren't prepared for blunt honesty. However, I disagree with the fact that blunt honesty has to be something to hurt their ego. If I'm going to review something and say it had it's faults, I wouldn't say it in a way that hurts the person's ego, because they weren't acting conceited at all, they were just looking for help, you know?

Though I think everyone appreciates a good, honest and clear review, I don't think a person should be nasty about it. I also think (actually I know this as a fact) if a person has low self esteem, then they're going to jump in and defend their work if they think that you're telling them they all out suck in the writing field, which is probably a response you've gotten to some reviews. Really, if you're going to be honest then don't be nasty, is all I'm trying to say. ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, yeah. Don't dish it if you can't take it, but it works the other way around. Don't ask for it if you can't take it, either. Judging from this, at least I get the impression that you mean well. That's really what people ought to realize, is that reviews are there to help, not harm.

I will leave the critiquing to you, as all I am good for is ego-stroking. I don't have the technical knowledge or the heart to actually review a piece, but you seem like you know what you're talking about. I'd be honored to get a review from you (but don't take that as a request because, indeed, "[my] sweet little heart can't take what [you] have to dish.")

Way to say what you mean!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The total number of reviews you have recieved for this work tells it all. I too like an honest straight to the point review. I also concure with each of the reviews that have come before.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I appreciate blunt honesty. I definitely wouldn't prefer lies if it could make my work better. Take ALB--I'm revising that out and I want it as blunt as it gets.

(On your friend request...does that mean you WANT to review that?...I would appreciate it =D)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lol

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope there are more people like you. A nice review might stroke your ego, but personally, a harsh review is better for me because I'm not actually satisfied with my work myself, so a nice review just makes things worse. It would be lovely to get a review from you. So yep... I like what you MEANT, but I didn't like the way you presented it. However, it didn't really look like you were concentrating on writing a poem, so I don't feel the need to talk about the structure, the vocabulary, etc.. It felt like a journal entry.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Personally I prefer a good honest review, as I prefer a good honest anything. What I find interesting about this is the feeling of challenge I get from it. Because of the attitude you present here it kind of makes me want to ask for reviews, just to be contrary. I don't think that was your intention, and it's probably some deep seeded psychological damage revealing itself, but that's what I feel when I read this.
On a more technical note your first stanza, after the little quip in the begining of course, takes on a good question and answer-esque scheme, which makes the reader feel a little bit like they are being spoken to. Perhaps even down to, but that's beyond the point. The reader is also brought in closer by the first person staging throughout, yet again this could be good or bad. Phrases like "I don't give a crap...", "Sweat little..." and "What I have to dish." also make the peice have an attitude which is challenging, and that's probably what triggered what I refered to in my first paragraph.
As an aside I might add that my ego could actually do with some leveling so please, by all means, review away.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's not a bad piece of work and i understand the concept. People shouldn't always expect to get great reviews and sometimes the most honest review (even when they are harsh) are the most useful. I do agree with Alessander that perhaps your poem can be rearranged or put in an essay format because the rhythm just seems a little bit off, especially in the last three stanzas.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I aggree with you and I aggree with Aveira, however I must review your poem honestly and say that it isn't very good at all. I mean wow, it doesn't even rhyme. (okay that was a joke) But seriously there is no meter and the punctuation is pretty whack. (I guess you can decide if that was a joke). (maybe what i really meant to say is this isn't a poem). (I'm tired of this inner monologue).

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is not a poem - seems harsh, but it sounds more like an essay chopped up to look like a poem. So I woud suggest restructuring it to be prose - Hope THIS reveiw wasn't too harsh lol

And of course, I can relate to the feeling - but relating to a piece is said to be the most narcissictic of reasons to like a piece, as you allude to.

Posted 14 Years Ago


6 of 7 people found this review constructive.

i love the brutal honest that the poem shows
if you think about it you're right
mundus vult decipi
latin saying meaning the world invites deception. beautifully written

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

863 Views
51 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2009
Last Updated on July 17, 2009

Author

V. Lucien Maier
V. Lucien Maier

Tooele, UT



About
V. Lucien Maier was born in 1973, in Amersfoort, in the Netherlands. His father a civil engineer had a love of travel, and both parents loved skiing. When the opportunity arose to move to .. more..

Writing
WooF WooF

A Story by V. Lucien Maier



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..