Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Luna Kusan

Chapter One

 “Meemee!” Sasuka yelled at me in the middle of the court yard, “Would you come over here and eat lunch already?”

“Merodi  Chiryo, I promise you if you don’t eat right now you won’t have an eternal melody!” Kasukie joined in.

I sighed and gave a soft smile at my friends, “Alright I will be there in a minute.” I managed to mumble before staring back at the open fields the school gazed at on a daily bases.

Looking away, I started back towards everyone else when my eyes caught sight of a blond haired boy sitting several feet away from me. He was handsome, but he looked as deadly as the edge of a blade.  My heart caught in my throat when I looked him in the eyes, they were amber. So strange, but then again he looked extremely strange. I shook off the uneasy feeling I was getting from him and continued towards Sasuka and Kasukie. The longer I walked to the area they were in, the more the uneasy feeling I was getting was sinking in and freaking me out.

Sasuka raised her eye brow at me, “You alright, Meme? You seem distant today.”

“No, no. I’m fine. It’s just… I noticed that new boy and I’ve never seen him before today, but it seems so strange as if… something was pulling me to him.”

“You have lost your mind.” Kasukie said bluntly.

I let out a soft laugh, “Okay, so what if I have? It isn’t my fault I just now noticed him, is it?”

Sasuka looked over at him, “Noticing a fine young man like that, oh not at all!”

I glared at her a little before taking my spot at our table. She laughed as she sat across from me and dug into her salad. Kasukie shook his head and sat down, leaning back in his chair so it was only on two legs. I promise that the day he falls on his butt because he does that is the day I will find my true love. Shaking my head I took a bite of my own salad and gazed back towards the area that the young man was at. He was sketching something into a small black notebook, his blond hair hanging low in his face. It wasn’t till he looked up and I saw his amber eyes that I realized I was staring. I bit my lip and looked away, feeling my face fluster. Sasuka kicked me under the table, making me yelp and instantly catching my attention. I scolded her, daring her to laugh.

“Who’s the new kid, anyways?” I asked her.

Kasukie looked back at him, “I think his name is Yoshiro. He’s in my literature class.”

Sasuka raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow, “Again, he is very fine.” She said, over exaggerating the last word, “ Don’t you agree, Meemee?”

“Huh?”

“Well, it’s obvious that you’ve been staring him down.”

“Shut up Sasuka!” I pushed out of my mouth as my face flustered.

 

Twice she has managed to mention how attractive he was, and twice I have flustered up, great!

            “Are you leaving school early today?” Kasukie asked me.

            “Huh, yeah I am. Right after lunch I have to leave and get ready for work.”

            “Do you mind if we drop by after school?” He asked me through a mouthful of beans and rice.

            “Do I ever?”

He smirked and leaned back a little more, his face suddenly contorted into shock as he fell backwards on to the ground. I gasped and went to stand up when Sasuka ran over to him. What the hell just happened, exactly? I took a deep breath as I remembered something I was thinking early, did I jinx myself? I took a deep breath trying to sooth my crackling nerves before looking towards the tree where Yoshiro was sitting only to find him gone. This is becoming extremely strange, and making me want to leave sooner for work. I was ready for Tsuyo, my older brother, to hurry up and text me to late me know he was on the way to pick me up. Sasuka looked at me and tried to help Kasukie off of the ground. Laying on the table, my phone started going off as it tried to alert me to a message. I picked it up and tapped the screen to see the message,

                        Merodi, I’ll be there soon. Be ready!                         -Tsuyo

I sighed trying to hide the small smile that was playing peek-a-boo on my lips, “Guys I have to go. Tsuyo just texted and said he’s almost here.”

“Your really cute older brother? Can I go?” Sasuka asked playfully.

“No, Sasuka. Try to help Kasukie get cleaned up,” I said raising an eye brow “He is a mess.”

He gave a small smirk making me bite my bottom lip to keep from laughing. I grabbed my things and waved bye as I started towards the student parking lot.

 

                       ~}|{~

By the time I reached the parking lot, Tsuyo was pulling up in our old midnight blue ’86 Camero. I smiled and waited for him to stop before slipping into the passenger seat. I pulled my store uniform out of my bag and stuffed the rest of my stuff inside of it before tossing it in the back.

“So how was school?” Tsuyo asked, turning down the radio.

“It was pretty good actually. Kasukie fell on his behind.”

“About time, I warned him about leaning on the back of the chair legs.” He said snickering.

“Yeah, I guess so. I’m ready for work though. Mr. Dale said he was going to give me a raise sometime this week. I’m really looking forward to it.” I said beaming a little at the thought.

“Oh really now? He never gave me a raise when I worked there. Cheap old man.” He grumbled under his voice.

“That’s probably because you were always late, dummy.”

He shrugged as to make a comeback to my statement. Stopping in front of Mr. Dale’s grocery store, he gave me a soft kiss on the cheek then said goodbye telling me that he’d be there at nine to pick me up. All I could do is smile and tell him I’d see him later. The day had gone by pretty fast but I was sure that work wouldn’t, and even if it did I doubt the odd feeling in my stomach would go away any time soon. I went to the employees’ restroom to change into my uniform then went ahead and started cleaning up the store while there were no customers. It didn’t take long for rush hour to start, and I was instantly at the cash register helping customers left and right.  It seemed like hours had passed before customers finally slowed down and now there was a strange smell in the air. The smell of gas was flooding the store, but I didn’t think anything of it.

 I made my way towards the back of the store, smiling at customers and fixing a few products while I walked. I was taken back when the smell became stronger, but I didn’t turn back instead I kept going forward, head first into the smell. It was strange if I really thought about it, because everything was slowing down around me. I took a deep breath, but all I took in was the taste of gas which was horrible. I started to cough and covered my mouth to walk further in when I smelled smoke. It was thick and soon enough I could see it seeping out of the storage room. I coughed harder, feeling my lungs burn inside of my body. Reaching the storage room I pushed the door, but it wouldn’t open. Coughing a few more times I slammed my right side against the door repeatedly until it opened. With my right side hurting, I pushed through the door only to be greeted by wild flames that were rapidly consuming the room. My eyes widened, fear swelled in me as I let out an ear piercing scream. I turned to run, but I couldn’t move fast enough. I could see customers running out and some on their cell phones outside the store.

           I was trapped in smoke as I tried to escape the flames that were tailing me. I could move fast enough and there was no other exit besides the one at the back of the store where the fire was burning the brightest. How could this happen? The store is in perfect condition, or was in perfect condition. My own thoughts stopped me from reaching the next aisle, I realized as I fell and land hard on the floor. Barely managing to crawl, I looked up trying to see through the thick smoke.

                       “Help...” I said, my voice weak, “Please. Somebody help me.” My voice wavering as tears formed in my eyes.

           I wasn’t ready to die yet. It wasn’t my time yet, it just couldn’t be! Why won’t anyone help me!? I’m going to die, alone in a pit of fire, I thought to myself trying to crawl a little further up as to get away from the fire the best that I could.

                       “Please, someone help me! I am not ready to die!” I cried out in a shrill child-like voice.

           I was fading as the smoke thickened around me, engulfing my body in its fumes. My lungs were hurting and burning, while my heart was pounding against my chest at the speed of a racing horse. This was it, my last moments of life, and the last thing I will ever see is black smoke.  I wish I could see my brother and father, even if only a minute, but it’s too late for me. I laid my head down on the hot floor ready to give up when a cold hand gripped my arm.

                       “You’re not going to die. Please stay alive, Merodi. You’ll be okay, I promise.” A deep voice shouted.

           I coughed hard, feeling like I was going to cough up every organ in my body. When I lifted my head, my eyes met eyes of solid amber that reminded me of velvet. I knew those eyes, and even now when I’m so weak I know who they belong to, but what is Yoshiro doing here? I could feel him hoisting me into his arms, clutching me close to his body. I have never been so close to anyone before, and surprisingly my nerves and fears calmed if only slightly. I am safe in his arms, at least I hope so. My thoughts might just have ended up being the cause of my death.

                       “Listen, you’ll be okay just try not to take to many deep breaths.” He said softly.

           I nodded my answer and leaned my head against his sturdy chest. Where did he come from and how did he know I was in here? I could hear sirens ringing close by. He was rushing to get us out. Soon enough I realized he had been running through the fire. The entire store was up in flames that burned like nothing I have felt before. Suddenly, I felt cool air push against my skin. We were finally out of the store!

                       “Merodi, please say something. Say anything.” He whispered, but I couldn’t answer. I could barely breathe.

           In a rush, I could hear paramedics ordering Yoshiro to lay me on a stretcher so they could help me. Was I going to live or die? I could feel Yoshiro’s hand on top of mine. He was mumbling but I could barely hear what he was saying. I felt the paramedics lift me into an ambulance. It must be bad for me to have to go to the hospital. After they settled me inside of the ambulance I lost conscience and fell asleep. I’m not sure if I should have but I couldn’t stop myself. I couldn’t hear them talking anymore, or Yoshiro’s voice keeping me awake. What would happen to me now? I wonder if I am going to die like my mother.



© 2013 Luna Kusan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my god that last line. so this story made me remember "Curiosity killed that cat" Lol but on other hand, that was still amazing! I'll give my edits later on, if i find anything that needs editing xD But still yet, really good! And keep writing~ I look forward to it ^^

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Awesome cliffhanger and I can't believe I didn't see this until now. Love the picture you used by the way and you really should update your word count. It's after you click the button on the right of the nano home page.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my god that last line. so this story made me remember "Curiosity killed that cat" Lol but on other hand, that was still amazing! I'll give my edits later on, if i find anything that needs editing xD But still yet, really good! And keep writing~ I look forward to it ^^

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 7, 2013
Last Updated on November 8, 2013


Author

Luna Kusan
Luna Kusan

Griffin, GA



About
http://www.glogster.com/lunakin/myglogster Name: Luna Kusan House of Night: Sylien, Priestess Affinity:All five elements, deaeth, true sight, mind reading, move things with mind. Familiar:.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Luna Kusan