THE BRIDGE

THE BRIDGE

A Story by LynnPenCakes
"

A bridge is just a bridge, or it it?

"

THE BRIDGE


I found myself walking along a path one day, when in the distance a shape began to give way.  To my surprise I was coming upon the most enchanting and beautiful of old structures, a bridge of yesterday.  A bridge that had lost most of it's purpose and usefulness while just a few miles to the east a busy interstate could be heard providing  travelers their way.

I walked slowly ahead looking all about.  This bridge was quite ornamental with various carvings making for a very pleasing sight.  I noticed over top, the railing stood tall and proud and came together in the center being touched by trees standing about lending their shade.

As I slowed and began to look over this most alluring of structures I began to make out carvings of a more personal nature.  While there were insignias and emblems, beautiful twirly carvings and metal fixtures speaking of the maker of this bridge and their eye for beauty,  I also found initials carved within heart shapes that seemed to say... "we live, we live".

I walked out onto the bridge and looked about as now I could see the great gulf it stretched over to provide a means to the other side.  The view was breathtaking and covered in all manner of texture and color as the colorful wild flowers grew in clumps, red-orange earth could be seen scattered with rocks of many sizes and a gently flowing stream made it way to places afar off.

Thick wooden slats were the floor of this old bridge and deep wounds from years of use could be seen.  I knew this bridge was still used by some of the country folks that lived about as it's strength could be felt in it's sureness as one walked out onto it but mostly kids could be seen in the summer months sitting with their fishing poles casting makeshift lines into the stream several feet below hoping for that catch of the day.

As I considered this bridge I began to think of how Jesus is our bridge of hope in a world busy and rushing along.  For so many they know of him, even know where to find him but have become so busy with the cares of the day pushing them onto the interstate of life, their time spent with him and taking in all of his wonders and rest is short.

Still, just as the bridge stands and welcomes travelers a way to get to the other side,  Jesus stands as that bridge of hope for all who would come unto him.

© 2008 LynnPenCakes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 1, 2008

Author

LynnPenCakes
LynnPenCakes

Hill Country of Texas, TX



About
I am here to practice and improve upon the skill of writing. I like to think that what ends up as words within a story or poem originated deep within my heart as a message that brings comfort, joy or.. more..

Writing