Don't ask me To review.....

Don't ask me To review.....

A Poem by V. Lucien Maier
"

lots of people ask me to review. Read this, if you still want me to review let me know I will be happy to.

"

you don't want that.

You ask me,
I would like you to review these words.
But when I do,
you are stung by my honesty.
You say I am mean,
But I just want you to get better.
You say I am unfair,
but in the end what I say is the truth.

Because in the end I don't give a crap about your feelings,
In the End I only care about your work.

So don't ask me to review.
you can ask me to read and not offer my ideas.
you can ask me not to look at all.
but, don't ask me to review.

because, I take writing very seriously,
and if I see something wrong with a piece I will not stand by,
I will not say you are a great talent unless you are.
I will not lie, or help your ego
I am here to improve my work,
and to help others improve theirs.

I don't know what you are here for,
but don't ask me to review....
Your sweet little heart can't take what I have to dish.




 

© 2009 V. Lucien Maier


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think you're right when you say that people shouldn't ask for a review on something they wrote if they aren't prepared for blunt honesty. However, I disagree with the fact that blunt honesty has to be something to hurt their ego. If I'm going to review something and say it had it's faults, I wouldn't say it in a way that hurts the person's ego, because they weren't acting conceited at all, they were just looking for help, you know?

Though I think everyone appreciates a good, honest and clear review, I don't think a person should be nasty about it. I also think (actually I know this as a fact) if a person has low self esteem, then they're going to jump in and defend their work if they think that you're telling them they all out suck in the writing field, which is probably a response you've gotten to some reviews. Really, if you're going to be honest then don't be nasty, is all I'm trying to say. ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

well now what do I really think .. of this? I think that people who repect their own work tend to not mind reviews good or bad , but if the person is a tad insecure a bad review awakens that urge to defend. I try not to defend I try to listen to reviews the writer has the option to agree or dissagree with anyone's opinion as the reader has the right to like or dislike or truly state what faults they find to be present in the work that they review and if a writer is insecure then they would best be served not to post it for review. I am sometimes suspect of empty praise , I worked as a script annalist for a short time I did not recieve info on the writers , I was honest and I panned a script that actually did get produced and I thought the movie as as bad as the script . My point is that in the end the writer decides if the critic is good or bad and a good writer will regonise against their ego's advice what to take heed to and what is just flattery or bitter reviewer.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I understand where these words are coming from. When reviewing a person, someone wants to be honest as possible, so that they can help the person in their writing. A simple, "that was so niiiice," won't do anyone much good, although it is still considerate to leave a review. A writer should post their work with the intention of getting honest feedback, and when they do they should use it and not complain. "I will not lie, or help your ego" this line is something that all reviewers should keep in mind.

But, although I agree with what you are trying to say, I still think care should be taken in a review. Telling someone their work was absolutely horrible won't help a writer either. When reviewing, a person should tell what improvements the author's work may have needed, but in a way that won't scare the author away from writing. There is a difference from being honest, and from being mean.

Well, I enjoyed the truth in this poem. I'm very glad you shared; this is a piece worth reading.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow.. fantastic.. I can certainly respect your opinion as well as many others as myself I am more one to review with praise based on emotions and the overall vision or inspiration that I find in a piece. I write in freestyle with rhyme mostly right now; experimenting with a few other styles too. Many may find my work immature or simple because it is and I enjoy encouraging the youth and newer writers starting out.

I find it is important to remember that there are people on various levels writing here as this is a free public site and some are releasing emotions and seeking inspiration which can even be found in the basics of writing. I speak for them.. the younger children who are abused.. neglected and all walks who merely aspire to be great and dream. Depending on who you aspired to be growing up like Shakespeare, Poe, Bukowski and many others.. not all great writers were of highly skilled education and/or background bringing a profound spectrum to the art world. I like the fact you are so open and stating that you will not just harshly review just anyone's writings and placing a warning on this that you will give concise criticism if requested.

I hope other harsher critiques will consider your method as it would show more respect to the other types and levels of writers. The more serious writers on the way up do need good reviewers with more background, they love a challenge and some don't want sugar-coating! As I improve my skills, I look forward to having you to review some of my select writings, serious skills will not improve without that level of criticism at some point!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Very blunt, and honest, like your reviews. Very concise and conversational, something I think can catch people's attention

So review my s**t anyhow =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Now I'm just being "honest" here, but you, sir, sound very full of yourself. Really this is almost like announcing "Nothing is good enough for me. Don't even try."

I'm all for honesty, but it's not your place to critique your fellow writers to the point of having to write a poem to explain yourself. You're probably not being as helpful as you think you are, so don't waste your time.

Posted 14 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

This sounds like something I've recently said. "You're story was great," never really helped anyone.

If you ever get in the mood to just trash someone's work, feel free to review me - and be as harsh as you wish ;)

Just a note about the ellipsis: I'm pretty sure if it is used to end a sentence there should be a space between it and the period (http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm). Ha!

All joking aside, I loved this piece. Thank you for sharing. Continue hurting people's feelings, because if they can't take it they won't be in the writing/publishing world very long anyway.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I fixed the I Big thanks to Mhk Melvin for the catch!
...
7-10-09 Thanks for all the reviews, I love seeing everyone's opinion on this piece.
7-20-09 Again thanks for all the reviews. If you are wanting me to review a piece after you read this
email or send me a read request. I wish I had the time to dig through profiles but I just don't sorry.


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well very nicely stated. Truthful and to the point. But since you would point out the errors for others, I hope that means you want others to point out your errors? You forgot to CAP the last 'I'. So close to perfection, missed it by that much. {lol}

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Hello Friend,
You can review my stuff; I would appreciate any help I can get. Praise helps to inspire, but constructive criticism helps to better one's work. I would just advice when you give a review, that you start with something positive about the work, something you liked about it, and then you can go into what you feel needs to be fixed. That is just how I was taught in school to give a peer review; this was so we did not end up punching each other out in class, LOL. You do not have to sugar coat it for me though; I can take it. Come one, come all, and let me know what you think of my work, please! I could use the help.

Thanks for the read.
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Hm. Well...after reading this, i'm not sure your opinions would matter much.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

863 Views
51 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2009
Last Updated on July 17, 2009

Author

V. Lucien Maier
V. Lucien Maier

Tooele, UT



About
V. Lucien Maier was born in 1973, in Amersfoort, in the Netherlands. His father a civil engineer had a love of travel, and both parents loved skiing. When the opportunity arose to move to .. more..

Writing
WooF WooF

A Story by V. Lucien Maier



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..