2 - Day One - Awkward & Confused

2 - Day One - Awkward & Confused

A Chapter by Lyzzie Kent
"

Continuation of Day one

"
I manage to get myself registered with out much explanation of why I left Brantford Academy and why I waited this long to enrol here. The guidance Councillor, Ms. Beattie seems more interested in my previous grades and activities, so avoiding having to tell her my story really isn't an issue. It takes just over an hour, but we put together a manageable schedule, that allows me to catch up and graduate with the other seniors. She also hands me a list of clubs the school offers and strongly recommends that I join one or two so that I can assimilate easier into the "Campbell Valley  Student Culture" and make "make life- long friends".

I smile, nod and thank her as I hurry out of the small overly warm office, happy to escape with classes in hand. I'm not concerned with what I take I just want to graduate and to lay low until I turned eighteen.  For me that's all that matters because other then my absent mother, I have no family and the last thing I want is to end up in foster care.

I make my way down the stairs and grab a spot on one of the couches to review my schedule and study the school map before the next class starts. Having already missed going to the first two blocks I check my phone and see that the third block is still 40 minutes away. More then enough time to figure out how to navigate my way there. This next class, Spanish, is the last one of the morning , the one just prior to lunch.  Then I go to AP English and then Gym right before I head home. It was explained that all students have eight classes all year long, and that the school day consists of  five class blocks. Three shorter ones in the morning and two longer blocks after lunch. They rotate through the schedule daily so each class eventually received equal time. My second block (the one I should be now) is a study block that I'm grateful to have. Ms. Beattie also provided me with a list of tutors available for each subject I am behind on.

As I study the school map, I notice movement off to my right and my heart jumps when Jesse Stratton plops himself down beside me. Or I should say Mr. Stratton.

"Get registered?" Hearing him speak, sends tingles right down to my toes. I can't get over the fact that I mistook him for a student. All the teachers at Brantford Academy looked like teachers. Mr. Stratton just looks hot. And definitely not teacher hot.

"I did. Spent a lovely hour with Ms. Beattie" I say somewhat sarcastically. "She welcomed me to the school and just knows I'll make life-long friends" I finish up with a sardonic laugh.  Mr. Stratton continues to watch me as I pretend to read my schedule over again. Why is he sitting with me? Does not have any classes to teach? 

"She's okay if you give her a chance.  Most of the teachers here are.  It's one of better schools in the district to spend your day at all things considered." I can hear the smile in his voice and it turns my insides to mush. I can also feel him watching me, closely, causing my chest to flush. I force my self to sit still and not squirm in my seat. He smells so yummy and the urge to get closer is strong.

Holy crap, I've got to get a grip.

I never once considered that I would be one of those girls who crush on their teacher. I don't crush on anyone. It's normally the other way around.

"Once you settle in you might even like it here. Is that your schedule?" He points to the paper in my hand. "Can I take a look? "

"Sure, Nothing too exciting on there" I add as I hand it over avoiding eye contact my feelings no doubt written all over my face.

He takes his time as he studies my class list, and I can't help wondering why. His interest excites me. We can all fantasize can't we?

I watch as he brings his hand to his head and absentmindedly runs it through his hair while he reads. I'm so enthralled by his movements that I don't notice his hand is out passing back my schedule.

"Doesn't look so bad, you've got some pretty good teachers and one great one." He grins at his last words. "You going to be able to keep up? Some of those classes look fairly intense." It's a casual question laced with interest.

"Should be ok"  I shrug as I take my papers back, stuffing them into my backpack. "Never been an issue before, I just want to get through this year and graduate."  He just waits expecting me to say more. After an awkward moment, I feel compelled to speak.

"I went to a private school, down south on the coast.  The curriculum was on a fast  track so the senior year is geared more toward College prep. Most of my classes last year will equal my classes this year. Spanish is the only class that I've never taken, so it's new to me." 

I pause watching for Mr. Stratton's reaction to what I've said. Silently he nods his head as if thinking over my words. His silence makes me continue on.

"I have the first four months to make up time in.  All my academic courses I can catch up based on exams, it's only Gym and Spanish that will require extra work."  I'm uncomfortable talking about myself, hoping he doesn't ask the questions I know I would be curious about. Like why I ended up in this particular school, a thousand miles away from my last one.

"So I think I might need to find a Spanish tutor from the list Ms. Beattie gave me.  Or I have really no hope of passing."  I stop talking, running out of things to say.

I start to play with stands of my hair, needing something to do with my hands. I'm not used to this type of attention especially from a teacher and I'm at a loss. I'm also wildly attracted to him and I don't want to be the girl that flirts with her teacher. So not cool.

I reach into the front pocket of my backpack and pull out my iPhone, pushing the home button I check out the time. Still fifteen minutes to go. I start to fiddle with my phone, checking both emails and texts that I know don't exist.

"Don't you have a class you need to be in?"  I abruptly ask. "Or to get ready for? Something else to do?"  I still look down at my phone and I can sense his puzzlement.

"I do" I hear amusement as he speaks "but I'd rather talk to you. You seemed unsure and uncomfortable at the office, so I wanted to make sure you were ok when I saw you sitting here looking lost"  He leans forward his elbows resting on his knees, his face rests in his palm as he turns towards me.

"You look familiar and I can't really place why I think so" He studies my face, and tries to catch my eyes.  I avoid that at all costs. He doesn't need to see the fear that lurks there after hearing his last words. As much as I like his attention I fear him scrutinizing me. Too many family secrets in my past.

"You also don't seem very happy about being here, and I thought I could help." He pushes himself up and off the couch. I just watch him as he raises to his full height towering over my sitting form. Before he turns to walk away, he speaks one last time.

"Grace, change is hard for everyone, and being torn away from what your familiar with is particularly hard, especially at your age.  If you need a friend or someone to talk to I'd be happy to be that person. Anytime"   I force out a smile as I feel tears start to build.

"Thank you," I mumble, "but I'll be fine." That comes out a bit louder.

"I know you will." Mr. Stanton nods as if knows I won't be. "Just remember what I said"  He walks about ten feet away before he suddenly turns and adds "See you in Gym"

I watch his retreating form unsure what to think about our whole encounter. It was awkward and has left me confused.


© 2016 Lyzzie Kent


Author's Note

Lyzzie Kent
It's all about the style and content. Rough draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on February 28, 2016
Last Updated on February 28, 2016
Tags: Firsts, romance, friends, highs school


Author

Lyzzie Kent
Lyzzie Kent

Maryville, TN



About
Exceed Expectations more..

Writing
Princess Princess

A Book by Lyzzie Kent





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5