Ch 7 - Qabalistic Quietus

Ch 7 - Qabalistic Quietus

A Chapter by Klara Lyne

The next few days were a blur of fighting practices and battle tips as we prepared for the ambush. As the days passed, Jonsa and I had become good friends even though he couldn’t understand much of what I was saying. He could usually guess what I asked, but when he got completely lost Hwajay would conveniently come up behind him and tell him exactly what I was thinking. My heart would flutter every time he spoke my mind. I noticed how Hwajay fought in the practices. No one was able to beat him. He was so strong and fluid with his movements that he could win any battle. As I would watch him, I would notice that I wasn’t the only one fond of his powerful skill and charming personality. Kamokeh and a new friend of hers have also been watching him, along with several other females that I haven’t yet learned the names of.  They all came in different sizes, species, and even ages. An old granny Abath, who had a broken horn in the middle of her forehead, and a few ripped rags covering her hide, was also watching the large white dragon, as she washed cloths and mended the rips in various garments.

“Looks like the competition is a bit too great for me, huh?” Inau, broke my train of thought.

“What do you mean, Inau?” Jonsa asked sitting next to me, as he sharpened his claws on a stone, “What competition is there?”

I giggled at him, then glanced at Hwajay as he took a break from practice and went to get a drink from a tub of water that was surrounded by the other females that Inau mentioned was our competition.

“No really, is there a competition today? Is it a battle competition? Can anyone join?” Jonsa continued to ask. “I bet I could win a few battles in the competition you’re talking about.”

“Ha! You think you could win a battle against Hwajay?” Inau piped in. “Keep dreaming.” She got up and grabbed my wrist, causing me to bend over as she pulled me along next to her short body. 

We left Jonsa sitting on the log as he measured up Hwajay, imagining how to beat him in a battle. Inau led me to the other side of a hut where we peered around the corner, to get a better look at Hwajay. My heart sank as I saw Kamokeh holding a bucket of water for him as he drank. He lifted his head and thanked her, then turned back around to get back to training. I looked down to ask Inau something but she was gone. I looked all around me before I realized she was already right up behind Kamokeh. I ran after her as she yelled at Kamokeh.

“What are you doing? Who do you think you are?” Inau yelled at her.

“I haven’t done anything. What are….”

“Haven’t done anything!?” Inau snapped. “You are flirting with another male!”

“What does it matter how many males I talk to? I can do as I please.” Kamokeh defended herself as her fur began to stand on end.

“You should only be loyal to one male. He is a great guy and he doesn’t deserve this kind of behavior from his girlfriend!” Inau’s tail flicked from side to side furiously.

“Girlfriend?” Kamokeh echoed. “Who are you talking about?”

Inau drew back a bit in confusion. “Jonsa of course.” Her tail went limp and her floppy ears perked half up as she tried to understand the situation. I jumped slightly at Kamokeh’s sudden laugh.

“I’m not Jonsa’s girlfriend, haha. I’m just his friend.” She continued to giggle. “He’s more like a brother to me than anything else. If we were a couple that would just be…” She laughed again. “…it would just be so weird.”

“Whats going on?” Jonsa asked as Inau’s face went from her pale white complexion to a soft red.

“Inau thought you and I were a couple.” Kamokeh giggled as she folded her arms and towered over Inau’s short figure. Jonsa looked at Inau and shook his head with a smile, then glanced at me.

“We never were a couple. She’s like a sister to me.”

“Well then why didn’t anyone tell me that before I got upset?” Inau said silently then turned and walked past me, disappearing around the corner of the hut.

“What?” Kamokeh asked me as I gave her a quick glare, then ran after Inau. I turned another corner and watched her tail disappear into the Yak’s hut. I snuck over to the entrance and crouched down as I tried to listen to what she was saying.

“What’s the matter Inau?” Yak asked with his powerful deep voice.  “Here, drink this.” I heard her sip something and then give a deep sigh.

“Why doesn’t anyone treat me like a member of this group?” She asked. “Just because I’m small and had a difficult past, doesn’t make me any less of the pack.”

“They just don’t know what to say. You just have to show them, you’re better than what they think. You and Inau have impressed me more times than I can count, Chongak.” 

“Shhh! How many times have I told you that’s not my name anymore? Chongak is dead to me. I’m Inau now and have been for a long time.” She snapped angrily at him as I heard the cup fall to the ground. 

“Inau, then.” Yak breathed. “What happened to her wasn’t your fault, and taking her name won’t help you move on.”

“But taking her name will keep her in my heart, and its comforted me for a long time.” She explained. “Please respect my wishes, Yak.” I heard her feet land on the floor with a thud. “I’ve respected yours.”

“Alright.” Yak responded as I heard her coming to the door. I backed around the corner just in time for the door to be pushed open and Inau walk out. I watched her run off into the forest, but before I began to chase her, I saw Ounsu fly off after her. Figuring she would be safe enough with Ounsu, I walked back to the training area and started training.

I couldn’t think very well and ended up landing on my back more than usual. What she said in Yaks hut was poking at my mind the rest of the day. If her real name was Chongak, then who was the real Inau, and why had she taken her name? Did anyone else know her secret? At this point I was glad that I was mute, because if I could talk I would never be able keep this a secret. 

As the sun fell lower in the sky, we all gathered around the fire and Daegom stood tall as he began his announcement. “We have trained hard and learned well. Thanks to Ounsu’s ability to sneak over to the Human village without getting caught, we were able to find a safe path to the enemy area, and the best entrance for our invasion. “

Cheers broke out as others congratulated Ounsu, or patted her on the head for a job well done. “Since tonight is the new moon and it is the darkest night of the month, we will be leaving TONIGHT!” His voice boomed and caused my heart to sink. I knew this night would come, but I didn’t feel prepared at all.

“You’ll do fine, Sachi.” Mae said behind me, noticing my scared expression. I looked at her and gave a weak smile and she nudged my shoulder with hers.  I saw Hwajay standing tall on the other side of the fire talking to Daegom who was only a head taller than him, though Hwajay was much longer in length. Daegom smiled at him and patted his shoulder, and Haenami gave him a respectful nod before all three of them walked off together.

“Hwajay will be the next leader of your clan. He’s in training right now as Daegom’s apprentice.” Mae informed as she followed my gaze.  “He told me once over dinner a few nights ago, just before asking about you.”

I jumped at her words, then pointed to my chest. “Yes, he asked about you. Said he was going to find a Mage to give you a voice, right after this battle tonight of course.”

My heart fluttered with excitement. He cares about me getting a voice, and he asked about how I was doing. I smiled at her felt more ready to battle than I did before. She left after giving me a wink, then I grabbed the hand knife that I had been working on the last week and tied it around my ankle. I looked off to my right and saw that Inau, and Ounsu were packing some berries and bits of fish into small sacks. I don’t remember seeing them return but they must have been there for a while, since there were several bags already full and waiting for us to take.

Within moments the entire group of warriors grabbed a sack of food and were ready for battle. I grabbed one of the last sacks and walked with the group into the dark forest. The sky was black and the only light we could see were the stars above. Those who could see in the dark were assigned to walk with those who could not, so that we didn’t have anyone get lost or left behind.  I was assigned to walk with a smaller creature that looked very similar to Mae, but she had no wings. Her head reached my ribs and she stood on all fours. Her fur color was a beautiful ruddy cinnamon color that gradually got darker on the tip of her tail and on the base of her beak. The tip of her tail had a black tuft of fur that matched the tips of her ears and the base of her beak. I stared at her as she stumbled around in the dark. I placed my hand on her shoulder so she would know I was there with her. We walked behind Kisang who hopped next to a huge wolf like creature that had grass instead of fur. I got chills as I watched his grassy fur shimmer in the dim starlight. He scared me, but I reminded myself that he was on my side. Iljo walked next to the grassy wolf creature while holding a knife and wearing a few other battle weapons strapped to his chest and waste. His bright hair made him easy to spot in the dark.

“Ouch!” I felt the wingless version of Mae trip under my hand. I bent down to her and helped her back on her paws, then patted her shoulder and stood up.

“I’m sorry. I feel so useless, like I’m slowing everyone down.” She paused. I gave a weak awkward giggle and continued walking while I guided her with my hand. “My name is Gyepi.”

“My name is Sachi.” I started to sign to her with my right hand, while my left continued to stay on her shoulder. A few seconds rolled before she cut in. “So…what’s your name?”  

I then realized she couldn’t see in the dark, and may not even know how to talk with her hands. I slapped my palm to my forehead in irritation, as I tried to think of a way to tell her I was mute.

The walk was long and awkward as Gyepi became more offended with my silence. She stopped asking me questions several hours ago and now just walks stiffly next to me. When we finally got to the outskirts of the human village, I was able to let go of her shoulder and she walked away to find someone she knew. I ran to a spot near Hwajay, nervous for the fight. Daegom and Haenami lead the group to the entrance that Ounsu revealed to them. We came to a ditch of water that had a large flat slab of wood placed over it so we could cross. Then a large wooden wall appeared, that I thought were just tightly knit trees, but then noticed that there were no wholes, and the consistency was more than natural. The base of the wall has a small opening that was dark inside and seemed to go on for a long time, like a cave. Haenami went in first since she was smaller and black, which makes her disappear in the dark.

Daegom began to follow, just before a yell echoed through the cave, and Haenami few out in a flash as dozens of arrows sprung out of the dark entrance. We all scattered and tried to dodge the arrows, but some were hit and killed instantly. Fear grew inside me as I dodged an arrow and saw Iljo run into the dark entrance with anger. I then saw the humans scattering out of the tunnel and into the open, to get away from the lizard man. One of the humans that ran out had a much longer and thicker arrow that he aimed toward Daegom as he rose into the air to fly away. Daegom saw the human and blew a stream of fire at him at the same time he threw the spear. The human was burnt to a crisp and the wood wall behind him went up in flames.

I stood behind a tree in the distance and watched Daegom blow fire at the wall and at the humans who were beginning to scatter and retreat. More arrows flew over the wall from humans that we couldn’t see. Deagoms scales bounced them off easily while he flew up and started to blow fire inside the walls. I heard screams and soon the arrows stopped coming and Daegom called a retreat. We turned and ran as great balls of fire were launched at us over the wall. We ran into the darkness and I searched for Gyepi, remembering that she couldn’t see well in the dark. I saw Kisang hop past me and Jonsa was right behind her. Other shadows were scampering about all around me; one with bright orange hair. I looked up and noticed that I didn’t see Daegom or Haenami flying over us.

I stopped and looked back. Hwajay was flying up behind me along with other winged creatures, but Daegom wasn’t there. I ran back as fast as I could, nearly slamming into a few oncoming creatures, including Gyepi, who looked terrified. I continued to run back, trying to find my leaders. I then got to a burning forest that was set on fire by the humans, where I spotted a white wing glide over the flaming tree tops to my left. I dodged around the blaze and avoided the smoke as best I could until I could see Daegom. He was gliding slow and wobbly into the trees just meters away from me. I ran into the trees and the further I go to him the less fire there was. Soon there was no smoke in sight, and my breath was nearly out. I stopped at a large pine tree and saw Daegom and Haenami lying on the ground next to each other. Daegom was holding his chest, which was growing black, while Haenami cried and tried to tell him it would be ok as she looked around frantically for anything that could help.

I stumbled toward them in disbelief. I walked to his massive dragon body and realized that it was glowing brighter in the starlight than even the moon seemed to give off.

“Sachi!” Haenami yelled. “Sachi go get help! Find Yak!” She panted as she pushed against Daegoms chest, in the middle of the blackening wound. I nodded as Daegom breathed unsteady sharp breaths and wheezing. His tail was stiff and shaking and his eyes were fluttering at the sky. The image was so horrible that I couldn’t remember what Haenami had said. I stood there staring at them.

“Sachi! What are you doing? Go find Yak!” She yelled again. I jumped and began to run past her into the forest where I imagined the group had gathered. As I ran I heard her cry and scream as Daegom moaned and growled in pain. Then a few leaps later I couldn’t hear them at all, but I just kept running.


© 2013 Klara Lyne


Author's Note

Klara Lyne
This chapter will be divided into several more chapters with more action and more information and clues leading into the next book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 4, 2013