1 - Day One - Kill me now

1 - Day One - Kill me now

A Chapter by Lyzzie Kent
"

Walking unfamiliar roads. A new beginning.

"
The day starts the same as every other day with the rude shrilling of the alarm abruptly interrupting my dreamless deathlike sleep. Daybreak is still over an hour away, and the only light is the glow from my iPhone as it trumpets out the same piercing notes over and over again. Why I set my alarm for this ungodly hour I have no idea. Still lost in the foggy remnants of sleep, I slowly sit up, and without a thought to where I am reaching, I fumble around trying to locate the screaming device. Finding it's cord I absently follow its path until the smooth glass finds its way to my finger tips. It takes a few tries but I finally silence the alarm, after repeatedly swiping left to right.

For me the hardest part of getting out of bed is the actual act of crawling out of bed. An internal battle is waged every morning, with the desire to fall back, snuggle in, and lose myself in the warmth almost too over whelming to bear. Being that it's pitch black really doesn't help.

Pushing myself up, I stand and stretch before slipping on a pair of warm fuzzy slippers. My room is cold, and is helping me with keeping my eyes open. I reach down and feel around blindly for the hoodie I know I dumped on the floor last night. Finding the heap I pull it over my head, keeping the hood on I try and tuck in my hair. The long blonde & aqua blue strands are staticky and don't cooperate, preferring to stick to my face and forehead. Frustrated I give up, bend down, unplug my phone before stuffing it into my front pocket.

Opening the door I start down the darkened hallway, not bothering to be quiet as there is no one here to disturb. The house is silent and cold as I make my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. I flick the overhead island lights on, bathing the room in an eerie blue/green glow. The artistic hand blown glass fixtures are a recent additions to the kitchen. Uglier then crap and expensive as hell. Another one of my mother's indulgences. New thing appear weekly, UPS and workmen have direct access at all times. I don't even notice any more.

Turning on the Kurieg coffee maker, I look through the pod collection as I wait for it to heat. I choose a dark roast Colombian and get it started before I amble toward the small powder room, just off the laundry. Not bothering to shut the door the room gradually lightens. The entire bathroom is automated. Everything sensor activated. My mother figures it's more hygienic. It's too bad she's not here to enjoy it.

Coffee ready, I wrap my hands around the mug, savouring it's warmth. Leaning up against the cool granite counter top, I sip at my coffee while I contemplate the day. I wish today was like every other day, but knowing what I have ahead of me, I feel slightly apprehensive. My life has changed drastically over the past few months and today is the day that I have to step up and out to face the world on my own.  Today, just four months shy of my eighteenth birthday, and four days into a brand new year, I will be going to a public school for the very first time.

I am called Princess and I live in my own personal hell.

This whole "first day of school" thing is harder then I thought it would be. After showering, figuring out what to wear is my first task and I'm failing terribly. I have no idea what "normal" kids wear to school. Ive never shopped at Wal-Mart or any other discount store. Barney's and Nordstroms are more my style. We only ever wore uniforms on campus, so I have nothing to go by. It's also really cold here, and my cute little skirts and T's just won't do. It's crazy that this is our family home and I have only been around in the summer and not every year either.

I settle on some faded jeans, ripped at the knees, a cute t-shirt, a pink Lululemon hoodie and my most comfy black Prada fur-lined combat boots. I top it off with an Alexander Wang leather bikers jacket. I twirl around in front of my mirror, happy with my look. I'm gonna like wearing what I want everyday.

I've decided to leave my hair down, soft blonde and blue ombré  waves framing my face as is cascades over my shoulders mid way down my back. Mascara, smokey eyeliner and lipgloss complete my prep. One last glance in the mirror and I'm ready to face the day.

Like, right! I'm scared shitless!

Because it's lightly snowing I decide to take the 4wd Land Rover. I definitely prefer my baby blue Mini Cooper but would hate it to get hurt on the slippery roads. Having only gone to exclusive private schools I have to admit that I am clueless and have no idea what to expect at the local public high school. It's been said that I've had a pretty cushy life up to this point and a somewhat spoiled existence but I figure that's not on me.  I had no choice in the matter, and I can honestly say I don't know any different. I have also never really thought about how other people live.

Up until last June I was keep pretty sheltered.  Blissfully unaware of everything but my own world. Protected by the buffer of money and a sense of security that wealth brings.  My friends and acquaintances at school were just like me.  Naive and superficial. You couldn't even really call us fake as we didn't know that our lives were just an act. We thought it normal to be raised by a community of nannies and professional parental surrogates. Our real parents were people we visited not people we shared our lives with. Maybe that's why I'm now indifferent to being alone. Living in a house which most would consider a mansion, all by myself. Go figure.

I turn on my GPS, even though I know the route by heart. I scoped the school out daily over the Christmas break, surprised how desolate and deserted it was. The grounds and parking lots empty. The snow accumulation only plowed yesterday. At my last school most of the kids stuck around during the holidays, preferring it to going home.  I was one of those kids who stayed on campus. My dorm room more of a home then anywhere else. They fancied up the grounds and common rooms, brought in trees for us to decorate and made the holidays as festive as possible. Which is more then what I can say about coming home.

As I make my way through the snowy streets my mind is racing thinking about how this was going to play out. Not only do I have to register, I need to figure out how I'm going to explain why I'm starting the school year in January and not September like every other student. It's imperative that I fly under the radar and to somehow hide the fact that I have zero parental supervision or authorized guardian. In my backpack nestled on the seat beside me I have my previous year's transcripts and a letter from the dean of students. I need to pull this off if I want to stay in my house and graduate this year.

At the school there's a small line up of cars are waiting to enter the parking lot. A mix of students and of parents who are dropping their kids off. There's also a line of orange buses blocking the view of the entrance. This gives me a chance to look around and I notice groups of kids surrounding different cars throughout the lot. As I pull in I see heads turn in my direction. My unfamiliar Land Rover is drawing attention I don't want. Maybe I should of held off and come after classes already started. Numerous sets of eyes follow me as I scout out a spot, and pull in.

Parked, I take a minute to psyche myself for this. It never used to bother me being the centre of attention, but now I crave anonymity. After a quick check in the visor mirror I open the door and grab my Coach backpack. I take a tentative step down out of the SUV praying I don't trip. I straighten to my full five foot eight height, flick my hair away from my face and take my first look around. My blue eyes take in the scene around me. I don't hear a sound, everything has stopped in my general vicinity. All eyes are on me. The new girl. Everyone seems interested.

Ignoring them all I head toward the front entrance. The farther I get from the student parking the more aware I become of my surroundings.  There are kids everywhere, and I can't figure out why they are hanging outside when it's so freaking cold and snowy. This weather is going to take a while to get used to. Small and large groups dot the grounds. A constant buzz of sound hangs in the air. Eyes are still on me as I navigate the groups.  The buses are leaving so I speed up my pace hitting the front steps as the first one drives by.

This school is fairly modern, unlike the buildings on my last campus. Lots of Windows, wooden beams and angled architecture. It seems inviting.  Walking through the front doors I can't help but notice the cavernous space directly in front of me.  Couches and loungers set up haphazardly amongst study tables and trees. Yes trees!! Looking up I see the vast glass panels that make up the ceiling. It's awesome and welcoming. 

A huge Campbell Valley Cougars banner spans the width. While other various posters dot available wall space.

Straight ahead are a series of oversize glass and wood panelled garage doors, that I can picture wide open during nicer weather. To the right is a cafeteria style food service centre complete with coffee bar, with a mixture of both students and teachers lined up.  On the left sets of doors are closed which based on the signage lead to the Auditorium. Stairs flank both sides of the cavern and as I look up to the the right I spot a sign with arrow that reads - Office.

Making my way up the stairs is a slow process, kids are camped on ever step sometimes three deep. I zig and I zag stepping over books and outstretched legs as I go. I keep my eyes down trying to find the path of least resistance. I feel a light bump against my backpack which stops me in my tracks.

"Sorry" I hear a soft voice behind me. Turning I spot the speaker right away. She looks embarrassed and is turning a deep colour of red. Hers eyes are down, and I can barely hear her mumble, "it was an accident". 

In a glance I take in her whole demeanour, brown hair pulled back in a sloppy ponytail, make-up less face, eyes downcast and shoulders hunched. She looks frightened, and shies away as I watch her.

WTH? What does she think I'm going do? Toss her down the stairs for an accidental bump? What goes on at this school?

"No worries" I smile at the girl. I keep watching her until she finally looks up. Her eyes are as dark as her hair and her face is blotchy from blushing. After a minute she tentatively smiles back. And with a small wave I turn and walk away. The strange encounter playing through my mind.

I follow the arrows and make my way to the office. A half wall and counter separate it from the open hallway, and when I peer in I see its empty of both students and staff. No one is visible as I wait at the counter. On my tip toes I lean as far over the counter as I can trying to see more of the area. There must some sort of secretary or administrator to be found. Leaning even more, I grab the back edge and my feet leave the ground.

Where is everyone?

"Hello?" I call out, to no effect. Nothing. I call out again, louder this time and still no response. I step back on my heels and look around for another way in but come up blank.

"This is freak'n crazy" I mumble to myself. Really I'm at a loss. Do I wait? Or should I say "f**k it" and come back another day. Would I even come back if I left?

I'm still standing there weighing my options, when I feel a presence directly behind me. I also smell something rather delicious. I'm almost afraid to turn around and see who is wearing my favourite cologne. They are so close I feel heat radiating against my back. I just stand there savouring the scent not wanting this moment spoiled by reality. So much for personal space.

"You need to wait for the bell" a low masculine voice speaks close to my ear. His breath ruffles my hair as he speaks. A tiny shiver goes through my body. His voice matching his masculine aroma. Yummy! "They won't acknowledge you exist until then, union rules or something like that I guess"

I fight against leaning towards the mystery voice, afraid I'd completely embarrass myself by burying my nose into his neck. Before things get too awkward I slowly will myself to turn around. He's closer then I thought and I stumble backwards to avoid failing straight into his chest. My arms flail out as I try and regain my footing. I grab at the only solid thing I can find and I end up with a handful of fleece hoodie that covers the strangers arm.

"Whoa..." He drawls, as helps he helps steady me, a large hand grasps my elbow. I find myself eye level with his chest and even at my five foot eight height I have to tilt my head back just to see his face.

"You okay there?" He asks with a humorous smirk.

"Ya, thanks I'm good" I let him go as I step back and away. "You ever hear of personal space..." I start to say, but it dwindles off as I get a full on view oh the most gorgeous face I have ever seen.

Holy s**t!! He's right out of a Calvin Klein commercial!!

I freeze up as I stare unapologetically.  He looks even better then he smells.

Wow!!

His face breaks into a sexy grin as he watches me watching him.  I'm flustered. I can't speak. My tongue is frozen in place, as is everything else except my eyes, which roam all over his face. They take in his chocolate brown eyes, flanked by the the thickest longest eye lashes I've ever seen. His chiseled cheek bones and square jaw would be the envy of any Hollywood "A" lister. Hair that would put any dark roast coffee to shame is peeking out of the navy blue hoodie that covers his head. Water spots dot his jacket and his cheeks are flushed making me think he's just come in from outside.

We stand there stupidly staring at each other until the shrill of the bell causes us both to startle. Wow talk about being dumbstruck. He steps back and I let go of his arm, looking to the side, embarrassed by my behaviour. Great first impression is all I can think.

"You must be new" I'm grateful he speaks first, since I'm not sure if I can form words yet.

"Was just trying to register" I tilt my head towards the office opening.

"I'm Jesse Stranton" He holds out his hand which I take in mine.

" I'm Grace" I give a slight shake then try and pull back. Jesse grips a little tighter not letting me go.

"Let me help you get registered then I'll show you around." He still holds on. I look between our hands and his face, blushing uncomfortably. Hoping he writes it off to the cold.

"Don't you need to go to class?" I pull back on my hand which he slowly releases. I miss its warmth instantly.

"I'm okay on my own." I hear the words come out of my mouth and instantly want to take them back. Jesse could show me anything he wanted, in any way he wanted. I was 100% on board with that.

"It won't be a problem," he shrugs, giving me a half smile. He runs his hand up to his head tugging his hood off. His hair is longer and wavier then I had thought. And my hands itch to reach up and grab it by the fistful. It's like an unruly mop. Perfecting his whole look. He is beautiful but as I look at him, something strikes me right in the gut,

Oh my God!

The height, the overall look and the confidence. I can now see the age in his face, now that it's not shadowed by the hoodie. Jesse is too old to be a student - he's a freaking teacher!! 

OMG!! Kill me now!!


© 2016 Lyzzie Kent


Author's Note

Lyzzie Kent
Rough draft. Formatting and grammar are raw. Looking for reviews on style, content and dialogue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
You have great flow, a very natural style of description and build up along with a captivating story I'm looking forward to how it unfolds. Great job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Added on February 28, 2016
Last Updated on February 28, 2016
Tags: Firsts, romance, infatuation, love, highs hool


Author

Lyzzie Kent
Lyzzie Kent

Maryville, TN



About
Exceed Expectations more..

Writing
Princess Princess

A Book by Lyzzie Kent