THE EMPTY BOAT

THE EMPTY BOAT

A Story by LynnPenCakes
"

A seemingly empty boat becomes a vessel used by the Master to provide safety to His child.

"

THE EMPTY BOAT

 

While walking alone down an empty leaf strewn path I came upon a clearing and could see a beautiful body of blue water.  As I walked in closer to enjoy the view I noticed a boat, oars resting inside as it had been pulled up on the bank and left to sit.  I walked over to inspect it further.  It was a charming old boat, but yet, here it set alone.

 

I climbed inside and sat on the middle seat and my thoughts began to wander.  What kind of stories could this little boat tell me of things that it had gone through?  I wondered as I felt the boat come alive.  I was consumed in the life of this little boat as I now found myself out, far away from the bank, while waves of that great body of water lapped about, splashing inside occasionally.

 

I then noticed an old fisherman, he was laying very still, hat pulled down over his face still clutching his fishing pole in his hand as the line disappeared into the deep waters below.  Here he lay sleeping peacefully in this little boat unaware of things around him, yet I was impressed by his peace.

 

I looked about to see if there were any other boats nearby or anyone that could awaken this man for he had drifted quite far out into the deep.  The water tossing about was empty however.  The sun was now dipping in the sky and I anxiously wondered what to do... I seemed to be there in spirit for all the talking and jostling I did, this man would not awaken.  He just lay there, still, chest gently rising and falling as he breathed peacefully, resting.

 

All of a sudden I noticed the tip of his fishing pole begin to dip, dip, dip as I knew something had taken the bait that must of been attached to the end of that elusive line.  Much to my amazement however he never let go of that fishing pole, it remained securely in his grasp.  As I watched, the boat began to turn slowing as the tip of that old pole would dip and straighten, dip and straighten.  The boat was moving, moving towards the bank, still such a distance away.  The wind began to pick up and this seemed to push the little boat further into shore as well.

 

As I watched this unfold, I was seeing this little boat make it's way back to the shore as the sun was about to set while this old man slept peacefully.  Suddenly inside the boat there was movement as I watched the old man place his hat back onto his head.  He reeled in his fishing line, bait gone from the end and lay the pole in the boat. Grasping the oars, he rowed the short distance now to the shore.  He seemingly did not know how far out he had drifted while he slept his peaceful sleep. 

 

Arriving to the shore he jumped out splashing in the water as he grabbed the boat and pulled it securely up onto the bank and dry land.  Taking his pole from the boat he made his way down the path and out of sight.

 

I stood now looking at the boat as in the beginning as the Lord began to speak to my heart.  He explained how this old man was His child, trusted in Him, leaned on Him and rested in Him.  When I felt the concern for his safety, God was there, had always been there and put into place those things that only an all powerful, all knowing God can do and kept His child safe, all the while the child rested in Him, in perfect peace and safety.

 

I learned a lesson that day, that despite all our travails, all our frustrations, all our fretting trying to solve our own problems and live our lives... if we will but trust in the Lord and lean not to our own understanding, He will direct our path.

 

That day as I stood there on the mossy bank of that great body of water, looking into the once again empty boat I knelt and asked the Lord to forgive me for steering my own boat, to wash me clean in His eternal living water of the word and blood of the Lamb and to guide my every step even when I am unaware of His presence... just as I had witnessed this day.

 

The Lord began to remind me how one day he was likened to that man in the boat, resting peacefully when a tempest arose on the sea.  His disciples became fretful as they looked at the circumstances instead of to Him.  With one word, He changed their situation.  His presence now resoundingly speaks to my heart...

My child, I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end...not one that the Father has given have I lost or will I loose.  I have not brought you this far to leave you, trust, rest and be at peace...

 

With the sun now setting low, it's warmth fading but felt upon my back, I walked the leaf strewn path with a new feeling in my heart.  I knew I was in the safe and strong keeping of the Lord.. I had been there all along but now I knew with my heart I chose to walk in it.

© 2008 LynnPenCakes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on August 1, 2008

Author

LynnPenCakes
LynnPenCakes

Hill Country of Texas, TX



About
I am here to practice and improve upon the skill of writing. I like to think that what ends up as words within a story or poem originated deep within my heart as a message that brings comfort, joy or.. more..

Writing